MAG85

75292 The Razor Crest – MODs and improvements

These aren't mine but they were posted to reddit by u/TrikBrix and I wanted to share them here. I was particularly impressed with the engines.

26itqd31gjs51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

ucqz7e31gjs51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

yyu9jf31gjs51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Good find and thanks for posting here.  Very snot - I like the Master Wu engine hubs - might borrow that idea.  Landing gear looks good and the thicker and wider smooth wings work well.  I'd be tempted to tidy the rear engine given the rest of the look but its looking great overall.   

Edited by Hold0511

Just an idea, some one could use the piece 2958pb081 from the passenger airplane city set for the engines

10 minutes ago, at_8829 said:

Just an idea, some one could use the piece 2958pb081 from the passenger airplane city set for the engines

Good shout.  Sadly non available in my country - I looked at the similar version from the first ARC170 but being red it does not really work.  

2 hours ago, MAG85 said:

I had the same idea. The parts arrived this weekend. I will post a picture soon...

Cool, can't wait !!!!

25 minutes ago, MAG85 said:

Here it is...

50460949058_a0e998f2b1_z.jpgTRC_11, on Flickr

Might look better without the 2 x 2 dome and the 3 x 3 curved slopes from poe's x wing (2020)

15 hours ago, at_8829 said:

Might look better without the 2 x 2 dome and the 3 x 3 curved slopes from poe's x wing (2020)

I tried this a while ago. It looks okay, but in relation to the ship, the engines looks smaller. That's why I left it original. Maybe you can swap the element (4211637) in the middle for a smaller one.

5 hours ago, Mattnutt said:

Raised the wings a plate.Tiled as much as possible.Used 2x2 jumper to enlarge engines .Ignore the other engine still waiting on more inverted 2x2 inverted slopes .Sorry for crappy pics.Not sure how to load bigger ones

Yes, it's difficult to see your engine MOD. Maybe you can upload the pics in flickr.com and than share with a resolution by max. 800x600.

Played around with the engines a little more, also cleaned up the back of the nacelles and added some landing gear and tiles underneath.  I'm going to see if I can find a decent Blurg moc before I mess about with the insides more.

thumbnail_img_0137.jpg

thumbnail_img_0138.jpg

thumbnail_img_0140.jpg

Post the pics I fixed the left engine droop and shortened the guns.   

Edited by Hold0511

Here's some quick mods to the cockpit... Gotta have that little shift lever :).

Edited by Pandora
Removed attachment as requested

I’ve been working on my own improvements, I haven’t built them for real yet (my kids are getting me the set for Christmas!) and haven’t tackled the interior but the exterior is all done. In summary, the nose area is all new, so are the engine intakes, the engine exhaust is a bit longer and shapelier, I’ve swapped some dark grey for light, moved the guns up by one stud, filled lots of gaps and tinkered with the landing gear so it folds away.

1920x1440.jpg

1920x1440.jpgI’ve avoided messing with the structure so the modifications should be very easy to do. I’ve also put together some instructions, broken down into chunks for each modified area. Hope they’re of use to someone :)

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-55814/ron_mcphatty/razor-crest-set-75292-mod

Edited by mcphatty

@mcphatty Thanks for sharing the instruction und the studio model. This was a lot of work.

Two things I noticed: You can't open the side panels any more and I think the runners do not hold the weight from the razor crest.

@MAG85 I haven’t been able to test it for real yet but I think the panels will open to about 80 degrees (where 90 is straight out to the sides), but the ship will need to be held for this. I did try connecting some runners to technic plates which pushed against the sides of bricks, similar to my mod, and the one runner held quite a few books before it broke off so I’m fairly confident it will work, but I guess I’ll have to wait until someone tries it for real to know for sure :)

@macaron35 thanks very much! I’m good at talking about interior mods and bad at following through, I’ll do my best to actually try this one... at some point haha

I think I'm just about finished with my Razor Crest for now. The last thing I need to do is the landing gear. 

50583614196_e38a6dc3b3_k.jpg

I have slimmed the front end down as showed before and completely reworked the top and rear. You will also notice that I built up the forward intake area of the engines slightly different than in the instructions. I squished the construction down a little to reduce how far forward the engines push out and to bulk them up a bit. There are also some slight modifications to the blasters to shorten them and add detail. 

50583613391_ef07b2812a_k.jpg

I looked at the feasibility of widening the cockpit interior to allow for two rear seats side-by-side but couldn't find a simple solution that didn't require a full rebuild. 

50583733932_ee648f5af8_k.jpg

For the forward interior, I have left out the wall that should exist between the bunk and the lavatory area so that you can access all the play features from one side and it allows for the weapon locker which was a key feature I wanted to include.

50583613251_d8b7a5acfa_k.jpg

In the rear cargo area I have included the mini carbon freezing chamber. 

50583732367_a395276b8c_k.jpg

50583613006_2709b4f842_k.jpg

Great to see all those creative mods. This really brings the best out of the AFOL community.

Im quite fine with my own Crest -
The only thing I didnt see and cannt do myself so far, are propper mods for bigger engines - I have the EP IV escape pod with the bigger dome pieces but I would need 6 of them not four. Really sad I think the engines are just a few ticks too small.

I am considering to build bigger ones with small pieces - like the Apollo V rocket.

2 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Great to see all those creative mods. This really brings the best out of the AFOL community.

Im quite fine with my own Crest -
The only thing I didnt see and cannt do myself so far, are propper mods for bigger engines - I have the EP IV escape pod with the bigger dome pieces but I would need 6 of them not four. Really sad I think the engines are just a few ticks too small.

I am considering to build bigger ones with small pieces - like the Apollo V rocket.

Agreed on the engines, they are a tad small. I think the ones from u/TrikBrix on Reddit (top of this page) look fantastic, but you do pretty much need all new pieces. 

Great mods all, keep it up. it was your posts that inspired me to try.

Modified the cannons to look more like show, added in plate pieces to various areas, changed engine front, added slopes at engine top of wings, modified landing gear so it folds in like fighter jet, added in tiles to underside to add detail and shaping at wing area, closed gap at tail section.

Check out my photos let me know thoughts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190971898@N05/shares/ANLDs5 

Few more tweaks - I love seeing other peoples mods and their ideas which I can apply to mine - some great ships being built out there.

img_0144.jpg

Played around with the cockpit - I can get two seated, one standing and squeeze the Child in on the side.

img_0147.jpg

Going tor the well used patina in series 2, lots of different panels but the tan looking ones are actually silver just the shoddy light and pic.

img_0151.jpg

The Blurg is a tight fit though - need to sort out those technic supports - flattening the legs just about gets him in there with the two carbonite slabs.

img_0160.jpg

Edited by Hold0511

I think I'm finally done moding my crest. Some are my own mods and others are from ones I've seen. Feel free to take credit if one of the mods is yours. :)