MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

43 minutes ago, Makin Bacon said:

Anything to get that new scout trooper in greater circulation is a win in my book

He's in a 25 quid set already. Not a great one, but not a bad place to start. Some Ewok army builder fodder there also. Might have retired by now of course, I am far too lazy to check.

Does anyone have a quick answer on whether Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina is considered canon these days? 

I can't see T/f Jabba's Palace or T/o Bounty Hunters being so, as they include a fair bit of Han. But I wonder. I know the names of the characters clearly carry over into new canon.

None of the novels before A New Dawn are now considered canon (with the exception of film novelizations themselves, where they don't directly contradict the films).

Edited by The_Chosen_1

20 minutes ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

None of the novels before A New Dawn are now considered canon (with the exception of film novelizations themselves, where they don't directly contradict the films).

I won't spend the £4 on amazon kindle to read it then. :laugh: Shame. Much of that lore is deeply ingrained in Star Wars psyche.

MBS Jabba's Palace, Lego. You know you want to. Put a gonk droid in and @Mandalorianknightfor one will definitely buy it.

3 hours ago, Redroe said:

He's in a 25 quid set already. Not a great one, but not a bad place to start. Some Ewok army builder fodder there also. Might have retired by now of course, I am far too lazy to check.

@Makin Bacon 18 quid in fact! I picked one up cheap earlier this summer, it's a decent parts pack as well. It is listed as retiring soon on the site so if you have warriors want some scout troopers, now is the time.

6 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

@Makin Bacon 18 quid in fact! I picked one up cheap earlier this summer, it's a decent parts pack as well. It is listed as retiring soon on the site so if you have warriors want some scout troopers, now is the time.

I wish I was that lucky, however he has unfortunately remained $40 CAD at all retailers from day one 'til now :sad:

A shame only @Redroe got my point. Yes, Star Wars has always been about the merchandise since 1977, there’s a reason George kept the rights, but at least George put the story first. He may have made RotJ with toys in mind but he wrote so many different endings to get to the final product. Jar Jar might’ve been a ploy to sell more merch but at least he does something in the movie, the character literally ends the race war on his homemade planet.

Disney on the other hand, they wouldn’t be even let Lucasfilm move the release dates of the films. They wanted the movies out ASAP. That’s one of the few things I can’t blame Kathleen Kennedy for on the sequels, she wanted the time to do it right and she wasn’t allowed to have it. 

Also, I think I speak for everyone when I ask UCS gonk droid when?

Edited by Brikkyy13

8 hours ago, Redroe said:

I'm detecting a certain fondess towards gonk droids in your comments. 2020 has been a good year for you!

I know! Those parts had been around years before they did the current P2 helmet. Totally inexplicable.

They're just funny waddling things and of course we're never getting a gonk set  somehow got a set that included a remote-control gonk with a saw arm, so it's my go-to for jokes here.

it is weird. Personally I like the helmets much better without the holes in the sides, but if the cost of no holes is no clone commanders, I'll have to give in there. No P2 Cody is insane.

8 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

ANYWAY. I like the idea of the hero vehicle being the ITT looking thing from the second trailer. I reckon they could make it fit the $30ish price range well and you could easily have Mando, Greef, Cara and/or a scout trooper in there.

I would also like to lend my support to anything GNK related.

I agree, the big thing I notice here is that this specific model's exterior trooper pods have been replaced with turrets, so it'll look more believable at a $30 price point than when it's got 6 guys hanging off the sides for scale. I also agree with the figure lineup.

and of course, all hail the almighty gonk droid. 

7 hours ago, Makin Bacon said:

Anything to get that new scout trooper in greater circulation is a win in my book

Yup. It's a great mold, and only being available in a $130 set and then a $30 set that's quite possibly the worst set of all time doesn't make it easy to get ahold of.

Maybe we should get an endor battle pack, that could easily have 2 scouts in it.

6 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

They wanted the movies out ASAP. That’s one of the few things I can’t blame Kathleen Kennedy for on the sequels

Even worse to think ep 9 was originally planned for May not December! Madness.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

a $30 set that's quite possibly the worst set of all time

Oof harsh. Its a pretty bad set yes. But when there are First Order ATSTs and Grievous Speeders in the wild, at least having some nice shooty cannons excuses some of the naffness of the builds.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

somehow got a set that included a remote-control gonk with a saw arm, 

A green one at that. Clearly no one at lego has ever seen a gonk droid. 

19 hours ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

As far as I'm aware the film novelizations aren't canon anymore either, obviously aside from what is specifically shown and said in the movies.

7 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

As far as I'm aware the film novelizations aren't canon anymore either, obviously aside from what is specifically shown and said in the movies.

I think the new Disney Film novelisations are canon, just not the novelisations for the original 6. 

The novelizations for 1-6 are not canon anymore, which is massive shame because 3's is nearly perfect. 

Was there another microfighter rumored or was it only the MF and the Tauntaun/AT-AT? 

It's pretty simple: everything released before April 25th 2014 is no longer canon with The Clone Wars (both show and movie) being the sole exception

5 hours ago, Gontron said:

The novelizations for 1-6 are not canon anymore, which is massive shame because 3's is nearly perfect.  

They weren't really canon to begin with due to the contradictions with the respective film itself :laugh: Canon before the Disney era was weird anyway. Nowadays, we have "canon" and "legends" and that's it. Back then, there was a system with levels of canon and if any contradictions were to pop up, say the deaths of Eeth Koth and Even Piell in TCW, which contradicted previous accounts of their respective demises, the source located in the higher level of canon "won". I don't recall the exact order, but the films and TCW were above everything else. The new system makes a lot more sense

Edited by Lego-Freak

6 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

It's pretty simple: everything released before April 25th 2014 is no longer canon with The Clone Wars (both show and movie) being the sole exception

And the films, of course.

6 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

They weren't really canon to begin with due to the contradictions with the respective film itself :laugh: Canon before the Disney era was weird anyway. Nowadays, we have "canon" and "legends" and that's it. Back then, there was a system with levels of canon and if any contradictions were to pop up, say the deaths of Eeth Koth and Even Piell in TCW, which contradicted previous accounts of their respective demises, the source located in the higher level of canon "won". I don't recall the exact order, but the films and TCW were above everything else. The new system makes a lot more sense

I agree, the old canon was so contradictory and weird, I'm glad they cleaned it up. The canon clone wars contradicts a ton of the old 2d one, too, and like you mention with a few of the jedi, people dying and then showing up in something that takes place later in the timeline wan't uncommon (The many deaths of Shaak Ti being the most well-known example).

To try and bring this somehow back on-topic, the cantina uses what I believe to be the legends names of a few of the characters that haven't been named in canon, which is interesting. 

21 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

And the films, of course.

Of course :grin: I was just talking about the non-movie material

On 10/25/2020 at 10:58 AM, Guyon2002 said:

Of course :grin: I was just talking about the non-movie material

I know, but if I can't misconstrue people's statements on the internet, then what's the point? :laugh:

"Mando Mondays" are these new merch events, they"revealed" the child statue and razor crest today but since there's supposed to be one the monday before every episode, I think the odds of seeing the 2021 mando set(s) towards the end of season 2's mando mondays are high. (side note, the actors' love for the show is palpable, I hope Gina Carano shows up in a subsequent one)

On 10/26/2020 at 1:36 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

I agree, the old canon was so contradictory and weird, I'm glad they cleaned it up. The canon clone wars contradicts a ton of the old 2d one, too, and like you mention with a few of the jedi, people dying and then showing up in something that takes place later in the timeline wan't uncommon (The many deaths of Shaak Ti being the most well-known example).

To try and bring this somehow back on-topic, the cantina uses what I believe to be the legends names of a few of the characters that haven't been named in canon, which is interesting. 

Pretty sure the Tartakovsky Clone Wars was never considered true canon to begin with. Very weird considering characters like Assaj Ventress were carried over without being properly reintroduced.

As for the names, I just work under the assumption that legends is still canon unless stated otherwise. 

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I know, but if I can't misconstrue people's statements on the internet, then what's the point? :laugh:

"Mando Mondays" are these new merch events, they"revealed" the child statue and razor crest today but since there's supposed to be one the monday before every episode, I think the odds of seeing the 2021 mando set(s) towards the end of season 2's mando mondays are high. (side note, the actors' love for the show is palpable, I hope Gina Carano shows up in a subsequent one)

It seems to me that the Mandalorian set will be shown after the end of season 2

9 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

As for the names, I just work under the assumption that legends is still canon unless stated otherwise. 

That's what I like about the current canon 'rules' - you can think of the Legends stuff as just that, legends, that in-universe might have been passed down through hearsay and word of mouth rather than 'official' written records. It means that apart from contradictions you can almost pick and choose the bits of Legends that you like.

There's what, eight episodes in a season? That would make the last Mando Monday mid-December, with a set that comes out in February. Possible, although I do feel like they'd wait until the season finishes. Maybe there'll be one last Mando Monday after the season finale.

5 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

That's what I like about the current canon 'rules' - you can think of the Legends stuff as just that, legends, that in-universe might have been passed down through hearsay and word of mouth rather than 'official' written records. It means that apart from contradictions you can almost pick and choose the bits of Legends that you like.

There's what, eight episodes in a season? That would make the last Mando Monday mid-December, with a set that comes out in February. Possible, although I do feel like they'd wait until the season finishes. Maybe there'll be one last Mando Monday after the season finale.

We did get a couple of official reveals in like November of last year, if I remember right, for some January sets (I believe Obi-Wan's Hut was one, the Landspeeder I think was the other?), so it's possible that we get it a bit earlier, especially if it's not something spoiler-y from the last couple of episodes.

10 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

We did get a couple of official reveals in like November of last year, if I remember right, for some January sets (I believe Obi-Wan's Hut was one, the Landspeeder I think was the other?)

Nope, these two were revealed during the SDCC in July :classic:

I think there‘s a decent chance the set might get revealed in one of the upcoming Mando Mondays, especially considering it probably won‘t include anything spoilerific  in the slightest :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Nope, these two were revealed during the SDCC in July :classic:

I think there‘s a decent chance the set might get revealed in one of the upcoming Mando Mondays, especially considering it probably won‘t include anything spoilerific  in the slightest :shrug_oh_well:

exactly, if it's coming out in january there won't be any spoilers anyway, and with how much merchandise they revealed monday I'm certain they'll show off the january set in a future mando monday.

I'm a fan of the new "affordable-scale" models, especially the X-Wing.  That will be a day-one buy for me.  I still maintain that the 2013 UCS X-Wing was a massive disappointment, and since I unfortunately no longer have my 2018 version (long story...) this new one is a no-brainer.  I just hope it's available January 1 in this country.  :ugh:

1 hour ago, RogueTwo said:

I just hope it's available January 1 in this country.  :ugh:

The X-Wing has a february release though :tongue:

45 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

The X-Wing has a february release though :tongue:

Dammit :tongue:

Well, thanks for at least tempering my expectations!