makoy

[REVIEW] 75290 Mos Eisley Cantina

The Star Wars forum poll is broken...   

3 members have voted

1. 1. So please tell us what score you will give this set (1 lowest, 5 being the highest)

• Comment below instead...
    • ... Thanks!

Hi, I don't see an image showing the printed BOX 2x2 with the word CARGO in Aurebesh

Edited by OscarWRG
complete the idea

Great review.

One question: Is the devil the normal red or is this a new tone? Looks a little bit orange, to me

8 hours ago, makoy said:

Ahh... indeed. Ewok Village. It was a great set. I am not going to call Cloud City 'awful', but the location itself is not particularly friendly for display. I mean, it is basically a circular dish platter. How can it look any better? 

But then compared to Hoth...

Thank you for this very detailed review!
I'll definitely be getting this set, it's so amazing! :wub: 
The only gripe I can think of is the lack of the Talz you mentioned.

Regards,
Mitch

Thank you for the insightful review, Makoy! It seems to me that this set is actually much better than it appears. In the 2020 sets discussion I panned it, saying the only draw is the figures - but I don't think that's quite true anymore (though having Kabe means that building a faithful Nar Shaddaa pazaak den is now in the cards :roflmao:)

The change from trans-clear to black on the Ubrikkian speeder makes a small but substantial improvement to the appearance of the model, and I love the inclusion of the V-35.

Gotta love the vaporators - make me think back to when I was a kid, playing with the 7101 Lightsaber Duel - a real classic. Of course they're much more detailed these days! Actually I think I am most excited about the junk shop & vaporators rather than the cantina proper and it makes me wish we had more of these secondary locations included in sets.

Thank you again for the review and high-quality photos!

As someone who's avoided buying licensed LEGO recently in favor of their original themes, all I can say regarding this well-done review is that...guess I'm buying a licensed set again. As someone who used to get a ton of Star Wars LEGO when I was younger, this set is very much the bee's knees in terms of what I'm looking for. Not a vehicle that's been remade dozens of times (as you said in your review regarding Luke's landspeeder), but a full-scale location set that actually honors the original layout, with a wonderful array of alien figs. I can absolutely see lucky kids using this as a backdrop for any number of adventures with characters from some of the other movies. They really outdid themselves here design-wise.

12 hours ago, Tariq j said:

Excellent review Makoy! I think this is everything we could ask for in a MBS set. A good line up of figures and a good main build with some interesting side builds. Hopefully this sets a new precedent for future MBS builds.

Indeed. Hope we see more of this formula in future MBS sets

11 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Fantastic review! Thanks!

Thank you too and welcome. 

10 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Thank you for this review!  I was pretty sure I would get the set but I wanted to see a review first.  

I love the build, but there are a few slightly disappointing things with the figures.  The lack arm printing on Greedo is something that I agree is needed, and not including a hair piece for Ben is a bit annoying as well.  The selection I think is mostly okay, Snaggletooth and BoShek I think are two that I would've definitely wanted, and perhaps the Duros as well (especially since they've already done 2-3 Duros characters in the past and they don't need any new mold), but I don't think there's any figures that I would most definitely want to remove.

The size/value for money seems good, it seems quite a bit bigger than Cloud City which I felt was worth the price, and I might pick it up early then re-sell the Yoda saber to make a bit of money back.

I think I complained about the old figures that it seemed the 7 brand new minifigures aren't that good. I really think TLG is holding back on minifigure design and 'value' to get gain better margins. Better for them, but clearly not for fans. The great thing about Cloud City is the inclusion of all side prints and dual moulds that is very much absent in this MBS Mos Eisley Cantina. But I guess, we can't have it all at once. Regardless, tremendous value -- but it could been very close to perfect if there more new alien/named character minifigures or with these side print and/or dual moulds. 

10 hours ago, OscarWRG said:

Hi, I don't see an image showing the printed BOX 2x2 with the word CARGO in Aurebesh

It's mixed with the rest of the parts, and I was really disappointed to get 3 of this printed part rather than having printed droid detector so I almost ignored. Anyway, please return here later when I'm doing taking extra photos. I'll add this. :)

10 hours ago, Macropus said:

Great review.

One question: Is the devil the normal red or is this a new tone? Looks a little bit orange, to me

It looks orange because it is dark orange - the same colour as the Resistance Pilot Jumpsuit

7 hours ago, Pate-keetongu said:

Excellent, well-written review.

Thank you!

7 hours ago, CF Mitch said:

Thank you for this very detailed review!
I'll definitely be getting this set, it's so amazing! :wub: 
The only gripe I can think of is the lack of the Talz you mentioned.

Regards,
Mitch

Yes... Talz specie. Problem with the existing Talz head mould is that they put that grey fin/armour on top of its head, which is specific to Thi-sen (the Talz chieftain during Clone Wars) even though not all Talz would have that affixed on their head. That's probably the reason why we are not getting any Talz lately.

Here's your cargo box @OscarWRG

50347054333_40487c8d38_o.jpg

6 hours ago, jimmynick said:

Thank you for the insightful review, Makoy! It seems to me that this set is actually much better than it appears. In the 2020 sets discussion I panned it, saying the only draw is the figures - but I don't think that's quite true anymore (though having Kabe means that building a faithful Nar Shaddaa pazaak den is now in the cards :roflmao:)

The change from trans-clear to black on the Ubrikkian speeder makes a small but substantial improvement to the appearance of the model, and I love the inclusion of the V-35.

Gotta love the vaporators - make me think back to when I was a kid, playing with the 7101 Lightsaber Duel - a real classic. Of course they're much more detailed these days! Actually I think I am most excited about the junk shop & vaporators rather than the cantina proper and it makes me wish we had more of these secondary locations included in sets.

Thank you again for the review and high-quality photos!

You're welcome. I really enjoy the review process ... it's very therapeutic for me.

It's great you're excited about the side builds. I really hope we do get other side builds that will augment this great MBS set.

6 hours ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

Fantastic review! I'm looking forward to adding this to my collection. Not much longer now!

Yes, right about now. As per announcement, it is available to VIPs starting 16 September and 1 October for the rest of the public.

4 hours ago, Mr Maniac said:

As someone who's avoided buying licensed LEGO recently in favor of their original themes, all I can say regarding this well-done review is that...guess I'm buying a licensed set again. As someone who used to get a ton of Star Wars LEGO when I was younger, this set is very much the bee's knees in terms of what I'm looking for. Not a vehicle that's been remade dozens of times (as you said in your review regarding Luke's landspeeder), but a full-scale location set that actually honors the original layout, with a wonderful array of alien figs. I can absolutely see lucky kids using this as a backdrop for any number of adventures with characters from some of the other movies. They really outdid themselves here design-wise.

I feel happy for you that you feel this way. I am sure this is one of the reason why TLG is making this set, in order to recapture that elusive experience when we were kids.

4 hours ago, Omand said:

Thank for providing an excellent review!

You're welcome!

To all,

I have updated the review to add this top view

50347905692_c02c7a8211_b.jpg

Click below link to zoom in --

https://www.flickr.com/gp/80720650@N02/1U2412

edit: I just realised, this is as long as the ISD (2019) because that set measures 110cm in length... this set is also 110cm in length in this configuration!

Finally, who is this set for?

Me, me, me!! I absolutely love this set. It depicts one of the most iconic scenes in the Saga. This set somewhat reminds me of the Ewok Village set. I will definitely get this set, and like the Ewok village, I will probably store it for when the time is right to build it :sweet:

Thanks for the wonderful review! Very comprehensive with much attention for the minifigs.

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Finally, who is this set for?

Me, me, me!! I absolutely love this set. It depicts one of the most iconic scenes in the Saga. This set somewhat reminds me of the Ewok Village set. I will definitely get this set, and like the Ewok village, I will probably store it for when the time is right to build it :sweet:

Thanks for the wonderful review! Very comprehensive with much attention for the minifigs.

The Ewok Village was also cited a few posts back. Hope to have more inspiring design for Star Wars MBS in years to come.

Thanks Jim, and always welcome.

Cool review thanks! I think I've made up my mind and will get it for myself.

I received an email from Lego saying VIPs could now order the set and get Yoda's light saber as a GWP. However when I add the cantina to my bag, the saber is nowhere to be found? Is it normal?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the review :-p

Thank you very much for the review. Well detailed and the pictures are brilliant. 5/5 I agree that this set is a must have at least for the hardcore collectors. And it is surprisingly well priced, especially considering the large number of the minifigures. I admit that I feared it would be above the £350 mark. Pleasantly surprised. I've gone ahead and bought this set. The free lightsaber set is a bonus as well.

On 9/15/2020 at 4:50 AM, makoy said:

It’s called Jizz. Yup, not jazz. It’s called jizz.

In the UK that word is a slang for sperm. *oh2**oh2*:innocent2:

Edited by legolandia

51 minutes ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

Cool review thanks! I think I've made up my mind and will get it for myself.

I received an email from Lego saying VIPs could now order the set and get Yoda's light saber as a GWP. However when I add the cantina to my bag, the saber is nowhere to be found? Is it normal?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the review :-p

It sold out in under an hour.

26 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

It sold out in under an hour.

I was coming to check on that as well.  That is very disappointing to hear, guess I should have tried ordering it last night.

Anyone still looking for the GWP, if you happen to live near a brand store, it's worth calling and seeing if they have it.  Mine still had a handful and no signs of anyone else looking to come buy it late this morning.  Thought I was out of luck after I missed it online, but I still managed to get one.  I'd guess after today there's probably not going to be any more outside of 3rd party sellers, though.

33 minutes ago, legolandia said:

Are we talking about the set? And in US?

It is still available in the UK.

The Cantina is still available. The Yoda's Lightsaber GWP (gift with purchase) sold out almost immediately. In the U.S. From what I read it sold out in the UK very quickly as well.

9 minutes ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

The cantina's actually shown as out of stock in the U.S. for a few hours now. Can't believe the GWP went so quickly!

That wasn't unexpected...

13 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

This set is amazig! :wub_drool:

Though your wallet disagrees...

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The Cantina is still available. The Yoda's Lightsaber GWP (gift with purchase) sold out almost immediately. In the U.S. From what I read it sold out in the UK very quickly as well.

I thought everyone that buys between 16-19 of September gets a GWP dont they?? Have I misunderstood?