MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

On 12/31/2020 at 12:21 PM, FeepoGerbin said:

Insta account the_brick_leaks has posted that the second 2021 Star Wars wave is going to be much larger than the first. How reputable are they? They only have a photo of the Shuttle box and the post saying the above, but they are followed by Landino so I’m assuming some level of reputability there, yeah?

Fingers crossed!

I would assume that they are reputable based on their followers. Also, Yakface reshared their post and Jayson is extremely reliable. It's probably a large wave since the video game is coming out around then. So, I would guess that the wave would be based on Mando, Bad Batch, and the Skywalker saga :)

3 hours ago, avengers777 said:

I would assume that they are reputable based on their followers. Also, Yakface reshared their post and Jayson is extremely reliable. It's probably a large wave since the video game is coming out around then. So, I would guess that the wave would be based on Mando, Bad Batch, and the Skywalker saga :)

I highly doubt sets have been made to tie into the new game. If they were those would've been out by now as there wouldn't have been enough of a headsup regarding the game's delay to move up an entire wave.

Why would there be new sets from the game?As far as I am aware the game is just a reteling of all the movies,with no new characters or vehicles.

7 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Why would there be new sets from the game?As far as I am aware the game is just a reteling of all the movies,with no new characters or vehicles.

Regardless of the license tie-in sets always get braught up when a new LEGO game releases, even though tie-in sets rarely happen. The box cover for TSS for example features the Naboo royal starship which hasn't been made in LEGO yet. 

Every set released since August has the “play it in [the game]” blurb on the back of the box and the 2020 summer wave sets even included codes to unlock characters. Doesn’t that count as a tie-in already? :tongue:

12 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The set's pretty good for value. Beskar mando and baby yoda alone make it worth it, everything else is basically extra. The speeder is well-made and actually not too oversized, and has a lot of good parts (including the hemisphere tile things in lbg and 1x1 brackets in dark orange) if you're looking to scrap it. The tusken is fine, the ballista is good, the campfire's fine, and the hut... I won't mince words, the hut is awful. It's gappy, polygonal, and looks nothing like the real thing. No one's buying the set for the hut, of course, and overall it's a great set.

I think that I'll definitely keep the speeder. As for the hut & ballista, I'll probably keep them whole for a while & see how they grow on me over time. :classic:

Well I think we’ll be seeing the Naboo Royal Starship as it’s the only ship on the front cover of the game we haven’t got.  I think it makes sense. 

Just finished my builds. 

I agree that the hut isn't the best, but I like it enough that I'll keep it to use as background scenery behind my figures. The ballista will probably get disassembled for parts. 

Really love Beskar Mando's body, but the lack of detail on the helmet makes it look a bit... Off? Especially when stood next to the fairly detailed Boba Fett. 

Grogu is adorable, obviously. 

Enjoyed putting together the TIE fighter, repetitive though it was. Stuck the 2nd Bill Burr episode of Mandalorian on in the background and breezed through it. Good shape and size. Nice to finally have one of the main SW ships that my collection had been lacking. 

It is however the first time I've owned the stormtrooper with the dual moulded helmet. In isolation it's okay, but next to the rest of my figures (older Stormtroopers, Darth Vader, etc) it looks pretty goofy/bad. Will probably replace it at some point if I can. 

Wouldn’t get too excited about the summer wave speculation. It usually has 7-9 sets anyway and I’m pretty sure the leaker will be referring to the helmet sets and Probe Droid, and the UCS sets. Amount all them together and it’s a lot of sets compared to Winter but nothing extraordinary. 

I really like the Imperial Shuttle. Would have been an 8/9 if it had an extra Stormtrooper or Officer who Luke actually handed himself to on Endor! Oh and of course I am assuming Vader has arm printing! 

Edited by ArrowBricks

20 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Wouldn’t get too excited about the summer wave speculation. It usually has 7-9 sets anyway and I’m pretty sure the leaker will be referring to the helmet sets and Probe Droid, and the UCS sets. Amount all them together and it’s a lot of sets compared to Winter but nothing extraordinary. 

I really like the Imperial Shuttle. Would have been an 8/9 if it had an extra Stormtrooper or Officer who Luke actually handed himself to on Endor! Oh and of course I am assuming Vader has arm printing! 

Unfortunately he doesn't have arm printing in this set.

As for the new helmets I though they'll release during the spring.

1 hour ago, LOTR34 said:

Unfortunately he doesn't have arm printing in this set.

As for the new helmets I though they'll release during the spring.

Well there’s Lego not getting my money! Seems to be a common thing where sets don’t feel ‘complete’. 

Hm you might be right, not sure why summer 2021 would have loads more sets though than usual. Will have to see. 

21 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Hm you might be right, not sure why summer 2021 would have loads more sets though than usual. Will have to see. 

The summer wave always has more sets when compeared to the winter wave,this is nothing new.But quantity doesn't equal quality,this summer wave could very well be full of boring remakes.

Actually the statement about the summer isn’t really true. Counting the April wave as 1HY, 1HY gets more sets but 2HY is more expensive overall 

7 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

Yeah, I think the OP just meant that they'd have the "play it in the skywalker saga" patches on the boxes.

The only way for a set to be based off the game itself would be if we finally got a rebel friend figure and a minikit.

5 hours ago, Sarah_H7744 said:

I think that I'll definitely keep the speeder. As for the hut & ballista, I'll probably keep them whole for a while & see how they grow on me over time. :classic:

Yeah the speeder looks really good and is sized well.

Just now, Falconfan1414 said:

Actually the statement about the summer isn’t really true. Counting the April wave as 1HY, 1HY gets more sets but 2HY is more expensive overall 

Are you counting the statue/helmets too? 1HY is usually january-june if I'm not mistaken, so assuming that the cutoff is june, using brickset as reference:

1hy: 2 microfighters+4 system sets+1 UCS/MBS/Etc+3 helmets+statue+juniors= 12 sets (technically the polybags would make it 14 but I doubt that those "count"). Adding the costs up it's 30 (micros)+200 (system)+(likely 200 given that's been the cost of the 1hy UCS for 5 of the last 6 years)+170(helmets)+60 (statue)+20(juniors)=$680, with some variance as the prices for the 1hy UCS and helmets aren't confirmed.

given how expensive the 2hy UCS has been in the past, this might just mean that we're getting another big UCS set, which would fit the pattern of large 2hy UCS sets alternating with 2hy MBS sets

9 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I highly doubt sets have been made to tie into the new game. If they were those would've been out by now as there wouldn't have been enough of a headsup regarding the game's delay to move up an entire wave.

Sorry about the confusion...By "Skywalker Saga" I just meant a reboot/revisit of sets from episodes 1-9. For example, they recently released the Anakin's Jedi Interceptor, Death Final Duel, Tydirium, X-wing, TIE fighter, and Millennium Falcon microfighter. I know a lot of us were underwhelmed by these sets but they included essential vehicles and minifigures to the Skywalker Saga. It wouldn't make sense for LEGO to release a video game based on the 9 movies and not have sets based on them on shelves

6 hours ago, SEmrys said:

Just finished my builds. 

I agree that the hut isn't the best, but I like it enough that I'll keep it to use as background scenery behind my figures. The ballista will probably get disassembled for parts. 

Really love Beskar Mando's body, but the lack of detail on the helmet makes it look a bit... Off? Especially when stood next to the fairly detailed Boba Fett. 

Grogu is adorable, obviously. 

Enjoyed putting together the TIE fighter, repetitive though it was. Stuck the 2nd Bill Burr episode of Mandalorian on in the background and breezed through it. Good shape and size. Nice to finally have one of the main SW ships that my collection had been lacking. 

It is however the first time I've owned the stormtrooper with the dual moulded helmet. In isolation it's okay, but next to the rest of my figures (older Stormtroopers, Darth Vader, etc) it looks pretty goofy/bad. Will probably replace it at some point if I can. 

Interesting that I wasn't the only one who thought the TIE was a repetitive build. It looks really nice for the size and in comparison to my AT-AT and AT-ST, tho. The storm helmet is ridiculous, especially next to my 2015 one, but the TIE Pilot's helmet is gorgeous. 

Edited by hondohnaka

8 hours ago, SEmrys said:

Yeah, I kind of agree.  My first set with them was the Cantina, and it looks good with just the two of them, but next to either the original Stormtroopers (still my favorite version, I know it wasn't as accurate but I feel like was accurate enough without the proportions being weird) or even the ones from like three years ago, it'd just look off.  

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

given how expensive the 2hy UCS has been in the past, this might just mean that we're getting another big UCS set, which would fit the pattern of large 2hy UCS sets alternating with 2hy MBS sets

This makes me wonder what direction they'll go in with the UCS sets this year.  I'm assuming that one of the two is the Gunship, but the other one truly could be anything.  The past few years, it was sort of easy to figure out just based on process of elimination and previous patterns of what we've gotten, but this year I have no idea what they're planning.  I'm thinking now that the Shuttle rumor was someone jumping the gun on the system scale Shuttle and getting confused there, thinking it was a UCS version instead of what we're getting.

We've had all of the alphabet star fighters made recently, UCS Star Destroyer/Falcon can both be found currently on shelves, TIE, Snowspeeder and Slave I are too recent for remakes, I don't think they'd remake the Death Star again if they chose to retire it, and I doubt they go for any prequel sets without seeing how the Gunship does first.  From the OT that leaves either an AT-ST remake, TIE variation remake, Imperial Shuttle remake, or for new vehicles, Jabba's Sail Barge (although that might be more conducive to an MBS set, which would probably be next year) or Luke's Landspeeder.  I would suggest an AT-AT but we currently have one on shelves and I think them putting out a $300 one at the same time would probably negatively impact sales of the regular one.

Edited by Kit Figsto

1 hour ago, hondohnaka said:

Interesting that I wasn't the only one who thought the TIE was a repetitive build. It looks really nice for the size and in comparison to my AT-AT and AT-ST, tho. The storm helmet is ridiculous, especially next to my 2015 one, but the TIE Pilot's helmet is gorgeous. 

I disagree about the Stormtrooper helmet, I think the new dual molded version is definitely superior to the previous one. The previous one was good but I think this new version is an improvement. It looks great. Just my opinion of course

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

We've had all of the alphabet star fighters made recently, UCS Star Destroyer/Falcon can both be found currently on shelves, TIE, Snowspeeder and Slave I are too recent for remakes, I don't think they'd remake the Death Star again if they chose to retire it, and I doubt they go for any prequel sets without seeing how the Gunship does first.  From the OT that leaves either an AT-ST remake, TIE variation remake, Imperial Shuttle remake, or for new vehicles, Jabba's Sail Barge (although that might be more conducive to an MBS set, which would probably be next year) or Luke's Landspeeder.  I would suggest an AT-AT but we currently have one on shelves and I think them putting out a $300 one at the same time would probably negatively impact sales of the regular one.

A while back people were speculating about the Death Star II (ie, a remake of 10143, not of the recent playset ones). I don't think that was based on anything specific other than it fitting the pattern of the Falcon and ISD remakes, though.

5 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

It looks really nice for the size and in comparison to my AT-AT and AT-ST, tho.

Just built mine and what I found most surprising was how well the scale of the TIE works with other sets. I don't have the 2018 one but I was expecting this new one to look small based on other people's comments; having had it alongside (both on display and while swooshing/doing battle) sets like the 2016 Y-wing and A-wing I can't imagine any other size for it, I figure anything else would be too big relative to other ships that we've already had at this scale.

8 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

If you're including a certain "unusually large" kit in the take on 2HY LSW prices, then it will be much, much more expensive than 1HY; however without knowing much at this moment about the rest of the year post-May, I believe that the disparity without the 2HY UCS is not uncommon or strangely large.

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

...given how expensive the 2hy UCS has been in the past, this might just mean that we're getting another big UCS set, which would fit the pattern of large 2hy UCS sets alternating with 2hy MBS sets

Bingo. Big indeed.

Edited by Azani

2 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Just built mine and what I found most surprising was how well the scale of the TIE works with other sets. I don't have the 2018 one but I was expecting this new one to look small based on other people's comments; having had it alongside (both on display and while swooshing/doing battle) sets like the 2016 Y-wing and A-wing I can't imagine any other size for it, I figure anything else would be too big relative to other ships that we've already had at this scale.

It's not trying to be a centerpiece set, it's meant as a part of a larger display, and it's absolutely beautiful as such. 

6 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

This makes me wonder what direction they'll go in with the UCS sets this year.  I'm assuming that one of the two is the Gunship, but the other one truly could be anything.  The past few years, it was sort of easy to figure out just based on process of elimination and previous patterns of what we've gotten, but this year I have no idea what they're planning.  I'm thinking now that the Shuttle rumor was someone jumping the gun on the system scale Shuttle and getting confused there, thinking it was a UCS version instead of what we're getting.

If I had to guess, either 1hy is the gunship (though I can't see it being only $200, so maybe it's either more expensive or for 1hy 2022), and 2hy is an AT-AT or death star. Given Azani's "unusually large" comments, it's got to be at least on par with the 2017 and 2019 sets. The only obvious options I can think of for a $700+ set that are iconic and not recently released are the AT-AT and a paneled death star. The AT-AT may have some stability or articulation problems but I'm confident lego could pull it off. I think the death star is the single most likely option for 2hy though, seeing as the 2016 one retired. I can't see the 2016 set that was already overpriced at $500 going for anything near the star destroyer and falcon's prices, but I could see it being that much if outer panels were added. Similarly, a remake of the 2005 death star 2 is possible, with either a minimal or nonexistent exterior.

1 hour ago, Azani said:

If you're including a certain "unusually large" kit in the take on 2HY LSW prices, then it will be much, much more expensive than 1HY; however without knowing much at this moment about the rest of the year post-May, I believe that the disparity without the 2HY UCS is not uncommon or strangely large.

Bingo. Big indeed.

life sized UCS gonk droid confirmed!

I'm glad that the "2hy is a larger wave than 1hy" thing is clarified, thank you and @Falconfan1414 for explaining.

19 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

If I had to guess, either 1hy is the gunship (though I can't see it being only $200, so maybe it's either more expensive or for 1hy 2022), and 2hy is an AT-AT or death star. Given Azani's "unusually large" comments, it's got to be at least on par with the 2017 and 2019 sets. The only obvious options I can think of for a $700+ set that are iconic and not recently released are the AT-AT and a paneled death star. The AT-AT may have some stability or articulation problems but I'm confident lego could pull it off. I think the death star is the single most likely option for 2hy though, seeing as the 2016 one retired. I can't see the 2016 set that was already overpriced at $500 going for anything near the star destroyer and falcon's prices, but I could see it being that much if outer panels were added. Similarly, a remake of the 2005 death star 2 is possible, with either a minimal or nonexistent exterior.

The only thing I'm not sure on with the AT-AT, like you said is stability.  I think that would be one that would fall into the category of "UCS is larger than minifig scale" since a system scale model is fairly close, to size it up and get a completely accurate scale, I think it could be done for $200-250, and if that were to be an "unusually expensive" set ($500+) that thing would be massive and the body would be super heavy to where I don't know if you could get legs to support it easily.  

I could see a remake of the 2005 DS because it seems to be brought up a lot as a requested set, it would probably be at least $500 (although at this point I don't even know if that is classified as "unusually expensive" considering we've had the DS remake at $500, Star Destroyer at $700 and Millennium Falcon at $800), and they could definitely do some sort of lift-off roof section at the very top of the sphere with Palpatine's throne room or something (sort of like how the Falcon has a couple of interior sections but the rest of the roof isn't removable).  

But, like I said, I don't know what type of thing classifies as "unusually expensive" these days.  I'm thinking it probably has to be in the Falcon/Star Destroyer price territory.  While I was brainstorming earlier for what's due for a UCS set, it was kind of crazy, the UCS AT-ST from 2006 was $80, and Vader's TIE Advanced from the next year was $100.  I mean, we were getting to a point where a normal, system scale AT-ST was approaching $50+ and a TIE was close to $70, and fifteen years ago you could basically bought the UCS version for that price.  Now I think I'd be surprised if there's ever a UCS/MBS set that has a MSRP of less than $200 again.  

18 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah the speeder looks really good and is sized well.

I built this set yesterday evening.
The Mando minifig is lovely.
The speeder is by far the best I've built so far & definitely a keeper.
The hut is okay, but too small & a bit basic. Although the scale of the hut sort of matches my Banthas from the 75265 sets I got in preparation for displaying the ToT set.
The Ballista was quite an interesting build.