MAG85

75292 The Razor Crest – MODs and improvements

5 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

I'll do some pics of the parts for you next chance I get.  I made a quick and dirty build of one nacelle using the bricks I had to hand to give you a feel for it.  It will droop a little as I used a pipe and not a bar for the connection as for now I have left the original lego bulkhead' as was, ideally I'll put a bar in else strengthen up the area behind the DBG wheel.

img_0111.jpg 

#img_0113.jpg

img_0114.jpg

Almost feel like you could jus take off the wheel and use some dark blueish grey tiles on the new build. Jus seems like a bit much. Jus me though. Otherwise looks great. :)

15 hours ago, Zer0100ne said:

Almost feel like you could jus take off the wheel and use some dark blueish grey tiles on the new build. Jus seems like a bit much. Jus me though. Otherwise looks great. :)

Thanks and that may be a good idea you suggest - I'll have a look at that later and see if I have some DBG tiles I can try out.

Built a second engine (awaiting the parts so the colours are off but the idea is there) and below is one with and without the wheel.  I've got some ingot pieces coming so might add those to the non wheel version to help give some shape.

Once the parts arrive I'll take the time to line up the 'ribs' better and then sort the colour etc

img_0123.jpg

img_0120.jpg

Edited by Hold0511
Added pic

18 hours ago, Case39 said:

Looks definitly better!

What Parts are needed? 

Not the right colours but this shows the parts I used for the current build.  I'll then also sort the original engine attachment to replace the current attachment and work on the rear.

img_0115.jpg

I've a couple of in progress pics of the build f you want them.

Edited by Hold0511

5 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

Not the right colours but this shows the parts I used for the current build.  I'll then also sort the original engine attachment to replace the current attachment and work on the rear.

img_0115.jpg

I've a couple of in progress pics of the build f you want them.

Big thanks. If want, you can make photos of the progress.

57 minutes ago, Case39 said:

Big thanks. If want, you can make photos of the progress.

img_0116.jpg

Two of these - one has the 1x1 bricks and 1x4 plates and acts as the rear element.  The other has the inverted slopes and 1x3 plates plus the printed round tile for the front element.

img_0117.jpg

Rear with the tiles and wedges added.

img_0118.jpg

Front with the tiles and wedges added.  Each has a cylinder added and the round plate is used to separate the rings.

img_0119.jpg

The two sections are slotted in - they don't join as they are back to back - hence the bar or pipe is used to link them and then into the engine assembly (else you would not get the angle offset you need).You can play around with the size of plates and tiles to make shorter or longer shapes, and if you put larger pieces in the middle you can make quite long sections by using 1x8 plates and tiles.  For the Razor Crest I felt a 4 plate would be about right.

The pipe is 8l but I plan to swap it for a shorter bar depending on how I end up changing the engine.  If you go without the wheel then I think 6l would be fine. 

5 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

The pipe is 8l but I plan to swap it for a shorter bar depending on how I end up changing the engine.  If you go without the wheel then I think 6l would be fine. 

Thanks again. This is the way?

17 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

Thanks and that may be a good idea you suggest - I'll have a look at that later and see if I have some DBG tiles I can try out.

Built a second engine (awaiting the parts so the colours are off but the idea is there) and below is one with and without the wheel.  I've got some ingot pieces coming so might add those to the non wheel version to help give some shape.

Once the parts arrive I'll take the time to line up the 'ribs' better and then sort the colour etc

img_0123.jpg

img_0120.jpg

Damn I cant decide which I like better. Impacted to see how it looks with the right colors. If I have time this weekend, I may tinker with it. Not sure if I have enough for both sides though. 

Has anyone tried to use technic to raise the engine supports a smidge? afaict there's a very slight angle the fuselage takes to get to the engines and with the angle of the bodywork technic could work out pretty well.

14 hours ago, Pirean_Grammaticul said:

Has anyone tried to use technic to raise the engine supports a smidge? afaict there's a very slight angle the fuselage takes to get to the engines and with the angle of the bodywork technic could work out pretty well.

At the moment I removed one of the technic pins on each side then covered the wing/body connections up for now.  If I decide to redo the inside then i'd maybe look at playing around with the frame and angles then but for now I'm messing with the engines still.  Could look good if some one mailed the angle right.

2 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

At the moment I removed one of the technic pins on each side then covered the wing/body connections up for now.  If I decide to redo the inside then i'd maybe look at playing around with the frame and angles then but for now I'm messing with the engines still.  Could look good if some one mailed the angle right.

I completelx removed the middle technic structure. I feel it is completely unnecessary - the model holds very well without it. I get that for kids who smash stuff on the floor it made sense. But it was stable enough so it could fall down a bit for me as well.

This is the first non-BP SW set I purchased since a long time. Except for the front and back of engines I think it's really great. It's not even that big but holds much more space than any other ship except for the Falcon maybe. I also really appreciate the inclusion of the escape pod.

I modded the **** out of it -  like 30% of the parts I didnt even use but instead I took apart many other sets.

- without the middle structure its much easier to get in your hands
- colours fit (95% light grey) and dont change pattern like on a cat.
- almost studless. With some newer pieces I could even make the curved pieces look pretty smooth.

- escape pod I turned into a shuttle - when put in the Crest it looks the same from any angle
- greebling beneath the shuttle
- 2 aditional spaces behind the ship for greebeling. I used some of the technical structure for that, which I slightly changed
- technic structure behind cockpit removed so now much more acress - and as some posted before also a ladder.

- the most difficult thing was fixing cockpit pieces together, as they have both anti-studs facing each other. I used small lightsaber pieces with clips and hinged it together. Quite sturdy but does any of you have another alternative?

I would like to post the set but I dont want to go through all that regestration stuff - if anyone is interested, maybe I can sent pictures otherwise.
Due to life changes this will be my last set - I am grateful for the product Lego has put out and even more happy how I could modify it.

Now I just gotta spend 5 hours putting all the extra pieces away again :laugh:

On 9/24/2020 at 7:22 PM, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I would like to post the set but I dont want to go through all that regestration stuff - if anyone is interested, maybe I can sent pictures otherwise.
Due to life changes this will be my last set - I am grateful for the product Lego has put out and even more happy how I could modify it.

Sad, that you can't post pictures here. Your MODs sounds interesting.

I have update my front end too. I can only recommend this MOD. The ship look now much better.

50393361251_0f56fbdde0_c.jpgTRC_8, on Flickr

With the back off the engines i'm happy too.

50392673703_3514b8ed10_c.jpgTRC_9, on Flickr

@Hold0511 I tried to implement the light brick in the narrow down nose. It is not possible because the two brick 1X3X2 W / Ins And Outs.Bow (92903) are in the way.

43 minutes ago, MAG85 said:

Sad, that you can't post pictures here. Your MODs sounds interesting.

I have update my front end too. I can only recommend this MOD. The ship look now much better.

50393361251_0f56fbdde0_c.jpgTRC_8, on Flickr

With the back off the engines i'm happy too.

50392673703_3514b8ed10_c.jpgTRC_9, on Flickr

@Hold0511 I tried to implement the light brick in the narrow down nose. It is not possible because the two brick 1X3X2 W / Ins And Outs.Bow (92903) are in the way.

Rear engines looking good.  Shame about the light brick.

I've made a bunch of mods to my Razor Crest inspired by the great work in this thread that I wanted to share. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/h0d3GHn

Changes include rebuilding the nose to make it slightly narrower, adding flight controls and additional consoles to the cockpit, making more room to the cockpit and adding custom seats, rebuilding the cockpit canopy for a smoother appearance and to be removable as a single piece, adding a ladder, gun rack, toilet, and some additional machinery adjacent to the sleeping quarters, removing the spring-fire lasers, reshaping detail and recoloring the top of the ship, building new landing gear, and building a display stand modeled after the stand for the UCS Slave 1.

This is a work in progress. I still plan to make some changes to the engines and to add some additional detail to the main cargo hold.

Edited by Warbinator

8 hours ago, Warbinator said:

I've made a bunch of mods to my Razor Crest inspired by the great work in this thread that I wanted to share

https://imgur.com/gallery/h0d3GHn

Changes include rebuilding the nose to make it slightly narrower, adding flight controls and additional consoles to the cockpit, making more room to the cockpit and adding custom seats, rebuilding the cockpit canopy for a smoother appearance and to be removable as a single piece, adding a ladder, gun rack, toilet, and some additional machinery adjacent to the sleeping quarters, removing the spring-fire lasers, reshaping detail and recoloring the top of the ship, building new landing gear, and building a display stand modeled after the stand for the UCS Slave 1.

This is a work in progress. I still plan to make some changes to the engines and to add some additional detail to the main cargo hold.

Looking good - I like the smoothing of the canopy - I'll add that to the list of things to change, also like the ladder idea.  Never thought to angle the landing gear - that's an excellent shout - do you have any more pics of that?

1 hour ago, Hold0511 said:

Looking good - I like the smoothing of the canopy - I'll add that to the list of things to change, also like the ladder idea.  Never thought to angle the landing gear - that's an excellent shout - do you have any more pics of that?

+1

I would also be interested in detailed pictures of the canopy. The idea with a detailed landing gear was also in my mind. I try to make it removable.

I also updated my cargo hold. A pic will follow.

Warbinator, you did great! I am one of many who have or will buy the RC and start customizing right away, so far I like what you've done the best!

Still waiting for an elusive discount before I eventually buy the set but I'll start looking in my spares see if I can implement some of your ideas (the least flashy of which is, in my opinion, the most effective: the loo!). Cockpit is also deluxe but I'm not sure I'll be able to mimick.

thanks! won't even bother to try and get your landing gear technic trickery down to pat but I'll def see what I can do with the pics of the canopy. The inside of your cockpit is gold.

I add some simply interieur to the cargo hold - tow archway and a removable carbonite freezer. In total there is not much space. I look forward to more ideas from you.

50431006553_052823d557_z.jpgTRC_10], on Flickr

50431006583_877446cc5d_z.jpgTRC_11, on Flickr

It really looks better, and I like how you showed the escape pod fix with the classic train minifigs

Wow thanks for this hint to smooth out the canopy. I fixed mine together with bars on the inside - now I did combination of both; from outside it looks way better and is stll stable enough.

I also modified the guns. Now almost nothing on the exterior is as it was. I hope I can find a way to upload pictures of my almost studless Crest..

Only things which still bother me: engines (way too small, and underdetailed at the rear) and the back part of the "wings". According to source material, this part should be angled upwards and not downwards as it is. Just I dont know how I can properly change it at the moment because it would be in conflict with the rest of the body :angel_sing:

Also as the model is almost studless - I am thinking on completely changing all plates at the bottom with inverted sloaps and tils with smooth bottom (if that is how one can describe the pieces). Then the model would be as perfect as it can be within the given structure and size :pir-love: