MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, FeepoGerbin said:

More or less exciting than Jan 2021?

Forgive me for harping on it, but how could it be LESS exciting than that wave? :laugh_hard: 

36 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Since they could not show sets in person earlier this year, LEGO sent out preliminary print catalogs for the January-April waves... something they had stopped doing prior to COVID-19.

Huh, didn’t connect the dots there. I was always under the impression that those catalogues still existed and that they just got better at preventing them from leaking, but this makes a lot more sense :snicker:

6 hours ago, Legopls said:

In other news: Star Wars won the Brickheadz competition. They haven’t confirmed which character will be made.

Any guesses on when this will be released? I believe it won’t take too long since it’s a Brickheadz or am I wrong? 

Brickheadz thing only had 13 000 votes. It was clear since beggining star wars will win. Judging by number of votes and MandR campaigning for Jar-Jar, Jar-Jar made an easy win. Personally It would be much more enjoyable if multiple youtubers pushed their own thing so each of us can join a certain camp cause it was jar-jar or waste votes for character you personally want out of million star wars characters.  I voted for Pre Vizlsa and Jar-Jar,but i actually wanted Jar-Jar and phantom menace character. Most people voted to troll which kinda makes me regret even participating. 

3 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Huh, didn’t connect the dots there. I was always under the impression that those catalogues still existed and that they just got better at preventing them from leaking, but this makes a lot more sense :snicker:

There are always catalogs sent out at some point, but in the 2-3 years prior to COVID, whatever was distributed at ToyFair included mostly generic white/gray/black boxes for the licensed summer sets... this is what happened last ToyFair, for instance, when a blurry box shot of the Greivous ship leaked... all the other Star Wars boxes in that catalog were generic except that one, for some reason. The 1H 2021 retailer catalog was the first time in a long time that prelim shots of most/all of the upcoming sets appeared in print. 

22 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Brickheadz thing only had 13 000 votes. It was clear since beggining star wars will win. Judging by number of votes and MandR campaigning for Jar-Jar, Jar-Jar made an easy win. Personally It would be much more enjoyable if multiple youtubers pushed their own thing so each of us can join a certain camp cause it was jar-jar or waste votes for character you personally want out of million star wars characters.  I voted for Pre Vizlsa and Jar-Jar,but i actually wanted Jar-Jar and phantom menace character. Most people voted to troll which kinda makes me regret even participating. 

It would be even better if YouTubers didn't push for anything and either A. kept their vote to themselves or B. didn't vote at all. YouTubers 'abusing' the influence they may have on audiences are the exact reasons why these kind of competitions don't work and are a waste of time. 

Forgive me if this has been discussed in the thread earlier. Does anyone else find it odd that Beskar Mando uses pearl grey for his helmet and armor instead of the gunmetal grey he had before? Hasn't he always had the same helmet in the show? I was surprised when I saw that minifigure because I assumed that he would be mostly a dark silver like on the show. I did see an action figure of Mando in the Beskar armor a few days ago and he also had lighter colored armor, so maybe it was a concept art thing?

On the Brickheadz thing, I'm interested to see who they'll pick. The Star Wars Brickheadz usually seem to be tied in to the latest releases in the franchise (Mando and Child 2-pack, RoS 2-pack, etc.) so maybe now they'll pick a character that wouldn't get a spotlight otherwise. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the OT ones from 2018, the aftermarket prices on those are insane now!

17 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

It would be even better if YouTubers didn't push for anything and either A. kept their vote to themselves or B. didn't vote at all. YouTubers 'abusing' the influence they may have on audiences are the exact reasons why these kind of competitions don't work and are a waste of time. 

Agree, especially since I'm going to guess that a decent chunk of people who vote on these types of polls aren't even going to buy the set.  I'm not saying you shouldn't vote if you're not going to buy a set, but typically when these things get brigaded, there's a lot of people that are just voting because someone told them to.  I would've rather seen Jaws for sure, because for one, a shark brickhead would be cool, and for two, we've never had that license yet.  

5 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Forgive me if this has been discussed in the thread earlier. Does anyone else find it odd that Beskar Mando uses pearl grey for his helmet and armor instead of the gunmetal grey he had before? Hasn't he always had the same helmet in the show? I was surprised when I saw that minifigure because I assumed that he would be mostly a dark silver like on the show. I did see an action figure of Mando in the Beskar armor a few days ago and he also had lighter colored armor, so maybe it was a concept art thing?

My guess is that it might be harder to get the gunmetal gray to appear shinier.  Like, the gunmetal one already has a sort of glossy quality to it, so I'm not sure if they could really leave it that color and make it look shiny.  I'm looking at parts that they've made in that metallic gray color, it looks like many of them are Bionicle parts, so I'm also not sure if it could be something to do with the strength of the color or ability to mold it in minifigure parts.  

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

This. I've seen this happen both with and outside of Lego several times where votes are essentially rigged by YouTubers or other influential community members getting their fans to vote for a specific option, whether directly telling them to vote for it or indirectly by saying "I want this". It changes them from "what do the voters think would be the coolest option" to "what does the person with the most subscribers say they want". It turns votes like these into a joke and it's honestly pathetic behavior, in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

This. I've seen this happen both with and outside of Lego several times where votes are essentially rigged by YouTubers or other influential community members getting their fans to vote for a specific option, whether directly telling them to vote for it or indirectly by saying "I want this". It changes them from "what do the voters think would be the coolest option" to "what does the person with the most subscribers say they want". It turns votes like these into a joke and it's honestly pathetic behavior, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Couldn't agree more. I can understand the whole thing behind pushing for the 501st. That was a thing in itself, and not up against anything else. But when there are set options in a competition by TLG, abusing your position to influence just for the sake of it or to push your own agenda, it's off, and tbh, quite irresponsible. Politics voting campaigning is entirely different (before anyone uses it as a comparison) 

Just leave these competitions to run themselves... 

Interestingly though, it's meant to be the 150th brickheadz, and they said 'characters', so does this mean multipack or multiple individual sets? I find that wording odd and confusing given the 150th would be an individual... 

Edited by Fuppylodders

21 hours ago, wesker said:

Do we still even need the "Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here" thread? Maybe it would be better just renaming it to "General LEGO Star Wars Discussion".

That way people have a place to go for open chat while still keeping the Rumors and Wishlists topics focused on those particular subjects.

We have a rumors thread?

12 hours ago, Legopls said:

In other news: Star Wars won the Brickheadz competition. They haven’t confirmed which character will be made.

Any guesses on when this will be released? I believe it won’t take too long since it’s a Brickheadz or am I wrong? 

Jar Jar if they go by votes, anyone else if they go by what'll actually sell. Like the gunship, MandR's fanatics voted in droves despite many probably not planning on getting the set, but the gunship also received wide support from fans in general and is a set that will probably sell well anyway. A Jar Jar brickhead won't sell well at all.

6 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Forgive me for harping on it, but how could it be LESS exciting than that wave? :laugh_hard: 

It could be a wave that doesn't have beskar mando, or more importantly, one that doesn't create a new style for system sets, which haven't seen a shift of this type since the beginning of the theme.

55 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It could be a wave that doesn't have beskar mando, or more importantly, one that doesn't create a new style for system sets, which haven't seen a shift of this type since the beginning of the theme.

I would argue that we have. Less abrupt and explicit, maybe, but there's a pretty clear point around 2007 where the level of detail and variety of building techniques changed dramatically. Sets from after that point look basically modern (e.g., the 2007 MTT wouldn't look out of place if it was released this year) while sets from before are a much more simplistic style. The various TIE fighters make a good comparison; the ones from 2001 and 2005 look basically the same, and so do the ones from 2012 and 2018, but the ones from before 2006 are totally different from the modern ones. That also roughly corresponds to the shift from yellow to light nougat minifigures in 2005.

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I would argue that we have. Less abrupt and explicit, maybe, but there's a pretty clear point around 2007 where the level of detail and variety of building techniques changed dramatically. Sets from after that point look basically modern (e.g., the 2007 MTT wouldn't look out of place if it was released this year) while sets from before are a much more simplistic style. The various TIE fighters make a good comparison; the ones from 2001 and 2005 look basically the same, and so do the ones from 2012 and 2018, but the ones from before 2006 are totally different from the modern ones. That also roughly corresponds to the shift from yellow to light nougat minifigures in 2005.

That's a good point, but like you said it was a gradual shift that took place over a few years and not a single wave. So while this isn't the first time star wars has undergone a major stylistic shift, it's the first time for such a thing to happen with a single wave instead of gradual changes from 2006-2008.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Jar Jar if they go by votes, anyone else if they go by what'll actually sell. Like the gunship, MandR's fanatics voted in droves despite many probably not planning on getting the set, but the gunship also received wide support from fans in general and is a set that will probably sell well anyway. A Jar Jar brickhead won't sell well at all.

I keep hearing this about M&R, but I am out of the loop. Can someone fill me in? I don't want to give this particular Youtuber any clicks. Why would he want a Jar Jar brickheadz? Is it tongue-in-cheek?

54 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

I keep hearing this about M&R, but I am out of the loop. Can someone fill me in? I don't want to give this particular Youtuber any clicks. Why would he want a Jar Jar brickheadz? Is it tongue-in-cheek?

Trying to be as unbiased as possible, he's probably the biggest YouTuber that focuses almost solely on Lego Star Wars (he's definitely not the biggest Lego YouTuber, but unlike Jang or even the old Brick Show, if you were familiar with them, they review just about anything, his stuff is like 95% Star Wars).  He's on the younger side of things but his audience in large part seems to mostly be 15 or younger.  He focuses mostly on the prequels and has now been largely responsible for, some might use the term "brigading" to get three different sets made: the 501st set (if you look at the comments of any Lego social media post, they were spammed with people saying "make a 501st battle pack"), the UCS Gunship, and now this.  I have no idea if he truly wants a Jar Jar brickhead, but my guess is that it was more of a "hey wouldn't it be funny if they made this" and then the poll got hijacked.

1 hour ago, BrickHat said:

I keep hearing this about M&R, but I am out of the loop. Can someone fill me in?

1. MandRs friend asked LEGO for 501st BP in one of their IG posts and they blocked him/deleted it. This angered Ryan who started a campaign for that set to be made. After 2 years of spamming by 10s of thousands of people LEGO made the set,but it wasnt a battle pack and they made it 30$. 

2. UCS set vote-MandR decided to campaign for ucs set to be gunship cause we didnt get a prequel ucs set for 11 years,he was joined by other 2 youtubers who campaigned for other 2 sets and they all had a presentation and argument for each set and then fans picked a camp. Most people voted for gunship cause they love prequels. Original trilogy boomers started saying he ruined it and manipulated the votes. Most trolls came from reddit pages and decided to troll and place rose tico and jedi bob as meme figures in gunship without any intentions of buying the set with no relations to Ryan whatsoever.

3. LEGO let us pick brickheadz number 150 from 4 themes and you could name a fan choice character that they will take into consideration. Ryan campaigned for Jar-Jar to have fun. Fans voted for what they wanted. Most people see brickheadz as garbage version of funko pops and even though his video hit around 50k not even 1/5th voted cause they simply dont care about brickheadz and you could have made bigger impact on votes if you picked some cool character and campaigned it on reddit by yourself or even told people there is voting going on. 

All in all we all have a same chance to make a channel and to impact things,we also had a same chance to campaign for character we wanted on various social media. Youtubers and celebrities are influencing every sphere of life thats why they are called influencers,some are using it for good and some for bad,today its LeBron and Ryan tomorrow its x and y. All we can do is ask other youtubers to do the same so we have more choices and it doesnt feel like you are fighting this huge number of people alone. All of this is giving lego huge sales,and huge number of clicks on their site cause people made accounts to vote when otherwise they wouldnt even know the vote is going on,there is a huge chance they will make all other choices too. The more people complain the more he will do it to the point of trolling instead of picking what he would actually wanted like thrawn or maul just to have fun.

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

1. MandRs friend asked LEGO for 501st BP in one of their IG posts and they blocked him/deleted it. This angered Ryan who started a campaign for that set to be made. After 2 years of spamming by 10s of thousands of people LEGO made the set,but it wasnt a battle pack and they made it 30$. 

2. UCS set vote-MandR decided to campaign for ucs set to be gunship cause we didnt get a prequel ucs set for 11 years,he was joined by other 2 youtubers who campaigned for other 2 sets and they all had a presentation and argument for each set and then fans picked a camp. Most people voted for gunship cause they love prequels. Original trilogy boomers started saying he ruined it and manipulated the votes. Most trolls came from reddit pages and decided to troll and place rose tico and jedi bob as meme figures in gunship without any intentions of buying the set with no relations to Ryan whatsoever.

3. LEGO let us pick brickheadz number 150 from 4 themes and you could name a fan choice character that they will take into consideration. Ryan campaigned for Jar-Jar to have fun. Fans voted for what they wanted. Most people see brickheadz as garbage version of funko pops and even though his video hit around 50k not even 1/5th voted cause they simply dont care about brickheadz and you could have made bigger impact on votes if you picked some cool character and campaigned it on reddit by yourself or even told people there is voting going on. 

All in all we all have a same chance to make a channel and to impact things,we also had a same chance to campaign for character we wanted on various social media. Youtubers and celebrities are influencing every sphere of life thats why they are called influencers,some are using it for good and some for bad,today its LeBron and Ryan tomorrow its x and y. All we can do is ask other youtubers to do the same so we have more choices and it doesnt feel like you are fighting this huge number of people alone. All of this is giving lego huge sales,and huge number of clicks on their site cause people made accounts to vote when otherwise they wouldnt even know the vote is going on,there is a huge chance they will make all other choices too. The more people complain the more he will do it to the point of trolling instead of picking what he would actually wanted like thrawn or maul just to have fun.

I have to disagree with most of this. If MandR's friend got blocked it must've been for good reason, LEGO doesn't just randomly block people. But even if they did block him for no reason that doesn't justify 2 years of extremely excessive trolling. But when the whole 501st thing was finally over he continued his annoying campaigns for the UCS votes, meaning that the ''original trilogy boomers'' as you call them were completely justified in saying MandR ruined the votes. TLG is asking for the fans' opinions, if they wanted to know what Ryan wants they'd have just asked him. Same thing applies to the BH contest. 

As for your last paragraph: we shouldn't have to go create YouTube channels just to compete with one person who has been actively trying to ruin contests for the last couple of years and we definetely don't have to ''ask other YouTubers to do the same so we have more choices''. Again, LEGO is asking for what fans want, not specific YouTubers. As for your last sentence..... it does nothing but prove how pathetic Ryans behavior is. 

While I don't have a very high opinion of MandR, I think the criticism of 'brigading' the polls is unfair. If he was able to motivate people to vote, more power to him--that's the whole point of a poll. And after the whole Snapple flavor thing, and Pitbull going to the remotest Walmart in Alaska, and Boaty McBoatface, and any of the other recent high-profile hijackings of online polls, it's not like any company running one of the things doesn't understand what they're getting themselves into. LEGO asked what Brickhead people wanted, and the people cried out 'Jar Jar'! The voters may not be representative of the totality of LEGO's market (in fact, they almost certainly aren't), but that doesn't mean the poll is rigged or the methodology illegitimate.

I genuinely think the Gunship has a high chance of winning even without MandR. I voted for it and I don’t watch his channel. It’s an amazing ship and would be a phenomenal UCS set. I also voted knowing that there’s a high possibility that within the next several years all three would be made. I don’t have a very high opinion of him either but I don’t think these particular campaigns are hurting anybody. They’re mostly things a lot of fans want anyway. Personally I think Brickheadz are kind of a joke so why not add Jar Jar? I think a lot of people make the mistake of thinking only kids want sets from the prequels and all the prequel fans must be kids following his channel. It’s just not true. I am all for Lego making more products based around the prequels. The OT has had plenty of love, the PT just needs some more time to shine in LEGO, there’s so much more from the PT that hasn’t been done than the OT. And that has nothing to do with MandR. 

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I have to disagree with most of this. If MandR's friend got blocked it must've been for good reason, LEGO doesn't just randomly block people.

LEGO blocked youtuber CutTheKragle and multiple people for questioning the making of colloseum set where mass persecution of christians took place and slaves had to fight for roman enjoyment and promo had a video with gladiator talking about eternal glory of roman empire.  LEGO is company of double standards,hypocrisy and censoring. You cant make a group of nazi soldiers and colloseum and then have problem with technic helicopter or certain star wars scenes,or pretend you care about your workers and then fire store manager if he lets anyone go home 10 minutes early. I didnt say spamming was justified cause it wasnt. I didnt participate in it,i didnt want 501st set and i will not buy a single one. Gunship would win UCS vote either way,i had multiple casual fans asking me what nebulon even is and most of us voted before even seeing his video.  His campaigns arent hurting anyone,all the sets and funko knockoffs will be made either way this was only to pick number 150. Its actually mind blowing that i had to wait since i was 16 to 27 to get prequel ucs set,or that this vote will give us first prequel brickheadz while there are 2 boba fetts,2 kylo rens etc.

32 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

*snip*

i 100% agree with everything you said. 

Thanks for the background, guys.

If indeed this constitutes any trolling behavior (which seems to be a matter of debate), I wouldn't say all the blame resides with him, but also with the enablers that go and follow those campaigns. In this specific case, it doesn't seem that he has any attachment to the Jar Jar character, which is one of the most hated characters from the whole SW universe. So, in this case, it would seem they are trying to ruin a theme they don't like for others who are fans of the theme and who would actually buy the set.

I hope Lego sees beyond this. Not sure how the poll works, but it looks like they just let the audience pick the theme, but note that they didn't announce they would make Jar Jar. I've seen some comments online and it looks like some of the people that voted SW want real Brickheadz. We will see.

Edited by BrickHat

43 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

I hope Lego sees beyond this. Not sure how the poll works, but it looks like they just let the audience pick the theme, but note that they didn't announce they would make Jar Jar. I've seen some comments online and it looks like some of the people that voted SW want real Brickheadz. We will see.

Honestly, I don't think they should've gone for a licensed Brickheadz at all for the 150th.  If they wanted to celebrate the milestone, they should've done like a Classic Spaceman or Pirate or Knight, or I saw some people suggesting Mr. Gold or Clutch Powers (if you really want to go old school, I thought about Zach the Lego Maniac or Pepper Roni!) but I digress.  

6 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Personally I think Brickheadz are kind of a joke

:thumbup: 

Hopefully the other themes will be addressed with «real» sets.

As for Jar Jar: 1) it’s not sure Lego will go for him, 2) better him as a brickheadz than him as a brick built figure. Still, the best scenario would be no Jar Jar at all.

9 hours ago, storskogen said:

:thumbup: 

Hopefully the other themes will be addressed with «real» sets.

As for Jar Jar: 1) it’s not sure Lego will go for him, 2) better him as a brickheadz than him as a brick built figure. Still, the best scenario would be no Jar Jar at all.

Honestly I'd be okay with Jar Jar as long as the other one is Darth Maul.

I may be the only one, but... I actually like Jar Jar. I don’t own any Brickheadz because they look terrible, but that’s pretty much the only one I’d consider buying. I’d tell people I bought it ironically, but now you all know the dark truth. 

I voted for Ahsoka but I'd probably be happy with Jar Jar too... I don't think the prequel generation hates him as much as the older star wars fans do

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE SEASON 2 FINALE OF THE MANDALORIAN: DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT. 

Maybe having an imperial shuttle with ROTJ luke isn't so bad after all :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by arc