Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 21. Rumors and discussion

Cardboard boxes for cmf series. I dunno. I usually want two or three figs from a series.  It’s good that they change to more eco friendly packaging, but maybe they should also just print who is in it. 

4 hours ago, aimo said:

Did you guys see that scary leak on Instagram that claims the new minifigures series will have no plastic bags but a box like card bag? Do you think those rumors are legit?

Maybe there are a few reasons: pandemic and eco friendly stuff? Lego is planning to ditch single-use plastic bags but I never thought about plastic blind bags. It’s pretty interesting to switch plastic bags with cardboard box. I don’t know how I feel about it...

Edited by DBlegonerd7

16 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

Yes I have an entirely different view on this.

I may sound a little harsh but I hope you see the reason behind.

Point 1 : More sets = more chanches for people to get something they want. I personally don't care about Star Wars, but I don't complain for the SW sets as they're making a very good work. The Cantina is fabulous. 
Point 2 : If you can't say no to a child, well that is your problem. Why should it be TLG's? It's your child after all. 
Point 3: if there are people who can afford those sets, let them buy those. Where's the problem? I myself can afford just a bunch of them, and I buy the ones I can. I feel no remorse nor regret in leaving some stuff on the shelves because I can't afford them.

LEGO is a toy. It is just that. It's surely something with values, interests, it's not your usual toy.
But in the end of the day it's something superflous and unnecessary.

I would understand such complaints on food or clothings... but on LEGO? This seem really a first world problem to me.

Mantra is: if you have enough money buy, if you don't leave and don't feel bad for that. 

EDIT: I personally find a very big difference from series 1 in which THREE figures did not even have an hairpiece/headgear (zombie, wrestler and crash test dummy) and series 19 in which a minifigure had a whole bike with it or series 20 in which a minifigure had a drone with its remote.
So, that's not the average case, you have also good figures in series 1 and meh figures in series 20, I of course can see that, but in series 1 the figures had no arm printing and no dual molded legs etc... which is now the average. People has complained on figs quality so they had to increase it but if they increase the quality they have to increase the price too. 

TLG is a company they have the goal to make money. If you were a company, your goal would have been to make money too.
It's like blaming a car for consuming fuel. I believe you should just accept things for the way they are.

It's not harsh, I've seen similar opinions within the warhammer community and knew what I was letting myself in for :laugh:

(point 2)

Just a slight correction, I didn't say its difficult to say no to a kid... I said it's easier to say no to a kid than it is to yourself. (I have no kid of my own, but I have no problem telling someone no, but if its for myself, sliiiiiightly more difficult :snicker: because I've been a kid, learned to appreciate what I have by being told no. I now have my disposable income, but it doesn't mean I have to spend it on lego. But, because I have it, and they release a very decent looking set that really spikes my interest, it becomes more difficult to find reason not to buy it, other than 'I'll live without it'. 

(point 1) Oh without a doubt they are making good sets, and without a wide range of sets to become available, we wouldnt have half of the decent sets we have today. 

However I now find myself in the position to afford sets, but not buying any, because there's too much choice. Even the ones I want. I feel saturated with it all. If there was less choice, I'd likely be happy to continue with my purchases, which typically consist of Star wars ucs, modular, fairground, and recently Harry Potter. 

But seeing the potential incoming size/cost of the next Harry Potter wave, I'm literally only going to get the Diagon Alley related set (rumoured, not concrete) and perhaps modular, but likely none else. Unless they knock the ucs Republic gunship outta the park with its design. 

But just because I don't have to buy it, doesn't mean they aren't getting greedy. Just because it's a business and businesses exist for profit, doesn't mean they're exempt from the possibility of becoming greedy. 

I have to say, I don't fall in the category of pushing for more bits, more quality, more printing. I entirely love the zombie figs, and am happy if they have no accessory or hair. It's how the fig goes best. I loved the crash test dummy fig (although didn't get it, that series came and went before I became aware of cmf's) and again, see no desire to have an increase in arm print or some accessory. If I'm honest as well, I don't see the big deal in dual moulding legs. I understand *why*, but I'm not on the hype train for it. It is what it is. It just gives people another reason to be picky about the lack of something when it 'could have had it'. :def_shrug:

You're right, it is a first world problem. Because we're in the first world economy. Buying a first world luxury item. Doesn't mean we can't have our first world gripes about it. 

If I had a business to make money, and I made money, if I had enough to live the rest of my life comfortably, and provide a decent fund to provide my kids the ability to chase their dream job without a lack of money to stop them, then I'd pack it in. I wouldn't feel the need to have more money than I could spend in a lifetime. Short sighted? Yeah you could say. But in the grand scheme of things, I'm just a blip in a timeline of millions of years. As is TLG. The world will continue to revolve. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

5 hours ago, Borex said:

Cardboard boxes for cmf series. I dunno. I usually want two or three figs from a series.  It’s good that they change to more eco friendly packaging, but maybe they should also just print who is in it. 

If true, it would make feeling for figures more difficult.  May be a way to try and sell more full boxes, especially now that they're smaller.

Right now would be the perfect time for them to this, avoiding fan backlash

They can say it's for the coronavirus... 

Edited by Robert8

Considering I'm highly probably a very cynical person, I have to say I think TLG are damned if they do, and damned if they don't with this (if true).

They have an opportunity to go green for something they sell a lot of (they must sell a lot or I'm sure we wouldn't be into series 21 at this point). It's kind of at a good time too, as it assists the 'covid situation'... And it truly provides the '1 random fig' experience. 

However, it can also very easily be seen, as mentioned above, a way to sell more full boxes as people will want to be guaranteed a set and there's less to collect, so, a sneaky way of ensuring more get sold... people would potentially buy more as they'd have to put up with the chance of getting ones they don't want in order to get the ones they do want because truly blind... 

I do not believe the latter is intentionally intended, it is just a potential result which may be seen to benefit them financially. 

However, for me, unless I explicitly want an entire set, I probably won't bother with them anymore unless the names are printed on the boxes, but, I doubt they will be. I personally don't want to have to buy a whole box just to ensure I get the ones I want and then have to sell off the rest, people typically want to know what they're buying but a lot want new too. It'll create a wider market for opened figs that'll leave people with the ones no one really wants at a price that's highly likely close to rrp but not quite, because that's the only way people can guarantee what fig they are selling once they've bought a box, so there'll literally only be sellers selling opened ones. 

Maybe... Who knows :shrug_confused:

I just know I prefer to know what I'm buying. 

Got to praise them for going eco though :thumbup:

On 10/18/2020 at 6:43 AM, Lacdaran said:

I'm obviously in the minority, but I'm happy to pay $5 if the quality is there.  If lego is having any issue with the unlicensed CMF I think its driven by making boring generic figures.  Just look at Harry Potter series 2 versus Series 20, the quality and creativity difference is astounding. (Although, don't get me wrong, HP S2 has some duds as well).  

The rumored cost of the new Harry Potter wave is scary though.  Hoping for some duds there to protect my pocket book.

I kinda agree. If the parts & prints are great, I’m okay with paying $5. At least in some instances. Like the Dog Sitter. She came with two dogs, one of which is brand new. That’s not a bad deal to me. However, paying $5 for that Firefighter was not happening. As long as they give us fun new parts/colors-like the keytar- I’m happy.  $5 is pretty much my ceiling though. Unless I really loved them I can’t see myself buying them if they go up in price. With the probable exception being HP. Being a huge fan I’m not sure I could resist. 

Edited by Vindicare

Just a random thought about the rumored cardboard boxes; A lot of toys nowadays are -you-don’t-know-which-character-you-get-but-some-are-extra-rare. Especially for girls. L.O.L, Num-Noms, Cloudees and whatnot. Most of the times the toys are way overpriced, but they have a different approach. Parents and even kids won’t buy a lot of them, because the chance of getting doubles is too high and they are too pricey to buy lots. Also the packaging has some sort of gimmick most of the times. Slime, or it can be used for playing or portraying your toy. 
Maybe Lego wants to be more like those toys with the cmf series? They can pull that off, if the cardboard packaging will be like a mini set that integrates with the figure what’s in it. With a few extra accessoires. And looking more like a present that you buy for your kids. I mean a boxed present looks better than a tin foiled sack, right?

Edited by Borex

2 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I kinda agree. If the parts & prints are great, I’m okay with paying $5. At least in some instances. Like the Dog Sitter. She came with two dogs, one of which is brand new. That’s not a bad deal to me. However, paying $5 for that Firefighter was not happening. As long as they give us fun new parts/colors-like the keytar- I’m happy.  $5 is pretty much my ceiling though. Unless I really loved them I can’t see myself buying them if they go up in price. With the probable exception being HP. Being a huge fan I’m not sure I could resist. 

100% agree :sweet: If they give us 2 animals per fig like the dogsitter I have no problem paying up, however that has only happened once and to me most of the figs are not worth the asking price. They can be nice, but not great so it is not worth the price. Unless they are HP where I get everything I will most likely just buy the animals and or figs I want from BL :shrug_oh_well:

I think the change to the boxes instead of packs is two-fold. 1. Eco-friendly packaging. 2. They need to sell something new to retailers. CMFs have become expensive and do not sell that well at RRP. Boxes and boxes of packets sitting on shelves unless discounted. So they need to refresh what the product is and they are doing it through packaging. These are no longer cheap looking blind bag toys, they are now premium blind boxed toys.

They are at a point that I've lost interest in them, again two-fold. 1. Price and 2. lack of anything interesting for me. I'd now prefer they did away with them completely. Just do $12-15 "battle packs" containing four related figures and some accessories or a small build.

At least we know Series 21 will be still blind bags, because that's how they show them in the retailer catalog

If anything, the first series with blind boxes would be the spring one (Looney Tunes) 

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

At least we know Series 21 will be still blind bags, because that's how they show them in the retailer catalog

Could it not be a prelim that differ from the finished product as usual? :shrug_oh_well:

16 hours ago, Borex said:

This has been brought up by others before many times, but the biggest downside to disclosing the contents of CMF packages is that there'll always be a few shelf warmers among a given Series' selection, so with that you can expect Lego to play it even safer and not give us more "riskier" archetypes that'd be desired by more select interest groups. Collectable Minifigure Series have give us so many archetypes that would've never been produced if it weren't for the blind bag model; so, if ya think the last few CMS have been playing it too safe, it'd be much worse if they'd disclose the contents. :sceptic:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

This has been brought up by others before many times, but the biggest downside to disclosing the contents of CMF packages is that there'll always be a few shelf warmers among a given Series' selection, so with that you can expect Lego to play it even safer and not give us more "riskier" archetypes that'd be desired by more select interest groups. Collectable Minifigure Series have give us so many archetypes that would've never been produced if it weren't for the blind bag model; so, if ya think the last few CMS have been playing it too safe, it'd be much worse if they'd disclose the contents. :sceptic:

That might be true indeed. Best case scenario will be that they are all army-builders so it won’t be a bad thing when you buy multiple of a figure. 

$5 CMFs in boxes, so I can't avoid tired-butt City minifigure archetypes? Assuming they aren't doing a new mold with every figure, and they haven't hired Robert8 to head the CMF design team, I'm gonna have to give this line a hard pass.

Vinnie-Mac.gif

Edited by K_Tiger
Pretty tricky word substitution, Eurobricks.

49 minutes ago, Borex said:

Best case scenario will be that they are all army-builders so it won’t be a bad thing when you buy multiple of a figure. 

Heh, then you probably can expect army-builders like construction workers, firefighters, and more policemen... :ugh:

3 hours ago, Borex said:

Maybe some more surfers or skateboarders as well

The zombie surfer is long overdue tbh 

20 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

If I had a business to make money, and I made money, if I had enough to live the rest of my life comfortably, and provide a decent fund to provide my kids the ability to chase their dream job without a lack of money to stop them, then I'd pack it in. I wouldn't feel the need to have more money than I could spend in a lifetime. Short sighted? Yeah you could say. But in the grand scheme of things, I'm just a blip in a timeline of millions of years. As is TLG. The world will continue to revolve. 

Honestly I'd say: make the money. When you got the money, come and tell me you wanna stop.
I dare you. :laugh:

9 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Could it not be a prelim that differ from the finished product as usual? :shrug_oh_well:

The content, yes

The packaging.... I don't think so

They cant promote these as bling bags with retailers and store owners and then send little boxes latter on (at least I don't think so. I'm just guessing)

16 hours ago, Roebuck said:

100% agree :sweet: If they give us 2 animals per fig like the dogsitter I have no problem paying up, however that has only happened once and to me most of the figs are not worth the asking price. They can be nice, but not great so it is not worth the price. Unless they are HP where I get everything I will most likely just buy the animals and or figs I want from BL :shrug_oh_well:

Even having one new animal or other cool accessory would be enough for me to pay $5...so long as the minifig was cool as well. Case in point, this years Diver. Great new animal, below sub par minifig. The mountain bike. Another cool accessory with a below average minifig(that I still passed on). 

Except where HP is concerned...like you, I’m a huge HP fan(Team Hufflepuff!) so everything is making its way to me. I worry where I’d draw the line on price though. :laugh: When will my head win the battle with my heart & just say “no more.”

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

The content, yes

The packaging.... I don't think so

They cant promote these as bling bags with retailers and store owners and then send little boxes latter on (at least I don't think so. I'm just guessing)

A lot of the prelim set pictures are of such a bad quality or of a stand in box so they are basically ordering blindly anyway so I guess they can, but we will know soon anyway :shrug_oh_well:

5 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Even having one new animal or other cool accessory would be enough for me to pay $5...so long as the minifig was cool as well. Case in point, this years Diver. Great new animal, below sub par minifig. The mountain bike. Another cool accessory with a below average minifig(that I still passed on).

Yes lately it has been most great accessory's with normal figs or sometimes great figs with bad accessory's, it is hard to get a CMF with a good combination of both categories :wall:

6 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Team Hufflepuff!

No wonder we agree :grin_wub::tongue:

14 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

Honestly I'd say: make the money. When you got the money, come and tell me you wanna stop.
I dare you. :laugh:

Not everyone wants more money than they can spend. If you believe my stance would change if it actually happened? Then you simply don't know me :shrug_confused:

Back on topic, it'll be good news if that packaging is only from a closed survey, means it's not a definite final design choice, and something else less 'random' could be on the horizon. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

October is nearly over. I’m pretty sure there will be leaks regard S21 soon (if S21 is still intended to be released in Jan 2021).