Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 21. Rumors and discussion

7 hours ago, MAB said:

If you don't like most of them, the answer is simple. Don't buy them. I collected from Series 1 and this happened to me, but it was about Series 12-15 that I realised they were losing their appeal as a complete collection.

I’ll still voice dissatisfaction. I rest my case but alien queens and winter/fall fairies sound fun to me and violin kids in regular clothing don’t. We have different opinions and that is okay. I just hope next series has a greater share of figures that wow me.

8 hours ago, MAB said:

Right. Licensed aliens doing what they do in popular movies in licensed sets are completely understandable. But that doesn't mean I'd want to see an alien hairdresser, alien surfer, alien skateboarder, alien dentist, alien butcher, alien chef, alien diner waitress, alien skier, alien wearing a giraffe suit, and so on. They make little sense. And can also be easily made if you really want to putting an alien head on the body of whatever City style character is necessary.

If you don't like most of them, the answer is simple. Don't buy them. I collected from Series 1 and this happened to me, but it was about Series 12-15 that I realised they were losing their appeal as a complete collection.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

On another note, it is a shame that these do seem to have lost some appeal as a complete collection for many. I think it was inevitable, though. As the years go by, the kinds of selections they make will shift. I was extremely disappointed with the heavy focus on City for S20, for instance.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:55 AM, MAB said:

If you don't like most of them, the answer is simple. Don't buy them.

I see this comment all the time on nerd forums, and hate it every time. I can only interpret it as "Don't complain."

Half the point of forums like these it to complain about what we don't like. Without that, we'd just be a bunch of squealing fanboys.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:16 AM, cosmic said:

I’ll still voice dissatisfaction.

Good! Criticisms are usually more fun to read than the alternative, IMO.

Edited by danth

I'm definitely bummed that this series only has 12 figures. I'm not a huge fan of licensed themes, so getting even less unlicensed figures per year is disheartening. Objectively, it also places a limit on the variety of themes a series can possess. That being said, I don't feel as though more recent series, like Series 19 and Series 20, have been using that opportunity to provide said variety adequately. Series 21 makes that even more evident by still including three costumed figures. And for me, it's all in the details. I usually end up liking at least one part from each figure, but I feel like I'm getting more for my money when I like more of the figure. Here's my initial thoughts on each, but overall it's on par with recent series.

Centaur Warrior: Glad to finally get a centaur! The hairpiece, while nice to get a new color, is not my favorite style. The accessories are also ho-hum; I would have liked to see an apple color more closer to a granny smith apple, in Bright Yellow Green or even Yellowish Green. However, I love the torso. I think it will go great with the S16 Rogue, as I totally hate his Dark Red shoulder detailing.

Shipwreck Survivor: Decent. I don't believe his hairpiece color is new, but it is rather rare. The Hermit Crab is definitely the star, and a surprise addition to the animal collection! The shell necklace, tattered shorts, and note-in-a-bottle are all nice little details.

Pug Costume Guy: He's okay. The most notable thing for me is that he's the first figure with mid-sized legs in an unlicensed series. At least his accessory is a new color.

Beekeeper: One of my favorites from this series, and definitely one I've been waiting to see! My only very slight disappointments are 1) the bees on the honeycomb tile feel like an inaccurate depiction; most of the time, bees walk along the honeycomb surface, giving a top-down view of the bee instead of a side view, and 2) the smoker parts coming in two different colors.

Ladybug Girl: A second animal costume? That's a first, Series 18 not considered. Definitely have a fondness for the food costumes and I'm missing it here. For me, this is the better animal costume of the two in this series. The ladybug tile is really cute!

Violin Kid: I see this figure as a more overt way to appeal to children, since having the figure be a child makes it more relatable to their target audience. Like others, I would have preferred an adult with a violin and appropriate attire for a classical music performance. It's not like that idea is new - look at the S11 Jazz Musician or the S16 Mariachi. We could have had a woman in a simple gown, or a man using the bow-tie neck piece and the cloth coattail element. Instead we have a child with a green hoodie, graphic tee, and plain short legs. LEGO might have wanted to try something less formulaic, but I feel it limits the potential of the violin piece itself, which is beautiful. The violin bow is a decent reuse of the wand.

Alien: That name is disappointingly nondescript. He looks like a escaped criminal with his orange jumpsuit, crowbar, and crystal, but LEGO left the name as it is to prevent a negative connotation. Alien Outlaw would have been appropriate... Name aside, it's very cohesive, I like the head mold and the details on the jumpsuit, and it's refreshing to see an alien without a gun for once.

Space Police Guy: Boring. I think LEGO noticed this and decided to over-accessorize him with boring accessories. He's an obvious contextual counterpart to the Alien. I don't like his color scheme. I think it's the visor and the body armor. The visor would look better as a translucent blue and the armor appears to be the same color as the one from the S13 Galaxy Trooper. I would have preferred White - I'm still holding out for a Space Medic with white armor.

Ancient Warrior: Best figure of the series, and a total surprise! Everything about him is awesome. The obsidian club and jaguar helmet are amazingly accurate molds. This is the level of design I would like to see in every figure in a series.

Airplane Girl: Like the Violin Kid, I see this figure as another attempt at engaging the target audience, but possibly less obviously. Looking back to the S18 Race Car Guy, you basically have a detailed race car driver wearing a car suit. I would have wanted something similar for the Airplane Girl - a detailed pilot wearing an airplane suit. At the very least, I wish the airplane wasn't red like the car.

Cabaret Singer: Unexpected. And well done! The headdress is perfect - hope to see that in more colors! The accessory is fine and different from previous mic stands, but I'm interested to see how the cloth element works. Strange that it's in a different color than rest of the outfit...

Paddle Boarder: Detailed, but another example of an over-accessorized figure to cover up the fact that its kind of boring. It's almost a mishmash of a diver and a surfer. At least all the elements are in new colors and prints. In particular, I appreciate the new dolphin color and the unisex torso.

Edited by telaruhn

Violin-playing kid in casual clothes don’t bother me at all. What if violin playing is a kid’s natural talent? Or is he practicing a violin at home for school concert? 

Adult members of orchestra with different musical instruments sound nice. Like harp, cello, etc. 

11 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Couldn't have said it better myself!

On another note, it is a shame that these do seem to have lost some appeal as a complete collection for many. I think it was inevitable, though. As the years go by, the kinds of selections they make will shift. I was extremely disappointed with the heavy focus on City for S20, for instance.

Fatigue & ...freshness(in a sense) have hurt this theme as well. Early on of course the excitement is there with all these new types of minifigs that had to other themes or ones that we never would have thought we’d see. The accessories are still stand outs, but minifgs as a whole really aren’t(at least for me). 

I think the price, even before it hit this current $5 mark, was an even bigger factor. Looking at the theme as a whole they haven’t really upped their game. For that price if we’re going to see reused hairpieces at least give us a new or rare color. Arm printing. Something we don’t usually see in regular theme minifgs. 

13 hours ago, danth said:

I see this comment all the time on nerd forums, and hate it every time. It can only interpret it as "Don't complain."

Half the point of forums like these it to complain about what we don't like. Without that, we'd just be a bunch of squealing fanboys.

I don't mean don't complain. I mean don't buy the ones you don't like, instead buy the ones you do or something else or make something else from them. Especially when the alternatives put forward are not likely to make any sense to the majority of people or even be useful parts for others. Such as the idea of the lion barber. What would that be? A (plain) lion minifigure with scissors? Or a lion dressed in a traditional barber shop apron. If the latter, the parts are likely to be too specific to be used for other lion characters or for human barbers. If the former, it just looks like LEGO included a random accessory with a figure. In that case they might as well include something relevant, maybe a T-bone steak or similar. Have a generic lion figure rather than a lion doing a specific job figure. And if it is a barber torso that could be used for a human, then it makes much more sense to have a lion figure and a human barber figure, rather than putting a lion's head on a barber's torso.

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Tennessee, USA

129955928_2134783899992011_7457212493793267478_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Q7ppbYOnFrcAX-9uB-D&_nc_ht=scontent.fsjo7-1.fna&tp=6&oh=ff985197fb9cffc250b128564a8ddca9&oe=5FF697CC

Did you tack that picture or is this from the internet?

I was in my local Wal-Mart today and seeing the bins out by the toy section full of little stocking stuffer items for Christmas. Of course, there were a few bins of Lego items, and one of them was one of the smaller build bags with Harry Potter, Hedwig and the dining table with food. I looked at the price, $4.97 American. And although people have been talking about this for a while now, it suddenly truly sank into my brain for the first time that you got all of that for $5, and yet Lego is now selling the CMFs for that same price. It certainly put things into perspective, and not in a good way ...

The HP polybag was made using existing in-production parts so they only had to produce the polybag itself and the instructions.

Across Series 21 they have a number of expensive new molds (including the hermit crab, airplane costume, singer headdress, violin, beekeeper headgear, ladybug shell and others), a VERY large number of new printed elements and a whole bunch of recolored elements.

Its not surprising CMFs have a higher cost of production (and hence a higher price for the same amount of LEGO) than something like a promotional polybag.

Edited by jonwil

43 minutes ago, jonwil said:

The HP polybag was made using existing in-production parts so they only had to produce the polybag itself and the instructions.

Across Series 21 they have a number of expensive new molds (including the hermit crab, airplane costume, singer headdress, violin, beekeeper headgear, ladybug shell and others), a VERY large number of new printed elements and a whole bunch of recolored elements.

Its not surprising CMFs have a higher cost of production (and hence a higher price for the same amount of LEGO) than something like a promotional polybag.

Plus poly bags are promotional. Part of the reason they exist is to tempt people into buying the larger sets in the theme.

On 12/6/2020 at 8:33 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, having been absent around here for about a month, you'd think official pics of a new CMS would drag me back; and yet one week later, only now I'm sharing my thoughts, and there's just not much to say. Even in spite of the debut of some long-desired archetypes from this Series (the Beekeeper, Space Cop, and a Centaur), it just feels so underwhelming as a whole, as I find all the designs leaving much to be desired. Plus, it really doesn't help that three "costumed" CMF still are taking up a quarter of this newly reduced line-up (and on a personal note, that Airplane Suit Girl could've easily been an Aviatrix for crying out loud)... :ugh:

Cynicism aside though, the Jaguar Warrior is rather decent, and the Space Cop's simplicity does have a more "Classic" charm about it. :shrug_oh_well:

It seems the Aviatrix is coming anyway

Set 40450 is called "Amelia Earhart TrIbute"

On 12/12/2020 at 4:27 PM, Robert8 said:

It seems the Aviatrix is coming anyway

Set 40450 is called "Amelia Earhart TrIbute"

Ya don't say... :oh3: ... where was this first reported? Were there any other details given? :excited:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

14 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ya don't say... :oh3: ... where was this first reported? Were there any other details given? :excited:

I saw it on IG among other sets listed for 2021

Nothing else was mentioned.

Now that I think about it... could it be one of those mosaic sets?

I hope it would be like that Christmas Carol set. Like a vignette

Just now, Robert8 said:

I saw it on IG among other sets listed for 2021

Nothing else was mentioned.

Now that I think about it... could it be one of those mosaic sets?

I hope it would be like that Christmas Carol set. Like a vignette

I suppose it could be a Mosaic, but even for that theme it'd seem a little random? :shrug_confused:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I suppose it could be a Mosaic, but even for that theme it'd seem a little random? :shrug_confused:

If the Earhart set ends up just being a mosaic, there will be huge and well-deserved criticism.

It should be a vignette similar to Women of NASA.

21 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiU_KqygtDtAhXDnFwKHd28BikQFjACegQIBRAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lego.com%2Fcdn%2Fcs%2Flegal%2Fassets%2Fblt4e629c14e0d0841b%2FSmall_Parts-Smal_Balls_Rest_of_World_Jan-Mar_2021.xlsx&usg=AOvVaw3nRN6j6EBqB64gbyEKCqW_

LEGO often release this stuff by putting non-public files on their public server. Follow that link and you get a list of items that require safety warnings due to small parts. I think the product numbers have been messed up but they have set names and dates and so on.

On 12/9/2020 at 5:52 PM, danth said:

I see this comment all the time on nerd forums, and hate it every time. I can only interpret it as "Don't complain."

Good! Criticisms are usually more fun to read than the alternative, IMO.

I think it's more of the incessant complaining some people do.  I mean nobody wants to wade through pages of complaints.  Obviously they can improve on sets and figs there is always room for improvement I think everyone realizes that or I hope they do.  I'm not saying don't complain everyone has their right to their opinion.  I just think it gets old when the same person complains about something for pages.  Constructive criticism is always helpful and usually appreciated by most.  Also Lego can be viewed as art and like art everyone will see something different.  Which leads to the fact that you can't please everyone but you say your piece and move on.  

On 12/9/2020 at 10:01 PM, telaruhn said:

Ladybug Girl: A second animal costume? That's a first, Series 18 not considered.

Well Series 19 had a pizza suit guy, a fox suit girl and a rainbow panda suit guy. 20 had an alpaca girl, a peas in a pod suit girl and a green brick suit guy. So its on par with past series but perhaps more notable due to the smaller batch.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:01 PM, telaruhn said:

it's refreshing to see an alien without a gun for once.

I know right! Should have been hair clippers :grin_wub: :sarcasm:

11 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I think it's more of the incessant complaining some people do.  I mean nobody wants to wade through pages of complaints. 

Since the initial comment was directed at me I’ll say this. The back and forth was more so disagreements on my proposed alterations to the series, and me responding  to how I felt, either compromises could have been made or more exciting and less polarizing figured could have been made. I’m just a technical person who felt like my point wasn’t quite being expressed or understood in the way I wanted it. The back and forth was more that than actual complaining about the figures themselves. It was me throwing suggestions and responding to the critique of my critique. But either way if the back and forth that went for a page or so crowded the discussion I make no apologies because thats not a big deal to me and honestly as long as it didn’t take up 3-5 or god knows how many pages it wasn’t too crazy a back and forth (to me). But hey if cluttered messages bug you, you probably didn’t finish reading this. Hehe. :shrug_oh_well:

EDIT: Just counted and I started my critique at the bottom of page 15 and responded to disagreements on 16 and once on 17. Having only took u the bottom of 15 and one comment on 17 on that discussion I stand by my initial point that, it wasn’t that bad (some internet forums go on tangents that can last dozens of pages and I’m the type of nut job to engage in those haha) but again if it was too much for you, I encourage you not to go on any sports forums as rumor has it disagreements there can uhh, last a while.

Edited by cosmic

@Robert8 I was already wondering what the box distributions were. It seems the 30 pack boxes are back and the distribution looks horrible. I don't need that many riot gear police. Hopefully it is just a first badge with an inconsistent distribution as we have seen before.

3 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

@Robert8 I was already wondering what the box distributions were. It seems the 30 pack boxes are back and the distribution looks horrible. I don't need that many riot gear police. Hopefully it is just a first badge with an inconsistent distribution as we have seen before.

With the distribution he got, I wonder if they are completely random, so the boxes are not necessarily the same this time.