makoy

[REVIEW] 75290 Mos Eisley Cantina

The Star Wars forum poll is broken...   

3 members have voted

1. 1. So please tell us what score you will give this set (1 lowest, 5 being the highest)

• Comment below instead...
    • ... Thanks!

28 minutes ago, legolandia said:

I thought everyone that buys between 16-19 of September gets a GWP dont they?? Have I misunderstood?

I think it was just while supplies last.  I know that the physical stores apparently only got a limited number and once they were out, they're out.  At least, that's what the associate at my store told me.

Just now, Kit Figsto said:

I think it was just while supplies last.  I know that the physical stores apparently only got a limited number and once they were out, they're out.  At least, that's what the associate at my store told me.

Ah right. I'll wait to see if the saber is included in the box when the set is delivered. If not then the set shall be going back straight away and i will wait for the next offer.

1 hour ago, legolandia said:

I thought everyone that buys between 16-19 of September gets a GWP dont they?? Have I misunderstood?

While stocks last*

What a superb review, thank you!  I'm particularly impressed with your photography and all the work you put into creating each shot, from organizing the parts for each build step to the detailed Minfig shots.  

We really get a good and accurate sense now of what we are getting with his set!

2 hours ago, legolandia said:

Ah right. I'll wait to see if the saber is included in the box when the set is delivered. If not then the set shall be going back straight away and i will wait for the next offer.

No need to wait for it to be delivered.  Look at the order in your Lego account.  If the light saber isn't listed as part of the order, it won't be in the shipment you receive.

So the stickers in my cantina are significantly off center, to the point that for a sticker like the droid detector with a solid background color and centered detail, I need to line the sticker up with the very edge of the piece to make the center detail almost appear centered (if that makes sense). I've had plenty of stickers that weren't perfect, but this may take the cake, especially when I spent $350. I can deal with most of the stickers, but that cantina sign is gonna bug me.

Awesome reviewing work. I have really enjoyed reading this reviewing coverage and you have covered it very extensively. This set is simply a hallmark of the Star Wars OT on one of the most iconic setting. I have always enjoyed seeing building and playset being combined together. This is simply a very accurately designed built which definitely should appeal to most fans. My only grip is the expensive price tag and the amount of piece count, where I compare with the recent release of Diagon Alley (which is much value for money). 

Makoy, thanks for sharing. :sweet: 

2 hours ago, Archer said:

So the stickers in my cantina are significantly off center, to the point that for a sticker like the droid detector with a solid background color and centered detail, I need to line the sticker up with the very edge of the piece to make the center detail almost appear centered (if that makes sense). I've had plenty of stickers that weren't perfect, but this may take the cake, especially when I spent $350. I can deal with most of the stickers, but that cantina sign is gonna bug me.

If this is the case with mine, I’ll be contacting Lego for a replacement sticker sheet.

2 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

My only grip is the expensive price tag and the amount of piece count, where I compare with the recent release of Diagon Alley (which is much value for money). 

I suppose Harry Potter theme doesnt carry the same premium in the price as Star Wars does.

My gripe is with the fact that Lego introduce an offer of a free lightsaber if you buy early and make so few lightsabers that they go within the hour. These kind of marketing ploys are what puts me off a brand.

49 minutes ago, legolandia said:

I suppose Harry Potter theme doesnt carry the same premium in the price as Star Wars does.

My gripe is with the fact that Lego introduce an offer of a free lightsaber if you buy early and make so few lightsabers that they go within the hour. These kind of marketing ploys are what puts me off a brand.

You are probably right that the royalties on SW could be on the higher end. I didn’t know the free lightsabers were snapped up like in moments. That is a disaster. 

7 hours ago, Friscorays said:

No need to wait for it to be delivered.  Look at the order in your Lego account.  If the light saber isn't listed as part of the order, it won't be in the shipment you receive.

This. If it is not in the order, you haven't got one. Better to cancel the order now than have to deal with receiving then arranging a return. Then wait for a new offer - the next double points, general promo at Christmas or next year's May 4th. If you can wait that long!

10 minutes ago, WhiteFang said:

I didn’t know the free lightsabers were snapped up like in moments. That is a disaster. 

Indeed, very much so. Considering that Lego has limited the number of purchases of this set to two per person I can only assume that the free lightsaber sets were very limited in numbers. Unless, the speculators are using sophisticated bots to place multiple orders. Either way it is bad news for the regular collector.

4 minutes ago, MAB said:

This. If it is not in the order, you haven't got one. Better to cancel the order now than have to deal with receiving then arranging a return. Then wait for a new offer - the next double points, general promo at Christmas or next year's May 4th. If you can wait that long!

It sounds like that is the best thing to do. Definitely can wait until next year if needs be. The points don't interest me anymore now that they are worthless (I mean, they have no monetary value but all you get is the cr**py offers instead).

16 minutes ago, legolandia said:

The points don't interest me anymore now that they are worthless (I mean, they have no monetary value but all you get is the cr**py offers instead).

They still have the same value as before. £5 voucher per £100 spent.

20 hours ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

Cool review thanks! I think I've made up my mind and will get it for myself.

I received an email from Lego saying VIPs could now order the set and get Yoda's light saber as a GWP. However when I add the cantina to my bag, the saber is nowhere to be found? Is it normal?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the review :-p

ahhh... more about that below. See, it wasn't offered for the "VIP" here also. Not even sure if it is going to be offered. I got a bad feeling about this.

20 hours ago, legolandia said:

Thank you very much for the review. Well detailed and the pictures are brilliant. 5/5 I agree that this set is a must have at least for the hardcore collectors. And it is surprisingly well priced, especially considering the large number of the minifigures. I admit that I feared it would be above the £350 mark. Pleasantly surprised. I've gone ahead and bought this set. The free lightsaber set is a bonus as well.

In the UK that word is a slang for sperm. *oh2**oh2*:innocent2:

Yup.... I looked it up.

16 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

This set is amazig! :wub_drool:

I like it for its breadth and completeness, as I like the Cloud City set! :excited:

Great review! :thumbup:

Thanks!

11 hours ago, lenzie said:

What a superb review, thank you!  I'm particularly impressed with your photography and all the work you put into creating each shot, from organizing the parts for each build step to the detailed Minfig shots.  

We really get a good and accurate sense now of what we are getting with his set!

The organising part made me dizzy arranging all the tan and dark tan parts. If I have skipped that processed, I could have posted the review at least a day earlier.

But I don't regret the results. :)

8 hours ago, Archer said:

This is why I always contemplate putting stickers, so that I don't have to undergo this trial. :tongue:

6 hours ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

If this is the case with mine, I’ll be contacting Lego for a replacement sticker sheet.

Can you actually do this, if you messed up the stickers?

6 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

Awesome reviewing work. I have really enjoyed reading this reviewing coverage and you have covered it very extensively. This set is simply a hallmark of the Star Wars OT on one of the most iconic setting. I have always enjoyed seeing building and playset being combined together. This is simply a very accurately designed built which definitely should appeal to most fans. My only grip is the expensive price tag and the amount of piece count, where I compare with the recent release of Diagon Alley (which is much value for money). 

Makoy, thanks for sharing. :sweet: 

Welcome buddy.

As you mentioned about the price - I reviewed this based on the US/EU/UK pricing. When I consider our local pricing in the region... I am stumped even more. The premium added outside US/EU/UK pricing is really leaning more on the ridiculous level, that I find the Harry Potter offerings really better in comparison even if they are both licensed products. I guess, there is always time for discount, if that continues.

4 hours ago, legolandia said:

At least they offered in that side of the world. As I have mentioned in the 2020 SW sets discussion... that GWP Lightsaber is not even offered to early birds or VIPs -- at least where I buy my LEGO sets. It is an icing on a very good cake, but I do feel how other people might feel upset about it.

Just play the Cantina and you'll forget about it. :)

Fantastic review! Thank you so much. Really can’t wait for this. 

I already have Yoda’s lightsaber hilt. In fact I have the whole lightsaber. And it even included a buildable Yoda. (See set 75255 ?)

7 hours ago, legolandia said:

The points don't interest me anymore now that they are worthless (I mean, they have no monetary value but all you get is the cr**py offers instead).

Well, there's many cool sets you can redeem with VIP points ?

30 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Well, there's many cool sets you can redeem with VIP points ?

honestly this is one of the worst loyalty program i've ever seen, the return rate is extremely low during the year (except with double points), but otherwise 2625 points for 350 euros, it's an incredibly expensive ratio considering that you need 3,000 points to get 20 euros off

they should offer at least something of every purchase above a certain amount...

that's why i almost never buy direct from lego.com, i'm waiting for retailers to offer stuff like get the second item for xx% off

44 minutes ago, macaron35 said:

honestly this is one of the worst loyalty program i've ever seen, the return rate is extremely low during the year (except with double points), but otherwise 2625 points for 350 euros, it's an incredibly expensive ratio considering that you need 3,000 points to get 20 euros off

they should offer at least something of every purchase above a certain amount...

that's why i almost never buy direct from lego.com, i'm waiting for retailers to offer stuff like get the second item for xx% off

Most of sets I want never goes on sale... so I missed some of them...

Now I know not to wait.

Edited by JintaiZ

Great review! This looks like an amazing set, but I wish it was cheaper - $350 for 3100 pieces is a bit much. I would definitely buy it at $300-$325, though. I'll probably save up and wait for a discount to get it...

I also have a question regarding the dimensions of this set. Namely, what are its dimensions when the cantina is "closed up"? All the measurements I've seen so far (height, width, depth, etc.) were for its "opened up" form.

15 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Most of sets I want never goes on sale... so I missed some of them...

Now I know not to wait.

I have waited for a year to get the Millenium Falcon and finally i got it for a good price, there was a small discount, but compared to its price, it was a good deal, so i never rush on new sets immediately and pay full price

11 minutes ago, macaron35 said:

I have waited for a year to get the Millenium Falcon and finally i got it for a good price, there was a small discount, but compared to its price, it was a good deal, so i never rush on new sets immediately and pay full price

Well, I always wanted the Snowspeeder at a discount but now it's retired and prices has gone up...