MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Overruled! With the new scale they're trying, there's no doubt that an ANH x-wing and TIE are the two best options. They are the two most iconic vehicles in star wars. No question.

As for how many times he shows up, it's because he's essential to two iconic vehicles, snowspeeder and OT x-wing, and he's usually in a third. Fun fact: I didn't have a pilot luke until 2018, and I had to bricklink a head and helmet because the 2018 one had that awful duel molded one.

Yeah, it'll be a UCS vehicle. 2HY D2Cs have gone (I think): Assault on Hoth (reason for the creation of the MBS label), UCS falcon, MBS Betrayal at Bespin, UCS star destroyer, MBS cantina. So maybe next we'll get a UCS AT-AT or something? 

Yeah, when I was younger I had to hunt down a magnet set for han, and my luke was the celebration character from some book's head and hair on a voldermort body with an ahsoka lightsaber. I believe I was only able to get Leia from a magnet, too.

Assault on Hoth was May the 4th, I think the Death Star remake was the 2HY set that year. 

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

. I believe I was only able to get Leia from a magnet, too.

Oh those magnets. What a godsend. At the ripe old age of 18 I was finally able to get a Leia, Ackbar, a royal guard, Boba Fett and SLAVE LEIA for crying out loud. There were CW ones as well if I remember aright, before they inserted the dreaded GLUE. What the heck.

It's only in the last 5 years with a full time job that I've managed to really fill the gaps in my minifig lineup. 

(I just remembered I got the Hoth-edition Falcon at 14, so I did have a Leia and Han)

After skipping through just2good's X Wing build video - I am hyped. Not perfect but so good, and no great problems that can't be overcome with a little mod work. I skipped the wing mechanism because I want to see how it goes together by myself, I count it equally as forbidden as Mandalorian spoilers. Disappointed in the landing gear, that's a real letdown. And the nose is odd, but swapping the 2x4 wedges for 2x6's should sort it and make it an equal length to the "normal" ones. 

1x1 brick with axle hole! Oh lego.

Forced to agree that there is no benefit whatsoever jn the new Pilot Luke print BUT the printing quality looks A OK. If the new print is a result of finally sorting that problem, then bravo. I happen to consider Pilot Luke one of the most aesthetically pleasing minifigures of the theme, and I don't think his repeat appearances are a problem of his being overused: more the recent storm of X Wings and Snowspeeders where he has to be included.

Hmm, going Bricklinking now for a Celebration Leia torso.

34 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Oh those magnets. What a godsend. At the ripe old age of 18 I was finally able to get a Leia, Ackbar, a royal guard, Boba Fett and SLAVE LEIA for crying out loud. There were CW ones as well if I remember aright, before they inserted the dreaded GLUE. What the heck.

It's only in the last 5 years with a full time job that I've managed to really fill the gaps in my minifig lineup. 

(I just remembered I got the Hoth-edition Falcon at 14, so I did have a Leia and Han)

Magnets were awesome back in the day. Only way I had a Scout Trooper and ANH Princess Leia were through them. I remember also picking up one of the older Jango Fett pens as a kid thinking it contained the actual figure. Suffice to say, I was a bit disappointed. I think its great that a lot of previously hard-to-get main characters like Mace Windu, Leia, and Lando have become a bit easier to obtain in recent years. 

I loved the magnet sets. I think I obtained Maul and Young Anakin that way. Plus there was one with Palpatine and Nute Gunray. I remember confidently thinking I as going to get Aurra Sing and Embo only to find they had been glued down. :cry_sad:

53 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

I loved the magnet sets. I think I obtained Maul and Young Anakin that way. Plus there was one with Palpatine and Nute Gunray. I remember confidently thinking I as going to get Aurra Sing and Embo only to find they had been glued down. :cry_sad:

Yes! I got that one too. It came with a fancy senate blue Clone. 

I don't know what relative values are like on Bricklink for magnet figures? They were a lower quality plastic for the bodies. Heads were the same as standard I think.

2 hours ago, Tariq j said:

I remember confidently thinking I as going to get Aurra Sing and Embo only to find they had been glued down. :cry_sad:

You can thank Hasbro for that :tongue: Speaking of which: has it been confirmed yet if the contracts have been renegotiated? I remember people discussing that, but I can’t recall the results (if there are any to begin with). Is TLG now allowed to release products that previously would have violated the “action figure” clause? 

Not that I think they’d actually produce something like that, just wondering :shrug_oh_well:

21 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

You can thank Hasbro for that :tongue: Speaking of which: has it been confirmed yet if the contracts have been renegotiated? I remember people discussing that, but I can’t recall the results (if there are any to begin with). Is TLG now allowed to release products that previously would have violated the “action figure” clause? 

Not that I think they’d actually produce something like that, just wondering :shrug_oh_well:

Afaik only Marvels situation changed and SW is still the same.

Edited by Guyon2002

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

But that‘s an issue with Mattel, not Hasbro, right? :grin: I would love to see them lose their exclusivity rights, but it‘s not like TLG would suddenly pump out minifig-only sets either, just because they‘re allowed to do so. A CMF series for instance is way too much to ask for, but I‘d like to see non-glued magnets make a return at least :shrug_oh_well:

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

But that‘s an issue with Mattel, not Hasbro, right? :grin: 

Hasbro has had the Master Toy License for Marvel for over a decade :tongue:

4 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Not that I think they’d actually produce something like that, just wondering

Wonder what Hasbro thought of the buildable figures?

It's not like the magnet series was figure only marketing anyway. It was a bunch of fridge magnets. Sour grapes from Hasbro in the extreme.

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Hasbro has had the Master Toy License for Marvel for over a decade :tongue:

Huh, didn‘t know that, I pay little attention to toys that aren‘t from Denmark :head_back:

39 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Wonder what Hasbro thought of the buildable figures?

Hm, interesting point. My initial thought was that they‘re buildable and thus not in violation of the rules, but so are minifigs :wacko: Maybe it‘s the amount of parts that makes the difference? And yeah, sour grapes to the max :tongue:

I can't say I share people's disappointment with the minifigure selection. Of course, I can understand the frustrations for those who've been collecting for years and have all the main cast - but that isn't everybody. Until I bought the AAT this summer, I think I had a grand total of ten major characters' Star Wars minifigures (including variants) and almost all of them from more than ten years ago! I'm looking at the figures in the new wave and thinking "finally, a chance to add these characters to my collection!" I don't have Darth Vader or RotJ Luke, nor can I justify spending £90 on a Final Duel set which to me looks terrible, just for those characters - so being able to get them in the Shuttle is a godsend.

As for arm-printing: is it necessary? Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I've always found arm-printing detracts from the look of a minifigure in a considerable way. In fact, the only arm-printing I can think of that doesn't look terrible imo (in any theme) is the cuffs of Kingsley Shacklebolt.

I suspect I'll end up getting four of the January wave (the X-Wing and Mando are a definite for me, Microfighter Falcon for Han is a likelihood, Shuttle if the price is right and I find enough money in my Lego-budget for it!) For comparison, there are only about eight sets in the 2019 and 2020 waves combined that appealed to me (among them a cheeky Inferno Squad for the Iden fig) - so next year is off to a very strong start!

My wallet, on the other hand, hates it.

16 hours ago, NeutralNoodle said:

Assault on Hoth was May the 4th, I think the Death Star remake was the 2HY set that year. 

Even better for the pattern, then.

14 hours ago, Gontron said:

I remember also picking up one of the older Jango Fett pens as a kid thinking it contained the actual figure. 

This was me with, ironically...pilot luke. I kid you not.

7 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

There's heavy speculation as I believe star wars action figures of other brands than hasbro leaked. Diamond select, maybe?

Anyway, if that's true then the contract likely changed in such a way that lego could do just figures again.

4 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

As for arm-printing: is it necessary? Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I've always found arm-printing detracts from the look of a minifigure in a considerable way. In fact, the only arm-printing I can think of that doesn't look terrible imo (in any theme) is the cuffs of Kingsley Shacklebolt.

That's definitely an unpopular opinion. I for one love arm and leg printing and will take as much as they can give us. It enhances the overal quality of figuress and makes them far more enticing. Not to mention there are many characters who need arm printing because certain arm details are a big part of a character's design like the the new Beskar Mandalorian figure. If they didn't give him arm printing a lot of people --myself included-- would have been pretty upset about it given how important it is to include details like the Mudhorn signet and the numerous arm weapons he uses in the show. Sure most Boba Fett figures don't include arm printing but the ones that do are far, FAR superior for including such necessary detail for the character's design. That's not to say every figure NEEDS arm printing. Arm printing would be utterly wasted on say, Imperial Officers but in general I prefer it when possible.

Edited by ToaDraco

48 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

That's definitely an unpopular opinion. I for one love arm and leg printing and will take as much as they can give us. It enhances the overal quality of figuress and makes them far more enticing. Not to mention there are many characters who need arm printing because certain arm details are a big part of a character's design like the the new Beskar Mandalorian figure. If they didn't give him arm printing a lot of people --myself included-- would have been pretty upset about it given how important it is to include details like the Mudhorn signet and the numerous arm weapons he uses in the show. Sure most Boba Fett figures don't include arm printing but the ones that do are far, FAR superior for including such necessary detail for the character's design. That's not to say every figure NEEDS arm printing. Arm printing would be utterly wasted on say, Imperial Officers but in general I prefer it when possible.

Also, I'm not one of the people who thinks basically every minifig ever needs arm/leg printing, but I will say that it's easy to swap a printed piece out for a plain one, but you can't swap a plain piece out for a printed one that doesn't exist.

43 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

I guess this thread will end up less active than other years.

Nah, it’ll be more wishlisting than other years

4 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Nah, it’ll be more wishlisting than other years

Not on my watch!

2 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Also, I'm not one of the people who thinks basically every minifig ever needs arm/leg printing, but I will say that it's easy to swap a printed piece out for a plain one, but you can't swap a plain piece out for a printed one that doesn't exist.

This. Arm and leg printing is almost always better than plain clothes from a detail standpoint. However, on many characters it's not necessary, and there are better allocations of resources than, say, printing a crease or two on ROTJ luke's legs. So most characters would look better with arm/leg printing from a detail standpoint, but the improvement would be small or almost impossible to even notice.

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

Not on my watch!

but what if the font is really small, now you can't see me wishlisting! Mwahahahahahaha

2 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

I guess this thread will end up less active than other years.

Why do you think that? We still have about the same number of 1hy sets this year. Remember, there's at least 5 sets that haven't yet been revealed for 1hy: 3 helmets, probe droid, and the 1hy UCS. And who's to say that more surprises aren't in store for 1hy 2021? If I remember correctly we didn't know final dual and the IT-S were coming until shortly before they leaked.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Why do you think that? We still have about the same number of 1hy sets this year. Remember, there's at least 5 sets that haven't yet been revealed for 1hy: 3 helmets, probe droid, and the 1hy UCS. And who's to say that more surprises aren't in store for 1hy 2021? If I remember correctly we didn't know final dual and the IT-S were coming until shortly before they leaked.

Not counting Sketches/Art/Mosaics and Brickheadz, 1H 2021 looks to be down 3-4 sets, versus 2020.  

You are correct that the identities of a few 2H 2020 sets were not known until shortly before their official announcement, mostly because they were retail store exclusives of some kind. But the existence of those sets (set number and price, generally) was known by this point last year, if not sooner. (By some people, anyway). At this point, there appear to be fewer of these sorts of sets coming next year.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:12 PM, Alexandrina said:

I don't have Darth Vader or RotJ Luke, nor can I justify spending £90 on a Final Duel set which to me looks terrible, just for those characters - so being able to get them in the Shuttle is a godsend.

so next year is off to a very strong start!

Darth Vader has been in a set every year since 2014. That includes super cheap sets like Darth Vader transformation,Pod Polybag,he was free figure in last years 30$ anniversary set etc. Rotj Luke is literally right now 3$ on bricklink. Not getting those figures is purely on you and you can get them in 1 minute on BL and their availability is a terrible argument concerning shuttle set next year. There is also only 3 minifigs and every non casual fan either has them or can get them super cheap which makes that set a terrible pick up for 80$ and top 3 set worst star wars set minifigure wise.

Arm printing is necessary especially with mandalorians and vader that have specific and important shoulder pieces and arm accessories. We are not complaining about arm printing on all figures we are complaining cause LEGO already made those printed arms for 2 sets,1 of which is USA region exclusive and 1 is like you said terrible final duel set that is the same set they already released. That arm printing vader would be a huge draw for the set. 

Next year is a terrible and weak start except mando and xwing sets and excludes sequel and prequel fans and half ot fans will pass on them cause they have better versions of those sets already. There is also no battle packs so not only army builders are hit,but also children whos parents wont buy them more expensive sets.

Do you think that there is a chance to release an outland tie fighter with Moff Gideon minifig ?

i was thinking about building the moc then I realized that the minifig doesn't exist

27 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

There is also only 3 minifigs and every non casual fan either has them or can get them super cheap which makes that set a terrible pick up for 80$ and top 3 set worst star wars set minifigure wise.

Couldn‘t agree more :classic: The model itself is decent, but minifig-wise it is easily among the worst ones yet. If the lightsaber colour and arm swap issues are both real and not just errors in the instruction booklet, this takes the number 1 spot for me :hmpf_bad: Only 3 figs, one of them a downgrade, all of them easily available in dozens of sets, AND two major errors on top of that? What were they thinking?! 

@PreVizsla once again I disagree with most of your post. There’s no reason to be rude to people who haven’t been able to get a couple of figures yet. They are main characters, the more sets they appear in the better. Arm printing was never a thing until recently, it’s not a necessity, it’s a nice add-on to get with your figure. 

The first wave next year is a welcome breath of fresh air for Star Wars sets. Lower prices with quality builds is exactly what we as fans have been asking for for years. No battle packs is annoying but it’s not the end of the world.