MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Just now, ood0 said:

I wonder if the inevitable clone pilots will have new helmets without the fins. I could see lego making a new mold that would work for both Wrecker of the Bad Batch and P1 pilots.

I hope so, I can't imagine you'd need to change much on the mould - just fill in the bit where the fin would be. I'd be pretty happy with two pilots, but frankly they're a bonus in UCS sets.

1 hour ago, Brickadeer said:

Due to promobricks, this is "most likely", but not certain. The set's name is "Imperial Troop Transport". The flying transports used in Chapter 14, in the scene including the mortar trooper, are called "Imperial Transports", So I guess it could be one of those as well. Time will tell ^^

Given ITT was its name in Rebels and the Trexler Marauder name only appeared in the episode itself I would've thought it's the former. I was going to say since Greef is in the set, Lucasfilm would've probably shown concepts from the Siege episode for LEGO to base a set on, but then again they're chased by scout troopers in that and not stormtroopers, so... Who knows. Stranger things have happened.

1 hour ago, Brickadeer said:

Due to promobricks, this is "most likely", but not certain. The set's name is "Imperial Troop Transport". The flying transports used in Chapter 14, in the scene including the mortar trooper, are called "Imperial Transports", So I guess it could be one of those as well. Time will tell ^^

When I first saw the list, I assumed it meant that, cause it had the mortar trooper, I'd be pleased with either to be honest. Which ever one it is, either Greef or the mortar trooper is an odd inclusion but then again that's nothing new. Though for that price (unless it's a really great deal) I'd rather it be the ITT, I like the recent ship downsizing but a transport has to be able to fit a few troops right?

6 minutes ago, ood0 said:

I wonder if the inevitable clone pilots will have new helmets without the fins. I could see lego making a new mold that would work for both Wrecker of the Bad Batch and P1 pilots.

I didn't really think they'd want to make a new part but that's exactly what I put in the suggest a minifigure box.

Just now, TeddytheSpoon said:

I hope so, I can't imagine you'd need to change much on the mould - just fill in the bit where the fin would be. I'd be pretty happy with two pilots, but frankly they're a bonus in UCS sets.

Given ITT was its name in Rebels and the Trexler Marauder name only appeared in the episode itself I would've thought it's the former. I was going to say since Greef is in the set, Lucasfilm would've probably shown concepts from the Siege episode for LEGO to base a set on, but then again they're chased by scout troopers in that and not stormtroopers, so... Who knows. Stranger things have happened.

Maybe it's a season 1 set, and the 'mortar trooper' is in the place of the incinerator trooper. 

Just now, Agent Kallus said:

Maybe it's a season 1 set, and the 'mortar trooper' is in the place of the incinerator trooper. 

I certainly hope not, we already got the S1 version of Greef :tongue:

8 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I bet the box art of the set is going to have the Stormtroopers inside the ITT to show its a troop transport while Greef Karga is outside shooting at the vehicle with his tiny pistols :laugh:

As much as I like the general looks of e.g. Cavegod's AT-AT, I always found it's lack of poseability disturbing.

As I would expect the same from an official UCS version, I think I'll keep my Raskolnikov AT-AT and be happy with it.

UCS At-at sounds awesome but that build is going to be brutal. And I thought building the 4 legs on the system scale ones was bad... 

43 minutes ago, ood0 said:

I think this would make a lot of sense - fingers crossed they do this.

Also two new clone pilots would be great, certainly no disappointment there for me.

55 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

UCS At-at sounds awesome but that build is going to be brutal. And I thought building the 4 legs on the system scale ones was bad... 

I agree, Walker legs are the most repetitive and sometimes grueling building experiences by far. The system ones are bad enough as you say. At least the AT-M6 had different front and back legs so it wasn’t as bad. But this is definitely gonna be brutal. I just rebuilt my UCS AT-ST and that felt rough with only two gigantic legs. It’ll look great though!

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

2 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I agree, Walker legs are the most repetitive and sometimes grueling building experiences by far.

It gets worse: you probably can‘t build all four of them at once since there‘s two pairs of two legs (unless the feet are built separately, which isn‘t the case for the system-scale ones). I usually complete the same steps for each copy of a section one after the other, rather than doing the whole assembly multiple times. Let‘s see if that‘s possible here :laugh:

In any case, at least it won‘t be as repetitive as the Colosseum :tongue: It‘s an amazing set though, don‘t get me wrong

Regarding the ucs gunship, I really couldn't care less if it has 0 minifigs. This is one ucs I genuinely only care about the build for, to which is why I voted for it. Its different, its not gray, its not some random miniscale cluster of shales. The nebulon B means nothing to me, it doesn't have an appealing shape nor much prominence in the films other than a stage backdrop. The gunship however, colourful, refreshing, presenting much more of a challenge for the designer to get the shaping correct as you can't just attach random bits as a representation of greebling. Not at this size you can't. It's going to be an extraordinary display piece. Rather than something that looks like a Klingon weapon you could pick up at the narrowest point and smash someone with. 

Any figs we do get, I'll be happy with. 

2 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Building 4 legs on system scale ones are boring, I do agree!

But building large ucs scale legs is actually quite rewarding. It gives a sense of sheer hoooogeness when you complete a single leg. Building the other 3 is just as fun, sure repetitive to a point but not that it deflates the enthusiasm. I loved building the legs on mine. The feet alone were actually really fun and those were the exact same (well, near enough, just 2 mirrored). Repetitiveness didn't even come into mind. 

But, that's just me!

Legs with Luke

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

It gets worse: you probably can‘t build all four of them at once since there‘s two pairs of two legs (unless the feet are built separately, which isn‘t the case for the system-scale ones). I usually complete the same steps for each copy of a section one after the other, rather than doing the whole assembly multiple times. Let‘s see if that‘s possible here :laugh:

In any case, at least it won‘t be as repetitive as the Colosseum :tongue: It‘s an amazing set though, don‘t get me wrong

Maybe they’ll have us build all four legs first so that when we build the “body” we can attach it right to all four legs so it’s upright rather than building the body first and having it on it’s side awkwardly with each leg we attach afterwards

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Exactly. The main attraction to a UCS set has always been the model itself, not the (pilot) minifigs. I mean, UCS sets including minifigs at all is a rather recent development, starting with the second X-Wing in 2013. 

I don’t get where some people got to impression it would include more than a small handful of minifigs. ...No wait, I was wrong. Now I clearly remember the Vader, 5 officer and 10 Stormie minifigs that were included in the last ISD, along with the armada of rebel pilots, generals and named characters in the A-Wing, Y-Wing, and Snowspeeder sets. Silly me :tongue:

The 2007 UCS MF had mini figures, as did the 2008 Death Star and 2010 Imperial Shuttle. Actually, since 2007, only 3 UCS sets have not included any minifigures (Greivous, Jedi Starfighter, and B-Wing).

That said, I agree that a lot of people are essentially hoping for some hybrid UCS gunship and MBS playset. That isn't going to happen. I would LOVE to see a UCS gunship with 6-10 minifigures. I expect it will have 2-3.

2 minutes ago, autolycus said:

The 2007 UCS MF had mini figures, as did the 2008 Death Star and 2010 Imperial Shuttle. Actually, since 2007, only 3 UCS sets have not included any minifigures (Greivous, Jedi Starfighter, and B-Wing).

Good point. Then let me put it this way: 2013 was the year when minifigs in UCS sets became the norm :classic:

12 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Maybe they’ll have us build all four legs first so that when we build the “body” we can attach it right to all four legs so it’s upright rather than building the body first and having it on it’s side awkwardly with each leg we attach afterwards

Interesting idea, I could see that happening. Designing this set must have been quite a challenge since it‘s the first of its kind in that scale. I‘m really excited to see how they solved the much-cited stability issues, both during and after the building process :laugh:

Edited by Lego-Freak

First of all, I'm glad I was finally able to backorder the new X-Wing.  :classic:

Second, I have mixed feelings about the UCS R2-D2 rumor/confirmation.  I'm glad it is being rereleased so that people who missed out on the older model (myself included) can get a hold of it for a "reasonable" price.  On a more personal note, I don't normally buy large-scale "sculpture" models, BUT my girlfriend is a huge fan of R2-D2, so it will make a lovely combined birthday gift/building project for the two of us!  :blush:

6 minutes ago, autolycus said:

That said, I agree that a lot of people are essentially hoping for some hybrid UCS gunship and MBS playset. That isn't going to happen. I would LOVE to see a UCS gunship with 6-10 minifigures. I expect it will have 2-3.

They were all 'to scale' with a minifigure though, or at least were designed as a playset. For sets designed as models, as @Lego-Freak said that's only been the case since 2013, and even then the Super Star Destroyer was the only one where the minifigure wasn't an astromech droid. You could argue that the TIE fighter in 2015 was the start of the current minifigures-in-large-scale-UCS sets trend.

If it is an AT-AT, a good bunch of the parts will surely be used for a display base (probably snow) as that would be one way to mitigate the known stability issues. 

6 minutes ago, Renegade Clone said:

If it is an AT-AT, a good bunch of the parts will surely be used for a display base (probably snow) as that would be one way to mitigate the known stability issues. 

Good point, I hadn’t thought of that. It would be a shame if so many parts went to a base though. But I suppose it may be necessary 

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we're finally getting a UCS AT-AT (crossing my fingers that it joins the likes of the Millennium Falcon, Slave I, and Imperial Shuttle as minifigure scale).

On a completely unrelated note to the At At, this year officially breaks the whole seven year MTT pattern.

Edited by Brickroll

13 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

On a completely unrelated note to the At At, this year officially breaks the whole seven year MTT pattern.

I highly doubt that pattern was anything other than coincidence anyways. I do hope we get another sometime soon though.

14 hours ago, wesker said:

It could be that we don't know the complete line up for Slave I yet. Remember when news first broke about the latest X-Wing we were told only Luke and R2 were included. It was only later we found out Leia and Dodonna were also a part of the set.

This is likely, especially since at least the lists I've seen are kind of fuzzy on the minifigures, with stuff like "bo-katan is in one of the sets". It could end up being something like Han, Boba, a wing guard and Zuckuss.

11 hours ago, Peppybricks said:

I highly doubt 75309 is the gunship. First off, there's no reason a republic gunship should cost that much. Secondly it's $349.99. There have been only two other Star Wars sets ever released at that price. These are 75222: Betrayal at Cloud City and 75290: Mos Eisley Cantina. Both are also the only two Master Builders Series sets ever released. This would mean 75309 is likely another Master Builders set. Maybe Yavin IV or Jabba's Palace? I'll take either?

I'm pretty sure it is, for three reasons:

The list that reputable leakers have shown off includes the gunship as that set.

"there's no reason a republic gunship should cost that much". It's a UCS set, what do you mean, were you expecting a system scale gunship?

"only two $350 sets are the only two MBS sets": First off, that's completely coincidental. Secondly, there have been other sets that were basically MBS, such as assault on hoth being the reason for the MBS label. There are also MBS style sets such as the 2016 death star, 2013 ewok village, etc, at a variety of price points.

5 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

I for one, hope many are disappointed with the Gunship minifig selection considering I’ve seen some ridiculous demands over the last few months. Promobricks call it disappointing but crucially this is subjective; two brand new Clone Pilots for me are fantastic. A Jedi Bob for someone else could be amazing but for me pointless. 

Someone said earlier that they're "getting the popcorn ready", and I fully plan to do the same. Sit back and watch the comments and hashtags as people come to realize that the set isn't just a system gunship with a few hundred clones.

35 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Probably, but hey, you never know. The IT-S and Final Duel came out of nowhere, after all.

3 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

"only two $350 sets are the only two MBS sets": First off, that's completely coincidental. Secondly, there have been other sets that were basically MBS, such as assault on hoth being the reason for the MBS label. There are also MBS style sets such as the 2016 death star, 2013 ewok village, etc, at a variety of price points.

Also, MBS sets most definitely seem to be on a two year release cycle.  Cloud City was the 2HY UCS/MBS set in 2018, then in 2019 we had the UCS Star Destroyer, then in 2020 we were back to MBS with the Cantina.  I don't think they want to oversaturate the market with two MBS sets on shelves at once.  It would make sense that a UCS Gunship would cost $350, since the other ships end up around $200-250 typically, and a Gunship is larger than the X-Wing/Y-Wing size of ships.

ok but hear me out, what if the ATAT legs were all built differently because it was displayed as being tied up by a snowspeeder or something

Also I’m really bummed about that likely MTT pattern break. I really like sets with “thousands of battle droids” :wink:

I don't see why anyone expected a $200 Gunship. If they released a system scale one now it would probably be $160. The Gunship had to be at least $300.