Sign in to follow this  
kahir88

Custom Minifigures - The First Law

Greetings!

I hade little trouble finding the right theme for this entry, but, LotR builds are welcomed here, I thought another, fantasy-themed book is allowed too. I hope some of you know the author and his work. He is Joe Abercrombie, and he's the author of the First Law trilogy. 

The series is set in an epic fantasy world called the Circle of the World, which is reminiscent of medieval Europe. Magic was once a force in this world but now seems to be fading, to the point that most people don’t believe in it. The action, for the most part, takes place in or regards people from the central realm known as the Union. The Union appears to be in a state of near-perpetual war, constantly maneuvered into seemingly useless conflicts by a dysfunctional government and an uncompromisingly proud foreign policy. In the frigid north, it rumbles towards an inevitable war with the Northmen, a rough alliance of barbarous, warmongering tribes. In the heat-ravaged south, the Union and Gurkish Empire are in a conflict over control of the city of Dagoska. The story follows the fortunes and misfortunes of bad people who do the right thing, good people who do the wrong thing, stupid people who do the stupid thing, and, well, pretty much any combination of the above. Survival is no mean feat, and at the end of the day, dumb luck might be more of an asset than any amount of planning, skill, or noble intention. (from wiki)

I would like to show some of the major characters from the books. I hope you will like them, and if you like a good fantasy story, this will encourage you, to start reading it. I started a year ago, and I almost finished the trilogy. :)

---

Harding Grim

50345529592_14cb56d859.jpg

“Uh.”

–Harding Grim. 

Harding Grim is a Named Man, a masterful archer, and well known for hardly saying anything. He's part of Logen Ninefingers's original crew.

---

The Dogman

50344678113_6bda7a882f.jpg

“Damn it, but he needed to piss. Always did, at a time like this.”

–Dogman before every fight 

The Dogman is a Named Man famed for his scouting and marvelous sense of smell. He is Logen Ninefingers' oldest friend and a member of his crew.

---

Tul Thunderhead

50345529987_aa4ca322f9.jpg

"The Thunderhead was a different animal. Once that big ox got properly riled there was no calming him. Not without ten strong men and a lot of rope."

Tul is truly a giant of a man with a thick beard; most people consider him the biggest man they've ever seen. Few men can stand against Tul's massive bulk and big heavy sword in battle. Tul has a deep, booming voice, and a laugh like thunder, which is probably where he gets his Name. He's probably the most basically decent member of Logen's band.

---

Black Dow

50344678083_f60f7654c1.jpg

"This ain't for you, to kill a man tied up. It's for work like this, you bring along a man like me." 
Black Dow is the loose cannon of Logen Ninefingers' original crew of Named Men, one of the most bloodthirsty and violent men in The North. He earned his "black" reputation for attacking in the black of night, and leaving villages behind him black from fire.

---

Rudd Threetrees

50344678053_c4c2d3e566.jpg

"Rudd Threetrees. Rock of Uffrith, they called him. No bigger name in all the North. Great fighter. Great leader. Great friend. Lifetime o’ battles. Stood face to face with the Bloody-Nine, then shoulder to shoulder with him. Never took an easy path, if he thought it was the wrong one. Never stepped back from a fight, if he thought it had to be done. I stood with him, walked with him, fought with him, ten years, all over the North. I’ve no complaints."

–Harding Grim. 

Rudd Threetrees is part of Logen's crew of Named Men. Threetrees is a great, broad-chested old veteran warrior of great renown with grey creeping up in his beard and tangled hair. He's known for his patience; always taking his moment to think things through before making a decision, and is very tactical in planning his attacks. He holds to the "old way", a now old-fashioned Northern sense of honour, despite his circumstances.

---

Collem West

50345371501_27d5b71c61.jpg

"I owe you a lot, I know. It’s just that… you’re too angry for me. That’s all." 
Collem West is a common-born Major in the Union Army, West is a tall, gaunt, worried-looking man with a sharp, lined face and thinning hair.

---

Ardee West

50344678018_8455eaf1c8.jpg

“Would you care for a drink?” 

–Ardee to ... well, almost everyone

Ardee West is the sister of Major Collem West, a country girl new to the big city. Bored with her station in life and what is expected of her gender, she finds distraction in self-centered young noble, Jezal dan Luthar. Ardee is quite a beauty with long dark hair, slightly tanned skin, and dark-brown eyes tending towards black. She has a shapely figure - not skinny, but far from fat - and often wears a crooked smile on her face. Her appearance is not what would traditionally be considered the beauty ideals in the Union, but men tend to find her attractive nevertheless. Ardee is clever, witty, and not afraid to speak her mind. Her relationships with the men in her life are always messy, and she's prone to drowning her sorrows, drinking heavily when she starts to contemplate the wreckage of her life. She can sometimes be quite a mean drunk.

---

Sand dan Glokta

50344677978_e0f173d9a2.jpg

“Body found floating by the docks...” 

Sand dan Glokta was a former champion swordsman and dashing war-hero of the King's Own, before his capture and years of torture by the Gurkish. Now a shunned cripple, he has turned torturer himself, as an Inquisitor in the King's Inquisition. 

---

Practical Severard

50344677948_12c09e2184.jpg

“Not really, she fucks like a madman. I’d thoroughly recommend her, if you’re interested.” 

Severard is one of Inquisitor Glokta's two Practicals. He is a tall and thin man, with long greasy dark hair. He has a nonchalant attitude to violence, and is a bit of a knife nut. Also, quite an accomplished lock-picker. He has a snarky sense of humour, and his eyes constantly seem to be smiling. He habitually whistles tunelessly to himself. In secret, even to Glokta, Severard likes to feed stray birds.

---

Practical Frost

50345371316_472c4da539.jpg

"Etherer." 

Frost is one of Inquisitor Glokta's two Practicals. He is a massive albino with extremely pale skin, and red eyes. He is the personification of stoicism, rarely displays any kind of emotion at anything. His speech is badly impaired, through some chronic swollen tongue problem. Frost's speech impediment doesn't stop him from occasionally making snide remarks.Surprisingly enough, Frost has beautiful handwriting, and takes great care when preparing confessions for the prisoners to sign.

---

Practical Vitari

50345371346_a013be1c94.jpg

"A Styrian, from Sipano. Cold as the snow, those people, and she’s the coldest of them."

"Shylo Vitari is a Practical in the King's Inquisition. Vitari is tall, svelte and sinewy woman, with short spiky red hair sprouting all ways from her head. She’s a formidable fighter, even holding her own alone against Logen Ninefingers for a while.

---

Jezal dan Luthar

50345529817_d930c06c9b.jpg

"He wiped his face, and then—his favorite part of the day—gazed at himself in the looking glass." 

Jezal is a noble-born, whose life of much ease and little responsibility, has made him shallow, naive and self-centered. He’s quite vain and concerned with his clothing and appearance. However, his main interest is his own advancement, which he considers he’s entitled to by virtue of his birth; he views the lower classes as inferior to himself. When he’s finally exposed to the real world, it quickly becomes apparent that he’s out of his depth.

---

Bayaz, the First of the Magi

50344677878_b6a180447a.jpg

"Power makes all things right. That is my first law, and my last. That is the only law that I acknowledge." 

Bayaz, the First of the Magi, is an enigmatic ancient wizard with eyes and ears seemingly everywhere. Having lived in isolation in his library for centuries, he's now considered a legendary figure in The Union, famous for founding the realm.

---

Malacus Quai

50345371191_23216e6f15.jpg

"Well enough? That’s all? You have learned to stay silent, then, at least. How did you teach him that, Bayaz? That I never could make him learn." 

Malacus Quai is an apprentices of the Magus Bayaz, originally from The Old Empire. Malacus Quai is a pale, gaunt, sickly-looking young man with dark rings round his eyes. He has long hair and a nervous smile

---

Ferro Maljinn

50344677803_5e25f4856b.jpg

“megablocking pinks!”

–Ferro 

Ferro Maljinn is an escaped slave of the Gurkish Empire, now the most feared rebel, who puts her thirst for revenge over all else. Ferro has short, spiky black hair and dark skin. She has a long thin scar across the right side of her face, starting at her eyebrow and ending across her lips. However, her most distinctive feature is her eyes, deep, rich, golden coloured and slightly slanted.

---

Logen Ninefingers

50345371251_b3d9c62f86.jpg

“You can never have too many knives.”

Logen Ninefingers, also known as The Bloody-Nine, is an aging Northman with a black name and even blacker past, who strives to turn from the path of senseless violence he has followed for so long.

Spoiler

The Bloody-Nine

50345529642_f93be722f4.jpg

And all of them:

50345371161_1388c73bd3.jpg

Edited by kahir88

Excellent figs.  I have never read the books, I only faintly remember the name of the trilogy.  Looks like I should put this on reading list.  Are you going to build some scenes from the books?

I haven't a clue about the source material, but they look a nice group.

I have a couple of suggestions though.

The torso on this one looks really dated now. Newer figures tend to have black outlines between colours.

50345371501_27d5b71c61.jpg

So maybe go for a torso like one of these instead, to keep them a little more up to date.

973pb0527c01.png973pb0927c01.png973pb1397c01.png

These have yellow skin on the torsos:

50345371191_23216e6f15.jpg50345529817_d930c06c9b.jpg

and it makes them look a bit unprofessional. Going for a torso with either fleshie or no skin or an undershirt showing would look better, for example:

973pb1404c01.jpg?1973pb0894c01.jpg?1973pb1930c01.jpg?2

Of course as I don't know the source material, those torsos could have been chosen for a specific feature, but the suggestions I made are to avoid the common traps that make figures look a little less than perfect.