Mandalorianknight

75280 501st legion clone troopers MODs

So, a few days ago I finally received my copies of the 501st battle pack. Is it a great set? yes. Is it the greatest set of all time? Definitely not. Here I'll share some minor mods I've made to the BARCs, more major ones to the AT-RTs, and what I did with the leftover parts.

BARC MODS: 

The BARC speeder is hilariously oversized. I didn't try to produce a fully correctly scaled BARC, just to trim it down while keeping the detail and overall shape intact. It only uses parts from the actual build in the set, although it does require use of one of the "extra pieces" included with the set, a 3l bar. Here it is, along with the unaltered BARC:

IMG_6715.jpgThe official barc is to the left, my modded one to the right. It's a few studs shorter, not quite as tall, and significant cuts from the back and the front.

AT-RT MODS: 

The AT-RT is also hilariously oversized, although unlike the barc I was unable to downsize it without using extra parts. The only parts I add are some ball and socket joints due to the fact that the joints in the official AT-RT cannot make a substantially smaller vehicle without removing substantial articulation.

IMG_6723.jpgAs you can see it's a lot smaller. The feet are still a bit oversized, maybe the head too, but I think it looks nice, kind of chibi.

As far as stability, it's a bit easier to tip over than the other AT-RT, but it can comfortably be positioned in a wide range of poses without falling over.

IMG_6724.jpg

So here's what one copy of the set gets you with the mods. The side build is more so meant to show the amount of pieces, it's not something I'd want to display, but maybe if you've got some kids they might like it.

IMG_6726.jpg

Here's what two copies get you with the mods. I tried to make something like a 501st version of the clone command center from attack of the clones, it's not really a good build but again it's more so to show the number of parts left over.

That's it for the mods, if you've got any mods i'd love to see them, too!

Edited by Mandalorianknight

11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

So, a few days ago I finally received my copies of the 501st battle pack. Is it a great set? yes. Is it the greatest set of all time? Definitely not.

Well, you can't expect much from a $30 set.

I thought about starting another topic but since the subject is the exact same I decided to highjack and resurrect this one for now.

So, I finally got around to fidget with my 501st BPs while looking for alternative builds/mods on youtube, and managed with minimal part adding (4 pieces) to get what I wanted from the AT-RT: something nice but scaled with the green one from 75151 which -to me at least- is the perfect compromise for minifig scale.
1341438391_WhatsAppImage2021-02-13at23_52.47(2).thumb.jpeg.0e751cb080832372b79c94ce2c4f56f9.jpeg

Only one meh quality picture for now, but I'll probably add more in the future.
As stated the only additions are the middle leg pieces with different click hinges on the ends, the 3L technic barrels (2L pins with axle socket on one end) and the ball+axle connectors. The rest of the pieces come from bag 2 of the set and the design is a slightly modified one based on this video.
Not so sure about the feet, I think @Mandalorianknight solution may be better, but they'll do for now.

Now all that's left is to figure out a build with the rest of the pieces and then we'll be ready to invade Umbara once more.