MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

General Dodonna? Ok, I'll take back what I said about this wave probably not having anything of interest in its minifig department :blush: I hope for some other neat surprises like that!

Keep your eye on the shuttle then, if the counts for the x-wing and TIE are any indication we could see around 6 figures in the $70 shuttle.

2 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

A new celebration Leia would be great, but I bet they'll include the Leia with her new skirt piece. The Tantive is retiring this year so it would get them more use out of that minifigure. They probably know enough AFOLS would buy the X-Wing just for Dodanna.

And hey, skirt leia's only been in one $200 set, so showing up in a $50 x-wing isn't too bad.

28 minutes ago, Sarah_H7744 said:

I think I can wait, the Republic Gunship has become my "Must have" set.

Thanks for the advice with Bricklink, I appreciate it. :classic:

If you don't mind having a slightly different print on the gunship's turrets, you can get it for $100-130 on bricklink (without figures of course) by using "part out" and then buying from there, less if you go through your unused parts. Personally i'm at about $70 including shipping and just waiting to see if the price drops a bit more.

Just now, Flieger said:

It is also good for those who start with Lego Star Wars, or come back to it after a long time. It is pretty much what you want from an Imperial Tie. Perhaps another crewman would be nice... 

I for one hope the Tie pilot is special, e.g. Squadron's based, but that seems unlikely. Also, a new Imperial Tie pilot helmet mould would be cool, but again unlikely, to say the least.

Yeah, it's a pretty good figure lineup and definately massable (though a legion of protocol droids would be...interesting.)

The pilot is probably a normal one, though I share your enthusiasm for the new squadrons pilot designs. 

4 hours ago, wesker said:

With Luke, Han and Leia all appearing in the X-Wing and Microfighter sets, I'm guessing its safe to assume the Shuttle will definitely be Imperial themed then?

I feel like it could go either way. 

It seems like the only time that they put multiples of one main character in a single wave, the sets tend to be either very differently priced or a set where the character is pretty necessary (like Luke in both the Final Duel and AT-AT: he's key for both of those scenes). 

With these ships, they're all in a similar price range and they can do an Imperial Shuttle without necessarily putting in the Tyderium crew - putting in Vader or Palpatine might actually be better in that it gives people more of the main characters now. 

On the other hand, I don't think any of the system-scale sets this wave include Han, Chewbacca, or C-3PO (pretty sure a Microfighter will have Han), so that would be a good way to get those two lumped in as well, allowing people to get all of the main heroes except Lando in one wave.  So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Keep your eye on the shuttle then, if the counts for the x-wing and TIE are any indication we could see around 6 figures in the $70 shuttle.

I, for one, am fully on board with these 2006-level minifigure/price ratios!  :grin:

Especially if we're still getting somewhat unique figures like the Death Star Droid and General Dodonna.  It's kind of like the Slave I minifigure approach: include the main characters for that scene, plus one or two marginally related but desirable figures too!

11 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

A new celebration Leia would be great, but I bet they'll include the Leia with her new skirt piece. The Tantive is retiring this year so it would get them more use out of that minifigure. They probably know enough AFOLS would buy the X-Wing just for Dodanna.

He would be a great inclusion, almost the last major fig we need from ANH (aunt Beru lego. Come on!) And aftermarket Antilles torsos to make a custom one are expensive.

10 hours ago, azanderk said:

I selfishly hope they include a different Leia than the Tantive version, but with their recent recycling of the battle-worn Anakin and Obi-Won, I think we will see a recycle.

Don't get me wrong, I think including standard Leia is a fine move. She is a relatively rare fig (amazingly) but the celebration one (edit.... i forgot the recent Death Star Escape), being rarer still and quite Yavin specific would be a great gift to Afols.

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I wonder what hairpiece they'll use for Dodonna, maybe the Doc Brown one? 

Probably.... with a reused Admiral Ematt head underneath. :facepalm:

I am doing a scaled down DS MOC to replace my original 2008 one, to save space and have already sold off my black 3P0... i could really use a "proper" imperial protocol droid so I'm thrilled about that. 

Whichever faction is present in the Imperial Shuttle, there will be some good figures come out of it. I picked up the Tydirium off ebay, sans figures, and won't buy the new one unless its exceptional value but a black-uniformed Imperial Officer would be a good touch.

11 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I feel like it could go either way. 

It seems like the only time that they put multiples of one main character in a single wave, the sets tend to be either very differently priced or a set where the character is pretty necessary (like Luke in both the Final Duel and AT-AT: he's key for both of those scenes). 

With these ships, they're all in a similar price range and they can do an Imperial Shuttle without necessarily putting in the Tyderium crew - putting in Vader or Palpatine might actually be better in that it gives people more of the main characters now. 

On the other hand, I don't think any of the system-scale sets this wave include Han, Chewbacca, or C-3PO (pretty sure a Microfighter will have Han), so that would be a good way to get those two lumped in as well, allowing people to get all of the main heroes except Lando in one wave.  So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I, for one, am fully on board with these 2006-level minifigure/price ratios!  :grin:

Especially if we're still getting somewhat unique figures like the Death Star Droid and General Dodonna.  It's kind of like the Slave I minifigure approach: include the main characters for that scene, plus one or two marginally related but desirable figures too!

A microfighter has Han, like you said, and c-3po was in the fairly recent landspeeder set. Chewbacca's last system set was the TROS falcon in october 2019, though. (they also all show up in the cantina, but that's a $350 MBS and not really a normal set.)

All recent enough that it's not like they're due for a new figure, but it's possible.

I agree, these figure-price ratios are great! It's the same figure count as x-wings and TIEs usually have, but about half the price!

If I had to guess, we'd see something like: Palpatine, Vader, officer, shuttle pilot, 2x stormtrooper (or royal guard, although having two sets include figure lineups of palpatine, vader, and royal guards within 6 months is somewhat unlikely.) 

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Unless its Tatooine Luke in which case you get him in two 25 quid entry level sets :laugh:

(Just realised i quoted a reply rather than the original, soz).

Edited by Redroe

1 hour ago, Pirean_Grammaticul said:

oh neat: looks like you get all your main characters in one wave

Maybe we do.  They are speculating on what may show up in the 2021 sets.  We do not have confirmation on any of this so far (even the Death Star Droid leak is not a confirmation on where it may show up).

Cheers :)

I’ve gone from not really caring about this wave to it giving me hope that things are really going in a positive direction for Lego SW. I’ve said it before, but 2012-14 seemed like a ‘golden age’ for LSW before the Disney era where decent builds were mixed with great minifigure lineups and both OT and PT got fair coverage. These were the years of Jabba’s palace, sailbarge, gungan sub, Palpatine’s Arrest, Republic Gunship etc. Sadly I only came out of my Dark Age in 2015 so I missed all of these.

Fast forward five years later and I was fully expecting this new X-Wing to only come with Luke and R2 which shows just how expensive the SW line has got where you expect very little for your money. I am very pleased therefore to hear the rumours of both Leia and Dodanna coming in the X-Wing. If it is true, it seems like Lego’s ‘soft reset’ of the SW line might be a very good thing.

My thinking is admittedly going to be skewed by the fact that I favour minifigures over builds when it comes to the SW line, but to me builds can always get more accurate and Lego could continue to increase their prices and produce more intricate models but this is only going to alienate most of their market; neither kids, parents or even a lot of AFOLs could keep up with the prices if they continue to increase.

So scaling back models to a point where they are still perfectly acceptable for both play and display to drop the price is a good compromise. But if Lego is also going to reintroduce decent minifigure counts for the prices then that is even better. That to me would bring then back to the days of decent builds and minifigures for not extortionate prices and all they would have to do then is give the PT fair coverage in the second half of 2021 and they would be back to their sweet spot in my opinion. I’m very eager to find out what minifigures the Shuttle will be coming with because it feels like it could go either way right now, but I really want Lego to include a great lineup to confirm they really are going back to the ‘good old days’.

The only trouble is, I will now probably be buying the X-Wing when before it was an easy pass, but that just proves Lego’s new move is working.

2 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

I’ve gone from not really caring about this wave to it giving me hope that things are really going in a positive direction for Lego SW. I’ve said it before, but 2012-14 seemed like a ‘golden age’ for LSW before the Disney era where decent builds were mixed with great minifigure lineups and both OT and PT got fair coverage. These were the years of Jabba’s palace, sailbarge, gungan sub, Palpatine’s Arrest, Republic Gunship etc. Sadly I only came out of my Dark Age in 2015 so I missed all of these.

Fast forward five years later and I was fully expecting this new X-Wing to only come with Luke and R2 which shows just how expensive the SW line has got where you expect very little for your money. I am very pleased therefore to hear the rumours of both Leia and Dodanna coming in the X-Wing. If it is true, it seems like Lego’s ‘soft reset’ of the SW line might be a very good thing.

My thinking is admittedly going to be skewed by the fact that I favour minifigures over builds when it comes to the SW line, but to me builds can always get more accurate and Lego could continue to increase their prices and produce more intricate models but this is only going to alienate most of their market; neither kids, parents or even a lot of AFOLs could keep up with the prices if they continue to increase.

So scaling back models to a point where they are still perfectly acceptable for both play and display to drop the price is a good compromise. But if Lego is also going to reintroduce decent minifigure counts for the prices then that is even better. That to me would bring then back to the days of decent builds and minifigures for not extortionate prices and all they would have to do then is give the PT fair coverage in the second half of 2021 and they would be back to their sweet spot in my opinion. I’m very eager to find out what minifigures the Shuttle will be coming with because it feels like it could go either way right now, but I really want Lego to include a great lineup to confirm they really are going back to the ‘good old days’.

The only trouble is, I will now probably be buying the X-Wing when before it was an easy pass, but that just proves Lego’s new move is working.

I agree with so much of this post that I might as well have written it.

To the people upset that the PT is not represented in this wave, I say.... patience. (Patience? Yes.)  If TLG us doing a reboot they are 100% bound to start with a solid foundation and build (ahem) from there. Don't be surprised if we get the staple prequel sets next... Naboo fighter, AT TE etc. There is the first, no second UCS PT set ever this year, we know practically zero about the second half of the year and the recent success of the CW will not have gone unnoticed. Chins up, Afols. We might be about to enter a second golden age. 

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

I agree with so much of this post that I might as well have written it.

To the people upset that the PT is not represented in this wave, I say.... patience. (Patience? Yes.)  If TLG us doing a reboot they are 100% bound to start with a solid foundation and build (ahem) from there. Don't be surprised if we get the staple prequel sets next... Naboo fighter, AT TE etc. There is the first, no second UCS PT set ever this year, we know practically zero about the second half of the year and the recent success of the CW will not have gone unnoticed. Chins up, Afols. We might be about to enter a second golden age. 

Haha thank you. :classic: Yep, patience is a key word in SW so we should probably try and heed it. Like you I'm expecting a Naboo Fighter, Clone Turbo Tank or such like next presuming Lego doesn't completely surprise us and go full OT. And after a few years of ST sets I'm totally up for that.

On 11/7/2020 at 12:05 AM, Kit Figsto said:

Good call.  That makes a lot more sense than the Yavin base, which was my initial thinking (albeit wishful...).  I think if we did get an MBS Yavin, it'd probably be fall of 2022, since they seem to have a 2 year cycle on the MBS stuff.  The only other thing I thought of was maybe something similar in style to the 2006 DS II?  Honestly, I'm not sure though, part of the appeal of that one was that i thad the unfinished section, if it was DS I, it's basically just a giant ball, and I almost think people would rather have the playset version instead, as it'd be about the same size but have functionality.

That was one thing I thought of too, but I had also thought that it was only Luke and R2-D2, so I guess we'll just have to see.  The DS re-re-release makes sense too, since that's been kind of a staple and is clearly something that sells well enough, considering he's been on the shelf for almost 13 years now.  

What is EOL?

Yes having a Yavin Base would be wonderful but if ever happen not in two years, 2021:s fall UCS should with very high probablility be a vehicle. Would be funny if we got a Nebulon B (and not impossible either that the make number one and two in the competition in the same year). 

47 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

What is EOL?

Yes having a Yavin Base would be wonderful but if ever happen not in two years, 2021:s fall UCS should with very high probablility be a vehicle. Would be funny if we got a Nebulon B (and not impossible either that the make number one and two in the competition in the same year). 

End of life

4 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Haha thank you. :classic: Yep, patience is a key word in SW so we should probably try and heed it. Like you I'm expecting a Naboo Fighter, Clone Turbo Tank or such like next presuming Lego doesn't completely surprise us and go full OT. And after a few years of ST sets I'm totally up for that.

I imagine this wave's OT focus is due to their new approach at these sets. Aside from the microfighters, mando set, etc, it's an X-wing and TIE fighter alongside a lamba. The two most iconic vehicles in star wars, with the lambda also being a very well-known design and probably the most iconic one to do for a shuttle-type thing. (I feel like the falcon wouldn't be able to be done at $70 with any amount of interior besides a cockpit, so that'd rule it out)

1 hour ago, Sneakguest said:

Yavin would come 2022 at the earliest like you say, and even then there's things like an MBS jabba's palace or endor bunker. It's annoying only getting one of these every few years, but I guess it makes sense considering the market. Adults who'll buy multi-hundred dollar iconic ships are one thing, but ones who will buy massive playsets are somewhat more rare, I imagine.

I might be in the minority here, but I think I'd actually rather any UCS Gunship to be a blowout system scale set with a wealth of minifigures like the Sandcrawler or Ewok Village, rather than a more hyper detailed display model. But I would definitely understand the disappointment for some if it were that way. 

14 minutes ago, Mark1006 said:

I might be in the minority here, but I think I'd actually rather any UCS Gunship to be a blowout system scale set with a wealth of minifigures like the Sandcrawler or Ewok Village, rather than a more hyper detailed display model. But I would definitely understand the disappointment for some if it were that way. 

Same here. I have a tendency towards liking my lego playable even if I don't 'play' with it. 

That 232nd trooper in the Greivous fighter really makes me suspect this gunship is going to be based on an Utapau setting, at a similar scale to previous gunships but with advanced build techniques.

Adults who'll buy multi-hundred dollar iconic ships are one thing, but ones who will buy massive playsets are somewhat more rare, I imagine.

I am such a person but at this stage of life the MBS sets are pushing the limit even for me. I have several prior claims on my wallet these days, all of them needing fed.

£320 is a big price tag for something like the cantina. If they could scale it down to £200 or 250, and I mean scale down the actual set not just the price, that would be great.

24 minutes ago, Mark1006 said:

I think the problem is that the pricing isn't as conducive.  With the Sandcrawler or most of the other UCS ships that are minifigure-compatible (the Slave I, Millenium Falcon, etc), both a normal-scale version of the set and the UCS versions of the set can be used with figures, the normal one is just a scaled-down version.  So if you buy an $80 Slave I, it's not totally in scale, but it works with figures because the proportions are good enough. 

With a Gunship, the issue is that it can't really be scaled up from the normal, system version of the set - which tend to retail for $100-120.  That version is already effectively minifigure scale.  If they price the UCS Gunship at like $200 or even $250, which most UCS ships tend to be (not saying it can't be lower, but history just suggest that a set that size is difficult to do for cheaper than that), they can't really add in $100 worth of value to it unless they make it substantially bigger.  Therefore, you've run into the problem of it not being minifigure scale anymore.

I feel like a lot of fans would prefer the set that you described, though.

Yavin would come 2022 at the earliest like you say, and even then there's things like an MBS jabba's palace or endor bunker. It's annoying only getting one of these every few years, but I guess it makes sense considering the market. Adults who'll buy multi-hundred dollar iconic ships are one thing, but ones who will buy massive playsets are somewhat more rare, I imagine.

At a certain point I do wonder if they'll run out of these.  Like, Cloud City was probably one of the most requested re-releases ever and it only had a 1.5 year shelf life in most regions.  The Cantina seems to be selling really well, but it's also the most iconic location in the entire franchise save for the Death Star.  I think Yavin, Jabba's Palace, Endor as you mentioned are good ones, maybe Geonosis and the Jedi Temple, but beyond that I struggle to think of a location that I think could actually sell well as a $350 playset.  There are dozens that you could make into an MBS set, but those are the only ones that I actually believe would do okay on shelves.

Edited by Kit Figsto

58 minutes ago, Mark1006 said:

I'm not sure about the minority; I've seen a decent chunk of people (mainly here on EB, admittedly) say that they voted for the gunship in anticipation of a wealth of minifigures. As cool as it would be, for reasons others have stated I think that's fairly unlikely, although it certainly seems popular.

If the gunship were a D2C set rather than a bona fide UCS set, that might happen - slightly upscaled, around $200, 6 or 7 minifigs. But as far as we're aware it's going to be given the big ol' UCS treatment I think.

41 minutes ago, Redroe said:

That 232nd trooper in the Greivous fighter really makes me suspect this gunship is going to be based on an Utapau setting, at a similar scale to previous gunships but with advanced build techniques.

Co-dy! Co-dy! Co-dy! :laugh:

43 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I'm not sure about the minority; I've seen a decent chunk of people (mainly here on EB, admittedly) say that they voted for the gunship in anticipation of a wealth of minifigures.

I thought the trend here was actually the reverse, lots of people voting for the nebulon as a UCS because the assumption was that a UCS LAAT wouldn't be the minifig scale with loads of figures they'd hope for, instead mentioning the desire for another normal playset LAAT set in the form accompanying the poll

I voted for the Gunship because it’s my favorite ship in the franchise and it would be spectacular in UCS scale. The system scale is already very close to minifig scale so I want a scaled up massively detailed version, regardless of any minifigures or lack thereof

4 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

At a certain point I do wonder if they'll run out of these.  Like, Cloud City was probably one of the most requested re-releases ever and it only had a 1.5 year shelf life in most regions.  The Cantina seems to be selling really well, but it's also the most iconic location in the entire franchise save for the Death Star.  I think Yavin, Jabba's Palace, Endor as you mentioned are good ones, maybe Geonosis and the Jedi Temple, but beyond that I struggle to think of a location that I think could actually sell well as a $350 playset.  There are dozens that you could make into an MBS set, but those are the only ones that I actually believe would do okay on shelves.

I'm not so sure, given that they only release once every 2 years. We'll say in addition to the 5 sets already released (ewok village, hoth/echo base, cantina, death star, cloud city.) they make 3-5 new ones from your list: Jabba's palace, endor bunker, pentaki, yavin and/or jedi temple. That means there'd be 8-10 mbs sets, so by the time they ran out, 16-20 years would have passed, definitely enough time for them to cycle back through.

4 hours ago, Redroe said:

Lego's implied it'll be based on attack of the clones.

4 hours ago, Mark1006 said:

Definitely not in the minority. You should have seen some of the "predictions" people had when the set won the vote, expecting like 4 different clone commanders and a massive amount of troopers. :hmpf_bad:

This is why I didn't vote for the gunship, I'd rather the nebuleon be made as a UCS and the gunship be system scale. Since the gunship won, a system scale gunship, one more likely to be minifigure scale and have more figures, is unlikely.

Personally, if it's "true" UCS I won't buy it. If it's a more MBS kind of UCS then I'll be a day one buyer and have the argument with my wife and conscience later.

Now i think on it. Do TLG actually still differentiate between UCs and MBs or does it all come under the umbrella of 18+?

I never bought a UCS set (I retroactively count the DS as MBS) so I am not sure.

Edited by Redroe

30 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Now i think on it. Do TLG actually still differentiate between UCs and MBs or does it all come under the umbrella of 18+?

I never bought a UCS set (I retroactively count the DS as MBS) so I am not sure.

Brickset does so I assume LEGO does as well :shrug_oh_well: