MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

15 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Because when you love something, look forward to it's release and can afford it you may want to get it as soon as you can? It's pretty simple.

Ah, of course, the good ol' consumerist mentality. It ain't that simple though. Quite a few out there rush to get the sets just so they can be the first to post pictures, reviews and what not just to get those 5 minutes of fame.

Just now, legolandia said:

Ah, of course, the good ol' consumerist mentality. It ain't that simple though. Quite a few out there rush to get the sets just so they can be the first to post pictures, reviews and what not just to get those 5 minutes of fame.

I mean we all check spoilers for expensive children’s toys of a film franchise obsessively. This may not be the best audience to embrace an anti-consumerist message.

1 hour ago, legolandia said:

That is an absurd size. Even 1m x 1m would be way too big.

It really doesn't need to be bigger than minifigure scale, and that would be about 50 x 50 cm - approximately 1.5 times the size of the current one.

The 75313 set is rumoured to be 11 000 pieces. That is only 260 pieces less than the piece count of all three of the previous death star sets combined, if it will be a death star. It would also be the largest set ever by around 2000 pieces.

1 hour ago, jhoya said:

I mean we all check spoilers for expensive children’s toys of a film franchise obsessively. This may not be the best audience to embrace an anti-consumerist message.

dude you weren't supposed to say it out loud 

1 hour ago, Stuartn said:

The 75313 set is rumoured to be 11 000 pieces. That is only 260 pieces less than the piece count of all three of the previous death star sets combined, if it will be a death star. It would also be the largest set ever by around 2000 pieces.

If this does come to fruition, Lego sure is crushing the biggest piece count! The Falcon had the title for three years, and then the Colosseum gets the title for 6 months?!  What's next, a 15,000 piece SSD?!

7 hours ago, jdubbs said:

LEGO's production schedule was clearly impacted by COVID, but the 1H 2021 set numbers and price points were known before COVID-19 became a thing. Battle packs were never part of the 2021 lineup, as far as I can tell.

Ah, good to know.

6 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

According to Landino and a few others, there is a $30 set in there as well (75319), which could be another 501st style set. The dream is not dead yet!

Not completely dead, but moving battle packs from $15 to $30 without increasing figure count makes me sad (Sure the 501st pack had battle droids, but not every set can be a clone battle pack).

3 hours ago, legolandia said:

Why are people so desperate to get the sets as soon as they come out?? They just create a hype unnecessarily.

Because we want to get the product, and for most people sooner is better? Are you actually complaining that people enjoy getting legos? This is a lego forum, people here are going to be excited about legos.

7 hours ago, legolandia said:

Which is completely fine. It's their own money, they don't need someone else to decide what to do with it. And I'm honestly not even sure what you're expecting here, people here are hardcore LEGO fans so ofc we're all excited to get the sets we want when they finally come out :shrug_oh_well:

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Not completely dead, but moving battle packs from $15 to $30 without increasing figure count makes me sad (Sure the 501st pack had battle droids, but not every set can be a clone battle pack).

Totally agree. Also a bit worried that even if they do happen to increase the figure count (though that sounds unlikely), the new battle-packs might include more figures but less good ones (i.e. another battle-pack for $30 with three or four really good figures and two super common battle-droids/Gungans.) 

Btw, on a random note, anyone else notice that like all of the 2021 Star Wars sets are sold out on Amazon at the moment? The new Mando set sold out within a day or two. 

4 hours ago, Garmetrowolf said:

Totally agree. Also a bit worried that even if they do happen to increase the figure count (though that sounds unlikely), the new battle-packs might include more figures but less good ones (i.e. another battle-pack for $30 with three or four really good figures and two super common battle-droids/Gungans.) 

Btw, on a random note, anyone else notice that like all of the 2021 Star Wars sets are sold out on Amazon at the moment? The new Mando set sold out within a day or two. 

Definitely seems like the lower price points are paying off! X-Wing and Tie are on backorder until the 20th on S@H, with the Mando set being later. 

50 minutes ago, Willsy said:

Definitely seems like the lower price points are paying off! X-Wing and Tie are on backorder until the 20th on S@H, with the Mando set being later. 

More likely Covid messing with supply chains. None of the 2021 sets are available here yet, except in Lego stores.

8 hours ago, Garmetrowolf said:

I just can't see them putting more than 4-5 real figures in a $30 set, which tanks the value per figure quantity down by half. (I agree that battle droids could be thrown in and don't really count). The builds in the 501st sets were a bit better in that they, you know, existed in canon, but they were still super oversized just to make up the $30 price point, which again comes back to the problem of that price point. The new, cheaper sets for normal system sets are great, but if they decide to move up battle packs to $30, it's an odd choice from a financial perspective.

9 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Which is completely fine. It's their own money, they don't need someone else to decide what to do with it. And I'm honestly not even sure what you're expecting here, people here are hardcore LEGO fans so ofc we're all excited to get the sets we want when they finally come out :shrug_oh_well:

Yeah I really don't understand this mentality. Why would someone care that people want to get sets when they release, much less be at all surprised by finding that on a LEGO forum?

3 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I just can't see them putting more than 4-5 real figures in a $30 set, which tanks the value per figure quantity down by half. (I agree that battle droids could be thrown in and don't really count). The builds in the 501st sets were a bit better in that they, you know, existed in canon, but they were still super oversized just to make up the $30 price point, which again comes back to the problem of that price point. The new, cheaper sets for normal system sets are great, but if they decide to move up battle packs to $30, it's an odd choice from a financial perspective.

I get why Lego does it, considering that people will buy them anyway. After all, Lego must have a whole team of analysts that have crunched the numbers and figured it will be more profitable to have people buy $30 sets even if it annoys people like us. But it still sucks.

5 hours ago, Willsy said:

I agree that these sets are clearly selling well, from what I've seen online for UK retailers the X-Wing even more than the Tie. They combine iconic vehicles with decent prices and decent builds. I'm waiting for a discount on them myself having just bought the HP books although it looks like these SW sets are going to be the cheapest of the bunch this year ironically. :sceptic: What really annoys me thought is just how many flew straight onto the secondary eBay market. I'm used to scrolling past scalper listings for new sets every post release week, but this week I've had to trawl through an absolute ton of listings for these sets (at hefty marked up prices or course). Now whilst the sets clearly are popular and I know there are always scalpers, I do wonder how much this scalper behaviour for these sets is skewing the perception that they are selling so well. I feel like if you cut out the scalpers the sets might not be on backorder as much.

Edited by BacktoBricks

9 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

I agree that these sets are clearly selling well, from what I've seen online for UK retailers the X-Wing even more than the Tie. They combine iconic vehicles with decent prices and decent builds. I'm waiting for a discount on them myself having just bought the HP books although it looks like these SW sets are going to be the cheapest of the bunch this year ironically. :sceptic: What really annoys me thought is just how many flew straight onto the secondary eBay market. I'm used to scrolling past scalper listings for new sets every post release week, but this week I've had to trawl through an absolute ton of listings for these sets (at hefty marked up prices or course). Now whilst the sets clearly are popular and I know there are always scalpers, I do wonder how much this scalper behaviour for these sets is skewing the perception that they are selling so well. I feel like if you cut out the scalpers the sets might not be on backorder as much.

I always thought that people hoarding LEGO to re-sell at a $5 markup is pretty dumb.  LEGO's pretty different from other collectibles (action figures, Funko Pops, etc) where specific sets aren't limited or "rare" in the same way that other collectibles make chase pieces or only have one of a desirable item per case, which gets bought almost immediately.  Even the stuff that sells out quickly, like the 501st set or Mando Battle Pack, you can definitely find them eventually, you just may have to wait a little bit.  

2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I always thought that people hoarding LEGO to re-sell at a $5 markup is pretty dumb.  LEGO's pretty different from other collectibles (action figures, Funko Pops, etc) where specific sets aren't limited or "rare" in the same way that other collectibles make chase pieces or only have one of a desirable item per case, which gets bought almost immediately.  Even the stuff that sells out quickly, like the 501st set or Mando Battle Pack, you can definitely find them eventually, you just may have to wait a little bit.  

I understand hoarding popular sets to resell when they're retired and people want them again because you can make a genuine profit there but yes right at release is stupid. 

5 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Even the stuff that sells out quickly, like the 501st set or Mando Battle Pack, you can definitely find them eventually, you just may have to wait a little bit.  

Not always true, especially here in Australia. Never seen the 501st pack or AAT on a shelf in any store here. AT-ST raider from 2019 and everything else from that wave was sold out day 1 and never restocked. 

Wow, new Mando set is sold out already! Good thing I managed to snag 1 before New Year. This just shows how big is a demand for Mando sets. Hope LEGO finally capitalizes on this hype with summer wave.

On 1/6/2021 at 1:59 AM, hondohnaka said:

dude you weren't supposed to say it out loud 

Yeah pls dont destroy my self-image

3 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Not always true, especially here in Australia. Never seen the 501st pack or AAT on a shelf in any store here. AT-ST raider from 2019 and everything else from that wave was sold out day 1 and never restocked. 

U live in a small village? Otherwise sounds strange

14 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Yeah pls dont destroy my self-image

U live in a small village? Otherwise sounds strange

We don’t really have villages in Australia. I live in a city of >1 million and here the 2019 A-wing and AT-ST barely lasted a month. The 501st all of a few days and Trouble on Tatooine was sold out by 30 December in the local Lego branded store. None of the 2021 sets of any theme are available outside of Lego stores yet.

8 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Wow, new Mando set is sold out already! Good thing I managed to snag 1 before New Year. This just shows how big is a demand for Mando sets. Hope LEGO finally capitalizes on this hype with summer wave.

Absolutely -- LEGO certainly hasn't taken full advantage of The Mandalorian so far.

11 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Luckily it's been confirmed by reliable sources that there are more mando sets coming.

12 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Not always true, especially here in Australia. Never seen the 501st pack or AAT on a shelf in any store here. AT-ST raider from 2019 and everything else from that wave was sold out day 1 and never restocked

8 hours ago, Paul11283652 said:

We don’t really have villages in Australia. I live in a city of >1 million and here the 2019 A-wing and AT-ST barely lasted a month. The 501st all of a few days and Trouble on Tatooine was sold out by 30 December in the local Lego branded store. None of the 2021 sets of any theme are available outside of Lego stores yet.

I managed to get the 501st set only last month at Target, however I am in a rural area so things probably won't sell out as fast, but there were only a couple there and I don't think it has been restocked.

The AAT was still there at the time, but since, and this has been true of all other stores for many more months, the only sets available in actual stores in Australia are now the IT-S transport and TIE Dagger and the AT AT if you're lucky, and random UCS and statue sets like D-O and Yoda, since Target stopped stocking the Tantive IV last month. Some other sets are available online and at smaller retailers.

It is quite strange that in Australia the 2021 sets (of any theme) aren't available in any other stores yet, normally they come out on January 1 if not earlier.

1 hour ago, Stuartn said:

I managed to get the 501st set only last month at Target, however I am in a rural area so things probably won't sell out as fast, but there were only a couple there and I don't think it has been restocked.

The AAT was still there at the time, but since, and this has been true of all other stores for many more months, the only sets available in actual stores in Australia are now the IT-S transport and TIE Dagger and the AT AT if you're lucky, and random UCS and statue sets like D-O and Yoda, since Target stopped stocking the Tantive IV last month. Some other sets are available online and at smaller retailers.

It is quite strange that in Australia the 2021 sets (of any theme) aren't available in any other stores yet, normally they come out on January 1 if not earlier.

From what I've been told at my local Lego store there's been a worldwide shortage of Lego over the past year due to covid which has drastically increased the time it takes for retailers to get new stock in Australia.