MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, legolandia said:

I've been a member of the Star Wars forum here since 2009 and visit this forum every couple of days. So don't let my low post count deceive you into thinking that I am some "random user". During the 11 years of my membership I have seen plenty of discussions here to know that no matter what style is adopted for the threads there will always be people who will be unhappy with it and will moan. I am neither trying to mini mod nor am I trying to shut down discussion. I am merely stating the reality.

And if you seriously think that there will be "months long gaps" on this thread you need to do some research and will find out how mistaken you are.

Spoiler

BRTky.jpg

And my personal opinion--which, granted, is based on only a meager five years of participating in these threads, and therefore surely carries far less weight than yours--is that aggressive, condescending users who would rather have silence than discussion they don't approve of do vastly more harm to these forums than the people who are here to actually talk to one another. All the folks here who find it intolerable to sort through pages of discussion to find specific pieces of news are fundamentally in the wrong place--you want a curated news feed, not a thread on a forum. The discussion is the point! It's important that we keep the blatant wishlisting out of this thread solely because of its tendency to propagate into misinformation when people skim this thread, don't realize it isn't real, and copy it onto Instagram or other pages from which it gets copied back here again as 'actual' rumor; but other than that, I don't believe I've ever seen discussion here that I felt truly didn't belong. It's not like it gets in the way of more 'productive' conversation, since any hint of concrete news immediately displaces whatever discussion was happening previously.
My suggestion would be to leave this thread more or less as it is, with moderators only stepping in if the off-topic discussion is *completely* out of hand (which I don't think I've ever seen happen here, but I recognize that it has in other places, so some amount of moderation will probably occasionally be necessary); and have the existing 'news' thread be what Legolandia and the others who only want news are looking for: lock it, and have a moderator copy over only the bare-bones confirmed news when it's announced (or, leave it open and remove any posts that contain content other than confirmed news, which is basically what it already is).

13 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

which, granted, is based on only a meager five years of participating in these threads, and therefore surely carries far less weight than yours--is that aggressive, condescending users who would rather have silence than discussion

Does that include yourself? Considering that you are the one throwing comments like "random users" and "aggressive, condescending users".

And you are confusing order with silence. I am not asking to silence others but rather expressing my view that discussion needs to be ordered. Having a free for all will actually cause more damage in my view.

1 hour ago, Gremer2 said:

Exactly this. And to add to it, we don't get a lot of news anymore. We get maybe some information once a month. If we're only going to talk about sets, that'll kill conversation fast. There's nothing to talk about most of the time except for, as you said, how people feel about sets, which is just boring.

That's very true. Add to that the fact that there is apparently going to be less sets and new info could come scarce.

55 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

And suggested we PM him them, like I did. This is the most off-topic the thread has ever been, and it's about how to get the threat on-topic! 

I'm sorry, but I disagree. He wasn't asking how to get the thread back on topic, he was asking why, after them having made a News thread, people were so bothered that the thread had gone 'off topic' because why would they need to search through loads of conversation if they were searching for concrete news because that's why the News thread was created. That was apparently the reason cited as the issue with conversation going off topic before, but it can't be now so are people just reporting the thread for being off-topic or because they have another issue? 

And he didn't say just PM him: he said we could post our thoughts here 'if appropriate' and that's what many of us have done.

15 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

My suggestion would be to leave this thread more or less as it is, with moderators only stepping in if the off-topic discussion is *completely* out of hand (which I don't think I've ever seen happen here, but I recognize that it has in other places, so some amount of moderation will probably occasionally be necessary); and have the existing 'news' thread be what Legolandia and the others who only want news are looking for: lock it, and have a moderator copy over only the bare-bones confirmed news when it's announced (or, leave it open and remove any posts that contain content other than confirmed news, which is basically what it already is).

I agree. That's what it is like in the Harry Potter thread and it makes for a more easy flow of conversation. From my recollection, a Mod has only really had to step in when the conversation has turned political or ethical.

2 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I agree with this.

There are people complaining that they can’t find future set info in this thread, but they could just check the news thread (I find it absolutely hilarious that these are the same people who are telling us to go to other threads to have a discussion about Star Wars because they can’t find the info they’re looking for). The entire reason the mods started the news thread a few years back was so people had an easy place to go for future set info. This thread is set up as a discussion thread. If we’re talking LEGO or Star Wars, which 99% of the time we are, it should be allowed. 

The mods are trying to solve a non-existent problem by creating more threads. We already have individual news, discussion, speculation and question threads, I don’t see what help adding more threads would be. 

6 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Well that happened last year too, we knew about Boba and Stormtrooper but didn't know what the TIE Pilot was until images finally leaked. Guess we're following the same pattern this year for some reason.

That's even weirder. Wonder why this is, I can't imagine that lego is intentionally doing anything to keep the third helmet of each wave more secret.

5 hours ago, legolandia said:

And you are confusing order with silence. I am not asking to silence others but rather expressing my view that discussion needs to be ordered. Having a free for all will actually cause more damage in my view.

First off, I haven't read through this whole thing but whoever's being rude to this guy (or anyone), don't do that, keep it civil.

I will say that I think that the set discussion thread shouldn't be more ordered than it is. There's a separate news thread, so what exactly are you mad about?

5 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

I'm sorry, but I disagree. He wasn't asking how to get the thread back on topic, he was asking why, after them having made a News thread, people were so bothered that the thread had gone 'off topic' because why would they need to search through loads of conversation if they were searching for concrete news because that's why the News thread was created. That was apparently the reason cited as the issue with conversation going off topic before, but it can't be now so are people just reporting the thread for being off-topic or because they have another issue? 

I might be miscommunicating, I agree with what you're saying here!  I was pointing out how all the people complaining that the thread was getting off topic and needed to be moderated were themselves making it off-topic. i share the same opinion that the whole "I don't want to scroll through comments for news" thing makes no sense when you can just look at the news thread. 

I'm ok with it the way that it is, I feel its far easier for me to scroll to the points that most interest me or check out the other pages on occasions.

I wish for the days when we used to have more pictures and leaks than we do these days...

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That's even weirder. Wonder why this is, I can't imagine that lego is intentionally doing anything to keep the third helmet of each wave more secret.

Wasn‘t the TIE Fighter Pilot helmet a retailer exclusive set? :shrug_oh_well: It got revealed alongside the rest of the wave, but didn‘t leak beforehand

4 hours ago, Darth Malgus said:

I wish for the days when we used to have more pictures and leaks than we do these days...

Definitely agree. Even the set lists are much more secretive than before. And now that the toy fairs have all been cancelled or postponed, there‘s even less of a chance for some juicy reveals :sceptic:

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I will say that I think that the set discussion thread shouldn't be more ordered than it is. There's a separate news thread, so what exactly are you mad about?

I might be miscommunicating, I agree with what you're saying here!  I was pointing out how all the people complaining that the thread was getting off topic and needed to be moderated were themselves making it off-topic. i share the same opinion that the whole "I don't want to scroll through comments for news" thing makes no sense when you can just look at the news thread. 

Ah okay yes I see. Yes that's exactly it! And exactly why the mods are confused I think.

9 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

There are people complaining that they can’t find future set info in this thread, but they could just check the news thread (I find it absolutely hilarious that these are the same people who are telling us to go to other threads to have a discussion about Star Wars because they can’t find the info they’re looking for). The entire reason the mods started the news thread a few years back was so people had an easy place to go for future set info.

This thread is set up as a discussion thread. If we’re talking LEGO or Star Wars, which 99% of the time we are, it should be allowed. 

The mods are trying to solve a non-existent problem by creating more threads. We already have individual news, discussion, speculation and question threads, I don’t see what help adding more threads would be. 

That news thread has the bare bones of information. Anything else or possibilities that haven't been confirmed solid or reliable at this point, or information of what the sets contain etc aren't listed in it. Hence why there is the discussion part. 

You may find that hilarious, I find it tedious that people choose to ignore the rules and feel above them because cOnVeRsAtIoN fLoW eAsIeR. 

Near enough all of what gets discussed typically belongs in future sets thread, which can easily tie in with discussion of the films because its relevant to the wishlisted future sets (not rumoured). But people don't go there. Instead they choose to discuss it somewhere where it *currently* doesn't belong. 

That shows a total lack of respect to the mods, the rules, and other users. 

Of course its set up as a discussion thread. But i don't get why people are so scared it'll suddenly go quiet as though the world will end if that happens?! I mean come on, use the other threads, it's what they're there for! Then when something gets posted in the rumour thread, we know it's possibly something meaty to do with a new set! Instead, its just another mandalorian plot discussion... The rumours thread contains more than just 'ooo I like that! Eww that's terrible' kind of comments when it's kept on topic... You can try to minimise as much as you like, but we know that's just not true. 

Being dismissive a fair bit there. For *you* it's not a problem. 

Exaggerating a fair bit there too. They don't need to create anymore threads, in fact I agree merge a couple (future minifigs/sets).

No one has said to create more threads. More threads are definitely not neededBut people not using the appropriate threads. Not because the threads don't work. But because people flouting the rules.

And instead of deciding to adhere to the rules and continue conversation where it belongs, they choose to be silent themselves. Something they don't want to happen to the rumours thread. They only have themselves to blame there. Literally getting upset about not being able to talk, when they can in the appropriate thread that has been provided. *THAT* right there is entitlement... 

So, why is it so important the rumours thread is kept alive, but who cares about the future sets thread or media thread, they can die!!! 

The rumours thread will always keep itself alive and relevant. But the culture/media and future sets don't keep themselves alive. Why are those less important? Why can they die a death but the world will end if the rumour thread goes silent a few months? 

13 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:
  Reveal hidden contents

BRTky.jpg

--is that aggressive, condescending users who would rather have silence than discussion they don't approve of do vastly more harm to these forums than the people who are here to actually talk to one another.

All the folks here who find it intolerable to sort through pages of discussion to find specific pieces of news are fundamentally in the wrong place--you want a curated news feed, not a thread on a forum. The discussion is the point! It's important that we keep the blatant wishlisting out of this thread solely.

As far as I'm concerned, years of being on this forum-active or not, is irrelevant. 

All our *opinions* carry equal weight as they are opinions. 

However, rules *should* trump opinions. 

And at the moment, they're not. People are holding their opinion higher than the rules, which is wrong. 

Additionally, we don't want silence, far from it. I do enjoy the discussion of random stuff, it's nice to read through. But it belongs in other threads! Threads which *would be easily kept alive if people talked there instead*. 

As for your second point above, I think you'll find you have it wrong. Forums by their very nature have categories broken down into sub categories and typically are moderated for being on/off topic. Have a look at *any* car forum, you'll realise just how free this forum actually is. 

If you want somewhere to freely talk about lego star wars, without topic restrictions making you feel iks you're being silenced instead of going to a different topic, then Facebook is what you are after. 

I'm processing all the opinions right now. Thank you for everyone who has shared. For now, let's get back to talking about 2021 sets, 2021 rumors, and discussion about 2021 Star Wars. Wishlisting is still not allowed. :yoda:

8 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Wasn‘t the TIE Fighter Pilot helmet a retailer exclusive set? :shrug_oh_well: It got revealed alongside the rest of the wave, but didn‘t leak beforehand

Definitely agree. Even the set lists are much more secretive than before. And now that the toy fairs have all been cancelled or postponed, there‘s even less of a chance for some juicy reveals :sceptic:

That might be it. Makes sense, a TIE pilot helmet isn't as desirable or iconic to the average person as a boba fett or stormtrooper helmet. Maybe that means the third helmet this year will be the same. Royal guard is definitely the most likely then, as while a cool design vader's helmet and the scout helmet are more recognizable.

I've got a lot of family stuff going on over the next couple weeks for Christmas. So I'm not going to implement any changes till the New Year. But to give a heads up we basically have 2 camps. Keep everything segregated into their separate threads (Rumors, Wishlists, Media, etc), or have 1 main topic where we discuss everything. I'm leaning more towards something more in the middle which means no one is going to be perfectly satisfied. But that's usually how compromise works right?

30 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

I've got a lot of family stuff going on over the next couple weeks for Christmas. So I'm not going to implement any changes till the New Year. But to give a heads up we basically have 2 camps. Keep everything segregated into their separate threads (Rumors, Wishlists, Media, etc), or have 1 main topic where we discuss everything. I'm leaning more towards something more in the middle which means no one is going to be perfectly satisfied. But that's usually how compromise works right?

That's sounds good. You will never please all. But don't worry about it that's for sure. You enjoy all your family time. It's infinitely more important than this. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a great New Year ... And beyond! :classic:

2 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Sounds good. I'm curious as to what you will come up with :sweet: 
Sorry I didn't reply to your inquiry, by the way. 
But for now, take care and have a nice holiday!

Regards,
Mitch

10 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Do we still even need the "Post your general LEGO Star Wars questions here" thread? Maybe it would be better just renaming it to "General LEGO Star Wars Discussion".

That way people have a place to go for open chat while still keeping the Rumors and Wishlists topics focused on those particular subjects.

58 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

Normally we have one by now.

Last year there were some fake summer set lists in circulation around this time (Sith Star Destroyer, B-Wing, Exegol, etc.), but the actual summer wave didn't become public until February.

12 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Sounds fair to me. I hope you have a nice holiday!

As for the availability of the 2021 sets, I just unpacked and shelved the new Mando set (as well as one of the Ninjago Epic Battle sets) at work today. Our shelves should be fully loaded by tomorrow, so I might be picking up a couple things when I’m off the clock. :grin:

Edited by The Stud

In other news: Star Wars won the Brickheadz competition. They haven’t confirmed which character will be made.

Any guesses on when this will be released? I believe it won’t take too long since it’s a Brickheadz or am I wrong? 

Edited by Legopls

Star Wars winning that competition doesn't come as a surprise to me, it's inclusion honestly already made it a waste of time. It's Star Wars so of course it will win, especially with people like MandR out there. 

Ya, it was some weird choices. 2 IPs w/o any LEGO sets, 1 with a fair amount, and then the most popular licensed theme. 
Though the announcement says “the characters they'll be based on” so it sounds like it may be more than one winner.

3 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Star Wars winning that competition doesn't come as a surprise to me, it's inclusion honestly already made it a waste of time. It's Star Wars so of course it will win, especially with people like MandR out there. 

Agreed, that wasn’t a fair competition at all. They should’ve done it one of two ways: either have all options be new and underutilised licenses or pit the established themes against one another. I think SW vs Minecraft vs Marvel vs DC or Lilo & Stitch vs Jaws vs Doctor Who vs X would have been a bit more balanced :sweet:

Just now, UberCorp said:

Ya, it was some weird choices. 2 IPs w/o any LEGO sets [...] 

We got a Stitch minifig in Disney CMF series 1 at least, does that count as a set? :laugh: And I just realised that this marks the second time Stitch has lost an Ideas competition :hmpf_bad:

12 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Last year there were some fake summer set lists in circulation around this time (Sith Star Destroyer, B-Wing, Exegol, etc.), but the actual summer wave didn't become public until February.

I remember when this upcoming wave was about to be leaked, some people here had seen the list early & it just hadn’t been released yet, out of respect for leakers’ confidentiality. Does any such list exist yet, and if so, how’s it looking? More or less exciting than Jan 2021?

1 hour ago, FeepoGerbin said:

I remember when this upcoming wave was about to be leaked, some people here had seen the list early & it just hadn’t been released yet, out of respect for leakers’ confidentiality. Does any such list exist yet, and if so, how’s it looking? More or less exciting than Jan 2021?

The Instagrammers and sites like promobricks get their info on 2H waves second- or third-hand from retailers who see the sets at the EU and US ToyFairs. (There is also a price list that LEGO distributes more broadly around then, which is usually how the set numbers and prices —but not pictures — show up in small stores' websites, as happened last year with a South American bookstore... I forget which.) 

ToyFairs normally run January to February, but for 2021 they've been pushed until summer or outright cancelled. Since they could not show sets in person earlier this year, LEGO sent out preliminary print catalogs for the January-April waves... something they had stopped doing prior to COVID-19. One of these leaked in its entirety, which I'm sure everyone here saw. So, they may do the same for 2H 2021, or they may push it back later since the 1H 2021 prelim catalog leaked so badly, or... who knows.

In any event, don't expect this year to work like last year. As with everything else, COVID disrupts the norm.

Edited by jdubbs