MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

5 hours ago, Redroe said:

Lol. You've heard of the Special editions?

The Rebels sets, apart from the Ghost itself, are top notch as well. A real shame they didn't carry on the releases long enough to capture the later seasons. 

I try to forget about the special editions, even though I unironically want a Yow Yowza minifigure. :laugh:

And I agree about the Rebels sets. I missed out on every single one of them and all of them go for a lot of eBay and Bricklink. I think Lego overdid it with the Rebels sets in 2015/2016 and now we have a shortage of them. If it weren’t for poor set choices (i.e. Captain Rex’s AT-TE that really only showed up in two or three episodes, the Rebel Combat Frigate being a store exclusive, minifigure inaccuracies, etc.), we’d probably still get the occasional set from it. 

5 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Do we reckon they'd do Rebels again if the sequel series rumours come to fruition?

I almost typed this in my initial post. When the characters are relevant again if and when that show finally comes out, maybe we can get some “legacy” sets based on the original series. If Lego can release an obscure set like the Resistance IT-S Transport (which is a really good set, don’t get me wrong), then I don’t see why they can’t do another Ghost for around the same price point. It’s showed up in nearly every episode of Rebels has shown up in two live action movies at this point and is certainly more recognizable. Surely Lego knows how valuable the original set is.

As for the thing with Bo Katan looking the same age as she did in TCW, I think that’s a good thing for us. It means that they can throw the same figure of her into any TCW, Mando, or even Rebels set and not have to do different versions for each. That probably betters our odds of getting her even more.

18 minutes ago, The Stud said:

And I agree about the Rebels sets. I missed out on every single one of them and all of them go for a lot of eBay and Bricklink. I think Lego overdid it with the Rebels sets in 2015/2016 and now we have a shortage of them. If it weren’t for poor set choices (i.e. Captain Rex’s AT-TE that really only showed up in two or three episodes, the Rebel Combat Frigate being a store exclusive, minifigure inaccuracies, etc.), we’d probably still get the occasional set from it. 

In my opinion it's not so much oversaturation as very poor timing that killed the Rebels subtheme. They released the Ghost right at the start of the series when a lot of people didn't really know the series yet and weren't all that excited about it (and let's face it, season 1 is pretty hard to get through). By the time the show was getting really good and it's fanbase was grower larger and larger the more important sets like the Ghost were already out of production and nowhere to be found. After that the 2016 wave was just the final nails in the coffin, with 4 new sets and none of them being what people actually wanted. I'm honestly still surprised we got the Phantom II in 2017.

50 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

In my opinion it's not so much oversaturation as very poor timing that killed the Rebels subtheme. They released the Ghost right at the start of the series when a lot of people didn't really know the series yet and weren't all that excited about it (and let's face it, season 1 is pretty hard to get through). By the time the show was getting really good and it's fanbase was grower larger and larger the more important sets like the Ghost were already out of production and nowhere to be found. After that the 2016 wave was just the final nails in the coffin, with 4 new sets and none of them being what people actually wanted. I'm honestly still surprised we got the Phantom II in 2017.

Poor timing definitely didn’t help either, and this is something Lego still struggles with now when it comes to making sets based off the shows. It’s understandable to a degree, but Lego has definitely made some strange decisions.

With Resistance, Lego only made two sets; one of which was a very poor choice for a set. And while the other set (Vonreg’s TIE) was solid, it came out like a week after it got blown up in the Season One finale which is both unfortunate and mildly humorous.

With Mando, Lego’s hands are a bit tied in this case, because LFL/Favreau are very tight lipped about information. Still, I don’t see why this Tatooine set couldn’t have come out like now instead of waiting until February (other than the time it takes to produce the set of course). There’s obviously no spoilers in it and everything included in it has already shown up in Season One anyway. It’ll sell well either way, but it’d probably be more popular now since the season’s still running.

Also, by the time we have the gaps filled from Season One (assuming we ever get the characters and sets we’re still missing), their relevance in the show will be way in the rear view mirror by that point.

I’m not really sure what TLG can do to fix this problem, or if they even can with how fluid television production can be. I just hope they realize that it’s not the source material that made the Rebels sets do poorly, it was their strange choices, poor luck, and possible lack of communication with LFL that caused that to happen.

Edited by The Stud

41 minutes ago, The Stud said:

Poor timing definitely didn’t help either, and this is something Lego still struggles with now when it comes to making sets based off the shows. It’s understandable to a degree, but Lego has definitely made some strange decisions.

With Resistance, Lego only made two sets; one of which was a very poor choice for a set. And while the other set (Vonreg’s TIE) was solid, it came out like a week after it got blown up in the Season One finale which is both unfortunate and mildly humorous.

With Mando, Lego’s hands are a bit tied in this case, because LFL/Favreau are very tight lipped about information. Still, I don’t see why this Tatooine set couldn’t have come out like now instead of waiting until February (other than the time it takes to produce the set of course). There’s obviously no spoilers in it and everything included in it has already shown up in Season One anyway. It’ll sell well either way, but it’d probably be more popular now since the season’s still running.

Also, by the time we have the gaps filled from Season One (assuming we ever get the characters and sets we’re still missing), their relevance in the show will be way in the rear view mirror by that point.

You know, I wonder if this has any bearing on the decision to go with smaller sets. Smaller sets would, I presume, have a slightly shorter minimum production time for LEGO to go through all the relevant motions. Simpler sets with a smaller piece count might help save some time in the production phase, which would mean less chance of being left behind by new material (especially given LEGO still seems set on a fairly rigid, two-waves-a-year schedule), so it could pay off in the long run.

11 hours ago, wesker said:

To be honest I feel like even some of those options might be stretching it. Sequel Trilogy merchandise in general just doesn't seem to sell that well. Most brands have all but abandoned it and Gentle Giant themselves have stated the demand isn't there.

Going forward the most I think we'll see from Lego are recolored Resistance X-Wings during the periods Luke's version is off the market and if we're lucky the odd duel set. I'm not sure anything else from the trilogy really has the staying power.

You're probably right, I threw a few of those in there just because they could be done for $15-20 (Rey's Speeder, the Crait Ski probably) where there's not really as much risk associated with releasing it.  I do agree though, I feel like it's unlikely that we'd see much in the realm of really large sets from the sequels.

15 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

You know, I wonder if this has any bearing on the decision to go with smaller sets. Smaller sets would, I presume, have a slightly shorter minimum production time for LEGO to go through all the relevant motions. Simpler sets with a smaller piece count might help save some time in the production phase, which would mean less chance of being left behind by new material (especially given LEGO still seems set on a fairly rigid, two-waves-a-year schedule), so it could pay off in the long run.

'Smaller sets'...

TLG: Lets bring out the largest 9k piece set ever that has no real draw to it at all

1 hour ago, The Stud said:

With Mando, Lego’s hands are a bit tied in this case, because LFL/Favreau are very tight lipped about information. Still, I don’t see why this Tatooine set couldn’t have come out like now instead of waiting until February (other than the time it takes to produce the set of course). There’s obviously no spoilers in it and everything included in it has already shown up in Season One anyway. It’ll sell well either way, but it’d probably be more popular now since the season’s still running

I'm wondering if it might be due to a much, much more subdued toy release for this season in general.  I know Target stores in the US had some stuff put out near the end of the summer, but it was a mixture of Mandalorian and Galaxy's Edge toys, with a skew mostly towards Galaxy's Edge.  Since there was no Force Friday this year, and the show wasn't brand new (they didn't need to hype it up again, people were already really excited for it), I don't even think any brand new Season 2 specific toys came out, whereas we saw Mando, IG-11, and Cara Dune in pretty much all of the S1 advertisements or merchandise. 

Plus, since there isn't really a fall wave of Star Wars (or any LEGO lines, other than often a lot of D2C stuff), it'd make sense to just hold the set over until the winter wave.  

14 hours ago, Makin Bacon said:

Twitter, for um, strange reasons

Yeah, that's probably the best way to put it.

14 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Where on twitter can I find this? I need a good laugh.

just search "bo-katan armor controversy" or something along those lines. It's probably the most stupid "controversy" since "jabba's palace looks very slightly like a mosque therefore this set of part of the palace can't be sold", but it is pretty funny to see the "outrage".

9 hours ago, Redroe said:

You could easily swamp the market in Mando sets though. Almost every smaller set (BP notwithstanding) would have to include the same Mando figure, and most would include the Child. I can understand why they might restrict themselves to one Mando set per wave as people would be less likely to buy multiple sets at one sitting if a fair portion of the value was sucked up by repeat figures. 

There are ways around this. Season one has 3 notable variants for the main guy (premiere, beskar, muddy.), and season 2 has a slight difference in the armor (though you'd only need to change like, one print, and it's not really a big enough change for most consumers to notice or care). But more importantly, Djin and the child don't need to be in every set. As long as he's in a few of the mando sets every year, the other sets can include other main characters like Cara and Greef, or other mandos like Cobb and Bo-katan, and they'd still sell well. It's definitely a problem, but there are solutions.

10 hours ago, Redroe said:

I was expecting more.comments on Bo Katan's age. Even if she was Satine's *much* younger sister, she should be in her 50's at least. I was expecting them to maybe get round it by not showing her face, but they instead went with the rather throwaway line 'you are a crazy cultist'. They recast Ahsoka so why feel the need to keep the same actress for Bo? I think she did a fine job, and turned in a powerful performance but it did distract me.

The actress is 40. Assuming the character is 18 when we meet her mid-way through the Clone Wars, that would put her at around 47 when she shows up in The Mandalorian. When you consider that virtually every actor playing a high school sophomore on TV is well into their 20s or even 30s, it's hardly a stretch for Katee to be playing Bo on-screen.

Let's also not forget that "Baby" Yoda is 50 years old... nothing to say that Mandalorians don't age a teensy bit slower than us Earth-bound humans.

16 hours ago, The Stud said:

try to forget about the special editions, even though I unironically want a Yow Yowza minifigure:laugh:

And I agree about the Rebels sets. I missed out on every single one of them and all of them go for a lot of eBay and Bricklink

Aw, I'm of the special editions generation. They were the first ones I saw and the ones (as Lucas intended) that I think of as 'Star wars' for good or ill (and there is lots of good in the special editions). Come at me!

I too missed the Rebels sets. I wasn't interested in the series at the time. Looking back at old reviews however I am impressed by them in general. I don't think we'll ever see them revisited but the rumoured sequel series would undoubtedly get its own sets.

15 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

You're probably right, I threw a few of those in there just because they could be done for $15-20 (Rey's Speeder, the Crait Ski probably) where there's not really as much risk associated with releasing it.  I do agree though, I feel like it's unlikely that we'd see much in the realm of really large sets from the sequels.

The prequels fair better in this area because they have lots of mid scale sets like starfighters and tanks. The sequel vehicles of that size are almost all OT knockoffs.

They did a lazy job on the FO star destroyer last time, but I'd like to see that done properly. Other than that, for large sets, its a pretty empty field.

14 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:
On 11/17/2020 at 8:44 AM, Redroe said:

repeat figures. 

There are ways around this. Season one has 3 notable variants for the main guy (premiere, beskar, muddy.), and season 2 has a slight difference in the armor (though you'd only need to change like, one print, and it's not really a big enough change for most consumers to notice or care). But more importantly, Djin and the child don't need to be in every set. As long as he's in a few of the mando sets every year, the other sets can include other main characters like Cara and Greef, or other mandos like Cobb and Bo-katan, and they'd still sell well. It's definitely a problem, but there are solutions

Yeah. They could do Gideon's TIE without Mando quite easily. And the more 'named' Mandalorians they introduce the more set potential they bring with them.as someone said not every Solo set includes Han.

Series 2 seems to bring a lot more diversity with it. I can't think of many series 1 sets that would stand on their own two feet without Mando himself.

14 hours ago, jdubbs said:

also not forget that "Baby" Yoda is 50 years old... nothing to say that Mandalorians don't age a teensy bit slower than us Earth-bound humans.

'It's not a race... it's a Creed.' :wink:

7 hours ago, Redroe said:

I too missed the Rebels sets. I wasn't interested in the series at the time. Looking back at old reviews however I am impressed by them in general. I don't think we'll ever see them revisited but the rumoured sequel series would undoubtedly get its own sets.

I managed to get the major sets (ghost (sans zeb :sad:), phantom, TIE) because I was one of the few people who actually liked the show at the time, and TFA got me back into lego star wars so I picked a few of them up as they retired. They are really good sets, I wish that lego could make more, but alas they didn't sell well then, and with the series off the air would only sell among collectors now. 

I hope the sequel series gets sets, but they've got to fix the mistakes they made with the first wave. They made some super obscure stuff like the wookie gunship and ezra's speeder, released the ghost and phantom long before the series started, and then due to that made fewer and fewer sets as more people got into the series.

Agh, talking about this is making me want a zeb to complete the crew....*proceeds to spend almost $15 on zeb's head alone*

6 hours ago, Redroe said:

'It's not a race... it's a Creed.' :wink:

People born on the planet mandalore, then.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I managed to get the major sets (ghost (sans zeb :sad:), phantom, TIE) because I was one of the few people who actually liked the show at the time, and TFA got me back into lego star wars so I picked a few of them up as they retired. They are really good sets, I wish that lego could make more, but alas they didn't sell well then, and with the series off the air would only sell among collectors now. 

I hope the sequel series gets sets, but they've got to fix the mistakes they made with the first wave. They made some super obscure stuff like the wookie gunship and ezra's speeder, released the ghost and phantom long before the series started, and then due to that made fewer and fewer sets as more people got into the series.

I think a Ghost/Phantom would sell well regardless this time around, seeing as a sealed copy of the Ghost set goes for like $300+ on BrickLink.  Heck, even a complete used copy sells for over twice the original price.  And, while I don't own that set, honestly, it seems like it looks good on the exterior but functionally isn't as good as stuff like the Falcon or a Star Destroyer or whatever other large ships they put out.  I think they could do a new one with more of an interior (besides just the cockpit/gunner stations) for like $130 and it'd sell really well.  

Speaking about 2021, do we know yet if there are price points or set numbers for an April wave this year?  I know that we got some set numbers extending further into summer with the UCS stuff, and last year we knew the busts/D-0 statue were coming very early (even if initially it was thought to only be two busts), has anything been confirmed on that point, or is it TBD if there will be any spring wave?

37 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Speaking about 2021, do we know yet if there are price points or set numbers for an April wave this year?  I know that we got some set numbers extending further into summer with the UCS stuff, and last year we knew the busts/D-0 statue were coming very early (even if initially it was thought to only be two busts), has anything been confirmed on that point, or is it TBD if there will be any spring wave?

If my sites are correct:
February: Han microfighter 10$ 75295
                Villain microfighter probably cancelled 10$ 75296
                 Mandalorian set 30$ 75299
                 Tie Fighter 40$ 75300
                 X Wing 50$ 75301
March:  4+ Resistance X Wing 20$ 75297 
             Tauntaun & AT-AT Micro Fighter 20$ 75298
             Imperial Shuttle 80$ 75302
April: Darth Vader Helmet 70$ 75304
         Scout Trooper Helmet 50$ 75305
         Imperial Probe Droid  70$ 75306
         Tba 1 more helmet? (75307)
         Yoda galaxy atlas book 17$
May: TBA UCS set (75303)
         Video Game (May 31st)
I rounded the prices so if its 40$ its 39.99$ etc.

Edited by PreVizsla

Lego announced the Marvel Sets for February 2021 today. I guess we will see in the next days the new Star Wars Sets as well for February. Which means a better look for the new Mando-Set.

57 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

If my sites are correct:
February: Han microfighter 10$ 75295
                Villain microfighter probably cancelled 10$ 75296
                 Mandalorian set 30$ 75299
                 Tie Fighter 40$ 75300
                 X Wing 50$ 75301
March:  4+ Resistance X Wing 20$ 75297 
             Tauntaun & AT-AT Micro Fighter 20$ 75298
             Imperial Shuttle 80$ 75302
April: Darth Vader Helmet 70$ 75304
         Scout Trooper Helmet 50$ 75305
         Imperial Probe Droid  70$ 75306
         Tba 1 more helmet? (75307)
         Yoda galaxy atlas book 17$
May: TBA UCS set (75303)
         Video Game (May 31st)
I rounded the prices so if its 40$ its 39.99$ etc.

I thought they comeout first january?

1 hour ago, TheScaryDoor said:

Lego announced the Marvel Sets for February 2021 today. I guess we will see in the next days the new Star Wars Sets as well for February. Which means a better look for the new Mando-Set.

I'm looking forward with great anticipation to seeing decent images of the new Mandalorian set. :classic:

2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I think a Ghost/Phantom would sell well regardless this time around, seeing as a sealed copy of the Ghost set goes for like $300+ on BrickLink.  Heck, even a complete used copy sells for over twice the original price.  And, while I don't own that set, honestly, it seems like it looks good on the exterior but functionally isn't as good as stuff like the Falcon or a Star Destroyer or whatever other large ships they put out.  I think they could do a new one with more of an interior (besides just the cockpit/gunner stations) for like $130 and it'd sell really well.  

I agree, although I don't know if lego does too. I own the set and they both suffer from awful interiors (you can't even fit the entire crew in the ghost... there's the nosegun turret, cockpit, top turret, and room for 2 more in the "escape pods" (actually docking rings), which only gives you room for 5 of the 6 specters.) I think if they did a -$200 set with a larger ghost and phantom, they could easily get more interior for the main hull. They probably couldn't stand up, but you could do, like, Ezra/Zeb's room, Kanan/Hera's room, sabine's room, and the galley or something. The phantom only has room for a single pilot and chopper. Obviously it can't be too big but seeing as it fits the entire crew in the show it should at least have room for a figure to sit in the main area :/. 

I guess I know what my next stud.io project is...

1 hour ago, TheScaryDoor said:

This would line up with usually getting the set images for the winter wave around thanksgiving.

4 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

-snip-

Ahh, right I forgot about the Vader/Scout/Probe sets, thanks!

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I guess I know what my next stud.io project is...

Funnily enough, I've actually been working on one because I refuse to spend $300 for the set, doubt I'll ever actually build it physically but it's fun nonetheless.  I'm working at a scale somewhere between UCS and system-scale Falcon.  It's minifigure compatible, not totally to scale, but the interior works which is most of what I care about.

After watching the Life Day Special, I can easily say that it cements the 2020 advent calendar as the best yet. Has great figures (other than no real prequel figures and the lack of a non-christmas themed exclusive character) and is real tied in with the film.

15 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Agh, talking about this is making me want a zeb to complete the crew....*proceeds to spend almost $15 on zeb's head alone*

I'm in the exact position you are, but by chance I managed to find a complete Ghost sans Kanan, who I already had from a magazine polybag, for €90... which seemed pretty good to me when Zeb on his own costs a third of that price!

15 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Well technically it's both a race and a creed :tongue:

15 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

People born on the planet mandalore, then.

Agh come on guys :distressed: let me have my little Djarin quote. Gotta do my homework. Was Mandalore a guy or a planet first? 

12 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

, even a complete used copy sells for over twice the original price.  And, while I don't own that set, honestly, it seems like it looks good on the exterior but functionally isn't as good as stuff like the Falcon or a Star Destroyer or whatever other large ships they put out

The Ghost is honestly the weakest of the Rebels sets, sadly and ironically, the core of the ship is a solid mass of plates and beams that seem to be just piled on top of each other and no one looked back and thought 'must be a better way to do this'. Its cute and charming in a chibi sort of way, but I can imagine a modern version would be infinitely better. Having said that I think the retail price was £70? The same as an X wing released the following year. A modern one would be £120 at least. So maybe can't moan too much.

7 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

It's minifigure compatible, not totally to scale, but the interior works which is most of what I care about.

Funnily enough it was a Ghost MOC I found on eurobricks while I was searching for inspiration that convinced me to join. I owe that guy.