MAG85

75292 The Razor Crest – MODs and improvements

On 11/9/2020 at 9:50 AM, Project Inkfish said:

I think I'm just about finished with my Razor Crest for now. The last thing I need to do is the landing gear. 

50583614196_e38a6dc3b3_k.jpg

I have slimmed the front end down as showed before and completely reworked the top and rear. You will also notice that I built up the forward intake area of the engines slightly different than in the instructions. I squished the construction down a little to reduce how far forward the engines push out and to bulk them up a bit. There are also some slight modifications to the blasters to shorten them and add detail. 

50583613391_ef07b2812a_k.jpg

I looked at the feasibility of widening the cockpit interior to allow for two rear seats side-by-side but couldn't find a simple solution that didn't require a full rebuild. 

50583733932_ee648f5af8_k.jpg

For the forward interior, I have left out the wall that should exist between the bunk and the lavatory area so that you can access all the play features from one side and it allows for the weapon locker which was a key feature I wanted to include.

50583613251_d8b7a5acfa_k.jpg

In the rear cargo area I have included the mini carbon freezing chamber. 

50583732367_a395276b8c_k.jpg

50583613006_2709b4f842_k.jpg

You can take a look at my cockpit mod to see how I did the two rear seats. :)

I lied. Haha I decided to remove the.       escape pod and go with a more flush design. I also tiled off more of the top.  Criticism is welcome. :)

Edited by Zer0100ne

I like the smoother top mod but I do want to keep the escape pod, I wonder if there is a happy medium of the two? Might have to copy your little hologram - forgot all about that and its a nice touch.

1 hour ago, Hold0511 said:

I like the smoother top mod but I do want to keep the escape pod, I wonder if there is a happy medium of the two? Might have to copy your little hologram - forgot all about that and its a nice touch.

Copy away! I know I've copied stuff. Lol You can probably drop the escape pod a couple studs but you'd have to take apart a good portion of the top and get fancy the some technic pieces. I thought abt doin it but didn't feel like pulling it all apart again. ?

So I was inspired by many of the other mods that people have shared on this forum so I thought I would share what I consider my 95% finished mod of the Razor Crest. I immediately knew I had to work on the engines and those came rather easily thanks to the pieces from poe's x-wing. The rear exhaust part was a little more difficult but I liked where I landed as it kind of feels like a tribute to the technique used for the original front and it recycled many of the same pieces. (I built the engines in Stud.io before ordering the new pieces I would need.) The rest like narrowing out the front and some other interior details I borrowed from peoples pictures on here with the occasional one from instagram. Just when I thought I was happy with it I saw a few things @Project Inkfish did in his pictures and spent another good while fixing the rear and adding the carbon freezing chamber. 

PXL_20201118_154433214

PXL_20201118_154457713

PXL_20201118_154519533

The landing gear was the last thing that I wanted to tackle and I had a difficult time knowing what to do as I still wanted the side panels to be accessible and I didnt want to modify too much of the main build. I ended up making it so the gear are easily removable and the crest rests on some inverted slopes for when myself and my little boys are playing with it. I simply reattach it when I want to display it. 

PXL_20201118_154612485PXL_20201118_154642888PXL_20201118_154925129

The cockpit and the interior I tried to add detail without making it overly complicated or busy. I feel like a balance between detail and simplicity is what I try to aim for. (while still being functionally strong and playable.) 

*one thing I wanted to mention and it's visible especially in the last picture is that there are 2 light gray cheese wedges / slopes that are a illegal connection (with the help of a dab of glue :snicker:) I just felt like it helped complete the front slope and look and went for it, definitely something I normally avoid at all cost. but oh well. 

Well I hope you guys like it and maybe it can help someone else in their pursuit to mod to their style, taste or like. Thanks again to all those who shared their creations and the inspiration it provides. This kind of moding and customizing is my favorite.

Edited by Jeffersc

7 hours ago, Jeffersc said:

So I was inspired by many of the other mods that people have shared on this forum so I thought I would share what I consider my 95% finished mod of the Razor Crest. I immediately knew I had to work on the engines and those came rather easily thanks to the pieces from poe's x-wing. The rear exhaust part was a little more difficult but I liked where I landed as it kind of feels like a tribute to the technique used for the original front and it recycled many of the same pieces. (I built the engines in Stud.io before ordering the new pieces I would need.) The rest like narrowing out the front and some other interior details I borrowed from peoples pictures on here with the occasional one from instagram. Just when I thought I was happy with it I saw a few things @Project Inkfish did in his pictures and spent another good while fixing the rear and adding the carbon freezing chamber. 

PXL_20201118_154433214

PXL_20201118_154457713

PXL_20201118_154519533

The landing gear was the last thing that I wanted to tackle and I had a difficult time knowing what to do as I still wanted the side panels to be accessible and I didnt want to modify too much of the main build. I ended up making it so the gear are easily removable and the crest rests on some inverted slopes for when myself and my little boys are playing with it. I simply reattach it when I want to display it. 

PXL_20201118_154612485PXL_20201118_154642888PXL_20201118_154925129

The cockpit and the interior I tried to add detail without making it overly complicated or busy. I feel like a balance between detail and simplicity is what I try to aim for. (while still being functionally strong and playable.) 

*one thing I wanted to mention and it's visible especially in the last picture is that there are 2 light gray cheese wedges / slopes that are a illegal connection (with the help of a dab of glue :snicker:) I just felt like it helped complete the front slope and look and went for it, definitely something I normally avoid at all cost. but oh well. 

Well I hope you guys like it and maybe it can help someone else in their pursuit to mod to their style, taste or like. Thanks again to all those who shared their creations and the inspiration it provides. This kind of moding and customizing is my favorite.

This looks utterly amazing and is a great culmination of all the great mods people have contributed. I will def be ordering pieces to get this look once I get my Razorcrest.

23 hours ago, TeeNuggetTa said:

This looks utterly amazing and is a great culmination of all the great mods people have contributed. I will def be ordering pieces to get this look once I get my Razorcrest.

Thank you for the kind words. Glad I can help and this is why I decided to share. 

On 11/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, Jeffersc said:

PXL_20201118_154612485PXL_20201118_154642888

Your landing gear is on point and I love that it is easily removable for flight. I may make some adjustments to my interior too. 

On 11/14/2020 at 3:23 PM, Hold0511 said:

Few more tweaks - I love seeing other peoples mods and their ideas which I can apply to mine - some great ships being built out there.

img_0144.jpg

Played around with the cockpit - I can get two seated, one standing and squeeze the Child in on the side.

img_0147.jpg

Going tor the well used patina in series 2, lots of different panels but the tan looking ones are actually silver just the shoddy light and pic.

img_0151.jpg

The Blurg is a tight fit though - need to sort out those technic supports - flattening the legs just about gets him in there with the two carbonite slabs.

img_0160.jpg

This looks amazing!! Would it be possible that you could please share how you did the landing gear an what pieces you used!I may have just set up an account to ask you how you did the landing gear Mod :) it looks that good! Thank you

@DonFulcrum sure thing will do.

I've got some pics to hand of the landing gear itself - and later tonight Ill see if I can build up the parts list and take some pics of the changed internals of the bottom of the ship (I tiled it over so it will take some time to take apart).

From memory I rejigged the internals so I could slot in the gear for when I wanted to show it down hence moved the door supports around to enable me to free up access to a couple of bricks with axle hole (32064)s.

img_0163.jpg

img_0164.jpg

img_0165.jpg

img_0167.jpg

@Hold0511 You legend - thank you! I don't have any of these pieces so a BrickLink or P&B order will be needed! Look forward to seeing your parts list and interior:) thanks once again. What is that piece you have used to connect to the grey landing ski, I have search the Internet and can't work it out :")

I'm DonFulcrum and recently joined Eurobricks. I'm currently trying to mod my razor crest to be as screen accurate as possible as I am pretty disappointed with the official lego set. Just waiting on my P&B order then I will upload my MODs so far! I'm really impressed with all the mods everyone has done - they look great :)

Edited by DonFulcrum

@DonFulcrum no worries..  From the pics I already had and doing a quick BL check I think the gear parts are;

Main gear legs - each leg;

1 x Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Angled 32013

1x Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Angled #4 135deg 32192

1 x Pneumatic Hose Connector with Axle Connector 99021

1 x Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular Split 92907

1 x Technical Axle 4

1 x Technical Axle 3

1 x Technic, Axle 2 Notched 32062

1 x Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with 2 Open O Clips - horizontal 60470b

2 x Slope, Curved 2 x 2 15068 (or you could swap one for a 2 x 2 tile and flatten out the gear cover, or another 1 x 2 tile take your fancy)

1 x Plate, Round 2 x 2 with Rounded Bottom (Boat Stud) 2654

2 x Technic, Axle 2 Notched 32062 (or use one and put a tile or grill on the ski)

1 x Technic, Pin with Friction Ridges Lengthwise, Staggered, with or without Center Slots 2780

In the hull you need 2 x Technic, Brick 1 x 2 with Axle Hole 32064 - I can't remember if they where in the original set or not.

Front gear (using the two black connections in the kit);

1 x Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular Split 92907

1 x Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with Center Pin Hole 32184

1 x Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Bar Handle on 48336

1 x Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with 2 Open O Clips - horizontal 60470b

2 x Slope, Curved 2 x 2 15068

2 x 1x2 plates 3023

1 x 2x2 Tile, Modified 2 x 2 inverted 11203 (or use another boat stud)

2 x Technic, Axle 2 Notched 32062

2 x Technic, Axle Pin with Friction Ridges 43093

Edited by Hold0511
Typo

24 minutes ago, DonFulcrum said:

@Hold0511

Thank you so much! Now to find a BL seller with all these pieces in the UK :) 

Should be straight forward, I'm in the UK and from memory there was nothing expensive or hard to find (other than some sellers being impacted by lockdown etc).  I've not been able to breakout the changes to the ship itself this evening - I'll try to do that for you tomorrow.

@Hold0511

Found a seller with quite a few of the pieces, but will have to do a couple orders it looks like!

Thanks once again, will let you know how I get on :)

This is the rejigged base - I moved the 1x1 with clips around so I could put t in the 2x 1x2 brick with axle holes (I removed the outer one for the pic.  One brick worked ok but two keeps the plates above them which form the floor of the RZ more stable.  The side without the carbonite is easier as its larger plates, the carbonite side has small plates so I re-built it upside down for ease else some of the piece's will float without hull base plate being attached.  You could change how the carbonite section works but I waned to leave that bit alone.

Moving the 1x1 with clips means you have to re-arrange the hinge plates on the side panels - easy enough and they remain stable opening/closing.

Cheers

img_0173.jpg

img_0169.jpg

Hello everyone, I hope you are well!

I was wondering if you could please help me with something! Just seen 'AkashLegoProductions' video on Youtube - he's done a great MOD to his RC by extending the length of the cockpit. I've decided I want to do it but can't work out exactly how to go about it - Would someone please be able to help me? Thank you!

He has extended the nose a lot as he has moved one of the engine covers 87926 into the canopy and you can see two lots of slopes on the top sides, the engines have had a lot of work on the fronts and rears and are wider and there are a lot of changes along the top and sides. Your either going to have to study the video a lot to work out some of the main changes and then go from there in trying to replicate (I assume from a quick scan of the video makers sire they never offer instructions) which is hard when you can't always see any of the changes being built up.  I'd check the main structure is unchanged and then start working my way through in sections - focus on the nose and then work backworks say - but its always a pain to try to replicate someones build from such a limited source.

For such a lot of changes from the standard set you may want to start looking at MOCs - I have modded by 75292 but also bought and build a MOC to get a version which looks more accurate but is over 2k parts and hence twice as many as the retail set.

Hey mate @Hold0511 thanks for the reply!

Yeah I have tried to MOD the set as best I can, I am still waiting on some of the parts to do your landing gear. I think you're right, it may be time to start saving up for a MOC. I am getting quite frustrated with MODing the set as there is only so much you can do without having to completely redesign the ship and with limited light bluish grey spare pieces, oh well :/ its not like I can even pop to the Lego store and get what I need :'( I'm debating starting all over again and changing the design as I go along, but I think I'll wait till the LEGO store re-opens so I can get what I need, as currently I don't have a clue what I am doing - maybe I'm just bad at MODs :'') Just going to leave it for now as it's very frustrating and this should be an enjoyable task! Thank you for all your help :)

I think there is a tipping point where its moves from mod'ing the set over to in effect using it as a base as a MOC - I think when you move into the latter territory then the limitations of the official set will come to the fore - I made the decision I'd leave the RZ core structure alone and change around it - once like you I wanted to do more then I looked for a RZ MOC which best fit my budget / parts. 

Ideally when I have the budget I'll probably look at the amazing Jerac MOC - but at 5k pieces that's going to add up once you add in BL / BnPs P&P for all the orders etc - so that's probably a long term project for second half of this year at the earliest (i'll probably part ouf the modded lego RZ into that build). 

Don't get frustrated - I keep a gallery of changes people make to sets I have or will get and then over time I look to apply changes where I can - LDD can be useful to help work out the parts you need (or studio IO but I've not tried that myself).  I create BL wanted lists by ship and then when I decide to place an order I'll use the WL to see if the shop has any other parts I need - might make getting the parts for any one ship longer but it works out more cost effective than doing lots of orders and being stung for a load of P&P costs.  And I am rubbish at coming up with my own stuff, but I still enjoy tinkering and following as best I can some of the brilliant people's creations and lots of people on the forum are always happy to help - I got a lot of help on the two MOCs I have on EB (1 in SW and one in Sci-Fi)..

Yeah you are definitely right, the Papaglop UCS RC is amazing too! I love Edge of Bricks MOC, but I really wish the cockpit had 3 sets. I think I am too much of a perfectionist haha. Will be interesting to see how Jerac's compares with Papaglop's! So many amazing lego builders out there!

I think its just practise and as I accumulate more pieces I'll probably be able to do more things. Might be better to start with some simple MOCs then build my way up as I have jumped way too far ahead without having a good base of lego techniques. Will put it on the backburner for now! My desktop is filled with screenshots of MODs I like so when the time is right I'll go back and reference those. I have just downloaded Stud.io from brick link and it is better than LDD in my opinion. From now on will utilise those programmes more before I go for it and start buying pieces, my lego ability is not what it used to be haha.

Have you got reddit?

Hi all,

Great mods, I finally finished mine, please let me know your thoughts. This was my first star wars set and my first attempt at mods. It is almost all Lego but the grey engine grille piece is Mega Construx  (from harrier set).

I added in the usual interior mods, ladder, gun rack, toilet. Made the landing gear fold flat, modified engines added slopes to underside of wings and filed gaps at tail section. Also modified the cannons to look more like on show especially the side fins on them, and I built up the intakes/flat pieces on underside of engines to look more like show. The underside was probably the trickiest part for me to design, good old trial and error.

y4rk396dt4b61.jpg?width=3264&format=pjpg

1qzbpjdbt4b61.jpg?width=480&format=pjpg&

oh1eckdbt4b61.jpg?width=3264&format=pjpg

qmhvckdbt4b61.jpg?width=3264&format=pjpg

am4i4kdbt4b61.jpg?width=3264&format=pjpg

f1o1cjdbt4b61.jpg?width=2448&format=pjpgyamkzidbt4b61.jpg?width=3264&format=pjpg

kxw1gkdbt4b61.jpg?width=3264&format=pjpg

After getting the speeder set with the beskar armor I found out - it fits perfecly inside the ship! Even with all the stuff I put inside.

I used the chance and modded a few more things. Except for two angled plates at the back theres only 6 exposed studs. Also almost no anti studs since I used the tiles which are flat on the underside for the camera unfriendly angles of the ship.

I hope I find some time to make some kind of flickr again so I can post pictures here.

Hi everyone, thought I would share some of my mods here. A lot of the mods are inspired by some of the designs from this forum, but I also came up with a lot of the changes myself. I put a lot of focus in making the interior as accurate as possible within the limits of the available space. But I've also updated the look of the landing gear, front and rear engines and the cockpit, making all of them more accurate to the real ship.

This is my first MOC ever and I would really appreciate if you would check it out! Since I can't upload the pictures straight to the forum, I have linked an Imgur gallery of the modifications:

https://imgur.com/gallery/xCsSZWI

A lot of the modifications are inspired in particularly by mcphatty's instructions, which is why they deserve extra credit!

PS. I have updated the design since then and I've also made free instructions available, which can both be accessed on the next page of the thread!

Edited by 0rig0