MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Imperial Shuttle looks so good for $80, really happy the way that came out, considering that the 2018 X Wing was the same price, you just get so much more. I might pick this up if the figures are good, can’t go wrong at that price. X Wing for $50 also looks fantastic, I have the 2018 version so I have no need to pick it up. I think the Tie is the worst of the bunch, but it’s still a good deal for $40. These sets really remind me of the sets of old, instead of obsessing over every detail which should be reserved for UCS sets, they get the general idea and are affordable. 

14 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Anyone else think the Han with the microfighter is the same as in 75243 (blue jacket hoth Han with no dual moulded legs or mask)? 

It looks like brown jacket Han to me, but the quality isn't great.

The Tauntaun looks decent, not as good as the Bantha but maybe that's because we've had a molded Tauntaun before, so subconsciously I'm going to compare it with that one.  The AT-AT looks the same as the last microfighter we got of it, which isn't horrible since it was pretty good looking.  Not super interested in the Falcon because I have the previous one, but it looks good.  The Resistance X-Wing looks as expected.  For $50, the X-Wing looks pretty good.  The front and the entire nose has more studs than the model usually looks, definitely fewer wing details, but it captures the source material well.  I might be getting one.  The TIE we've already more or less seen, but it looks good too.  The Shuttle to me might be my favorite.  I'd love to see more pictures of the interior and minifigures, but I think that it looks really nice.  

All in all, the ships remind me a lot of the 2005-2008 era OT sets, when we were first starting to get remakes of some of the original versions of the sets we got - much more detailed than the original ones, but the pricing was pretty good and they still captured the ships well.  On one hand, I think I personally really liked this era of sets, so I'm glad to see a return to that style, and when you compare SW to HP or Super Heroes, the pricing is kind of terrible, so this is going to be really good for kids to be able to afford the classic ships.  But, I also do understand that for those that have these ships already, this wave is pretty weak other than potentially the TBD Mando set.  

5 minutes ago, RODDY said:

These sets really remind me of the sets of old, instead of obsessing over every detail which should be reserved for UCS sets, they get the general idea and are affordable. 

Exactly this. This feels like LEGO returning to their roots a bit, I'm all for it.

Huh! I have to say, I’m really pleasantly surprised! I was pretty let down by the TIE and figured all of the other cheaper sets would look like that, then LEGO pulls off this great-looking X Wing at such a lower price than before, and despite a simple and blocky body, the Shuttle isn’t half bad either. 

New Tie definitely looks better than I expected, smaller wings work for some reason.

Not so sure about Shuttle, as cockpit looks too small and probably fits just 1 minifig. If there is interior space I guess it could be a good set for me. Too early to say.

Tauntaun and At-At look nice though. Definitely a nice purchase for that Hoth Luke.

The X-Wing looks fantastic and the TIE looks even better now that we can see it more clearly. The Imperial Shuttle also looks really good. Too bad we didn't get a glimpse of the Mando set but it probably wasn't in there. I definitely appreciate the downsizing while still maintaining a high level of detail. I'm willing to spend $40 on a good TIE and $50 for a good X-Wing but when they've been about double that for awhile it's been utterly ridiculous. Btw, I must say I like the redesign to the nose of the X-Wing.

The X-Wing looks very good for a smaller $50 set. This was absolutely the right approach for TLG to take and hopefully it will stick.

Not sure what's going on with the under the cockpit of that shuttle, but it's looking pretty good to me otherwise. The others look pretty good for their new size as well. I feel like the tie could have benefited from some larger pieces for the wings as opposed to more pieces, but it's not bad. 

If this is maybe a soft reboot of sorts for Lego star wars, I'll be cool with it. As long as we get more variety down the line that is. I grew up on the prequels and the OG battlefront II, so I'm hoping for some more stuff from that era come summer. An ARC-170 or vulture droid would do great with this new style, but I digress.

Hoping the minifigs and Mando set spill soon. Does anyone know how many the shuttle comes with? 

I’ve seen the photos from the catalogue that we're all talking about but do we think there’s any more photos to come from this same booklet that would include the helmets?

At first glance the X-wing looked quite good to me. Nice colors like the 2018 version, a nice size that is more appropriate for minifigs and a good price. I also quite like the new build for the tip of the nose. But then I saw how the nose goes immediately from 4 studs wide to 3 and it looks quite bad. As they still haven't captured the downward slope of the whole nose section, it is a shame to loose the sloped/angled side panels. I hope there is at least 1 other minifig included.

The Imperial Shuttle body looks way too blocky. I don't know what is going on with the underside of the cockpit but it looks horrible. Don't think it's a good price at all, would gladly pay a bit more for a better one. Luckily I have the 2015 version so I already did just that. I like the downsizing of most of these sets but some sets are just meant to be expensive, and the Imperial Shuttle is no exception, the 2015 version is probably the smallest you can get it while fitting minifigures.

The TIE looks alright, the dark grey bits are unfortunate. Can't they just use clips instead of ball joints? The cockpit is nice and round and it is definitely an appropriate size for a TIE, though the wings seem a bit too short so I'd rather they went with even stubbier wings and slightly longer pylons so that it would at least look like the SW Rebels design.

Resistance X-wing still keeps the ugly cockpit from the other 4+ set. I do like how the engines form a nice circle and not some oval shape. The Microfighters are completely uninteresting and this has to be the most boring minifigure selection in a wave of all time.

I have no problem putting $50 down for that X-Wing. I actually enjoy the simplicity of details like the cannons and even if the nose shape is not screen accurate, I like how thinner it is compared to every X-Wing since the theme launched.

I'm sold on the X-wing. The 2018 model is brilliant and this new version looks great too. 

Anyone know how many minifigures will be included? Obviously we're getting Luke and R2, but it would be nice to get someone like Wedge or Garvin too. 

The astromech in the socket almost looks grey, but that could just be because the colors are washed out. 

42 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I’ve seen the photos from the catalogue that we're all talking about but do we think there’s any more photos to come from this same booklet that would include the helmets?

I doubt it, since these sets are February releases (we got these leaks three months early. Damn!) and the helmets are April releases, I think.

It appears that the Han in the microfighter isn't Hoth Han after all, just brown jacket Han, which is a shame.

9 minutes ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

Anyone know how many minifigures will be included? Obviously we're getting Luke and R2, but it would be nice to get someone like Wedge or Garvin too. 

I think only these two are rumoured to be included :sceptic: Quite sad when you think that even the 4+ one had three minifigs. In general, the minifigs will undoubtedly be the least interesting aspect of these sets. Depending on the minifigs included in the Mando set, we could end up with the first wave in ages that doesn't introduce a single new character. When was the last time that happened? :facepalm:

I'm actually surprised by this wave from what we can see. I was a bit skeptical at first with the whole 'scaling down' but it seems to have worked. Out of all of the ships, I think the X-Wing looks the best. The new nose design is really nice. The Imperial Shuttle is the one I'll probably pick up, since I missed out on the last one. I agree with the comments that it looks too blocky, and the cockpit certainly looks odd, but it matches the one on 75221 (aside from the bottom). I really hope it's an Imperial shuttle this time, and not a shuttle with rebel figs, but we'll see. Overall, surprised by the competency of this wave, but I should now know to have more faith in TLG.

I think the bit underneath the cockpit of the shuttle might be a folded up boarding ramp. Maybe it has landing gear that just isn't being shown in the prelim to provide enough room for it to be folded down? Either that or it's the bottom half of the cockpit and the top half is supposed to come down farther over it kinda like how some past shuttles have been and somebody just didn't push it down all the way for the prelim picture.

Edited by ToaDraco

For what they’re supposed to be, the simplified OT ships look charming! I quite like the TIE in particular, though I’m not a big fan of the blocky Imperial Shuttle. I can appreciate the new approach towards the X-Wing’s nose, but am perfectly happy with my 2018 one, though I’ve yet to open it.

Whilst this is a fantastic wave for newcomers to the line and those fed up with the pricing and scaling of the OT ships over the past couple of years, I do feel put off by the more or less complete focus on the OT. The choice of sets feels completely uninspired, and it certainly looks like we won’t be getting any significant new characters.

Hopeful to see what the Mandalorian set has to offer, though I’m expecting something along the lines of a pair of speeder bikes at best given the pricepoint. I sincerely hope the summer wave is able to recapture my interest!

Overall, I’m curious to see what this focus on simplified and cheaper renditions of iconic vehicles entails for the rest of this theme going forward, particularly when applied towards ships and vehicles from other eras. 

Edited by T21Typhoon

6 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Pictures of the retail catalogue have leaked in the usual place :thumbup: The X-Wing looks decent, but the dark gray ball joint piece on the TIE really doesn‘t look good :sceptic: 

Agreed.

5 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I do find it quite funny how Luke's lightsabre just clips on to the side of the Tauntaun like some kind of jousting knight or something out of Robot Wars. It's genius, why didn't the Jedi just strap their lightsabres to the front of their speeders? :laugh:

Kinda reminds me of the old 2003 clone wars with the clone jousters.

4 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

To be fair we haven't seen the figures yet, but valid points otherwise.

I completely forgot about the Mandalorian set. Would the fact it isn't in these photos suggest it's from season 2 rather than season 1? Surely it would be in there otherwise...

Weirdly enough the unknown microfighter isn't there either, and the resistance x-wing is barely shown. I'm guessing whoever got the catalogue just didn't take a picture of it for some reason or other.

Tie looks pretty good, though they really needed to recolor that ball joint. 

X-wing image is kinda blurry so I can't tell for sure but it looks nearly as good as the 2018 one, and for $30 less that's not bad at all.

Lamda looks good too, nothing special but it's a great ship anyway.

Resistance starfighter is fine for a 4+ set.

As for the microfighters, they look fine, I might pick up the two pack for hoth luke and to use as parts. The han set has me worried, they seem to have regressed and are now using the scott lang/peter parker head for han. 

Personally I won't pick up any of these except maybe the tauntaun microfighter, just because I have the most recent prior versions of all these sets, but they look like good sets and I'm happy for anyone who wants to pick up a good model of an iconic ship without breaking the bank. Hopefully the figure selections are nice.

Surprised we got decent quality pictures so early compared to the usual 144p watermarked images of previous years. 

The X-Wing looks surprisingly good for 50$. I'm genuinely shocked on how it looks to be far better than the 2012 despite remaining the same price.

The Tie Fighter still doesn't resonate with me, I would've rather that scaled up the wings a bit for 50$.

The Falcon is another falcon, though the Hoth Han is a nice grab.

The Tauntaun looks fantastic and the AT-AT is alright, still a great pack for minifigures.

Resistance X-Wing looks bad even for a 4+. If Lego is looking the scale down and simplify some sets, I don't see much point in there being a 4+ personally. 

The Lambda looks great with the exception of the loading ramp?? underneath the cockpit. Considering its a magazine though, its probably just down for looks and closable. 

The X-Wing was a nice surprise given how many we get and the Lambda could turn out great. Otherwise, this wave still just feels bland to me. Really hoping there's a better distributed summer wave, especially with how well the two Clone Wars based sets sold. 

6 hours ago, CF Mitch said:

The dorsal fin is too long/tall.
Glad I already have the amazing Imperial Shuttle from 2015.

Not very interested in those sets. That Tauntaun looks cute, though!

Regards,
Mitch

It doesn't look dissimilar as a model to the Shuttle Tydirium (or on price for that matter).

XWing and Tie both look splendid. Does that R2 have different printing???

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

It appears that the Han in the microfighter isn't Hoth Han after all, just brown jacket Han, which is a shame.

I can't tell. Which version do you call brown jacket Han? I can't think of a brown jacket other than his Hoth one.

Tauntaun looks cute and funny. I really like these microfighter beasties. Sadly they've probably run out of viable ones now. But a Boga and Wheel Bike microfighter dual pack would be an absolute gift.

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

I can't tell. Which version do you call brown jacket Han? I can't think of a brown jacket other than his Hoth one.

The one from Solo: A Star Wars Story. 

I have to say while I'm not crazy about the TIE, I might have to eat my words on the X-Wing...For the money it looks really good. Also with the Mandalorian set picture being blacked out I think the chances of it being from season 2 just rose considerably. If there's no beskar Mando though I might cry.