MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

14 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I honestly doubt they'd be able to make the Falcon much smaller while still retaining the modern standards for sets 

I have the same feeling. I think the last MF has the best proportions with the new angled plates and less gaps in the hull. It still has very good playability. Lego has done many versions of that MF base design, I guess it sells well enough even if the price is too high. I only miss a handle for children to play with.

On the X-Wing/TIE fighter, a smaller design would fit better with the current MF and it probably would be better for playing as well, the X-Wing is quite big in the hands of a child, so it's difficult for them to hold an X-Wing and a TIE fighter. I only wish that the designs would keep the right proportions if they change their size.

If the new XWing and TIE are made to scale with the TRoS Falcon, color me excited. I feel like that version is very easy to sub for the OT Falcon (circular dish and all), and I would love to have a couple ships scaled to match with it.

Fingers crossed for a YWing to match with them eventually, if they’re good? I’m a sucker for Ywings. Haven’t missed a system scale version of the ship since the Clone Wars version. Kinda regretting not getting the UCS, but at the time I justified it with the Rogue One version being sufficient (not to say it isn’t, I think it’s one of the best sets ever released!).

An Ahsoka fig would be awesome in the Mando set, since I don't think I'll be picking up this year's AAT

41 minutes ago, BPK2300 said:

An Ahsoka fig would be awesome in the Mando set, since I don't think I'll be picking up this year's AAT

We don't even know for sure she's in the series... at this point all I'm hoping for from that set is the season 2 variant of mando.

6 hours ago, BPK2300 said:

I would just grab the AAT if I were you. $40 really isn’t that much when considering two highly desirable figures are included. I’ve already picked up two of them and plan to get at least one more

7 hours ago, BPK2300 said:

I highly recommend AAT. You can also sell clone and AAT drivers to get some of the money back if you dont need them you can easily get 20 dollars back on those 3 figures instantly. I got 1 today,1 is coming and i will get few more vehicles only on bricklink later on. My best star wars purchase since duel on naboo in 2017.

3 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I would just grab the AAT if I were you. $40 really isn’t that much when considering two highly desirable figures are included. I’ve already picked up two of them and plan to get at least one more

Strongly seconded. You can recoup about $15 by selling the ahsoka, and if you sell the 332nd trooper too (which is what I did, I only wanted one, they're to specific of a unit for me to want to mass) you can recoup a minimum of about $38. So $2 total for a tank with it's two drivers isn't too bad!

I'll probably get more once they're easier to find.

48 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Just hope they one time will make same PT sets but without clones, don't like them

So...phantom menace sets or the airspeeder chase?

Clones are one of the most popular character designs with kids and (if this forum is any indication) adults alike, if they can put a clone in a set they will.

18 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Strongly seconded. You can recoup about $15 by selling the ahsoka, and if you sell the 332nd trooper too (which is what I did, I only wanted one, they're to specific of a unit for me to want to mass) you can recoup a minimum of about $38. So $2 total for a tank with it's two drivers isn't too bad!

I'll probably get more once they're easier to find.

Clones are one of the most popular character designs with kids and (if this forum is any indication) adults alike, if they can put a clone in a set they will.

Yeah, unfortunately it seems that way, thats the main problem I have with PT sets. Well even if they make sets from AoTC and RotS, they dont have to have 50 % of the figures clones, 10 % is more than enough.

2 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

Yeah, unfortunately it seems that way, thats the main problem I have with PT sets. Well even if they make sets from AoTC and RotS, they dont have to have 50 % of the figures clones, 10 % is more than enough.

Well this year we had both Duel on Mustafar and Anakin's Jedi Starfighter with no clones, and the AAT and Soulless One with only one clone, making the 501st battle pack the only one to have a clone majority. In 2019, besides the TPM sets, the Droid Gunship had no clones and the AT-AP only had 2 clones, again not half or a majority. Either way, I think it's unreasonable to expect minimal or no clones when they're so integral to that entire era, there's a reason it's called the Clone Wars. Not to mention with how little PT content we've been getting the past few years, I welcome the chance for more clones.

Do we think the upcoming TIE Fighter will be based on the Original trilogy or on the new canon? What do you think the odds are that we see Moff Gideon or some other Mandalorian characters?

I think I heard a rumour that the set would include three figures. 2 are likely to be a TIE Pilot and a trooper but the third could potentially be a named character. 

4 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

In the vein of @BigGuy4U, I agree it's silly to expect sets for the Clone Wars to be sans clones. I understand not liking the clones (sorta but not really), but you could always sell them off (after all most of us love the clones).

Also, we've actually haven't been getting as many clones as we once did.

13 minutes ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

Do we think the upcoming TIE Fighter will be based on the Original trilogy or on the new canon? What do you think the odds are that we see Moff Gideon or some other Mandalorian characters?

I think I heard a rumour that the set would include three figures. 2 are likely to be a TIE Pilot and a trooper but the third could potentially be a named character. 

Nobody knows yet (or at least, if anyone does, they haven't shared it) but I think it's probably a safe assumption that it would be an OT TIE.  It's being released as a companion to the X-Wing, which people have said is Red Five/includes Luke and R2-D2, and also if they're trying to scale back the sizing/pricing of the models, it would make sense to start with very recognizable and popular stuff first - X-Wing, TIE, Y-Wing, Slave I, etc, and if that's successful, use that same model going forward for more obscure stuff.  I know that the TIE isn't obscure, even if it includes Mandalorian characters, but it would make sense for them to start with the absolute basics and then branch out in the future.  

The 3 figures thing was semi-confirmed but it's also possible that it was just placeholder box art, since apparently that's what gave the indication that there were 3 figures in the first place.  There's been instances in the past where prototype/early versions of sets are shown to have more figures than they actually end up coming with.

23 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

To be honest, I don't really know what other vehicles or locations are even feasible from the PT that don't include clones beyond the ones you named.  They could remake Palpatine's arrest, a Jedi Temple could likely be done without clones but I think they'd throw one or two in, Jango's Slave I, which I do agree is due for an update (but they could also very easily throw a clone in there), I guess like Bail Organa's speeder from ROTS or Padme's shuttle from the beginning of Episode II (but at that point you're getting pretty obscure), and then Jedi Starfighters (which we already get one of every other year or so).  Basically every one of the major ships/vehicles was either operated by clones or fought against clones (so they get included for playability).  

Edited by Kit Figsto

Perhaps another ARC-170 could be good.

Some PT Star Destroyers would be nice also, anything Nubian except for the N1.

I would prefer the Genosian arena if they were going to do playsets.

There are things out there that could be done which would have appeal.

1 hour ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

We're not sure how many figures come with the TIE yet, the 3 figures rumor came from a preliminary image that we later realized was just the figures from Luke's Landspeeder.

5 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Well this year we had both Duel on Mustafar and Anakin's Jedi Starfighter with no clones, and the AAT and Soulless One with only one clone, making the 501st battle pack the only one to have a clone majority. In 2019, besides the TPM sets, the Droid Gunship had no clones and the AT-AP only had 2 clones, again not half or a majority. Either way, I think it's unreasonable to expect minimal or no clones when they're so integral to that entire era, there's a reason it's called the Clone Wars. Not to mention with how little PT content we've been getting the past few years, I welcome the chance for more clones.

Excluding droid carrier sets, lego is often stingy with massable units in their sets, which is why people rely on battlepacks to get their minifigures. Battlepacks releasing alongside these sets make one storm/ clone trooper per set acceptable because we have another source to mass them but without those packs lego needs to rethink how they are going to distribute these. Everyone wants massable armies, kids and adults alike, so a better solution than 30$ per 4 figs needs to be brainstormed.

5 minutes ago, SCREDEYE said:

Excluding droid carrier sets, lego is often stingy with massable units in their sets, which is why people rely on battlepacks to get their minifigures. Battlepacks releasing alongside these sets make one storm/ clone trooper per set acceptable because we have another source to mass them but without those packs lego needs to rethink how they are going to distribute these. Everyone wants massable armies, kids and adults alike, so a better solution than 30$ per 4 figs needs to be brainstormed.

I think Lego is aware of this, which is why I choose to believe that the lack of listed BPs is a good sign of either a potential CMF, something that fills the same niche, or simply that the BPs are summer sets next year. I've got no evidence beyond my own observations, but i think the "desirable" BPs sold well. The only BPs I remember seeing tons of cluttering selves were the Clone/ Jedi, Bounty Hunter (BPs with named characters) and the First Order BPs (Not as popular with army builders as Imperials or Clones)

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think Lego is aware of this, which is why I choose to believe that the lack of listed BPs is a good sign of either a potential CMF, something that fills the same niche, or simply that the BPs are summer sets next year. I've got no evidence beyond my own observations, but i think the "desirable" BPs sold well. The only BPs I remember seeing tons of cluttering selves were the Clone/ Jedi, Bounty Hunter (BPs with named characters) and the First Order BPs (Not as popular with army builders as Imperials or Clones)

After how difficult its been to obtain the 501st Battlepack this year, a CMF series is the last place I want to see future army builders get distributed. Its going to be a scalper's paradise hoarding all the figures for resale while the genuine collectors get left in the cold.

26 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think Lego is aware of this, which is why I choose to believe that the lack of listed BPs is a good sign of either a potential CMF, something that fills the same niche, or simply that the BPs are summer sets next year.

CMF would be the worst thing ever for star wars community,it can be cool too but in no way can replace BP,first of all some people like me love/collect only certain eras,secondly scalpers would fill out bags and sell good figures for 20 $ on bricklink or mass buy everything like they did with AAT and 501st set,thirdly there are like 2-4 same figures per box even if you get entire box you cant army build. Judging by Harry Potter cmf and dc/batman movie cmf they would most likely put main characters in every series and few random nieche ones so you would have wasted spots for rey,kylo,anakin,obi,han,leia,luke in different variants every 2 years.

6 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

CMF would be the worst thing ever for star wars community,it can be cool too but in no way can replace BP,first of all some people like me love/collect only certain eras,secondly scalpers would fill out bags and sell good figures for 20 $ on bricklink or mass buy everything like they did with AAT and 501st set,thirdly there are like 2-4 same figures per box even if you get entire box you cant army build. Judging by Harry Potter cmf and dc/batman movie cmf they would most likely put main characters in every series and few random nieche ones so you would have wasted spots for rey,kylo,anakin,obi,han,leia,luke in different variants every 2 years.

I agree that in regards to scalpers and accessibility it would be a bad move. If they did ever do one I think they'd need to commit to doing no more than 3 main characters total per a series (excluding Padme whose elaborate wardrobe could really benefit from a CMF series).

That being said I'm not suggesting a CMF series will happen only that conceptually it is a product that could fill the BP niche, albeit in a worse way for all the reasons you listed, but better in terms of CMF "limits" on printing and new molds being higher than regular sets. Just as easily they could do the Star Wars version of the city people packs, more sets like the 501st,  or something as of yet unknown. All I'm saying is I'm trying to be optimistic that if BPs are actually done, they'll probably fill their spot with something similar, where figs are the selling point. 

20 hours ago, ARC2149Nova said:

In the vein of @BigGuy4U, I agree it's silly to expect sets for the Clone Wars to be sans clones. I understand not liking the clones (sorta but not really), but you could always sell them off (after all most of us love the clones).

Also, we've actually haven't been getting as many clones as we once did.

No, I wouldn't say I don't expect, on the contrary I do expect lego to have many sets con clones. Very few unpopular decisions (according to me) that lego makes it's not something that suprises me, I've learn my TLG by now, but still, the heart doesn't like what it doesn't like. And more clones of course lead to less of other figures (that is by the end of the day my main concern, if we got twice or triple the amount of figures in each set, having two clones per set would of course not bother me the same)

Yeah, it's probably good I started collecting in 2014 instead of during the CW series era. 

I have to say, as much as I try to avoid being negative, this new direction is a serious bummer. I was really appreciating the new techniques and more realistic looking designs of the past few years. Comparing the 2016 Y-Wing for instance, to the 2007 version with 200ish fewer parts and the difference is quite noticable. I wouldn't buy the 2007 version today knowing that Lego is capable of producing far better designs.

2 hours ago, Bardan_Jusik said:

I have to say, as much as I try to avoid being negative, this new direction is a serious bummer. I was really appreciating the new techniques and more realistic looking designs of the past few years. Comparing the 2016 Y-Wing for instance, to the 2007 version with 200ish fewer parts and the difference is quite noticable. I wouldn't buy the 2007 version today knowing that Lego is capable of producing far better designs.

But the y-wing was only $60, a respectable price for a starfighter/bomber. Compare that to x-wings and ties now routinely going for $80-90, and it makes sense that they might want to find ways to make them at lower prices.

the thing is the "newer" and more expensive sets are not more accurate. The ressistance X-Wing for example should be smaller and much more compact. Instead it always reused the same design as the OT X-Wing. The T-Fighter for Solo was absurdly complex but non of the design choices make any sense. Colour and shape of many parts were still wrong - they had a slightly smaller base design, which was used for the Rebels T-Prototype and Vader's Tie. There was no reason to change it. It looked worse and used more parts.