MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

if the skin tone of a figure from a likely multi-hundred dollar set is what makes you not buy it, re-examine how much you wanted the set in the first place.

It is kinda unfair to say that with the situation here,people wanted beskar mando for a year and complained into oblivion cause he isnt in razor crest and now they dont want it in 30$ set cause some random character in a filler episode isnt included. Same with thousands of people that waited for ucs batwing to just give up on it cause they didnt like joker minifig etc. Minifigures make and break the set for lot of people,thats why i dont want to pay 300$ for a set that includes only 2 figures of which 1 is meme pushed by trolls on reddit with no intentions of buying the set. Especially when its yellow headed and doesnt look good displayed with tan,black and nougat figures and stands out and looks off and outdated.

I think best case scenario for minifigs in the Gunship is two P1 clone pilots with new helmet molds. But most likely with the existing mold. I could see four more regular Shinies being included to fill the four bubble canons. But that’s at the absolute best case scenario. Anything more is unrealistic. It will be from AOTC most likely so would not include any of the CW commanders that people are hoping for. Maybe some Jedi but I find that unlikely. Either way, any gigs are a bonus, I really just want a majestic display piece

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

I feel like anyone expecting more than two minifigures for the gunship is setting themselves up for disappointment. Lego isn't going to give away Clone Troopers so easily, especially on a set designed for display purposes.

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

It is kinda unfair to say that with the situation here,people wanted beskar mando for a year and complained into oblivion cause he isnt in razor crest and now they dont want it in 30$ set cause some random character in a filler episode isnt included. Same with thousands of people that waited for ucs batwing to just give up on it cause they didnt like joker minifig etc. Minifigures make and break the set for lot of people,thats why i dont want to pay 300$ for a set that includes only 2 figures of which 1 is meme pushed by trolls on reddit with no intentions of buying the set. Especially when its yellow headed and doesnt look good displayed with tan,black and nougat figures and stands out and looks off and outdated.

Calling out other 'uncivilized' behavior doesn't justify ones own.

Why not just sell it? There are plenty of SW minifig collectors out there. You're all about 'sending TLG a message' with your purchases; on this one, your biggest, most important opportunity to send the PT message, you're going to sit it out to spite a bunch of people you don't know? Can't be mad at TLG for listening to messages from the fans, right?

Also, keep in mind that if Jedi Bob won the most votes because of trolls, then they're the reason the Gunship beat out the Nebulon-B because like half of its votes came from trolls. Point being, in any case, you're not just spiting a bunch of people you don't know - you're spiting people you don't know that also happened to support the same thing you're also passionate about.

3 hours ago, Sabre-aN said:

Not a bad looking set but I'm not sure I can justify purchasing it as the only parts I'd be interested in are the figs and maybe the swoop, the ballista and camp seem like a waste of parts to me personally - don't see much reason to have a ballista without a krayt dragon to shoot at, though a lego version of that would have to be huge. I hope beskar Mando won't be as expensive on Bricklink as the 332nd Trooper still is, given both are highly demanded figures in similarly priced sets

The 332nd is expensive because it's mass-able. The better comparison is Ahsoka or, heck, the Mando currently on the market.

On 11/10/2020 at 6:12 PM, PreVizsla said:

I voted for Gunship for 1 reason and 1 reason only and that is because it was the only prequel set,if the option was jar jar bust or sebulbas podracer i would vote for that too and most likely buy it. We need a change,we are in 10th year of ONLY original trilogy ucs sets(14 sets in a row not including other sets that include plaque). We also didnt get a single non droid prequel figure in advent calendar since 2013,0 prequel brickheadz,all prequel anniversaries ignored,0 +4 prequel sets etc. With gunship i expect Captain Rex or Commander Cody,everything else is just bonus. If i have to choose i would rather have ucs playset than display set even though i dont play with it,but i will buy it if its display too unless it comes with yellow head jedi bob. I really hope this ucs set vote and millions lego will make from AAT set will change something.

Lego usually make some prequel sets every year, not as many as the originals but that’s probably because the originals seem to be more popular 

For non clone wars this year, we got duel on Mustafar, Anakin’s interceptor and Greivous’ starfighter

Last year, we got the AT-AP, two microfighters, droid gunship, Anakin’s podracer and the AT-RT

That’s not that bad of an amount imo 

2 hours ago, Redroe said:

I can barely see it either but I am 90% sure its the standard "current" one as seen in the two sets from this year's winter wave. Which is a shame as I think it looks incomplete without the rusty metal thing on its neck. Not sure if all tuskens had it though... need to rewatch the episode (and ANH... and AOTC)

The heck is going on with that tent though? I can't imagine what else from the episode its supposed to be. And if is meant to be the tent, well.... the designer must have come off a big weekend. 

It looks like there might just be one of the 6x6 quarter dish pieces for the base of it, though, so that's neat.

There's supposed to be a campfire but it is pretty hard to make out...maybe it's part of a cave wall or something? A feeding station for the banthas that aren't in lego? :laugh:

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

The only thing I'll add to pedilego's response is that refusing to buy a multi hundred dollar set that you;ve been campaigning for because one of the figures included has a different skin tone just seems odd to me.

6 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

Calling out other 'uncivilized' behavior doesn't justify ones own.

Why not just sell it? There are plenty of SW minifig collectors out there. You're all about 'sending TLG a message' with your purchases; on this one, your biggest, most important opportunity to send the PT message, you're going to sit it out to spite a bunch of people you don't know? Can't be mad at TLG for listening to messages from the fans, right?

Also, keep in mind that if Jedi Bob won the most votes because of trolls, then they're the reason the Gunship beat out the Nebulon-B because like half of its votes came from trolls. Point being, in any case, you're not just spiting a bunch of people you don't know - you're spiting people you don't know that also happened to support the same thing you're also passionate about.

The 332nd is expensive because it's mass-able. The better comparison is Ahsoka or, heck, the Mando currently on the market.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

6 minutes ago, Asajki said:

Lego usually make some prequel sets every year, not as many as the originals but that’s probably because the originals seem to be more popular 

For non clone wars this year, we got duel on Mustafar, Anakin’s interceptor and Greivous’ starfighter

Last year, we got the AT-AP, two microfighters, droid gunship, Anakin’s podracer and the AT-RT

Exactly. Lego makes a good amount of prequel sets (There were MORE prequel sets in the summer 2020 wave than OT, mandalorian, or ST sets, for crying out loud). The OT gets a few more sets overall because it assumably sells better. Lego would be making very poor decisions if they decided to push out sets that don't sell as well just so each trilogy gets an equal amount.

2 hours ago, Pedilego said:

Agree, I don't see this figure being much more than $10-15.  Ahsoka is $10 on BrickLink and is only available in a $40 set, while Mando is $15, available in a $40 and $120 set.  Since this set will be $30 and be an exclusive figure for the time being, that seems about right.  The price of The Child is about to go way down, though (currently $10, I'd anticipate that drops closr to $5).  Given how popular the Mandalorian has been, I think it's likely that we'll see this figure at least one other time next year, too.  If anything, I think that the non-Beskar variant will become more valuable, since there won't really be a reason for them to make it again.  

Here's an unpopular opinion: I actually think I prefer the look of the non-Beskar variation!

Edited by Kit Figsto

1 hour ago, Pedilego said:

you're not just spiting a bunch of people you don't know - you're spiting people you don't know that also happened to support the same thing you're also passionate about.

Okay i agree ,you both bring up good points.

2 hours ago, Asajki said:

They did give us a pretty good number of sets this year and we showed them that even though they are innacurate and oversized we can still dominate the market and AAT + 501st sets are flying of the shelfs like no lego sets ever before in history of their company with most fans mass buying both sets and then you look at next year and as someone who lives and breathes prequels and loves rogue1,rebels,mandalorian,solo movie,both cw series and cw movie there is literally nothing to buy except 1 x 30$ set till probably september of 2021.
PT is still ignored in many aspects from not getting ucs sets for 10 years and 0 non droid figures in advent calendars for past 7 years to 0 brickheadz,helmets,action battle,4+ sets etc. You have lego in 2019 on actual 20th anniversary of TPM giving away 2 anniversary promos from OT,and making 6 collectable 20th anniversary figures which were also all OT,and just year later on ESB anniversary all of the sudden they celebrate movie anniversaries,they go above and beyond,they even print 40th anniversary on boxes,while we are supposed to be happy with crumbs and 5 sets out 60 being prequel.

I just saw the leak and it looks alright. Hopefully we'll get more Mandolorian sets later in the year so they can actually include spoilers. The worst part of it is definitely the "tent". 

10 hours ago, Redroe said:

I can barely see it either but I am 90% sure its the standard "current" one as seen in the two sets from this year's winter wave. Which is a shame as I think it looks incomplete without the rusty metal thing on its neck. Not sure if all tuskens had it though... need to rewatch the episode (and ANH... and AOTC)

The heck is going on with that tent though? I can't imagine what else from the episode its supposed to be. And if is meant to be the tent, well.... the designer must have come off a big weekend. 

It looks like there might just be one of the 6x6 quarter dish pieces for the base of it, though, so that's neat.

No all tuskens had it, so it´s OK.

I would prefer Mando set from season 1 (animals/vehicles: molded Blurrg, imperial speeder bike; minifigures: Kuiil, The Child, Full beskar Mando, Scout Trooper) but I am happy that we get updated Mando in a cheaper set.

Dude, the Mando set looks awesome! Looks like LEGO finally made a speeder bike in right scale. Sets at the $30US/$45AUD price point have been disappointing for a long time, this one looks like a step in the right direction. Most of the $45 sets are just one ship or one small build, really doesn’t feel like the value is there. This one has 2 of the most popular characters in modern Star Wars on their speeder and a giant crossbow to fight against, with a third side build and a tusken raider to boot. Kids will love it. AFOL opinions on this one will change when they have it in hand with the shiny new mando figure they’ve been begging for. What I don’t understand is why these sets don’t have more than 2 figures, if there are 4 figures in the cheaper battle pack sets. Would’ve loved to see a second tusken included. Cobb was never on the table for this set, nobody outside of the production crew knew about him before last week. 

15 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Cobb was never on the table for this set, nobody outside of the production crew knew about him before last week. 

Rumors about him appearing this season started in May though....

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

Disney are so tight on spoilers that they won't have broadcast it to TLG. Rumours do not a set make.

We know that for SW properties, first waves are often a bit hit and miss as the sets are based on concept art and basic descriptions etc. I imagine that's even more true for a set based on the Mandalorian, which has tighter production turnaround (less than a year in UK between seasons) and doesn't get the marketing push of the big cinematic releases. TLG likely got told, 'you can make a set with Mando on that bike from season 1 and a Tusken raider'.

The complaint about the continuing lack of sets based on season 1 has more traction. But again I stand by what I've said before... very little of season 1 lends itself to good sets. Most of them would be a handful of special minifigs and a bit of scenery which Lego doesn't like doing very often with SW apparently. The only glaring omissions from season 1 which I can think of are Gideon's TIE and an ITT. I'd have loved a generic bounty hunters battle pack to go with the Mando one. Kuill should have been in the Razor Crest, that is a no-brainer. Any more than that is extreme wishful thinking. 

Just now, Redroe said:

Disney are so tight on spoilers that they won't have broadcast it to TLG. Rumours do not a set make.

I know, just saying that Cobb didn't just appear out of thin air like The Child did last year :shrug_oh_well:

39 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I know, just saying that Cobb didn't just appear out of thin air like The Child did last year :shrug_oh_well:

If you lived in US... for us we had all the big reveals spoiled relentlessly for 6 months before they deemed we could have disney+ !

54 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Exactly. There are a lot more rumours for this season than the last one. I‘m not spoiling it here, but Timothy Olyphant playing Cobb Vanth wasn‘t the only exciting rumour, if you catch my drift :classic: Compare this to season one, where the only big rumour was that we would learn more about Yoda‘s species. No mention of a baby though. The other big reveal, the darksaber, came completely out of nowhere

7 minutes ago, Redroe said:

[...] before they deemed we could have disney+ !

The main reason are legal disputes, not marketing decisions. Launching a new worldwide streaming service is a lot harder than one may think and there’s a good reason Disney+ is still not available in a lot of places :wink: No wonder most streaming competitors in the US don‘t even try to branch out. HBO Max for example still don‘t have any plans to extend their reach beyond the US and instead sell the rights to their exclusive stuff to competitors for the global market.

But that's all irrelevant is it not? Considering TLG can't go off 'rumours' on a contract they are obliged to stick to with regards to contents of their sets. They could hardly add something in a set based off a rumour no matter how true or solid it was, simply for the fact they'd then be doing a set with spoilery contents in it, rather than staying within the confines of releasing non spoilery stuff. So it wouldn't matter how far in advance anything was known, if TLG aren't allowed to release something without official (disney) approval, or end up potentially facing consequences. Probably something they feel no need to even tread lightly around, just avoiding it altogether. 

(edit* also given how leaky some things can be with TLG, they wouldn't be able to guarantee they'd not be the source of a first spoilery leak before something from the film production, and, if rumour turned out to be false, or last minute change, then making a set with contents based on a rumour would be a bad move regardless) 

But as others have pointed out... S1 should have a better set selection by now... 

Edited by Fuppylodders

9 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

They did give us a pretty good number of sets this year and we showed them that even though they are innacurate and oversized we can still dominate the market and AAT + 501st sets are flying of the shelfs like no lego sets ever before in history of their company with most fans mass buying both sets and then you look at next year and as someone who lives and breathes prequels and loves rogue1,rebels,mandalorian,solo movie,both cw series and cw movie there is literally nothing to buy except 1 x 30$ set till probably september of 2021.

Where's your evidence here? Sure, it seems like they're selling well, but "like no lego sets ever before in the history of their company" might be a bit of an exaggeration.

As for why we aren't getting many sets for the extremely specific list you've made of every on-screen canon besides the OT and ST: Rogue one and solo each had at least one, (with solo having 2 and rogue one having a fair amount of sets in the january wave) wave(s) of sets, like the sequels lego is going to wait a while before making more for them. We have a mandalorian set coming out. Rebels and Clone wars are animated series and lego doesn't usually do many sets for those after they finish airing. The CW movie 1) was almost as bad as the holiday special, 2) got a massive wave of sets upon it's release and 3) is another animated property, so I'd imagine the same rule applies as with the shows.

7 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

I just saw the leak and it looks alright. Hopefully we'll get more Mandolorian sets later in the year so they can actually include spoilers. The worst part of it is definitely the "tent". 

I maintain that there's no way that's supposed to be a tent. If lego genuinely intended for that to be a tent, I think we're gonna need a new designer.

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Lego can't make a figure based off rumors...

50 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Lego can't make a figure based off rumors...

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

Considering TLG can't go off 'rumours' on a contract they are obliged to stick to with regards to contents of their sets.

That‘s beside the point :wink: The point is that secrecy is apparently less of a concern in S2 than it was in S1, indicated by the amount of rumours we have. How else do you explain it? That the Bothan spies got better at their jobs? :laugh:

In think Lucasfilm might just as well have clued TLG in about Cobb Vanth. The cat has been out of the bag for a long time, the only thing a LEGO leak would have done is confirm the rumour, which was very believable (and widespread) even without that. We’ve only learned about the set almost two weeks after the episode aired, so it would‘ve been pretty save to include him (I know, hindsight bias and all that, but still). 

16 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

That‘s beside the point :wink: The point is that secrecy is apparently less of a concern in S2 than it was in S1, indicated by the amount of rumours we have. How else do you explain it? That the Bothan spies got better at their jobs? :laugh:

I think the added rumours were based on the interest the first season got. No-one would have been particularly fussed about rumours for yet another new Star Wars show that nobody was even sure was going to be any good before S1 aired, but now that people are on board with it, rumours about S2 become more valuable. And they upped the stakes with the character involvement, adding to the juice factor. That's my theory, anyway.

It's fairly common knowledge that LEGO doesn't tend to get story details while producing sets (I know it's been out a couple weeks but just in case)

Spoiler

but this set seems to show Mando fighting the Tusken raiders, rather than working with them as we know he does, and there seems to be no evidence at all of the Krayt dragon.

Given Lucasfilm didn't give them these (pretty basic) story details, it's probably safe to assume they wouldn't have told LEGO about Cobb Vanth either. They could have gone ahead and made the figure anyway based on Tom Oliphant and the loose details in the Aftermath books, but even then they don't specify anything about his appearance or the armour he wears, so they would more than likely get it wrong.

Even if LEGO were presented with the opportunity to make him, I can picture the conversation going like this:

"Who's this Cobb guy?"

"Ah, he's a minor character from a book that came out a while back that we've included as a cool Easter egg for fans."

"Right, how minor was he?"

"Three chapters across three books. And it came out five years ago."

"What does he look like?"

"Can't say."

"Yeah, Din and the Child will do fine thanks."

:shrug_oh_well:

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

The company has huge influence on what a partner can produce and how they can do it. Disney is rumored to be very strict in that sense.

There is occasions where Lego designers already wanted to do stuff that was leaked or released in pictures, trailer etc - but they were not allowed to. It doesnt make sense. But it is how it is.

Sometimes of course they dont know or care so much about the products they do and just rely on concept art they get or not get and that is right or not.

Something I'm interested in is if they change the helmet - like with additional colur or printing. Or could it be a new mold even? Can anyone make it out from the better pictures?
This I personally find sad - because it forces AFOL's to go to 3rd party sellers. I actually like the dark metal grey - but I think the mold is wrong and the very least the can do is to print a bit more on the old mold. It's like leaving out the beard from an Obi Wan figure.

2 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

The company has huge influence on what a partner can produce and how they can do it. Disney is rumored to be very strict in that sense.

There is occasions where Lego designers already wanted to do stuff that was leaked or released in pictures, trailer etc - but they were not allowed to. It doesnt make sense. But it is how it is.

This is a very popular opinion on this forum that seems to pop up every month or two, like a bad penny. But there is virtually no evidence to support it... and plenty to refute it. LEGO designers have actually said the opposite -- that Lucasfilm suggested doing one thing, but then LEGO made the case for something else, which is what ended up being produced. And one need look no further than the wide diversity of products offered by different licensees to see that these partners have wide latitude to release the products that make sense for them and their customers.... the products Hasbro puts out are pretty different from those that Funko puts out, which are pretty different from those that LEGO puts out, and so on.

Yes, Lucasfilm has strict rules for how the license can be handled (this is true of almost all IP licensors, whether Marvel or WB or HP or professional sports) to ensure brand integrity is preserved and certain aspects of the IP are consistent across all licensees (e.g., Luke generally cannot appear with young Anakin, because it breaks the timeline). But suggesting that LEGO didn't put out a Cobb minifig because Lucasfilm/Disney wouldn't let them is pure fantasy.

25 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

This is a very popular opinion on this forum that seems to pop up every month or two, like a bad penny. But there is virtually no evidence to support it... and plenty to refute it. LEGO designers have actually said the opposite -- that Lucasfilm suggested doing one thing, but then LEGO made the case for something else, which is what ended up being produced.........................

But suggesting that LEGO didn't put out a Cobb minifig because Lucasfilm/Disney wouldn't let them is pure fantasy.

Oh, I totally agree with your first paragraph, they certainly do have a fair bit of room for artistic licence in designs they feel might work. From what I was aware of (couldn't even tell you how, probably from reading through this beaten donkey on these forums which ended up being the conclusion), TLG make stuff. Let Disney/Lucasfilm/whoever know what they've made or designed/want to design. Disney/LF/Whoever give their opinion if they like it or want it changed... TLG either agree with changes or suggest why it's better their way... and this happens until both agree, although typically TLG put something out, and typically disney mostly let them get on with it.

However, regarding your last statement, I can't say i agree that it is pure fantasy.

Regardless of whatever rumours are/were around, even the actors themselves have said how secretive everything is around filming trying to keep everything under wraps. The actors simply get the script their a part in, and it's emailed to them, not even hard copies anymore. 
Considering this, it is not far fetched at all to believe Disney allow TLG a *stretch* of freedom with regards to very recent relevant sets to the current season being released/shown... however, that they will also pull the leash tight on certain things which may be seen as a spoiler regardless whatever rumours are out there. Cobb *should* have been included in this set. It makes no sense why he wasn't unless either:

he is in a future set with some big dragon mouth thing or his speeder

He would have been considered a spoiler Disney wouldn't have wanted TLG to reveal in any capacity (leaks or not). As @Lego-Freak says, hindsight shows it would have been safe to include him. But before hand, there was no hindsight, no safe bet, no guarantee. I'm almost certain that Disney wouldn't run on a 'yeah, we think we can stop the leak, not 100% sure, but we'll do our best!' kinda guarantee.

Edited by Fuppylodders
spelling