MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

55 minutes ago, macaron35 said:

Do you think that there is a chance to release an outland tie fighter with Moff Gideon minifig ?

i was thinking about building the moc then I realized that the minifig doesn't exist

Not anytime soon. Aside from the folding wing gimmick there's nothing really differentiating the Outland TIE Fighter from the standard Imperial one that's about to be released in January.

Not everyone is a super fan who has been collecting for years and therefore owns multiple variants of all major characters. Everyone has to start collecting at some point and needs the opportunities to get these characters in new sets. Realistically it was always going to be a 2 out of 3 chance that Vader was in the shuttle anyway.

2 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The first wave next year is a welcome breath of fresh air for Star Wars sets.

90% repeats doesn‘t exactly scream „fresh“ to me :shrug_oh_well: Instead of Stacy with a new hat, it‘s just a smaller Stacy, no hat :snicker:

58 minutes ago, MaximillianRebo said:

Everyone has to start collecting at some point and needs the opportunities to get these characters in new sets. Realistically it was always going to be a 2 out of 3 chance that Vader was in the shuttle anyway.

The problem is that almost all of the minifig repeats are currently available in other sets too, so this selection doesn‘t even have that going for it. It‘s not like these characters have been absent in years, they‘re already sickeningly abundant :head_back: 

And Vader being in the set isn‘t a flaw by itself, it‘s just that him and Endor Luke are already available in the Death Star Duel set, which isn‘t that much more expensive. And the main issue with the set is the amount of minifigs. People wouldn‘t be as harsh about it if it included at least two Stormies or Scout Troopers or something

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

90% repeats doesn‘t exactly scream „fresh“ to me :shrug_oh_well: Instead of Stacy with a new hat, it‘s just a smaller Stacy, no hat :snicker:

The problem is that almost all of the minifig repeats are currently available in other sets too, so this selection doesn‘t even have that going for it. 

And Vader being in the set isn‘t a flaw by itself, it‘s just that him and Endor Luke are already available in the Death Star Duel set, which isn‘t that much more expensive. And the main issue with the set is the amount of minifigs. People wouldn‘t be as harsh about it if it included at least two Stormies or Scout Troopers or something

Most of those that are currently available are in much more expensive sets. The Luke in the shuttle is different from the Final Duel minifig.

7 minutes ago, Paul11283652 said:

Most of those that are currently available are in much more expensive sets. The Luke in the shuttle is different from the Final Duel minifig.

Could just be me but the shuttle Luke looks exactly the same as the DS one, bar the inaccurate hands and lightsaber :sceptic:

13 minutes ago, Paul11283652 said:

The Luke in the shuttle is different from the Final Duel minifig.

Good point, the Final Duel version doesn’t have two embarassing errors :laugh_hard: 

You can say about this wave whatever you want, but the minifig selection in the Shuttle simply cannot be defended. When even the 2001 one (!) had a superior selection in comparison, you know you’ve screwed up :roflmao:

Edited by Lego-Freak

31 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Good point, the Final Duel version doesn’t have two embarassing errors :laugh_hard: 

You can say about this wave whatever you want, but the minifig selection in the Shuttle simply cannot be defended. When even the 2001 one (!) had a superior selection in comparison, you know you’ve screwed up :roflmao:

The Shuttle Luke has his tunic undone, such as when Vader dies or at the celebration. (Had a better look now, it’s seems he’s the same.) I seem to be missing part of my ear.

I’m just going to let the rest through to the keeper.

Edited by Paul11283652
Ear missing

5 minutes ago, Paul11283652 said:

The Shuttle Luke has his tunic undone, such as when Vader dies or at the celebration.

Isn‘t that just a reflection in the image? And even if it‘s the version with the tunic undone, it‘s only a minor variation that is neither unique nor particularly rare :laugh:

5 hours ago, wesker said:

Not anytime soon. Aside from the folding wing gimmick there's nothing really differentiating the Outland TIE Fighter from the standard Imperial one that's about to be released in January.

that's true, tho, I think I will build up the MOC and wait for Gideon to get his minifig then...

4 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

Not everyone is a super fan who has been collecting for years and therefore owns multiple variants of all major characters. Everyone has to start collecting at some point and needs the opportunities to get these characters in new sets.

That's why we get so many Luke's landspeeder, Anakins starfighter and rebel snowspeeder sets because they give people cheap(ish) options which can get them into lego. These sets are great for new collectors/kids as they usually include 2-4 main characters and an instantly recognisable set. 

Edited by Gjm-greeny

6 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

@PreVizsla once again I disagree with most of your post. There’s no reason to be rude to people who haven’t been able to get a couple of figures yet. They are main characters, the more sets they appear in the better. Arm printing was never a thing until recently, it’s not a necessity, it’s a nice add-on to get with your figure. 

Also, most casual collectors (read: most LEGO buyers) aren't going on BL to buy figures.  Even then, you've got people (like me, ha) that buy quite a bit of LEGO every year but don't want used/secondhand figures, I prefer getting all of my stuff new.  Even if a figure is super cheap on the secondary market, I'll only buy if it's from an advent calendar in the sealed bag or if I'm buying a set, that's just the way I am with my stuff.

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

The problem is that almost all of the minifig repeats are currently available in other sets too, so this selection doesn‘t even have that going for it. It‘s not like these characters have been absent in years, they‘re already sickeningly abundant :head_back: 

Outside of the Shuttle I think it's fine, the volume of sets is just off putting.  The TIE doesn't have super exciting figures but realistically there wasn't going to be anything new in there, and the protocol droid may as well be new (even if it's only a minor printing variation) since that type of droid was previously exclusive to a $500 set that not everyone was going to be buying or the Sandcrawler from a few years ago in a different color.  The X-Wing figures are great, at least in my opinion.  The Mandalorian figure alone carries his set, getting The Child

aka Grogu

for cheap is just gravy, again even if he's not new.  I agree that the Shuttle figures aren't super exciting, but on the flip side, we hadn't had a ROTJ Luke for, what seemed like at least, a couple of years before Final Duel.  I get that it's a bit disappointing to get the same figure like 9 months later, but if Final Duel is also a retail exclusive (which sometimes seem to have a shorter shelf-life?) they may want to get the figure out to a wider group of consumers.

56 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Also, most casual collectors (read: most LEGO buyers) aren't going on BL to buy figures.  Even then, you've got people (like me, ha) that buy quite a bit of LEGO every year but don't want used/secondhand figures, I prefer getting all of my stuff new.  Even if a figure is super cheap on the secondary market, I'll only buy if it's from an advent calendar in the sealed bag or if I'm buying a set, that's just the way I am with my stuff.

I also want all my LEGO to be new but you do know you can buy new stuff on Bricklink as well right? Plenty of stores just buy new sets in bulk and sort them out.

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

I also want all my LEGO to be new but you do know you can buy new stuff on Bricklink as well right? Plenty of stores just buy new sets in bulk and sort them out.

I do, but I'm overly particular about it :laugh:

For whatever reason I just want to be the one to open/build it.  Weird, I know, but just how I am.

I think the figure selection for the wave is fine, and fairly typical, shuttle excepted: and even the shuttle selection is OK, just a figure or two short. If it included an officer and a stormy, we'd all be fine with it (I might be in a minority but I don't give a blurgg for arm printing, even leg printing sometimes overdoes it). When was the last time we could get Luke, Leia, Han and Vader in a single wave? 2011? How many times has Leia been in a set under £100? The you-could-bricklink-them argument holds no water, the great majority of the consumers have never used or probably heard of bricklink. 

The wave needs a couple of £20 sets like (er) the landspeeder or speeder bikes, or a duel set to inject a bit of variety. I am curious about that. Will the next versions be smaller and cheaper in line with the new way?

11 minutes ago, Redroe said:

When was the last time we could get Luke, Leia, Han and Vader in a single wave? 2011?

Technically last year :tongue:

12 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Technically last year :tongue:

Huh? I'm not with you.

(D2C doesn't count. Way out of most kids' reach and most adults for that matter).

11 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Huh? I'm not with you.

(D2C doesn't count. Way out of most kids' reach and most adults for that matter).

20th anniversary line (that's why I said 'technically')

59 minutes ago, Redroe said:

When was the last time we could get Luke, Leia, Han and Vader in a single wave? 2011? 

Sets usually have a lifespan of 1.5 to 2 years, so there's no real need for these minifigs to be available in a single wave :tongue: They could spread them across three waves even and they'd still have a decent time on shelves right next to one another. 

The wave needs a couple of £20 sets like (er) the landspeeder or speeder bikes, or a duel set to inject a bit of variety. 

Lack of variety is exactly the issue here. If the wave was precisely as it is now, just with 2-3 Mando sets added as well as the usual 2 BPs, plus a better minifig selection for the Shuttle, (almost) nobody would complain. Just take every January wave in the last 5 years, remove the ST / RO sets, the BPs, and most of the PT sets, and you basically end up with this mutilated wave :shrug_oh_well: 

How many times has Leia been in a set under £100?

Death Star Escape? That was recent and even cheaper than the X-Wing, plus it introduced the new Stormie helmet

Edited by Lego-Freak

34 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

2015 then, all four of them were in the Final Duel and Shuttle Tydirium. 

10 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

@PreVizsla once again I disagree with most of your post. There’s no reason to be rude to people who haven’t been able to get a couple of figures yet. They are main characters, the more sets they appear in the better. Arm printing was never a thing until recently, it’s not a necessity, it’s a nice add-on to get with your figure. 

The first wave next year is a welcome breath of fresh air for Star Wars sets. Lower prices with quality builds is exactly what we as fans have been asking for for years. No battle packs is annoying but it’s not the end of the world.

I 100% agree. Even if someone doesn't like the wave, it's no excuse to be rude to people who do. And of course there's the bitterness about a comparative lack of prequel sets at the end, as usual.

I'm going to try to explain this one last time, @PreVizsla. The reason there's only OT system sets this wave is because (aside from the mando set, which I don't see anyone complaining about) they're doing the new way to make cheaper sets. It does not matter what your personal opinion is on your favorite films, the OT x-wing and tie are objectively the two most well-known star wars ships alongside the millenium falcon, so it's clearly the objective best choice for two sets to show off the new style. I'm honestly not even sure that the shuttle is part of the new style, seeing as it's about the same size, but regardless, it's a very iconic vehicle that was due for a remake. Sure, the figure count for the shuttle isn't great, but overall this new style is actually very good for figure counts. The new x-wing and tie have the same figure counts as the 2020 x-wing and tie, except they're half the price. By choosing the two most iconic vehicles in SW to spearhead the new style, lego ensures that these will sell well, which bodes well for getting more in the future. This would obviously include prequel sets. Have patience, overall this wave is very promising for getting more prequel sets and figures at lower prices. Imagine how good of a set grievous's starfighter would have been had it been slightly smaller...and $40. That's the future of sets this wave will lead to if it sells well.

8 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

Not everyone is a super fan who has been collecting for years and therefore owns multiple variants of all major characters. Everyone has to start collecting at some point and needs the opportunities to get these characters in new sets. Realistically it was always going to be a 2 out of 3 chance that Vader was in the shuttle anyway.

Yeah, I don't get the complaints about him being in the shuttle. This is the cheapest globally available retail set he's been in for about 3 years, I think (vader transformation being the last).

24 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Yeah, but clearly that isn't realistic, with them being the 1999 versions with giant "20" prints on the back. The only one there that really works for kids is the vader since the skin tone isn't yellow and he's got a cape covering the back print. as @NeutralNoodle says, the last time that normal versions of them were available in the same wave was five years ago.

29 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, but clearly that isn't realistic, with them being the 1999 versions with giant "20" prints on the back. The only one there that really works for kids is the vader since the skin tone isn't yellow and he's got a cape covering the back print. as @NeutralNoodle says, the last time that normal versions of them were available in the same wave was five years ago.

Lando, baby. So happy about that. 

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Death Star Escape? That was recent and even cheaper than the X-Wing, plus it introduced the new Stormie helmet

So once? No, there was the Hoth medical centre as well which was 100% overpriced at £40. She might have been in an X Wing in 2009 ish? Not exactly a glowing record.

The point isn't that she was in that one cheap set, the point is how available and desirable the sets are.

(I hate the new Stormy helmet as well so that's not a free pass)

36 minutes ago, NeutralNoodle said:

2015 then, all four of them were in the Final Duel and Shuttle Tydirium. 

And Chewie too. Good year.

So the last genuine time was nearly 6 years ago, when a fair percentage of the core market still wore nappies. If we have to dig as deep as 20th anniversary figs then i think the point is proven. 

As @Mandalorianknight says. This is lego going cold turkey. I would encourage everyone, if they want this new approach to continue more than a couple of years and yield good PT, ST and nu-EU sets to show support with their wallet because that is realistically the only message we can send.

Everyone keeps referring to the X-Wing and TIE as a „new style“, but isn‘t that a bit premature? It‘s just a smaller scale, and not by a whole lot actually. The price is what makes the big difference. And as@Mandalorianknight has said, the Shuttle doesn‘t seem to be that much more compact either, compared to its precursors :shrug_oh_well: 

I‘m not saying that every 2HY set will revert back to the previous „style“, it‘s just that the SW theme is not very consistent. Remember the Action Battle sets or the short-lived minifig-less midi sets back in the day? :grin:

1 minute ago, Redroe said:

As @Mandalorianknight says. This is lego going cold turkey. I would encourage everyone, if they want this new approach to continue more than a couple of years and yield good PT, ST and nu-EU sets to show support with their wallet because that is realistically the only message we can send.

Nice thought, but I‘m afraid the message this is going to send is „more OT remakes please and nothing else“ :tongue:

3 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Everyone keeps referring to the X-Wing and TIE as a „new style“, but isn‘t that a bit premature? It‘s just a smaller scale, and not by a whole lot actually. The price is what makes the big difference. And as@Mandalorianknight has said, the Shuttle doesn‘t seem to be that much more compact either, compared to its precursors :shrug_oh_well: 

I‘m not saying that every 2HY set will revert back to the previous „style“, it‘s just that the SW theme is not very consistent. Remember the Action Battle sets or the short-lived minifig-less midi sets back in the day? :grin:

Nice thought, but I‘m afraid the message this is going to send is „more OT remakes please and nothing else“ :tongue:

They have experimented a lot in recent years (launched 4+, action battle and some other wacky thing, I forget what, all in 2019!) Showing they really aren't afraid to take a risk. Cutting the size of waves and scaling back sets like they have is actually a pretty ballsy move. They could easily have carried on the way they were and made plenty of money, one assumes. 

As for the second half of your post, I have to disagree again i'm afraid. We can only work with what they've given us. I am sure after the swarm of locusts had finished clearing every shop in the UK of 501st battle packs, they're aware of the PT demand. These new sets have been in the pipeline for a long time, the next few waves will be what really shows us what they are planning. We are working on very little info.

34 minutes ago, Redroe said:

[...] the next few waves will be what really shows us what they are planning. We are working on very little info.

I dread to imagine what these plans are... :snicker: Not to be overly dramatic, but for the first time EVER I'm not really looking forward to hear about a new wave. If I had to guess:

• 80% OT remakes (including another fiendish Snowspeeder :sick:) with one new minifig overall, probably a background pilot or something, still no Nien Nunb
  • one or two PT sets, but of course overdone ones (Naboo Starfighter and Sith Infiltrator anyone?) with a new Maul minifig sporting an even dumber facial expression than the last one :laugh_hard:
  • one tiny Mando set without any S2 spoiler characters or any other important / new character for that matter
  • still no BPs
  • no Duel on Exegol set :sad:

I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised though :classic: If not, I'll have to shift my attention to other themes I'm collecting that are actually still trying :poke: HP is essentially just wiping the floor with this theme 

Edited by Lego-Freak

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm going to try to explain this one last time, @PreVizsla. The reason there's only OT system sets this wave is because (aside from the mando set, which I don't see anyone complaining about) they're doing the new way to make cheaper sets. Sure, the figure count for the shuttle isn't great, but overall this new style is actually very good for figure counts. The new x-wing and tie have the same figure counts as the 2020 x-wing and tie, except they're half the price. This would obviously include prequel sets. Have patience, overall this wave is very promising for getting more prequel sets and figures at lower prices. Imagine how good of a set grievous's starfighter would have been had it been slightly smaller...and $40. 

I understand what you are saying,but what i dont understand is why you guys/girls keep saying this is a new style and you get a bunch of minifigures in the sets now,very good minifigure count etc. Sets are getting progressively smaller for years,there is nothing new about it,2000 aat vs 2015 aat,2009 aat vs 2020 aat,republic tank,2007 mtt vs 2014 mtt. Good minifigure counts? 2020 AAT 40$ 4 figures 2021 Tie fighter 40$ 3 figures. 2021 Imperial shuttle 80$ 3 figures vs grievous starfighter 80$ 3 figures 2020. There is nothing new and there is no new figure counts idek who came up with that. They just AGAIN made sets a little bit smaller,but this time they did it with "iconic ot vehicles" instead of prequel vehicles. Not only there is smaller number of figures in 40$ sets in 2021 vs 2020 sets (tie vs aat),but its also in other sets 4+ xwing vs 2019 4+ xwing,2019 had 1 figure more,30$ 501st set vs 30$ mandalorian set 6 vs 3. Only set we see what you refer to a good minifigure count is xwing,but thats just 1 set 1 anomaly like that 501st set in 2020,that doesnt mean all 30$ sets will come with 6 figures or all 50$ sets will come with 4 and again that argument is beat by at-st raider which again is 50$ set with 4 figures. Sets havent changed,minifigure count didnt change. Literally nothing changed and there is no new minifigure count,its again lego downsizing vehicles like they do every year.

Edited by PreVizsla
for mandalore