MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Thank the maker it’s an AT AT and now I’m incredibly excited I held off buying the system scale one! Definite day one purchase, always had a lot of nostalgia for AT AT’s especially the motorized one! Hopefully we’ll get more figs besides Veers and an AT AT pilot. 

Edited by RODDY

24 minutes ago, autolycus said:

6700+ piece AT-AT is going to be really really large if that leak is true.

It will definitely have me holding off buying the current AT-AT. Decent chance I end up with both, but maybe I'll only get the system scale one if it's on a really good sale. It's a really good model, but I won't ever have space to display 2 AT-ATs at the same time.

I am happy to stay with Raskolnikovs Plus size AT-AT MOC, only 2500 parts, much better than any of the regular released AT-AT's, and way cheaper than a $800 one! After the falcon and SD, I am done with sets of that cost!

31 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I too am waiting for the minifigure lineup to be revealed as a clone pilot or two and a single p1 trooper, and then the fans will complain that it didn't have literally every named clone trooper ever.

Said this in another thread but I feel like a decent proportion of the voters (most people probably know what demographic I'm referring to) say "GUNSHIP" and ignored the part that says "UCS" and what that label has meant for all UCS sets save for the like the Slave I, Falcon, and Sandcrawler - way too big to be minifig scale.  

I'd pretty much been thinking since the poll finished, if this thing isn't minifig scale, it's not going to sell well, and then LEGO is never going to make a prequel UCS set again, prompting another cycle of complaints, even though it should've been fairly clear from the get-go that there's a very high chance of a larger-than-minifig-scale set.  I personally don't have interest in the non-location UCS sets so I don't really care, but it would suck if this set sells poorly and then the chances of an MBS Geonosis or Jedi Temple go down the drain.

I almost wonder if the Nebulon B or Bomber had won, would we be getting a regular Gunship this year?  Maybe not, since the high price points are taken with the Bad Batch and Mando sets, but I do think that this may have pushed back the release of a possible system scale Gunship.  

Edited by Kit Figsto

6 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Thank the maker it’s an AT AT and now I’m incredibly excited I held off buying the system scale one! Definite day one purchase, always had a lot of nostalgia for AT AT’s especially the motorized one! Hopefully we’ll get more figs besides Veers and an AT AT pilot. 

We’ve recently had General Veers. Aragog has been made as well. Maybe Pycelle and Walter Donovan?

40 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

aid this in another thread but I feel like a decent proportion of the voters (most people probably know what demographic I'm referring to) say "GUNSHIP" and ignored the part that says "UCS" and what that label has meant for all UCS sets save for the like the Slave I, Falcon, and Sandcrawler - way too big to be minifig scale.  

I almost wonder if the Nebulon B or Bomber had won, would we be getting a regular Gunship this year?  Maybe not, since the high price points are taken with the Bad Batch and Mando sets, but I do think that this may have pushed back the release of a possible system scale Gunship.  

I think an 18+ system scale set would sell much better than a UCS one. The meditation chamber set now shows that system scale 18+ sets can/will be done, so why not? It would allow for a better figure selection. I cannot really see what a UCS version of the ship could really achieve compared to system scaled sets, besides a ridiculous price tag. Almost all of the highly detailed mocs I have seen of the ship are minifigure scaled or smaller. I agree that if this set goes poorly, as the first UCS PT set in ages it will impact any further 18+ prequel sets.

51 minutes ago, RODDY said:

hank the maker it’s an AT AT and now I’m incredibly excited I held off buying the system scale one! Definite day one purchase, always had a lot of nostalgia for AT AT’s especially the motorized one! Hopefully we’ll get more figs besides Veers and an AT AT pilot. 

The AT-AT might be considerably closer to minifigure scale, so there is a better chance than most UCS sets of a good figure selection.

I think two AT AT pilots would be included at least, as well as Veers and maybe the Snowtrooper Commander, since they are the characters who appeared in the AT AT's cockpit. We might get a snowspeeder pilot Luke to hang underneath like the system scale set.

7 hours ago, Brickroll said:

Could we expect the $30 set to contain Rex? This is a wave with a lot of focus on Siege of Manadalore, Rex is crucial to that scene and the Bad Batch arc, there seems to be a “give the people what they want” mentality, and Ahsoka was in last year’s wave and she was another crazily expensive minifig, $30 was the price of Trouble on Tatooine, which had a desirable character in it, not to mention the fact that LEGO just released the 501st battle pack. That said, it could also be an OT set given how there are relatively few. Maybe a sequel set?

A new Rex minifigure alone would turn this wave from a 9/10 to an 20/10. I was seriously thinking about biting the bullet and buying that one 2013 BARC set that goes for over $100 just to get him. A set with him, a 332nd Trooper, and two Mauldalorians would be a perfect $30 counterpart to the 501st set.

11 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I don’t think it’s too much to ask for when Ninjago gets 9 figures in a $30 set. We get 4 figures in $15 battle packs, stands to reason that they should be able to do more figures as the pricepoint goes up. 

Ninjago isn’t licensed though. Star Wars is not only a licensed theme but the most popular one at that. Even then, that Gamer’s Market set reused a lot of torsos and minifigure parts from City, Overwatch, and, well, Ninjago. Star Wars minifigure parts aren’t as interchangeable from a production standpoint.

I guess this must be an unpopular opinion, but the Mandalorian Gauntlet fighter is one of my favorite prequel era ship designs. I’m super excited for this set, and not just for the awesome figures that come with it. If I was a MOC builder, I’d be buying multiples of it. I might anyway as a future investment.

I’m conflicted on the UCS Gunship at this point. It’s one of my favorite ship designs in Star Wars, but I’m not sure if I want a massive $350 version of the ship. I’m really going to have to see it and the few figures that come with it to decide if I’m buying. This is shaping up to be my most expensive Lego collecting year yet, and I got a lot on my shopping list already.

1 minute ago, The Stud said:

Ninjago isn’t licensed though. Star Wars is not only a licensed theme but the most popular one at that. Even then, that Gamer’s Market set reused a lot of torsos and minifigure parts from City, Overwatch, and, well, Ninjago. Star Wars minifigure parts aren’t as interchangeable from a production standpoint.

I don’t see who would need to be paid for lego to include a couple of extra stormtroopers, it’s not like the actors faces can be seen. Nor do I see printing a couple of extra stormtroopers being cost prohibitive if they think that they’re not interchangeable. Like I said a few pages back, the lack of troopers available in a conflict heavy theme is laughable. The transport that’s supposed to be coming with 2 stormtroopers should have space for 6 along the outside and who knows how much more on the inside... to not include more stormtroopers in a stormtrooper transport when stormtroopers are already hard to come by is a terrible decision in my book. 

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Ditto. I had my doubts given their attitude to TV in the past but I'm glad they seem to be embracing the diversity of Star Wars.

I'll be interested to see how they pull off the AT-AT structurally. I maintain that $800 is too much for a LEGO set, but if they are going to be a thing... Can we at least have one that isn't like 80% grey? Sure the size is impressive, but having the Falcon, ISD and AT-AT all next to each other is a whole lotta drab colour.

The issue is finding something colorful in Star Wars that's iconic and large enough to warrant such a high price point.

I’m pretty satisfied with the AT-AT from last year (just built it a few weeks ago), so I don’t really have any desire for a UCS model. 

I’m really glad Lego is embracing the television side of Star Wars, as I’ve been saying that that’s where the future of the franchise is ever since Season One of The Mandalorian came out. It’s unfortunate that the Rebels sets were mishandled so badly when that was airing, but I’m glad Lego has learned their lesson from that. Hopefully they take advantage of the new Marvel shows this year!

Edited by The Stud

Something just occurred to me. Do we know whether the troop transport is a standard troop transport or the Trexler Marauder? 

Edited by Brickroll

8 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Something just occurred to me. Do we know whether the troop transport is a standard troop transport or the Trexler Marauder? 

It's the Trexler Marauder based on what we've heard and given it's based on the Mandalorian season 2 so it won't have the troop pods on the sides.

1 hour ago, BigGuy4U said:

The issue is finding something colorful in Star Wars that's iconic and large enough to warrant such a high price point.

Venator, MTT, landing craft, a bust of anakin with a torso but no legs and one arm, just burnt from mustafar, lots of colouring in that :laugh:

2 hours ago, Stuartn said:

. I agree that if this set goes poorly, as the first UCS PT set in ages it will impact any further 18+ prequel sets.

The AT-AT might be considerably closer to minifigure scale, so there is a better chance than most UCS sets of a good figure selection..

If there is anything PT that would sell well as a ucs ship, it would be this one (or perhaps a Venator) . If this one doesn't sell well, then PT has little hope of anything else selling well. 

I've a feeling it'll be sized between raskalnikovs and cavegods, if that 6.3k piece count is around the mark. 

3 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I definitely would have preferred a Death Star but an AT-AT is also an option most of us have wanted for a long time, myself included so I’m happy with it. We’ll get an enclosed Death Star eventually

Given that the 2016 one retires soon, I'm hopeful we'll see an enclosed DS1 in 2022.

3 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I don’t think it’s too much to ask for when Ninjago gets 9 figures in a $30 set. We get 4 figures in $15 battle packs, stands to reason that they should be able to do more figures as the pricepoint goes up. 

Ninjago is not licensed, star wars is. If we're talking about star wars sets, the battle packs, which are the exception and not the rule to figures being in a set, come with very small builds. You plop three battle packs together and you definitely won't have enough parts for an ITT. And battle packs are the army builders, this set isn't meant as one. The problem with "more figures as the pricepoint goes up" is from that idea, since you can't start with the battle packs as they're exceptions. You'd realistically start with microfighters or duels or the $25 location sets, in which case you get a model like this:

# of figures in each set = or < (cost of each set in USD)/10, rounding up for sets that are, say $25. The number decreases as the cost of the set increases, so while in general $10 sets have one figure, $20 have two, $25-30 have three, $40 have four, $130-160 sets don't come with 13-16 figures.

3 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Said this in another thread but I feel like a decent proportion of the voters (most people probably know what demographic I'm referring to) say "GUNSHIP" and ignored the part that says "UCS" and what that label has meant for all UCS sets save for the like the Slave I, Falcon, and Sandcrawler - way too big to be minifig scale.  

I'd pretty much been thinking since the poll finished, if this thing isn't minifig scale, it's not going to sell well, and then LEGO is never going to make a prequel UCS set again, prompting another cycle of complaints, even though it should've been fairly clear from the get-go that there's a very high chance of a larger-than-minifig-scale set.  I personally don't have interest in the non-location UCS sets so I don't really care, but it would suck if this set sells poorly and then the chances of an MBS Geonosis or Jedi Temple go down the drain.

I've been saying this too, this was even my reasoning for voting for the nebuleon-b. A UCS gunship makes a system one more unlikely to be released soon. And most people voted because either A: they saw prequel UCS and clicked, B: MandR told them too, or C: they thought that a fan vote set meant that it'd have hilarious amounts of figures.

On 1/14/2021 at 2:16 PM, Brikkyy13 said:

Slave I speaks for itself, only Boba and Han (though Han will probably have his carbonite block too). Missed opportunity for Bespin Lando, Leia or someone else from ESB.

It could be that we don't know the complete line up for Slave I yet. Remember when news first broke about the latest X-Wing we were told only Luke and R2 were included. It was only later we found out Leia and Dodonna were also a part of the set.

32 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I've been saying this too, this was even my reasoning for voting for the nebuleon-b. A UCS gunship makes a system one more unlikely to be released soon. And most people voted because either A: they saw prequel UCS and clicked, B: MandR told them too, or C: they thought that a fan vote set meant that it'd have hilarious amounts of figures.

I did the same thing, I wanted a system scale gunship because I missed the last one and I know that a lot of people wanted the Nebulon B made (of the three I personally actually wanted the Bomber the most, but I knew it probably had the least chance of winning, so I figured adding on to the Nebulon B vote probably was better), so I assumed a UCS set makes a system version less likely.  An $800 AT-AT might disprove that theory, but still.

14 minutes ago, wesker said:

It could be that we don't know the complete line up for Slave I yet. Remember when news first broke about the latest X-Wing we were told only Luke and R2 were included. It was only later we found out Leia and Dodonna were also a part of the set.

That's a good point, I actually forgot about that.  I also thought that perhaps the figures were just silhouettes/placeholders in the catalog image, I know last year we had that with Grievous' ship since there was no clear image of the figures and we could only for sure deduce Obi-Wan/Grievous, the third minifigure was unknown for quite a while.  The silhouette thing also happened with the TIE, where for some they used the placeholder image from Luke's Landspeeder so there was a ton of confusion as to why a short-leg character and protocol droid (the Jawa and C-3PO) were included in the TIE, even though it did actually end up containing a different style of protocol droid.

Literally just ordered the 20th anniversary Slave I today (couldn't believe it was back up on S@H) so this new smaller version is an easy pass for me. Most tempted by the Maul vs Ahsoka and Mandalorian ship sets out of the new wave. Gunship and AT-AT are way out of my budget but I might have to jump on the new R2-D2, I've always regretted not getting the first one.

I highly doubt 75309 is the gunship. First off, there's no reason a republic gunship should cost that much. Secondly it's $349.99. There have been only two other Star Wars sets ever released at that price. These are 75222: Betrayal at Cloud City and 75290: Mos Eisley Cantina. Both are also the only two Master Builders Series sets ever released. This would mean 75309 is likely another Master Builders set. Maybe Yavin IV or Jabba's Palace? I'll take either?

If anything the gunship is likely 75303, which MandRproductions claims isn't releasing this year (as far as he's aware). In the first few minutes of his 2021 leaks video, he explains this happened to 75144. 75144 was initially said to be released in 2016 but got "canceled", only to be released the year after as the UCS Snowspeeder. If I'm right, we may have to wait until 2022 to get the Gunship. Maybe I'm wrong, But I have a feeling I'm not.

Anywho a UCS AT-AT? How exciting! I didn't think they'd actually do it!

8 minutes ago, Peppybricks said:

I highly doubt 75309 is the gunship. First off, there's no reason a republic gunship should cost that much. Secondly it's $349.99. There have been only two other Star Wars sets ever released at that price. These are 75222: Betrayal at Cloud City and 75290: Mos Eisley Cantina. Both are also the only two Master Builders Series sets ever released. This would mean 75309 is likely another Master Builders set. Maybe Yavin IV or Jabba's Palace? I'll take either?

If anything the gunship is likely 75303, which MandRproductions claims isn't releasing this year (as far as he's aware). In the first few minutes of his 2021 leaks video, he explains this happened to 75144. 75144 was initially said to be released in 2016 but got "canceled", only to be released the year after as the UCS Snowspeeder. If I'm right, we may have to wait until 2022 to get the Gunship. Maybe I'm wrong, But I have a feeling I'm not.

Anywho a UCS AT-AT? How exciting! I didn't think they'd actually do it!

They could be wrong but it makes sense, even at that price. It's just a wider, thicker, and taller vehicle compared to an X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-wing, or Snowspeeder. A really good system scale version, would probably be $140-$200, so if they do a true UCS its going to be more substantial and put it into that $350 range. I mean look at the AT-AT. System scale $160, UCS maybe $800? I would have thought a $350-400 version would be plenty, but evidently we need more $800 sets! LOL!

1 minute ago, Legoman123 said:

So where did the 11000 piece Death Star rumour start then because that was totally wrong.:hmpf_bad:

Some rando on IG, where else :tongue:

BTW, the guys over at promobricks said they’ve heard credible rumours about the Gunship’s minifig selection being “disappointing”. Well, considering what some people expected to be included, there’s no way it’s NOT going to disappoint them :laugh_hard: In my opinion, TLG really shouldn’t have included the option to suggest minifigs. We all knew how this would end. I can already see the silly hashtags

10 hours ago, Brickroll said:

Due to promobricks, this is "most likely", but not certain. The set's name is "Imperial Troop Transport". The flying transports used in Chapter 14, in the scene including the mortar trooper, are called "Imperial Transports", So I guess it could be one of those as well. Time will tell ^^

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Some rando on IG, where else :tongue:

BTW, the guys over at promobricks said they’ve heard credible rumours about the Gunship’s minifig selection being “disappointing”. Well, considering what some people expected to be included, there’s no way it’s NOT going to disappoint them :laugh_hard: In my opinion, TLG really shouldn’t have included the option to suggest minifigs. We all knew how this would end. I can already see the silly hashtags

I’ll never understand the people that expected anything crazy minifigure-wise from this set. Honestly I’d be very happy with two Clone Pilots. If anything, I’d love them to add updated Anakin, Padme, and Obi-Wan figures but it’s highly unlikely. Expectations for this set’s figure lineup from certain people is absolutely ridiculous. I can almost guarantee it will be marketed as an Ep. II set. And yet people still want every clone wars character that ever appeared in it

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’ll never understand the people that expected anything crazy minifigure-wise from this set. Honestly I’d be very happy with two Clone Pilots.

Exactly. The main attraction to a UCS set has always been the model itself, not the (pilot) minifigs. I mean, UCS sets including minifigs at all is a rather recent development, starting with the second X-Wing in 2013. 

I don’t get where some people got to impression it would include more than a small handful of minifigs. ...No wait, I was wrong. Now I clearly remember the Vader, 5 officer and 10 Stormie minifigs that were included in the last ISD, along with the armada of rebel pilots, generals and named characters in the A-Wing, Y-Wing, and Snowspeeder sets. Silly me :tongue:

I for one, hope many are disappointed with the Gunship minifig selection considering I’ve seen some ridiculous demands over the last few months. Promobricks call it disappointing but crucially this is subjective; two brand new Clone Pilots for me are fantastic. A Jedi Bob for someone else could be amazing but for me pointless. 

Do we think there will be a potential extra set between the two exclusives rumoured for this year? Gauntlet Fighter 75316-75319 ($30)? I distinctly remember the ITS Transport from last year coming out of nowhere and I believe was a Galaxy’s Edge + ultimately a Lego exclusive. The set list also imo has an important price point missed off: $70-$90. It would fit the narrative of 3 exclusives also. 

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I wonder if the inevitable clone pilots will have new helmets without the fins. I could see lego making a new mold that would work for both Wrecker of the Bad Batch and P1 pilots.