Sign in to follow this  
CP5670

[MOC] BT-33 Cobra

Great build! I really like the legs.

Edited by JintaiZ

Never ceases to amuse me when someone has a gormless-looking smiley-faced minifig at the helm of a deadly and powerful ship, and this is no exception. Nice job incorporating the little printed arrow tiles, and that cockpit is a beauty to behold. The whole ship looks a bit like a scorpion, with the two lower prongs representing claws while the top one looks like a stinger. All around, excellent work, looking smooth but not to the same extent that other ships do, with those cockpit parts lending some nice old-fashioned bricky goodness and bulbousness. Does the landing gear fold up?

Edited by Mr Maniac

Very nice build CP5670, especially the triangle-base geometry is something that you do not see everyday. It gives a very aggressive look :) I will have to try this in my next space-related build.

BR

lech

That's a great ship!  Plenty of detailing without losing the classic Blacktron feel.  I like the usage of the white animal tails at the back of the upper pylon, and the 2x2 trans neon green tile at the bottom of the cockpit to aid in the aesthetics there; that's something the original sets could have used rather than just showing the exposed hinge.

15 hours ago, Mr Maniac said:

Never ceases to amuse me when someone has a gormless-looking smiley-faced minifig at the helm of a deadly and powerful ship, and this is no exception.

:iamded_lol:  Same.  I love it!

Thanks everyone! The shape is actually based on an old Blacktron II moc I made many years ago, but much smaller and with modern parts and detailing.

18 hours ago, Mr Maniac said:

Never ceases to amuse me when someone has a gormless-looking smiley-faced minifig at the helm of a deadly and powerful ship, and this is no exception. Nice job incorporating the little printed arrow tiles, and that cockpit is a beauty to behold. The whole ship looks a bit like a scorpion, with the two lower prongs representing claws while the top one looks like a stinger. All around, excellent work, looking smooth but not to the same extent that other ships do, with those cockpit parts lending some nice old-fashioned bricky goodness and bulbousness. Does the landing gear fold up?

Good point, the Blacktron II guys always looked a little too nice and friendly for the evil-doers they were. :laugh:I find that an edgy and angular look goes well with Blacktron, both I and II. The octagon panels and bubble cockpits were iconic of Blacktron II, so I always like to have them in mocs like this, and modern parts let you include more details in that space. And yes, the landing gear can fold inward when you swoosh it around.

13 hours ago, lech said:

Very nice build CP5670, especially the triangle-base geometry is something that you do not see everyday. It gives a very aggressive look :) I will have to try this in my next space-related build.

I used the click hinge joints (from e.g. exo-force), which have the right angles to make this work. I like to spread out models in 3 dimensions when possible, which the old Blacktron II sets also did to some extent.

2 hours ago, deraven said:

That's a great ship!  Plenty of detailing without losing the classic Blacktron feel.  I like the usage of the white animal tails at the back of the upper pylon, and the 2x2 trans neon green tile at the bottom of the cockpit to aid in the aesthetics there; that's something the original sets could have used rather than just showing the exposed hinge.

I wish those 2x2 tiles were easier to come by. It's a non-production part that I only have one of. I used a few other parts like that in this model, like the small antennas and spears on the minifig jetpack.

Saw this on the front page and said to myself "Oh I know who that guy is!" 

Nice job man, glad to see you're still building!

Amazing merger of Old and New, further reinforcing my wish to see Blacktron theme resurrected.

On 9/17/2020 at 11:18 AM, TheBeeze said:

Saw this on the front page and said to myself "Oh I know who that guy is!" 

Nice job man, glad to see you're still building!

I've been getting back into it this year due to the pandemic, Lego is one of the best activities for these times. :classic:

On 9/17/2020 at 4:28 PM, Immo said:

Amazing merger of Old and New, further reinforcing my wish to see Blacktron theme resurrected.

Thanks! I would be happy if we just got those old color schemes again somewhere, like the black/white with trans-neon green. It's what made these themes so memorable to me.

22 hours ago, forense said:

Great! it resembles a TIE Phantom with BlackTron II steroids :D

Good point! The tri-wing shape has appeared in quite a few Star Wars ships, the TIE defender and droid fighter are a bit like it too.