MAG85

75292 The Razor Crest – MODs and improvements

I think it’s time for a new thread were we can show und discuss Mods for the Razor Crest. Lego has done a good job. But there are some areas that could be done better with a few more parts.

- Removed the spring loaded shooters

- Shortened the big canons

- Changed the color of a lot of plates and tiles (no red or white bricks anymore)

- Closed the roof under the escape pod

- Closed the section under the tail with a 8x4 Plate in LBG

- Changed the middle section of the nose with a Flat Tile 4x1, a Flat Tile 1X1, 1/2 Circle and four Plate 1X2 W. 1 Knob

- Of course the two lights are now in red

- many more small changes

The next step is the interior. I think the seats should be in dark red. Maybe we can add more details here.

On reddit I found the idea with the gun locker.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/ina9fq/razor_crest_mod_spring_loaded_missile_holder_gun/

Here is my Razor Crest. I would like to see more Mods from the community.

50334137963_a02bc4c1fd_c.jpgTRC_1, on Flickr

50334986147_c61e9d3ea0_c.jpgTRC_2, on Flickr

50334137773_1f987262c0_c.jpgTRC_3, on Flickr

50334137663_6afc2cab83_c.jpgTRC_4, on Flickr

50334137568_4d2b2a317f_c.jpgTRC_5, on Flickr

Good ideas and great mods so far, the dark grey stripe in the middle of the nose is a good place to start for everyone I think and the rest of your suggestions are good! There’s plenty of space for some surface detail on those big triangular wedge plates at the back, I think I’ll be nodding them too. Haven’t tried it yet but the engine gaps look like they could be closed up by alternating 1 and 2 stud wide curved slopes.

37 minutes ago, mcphatty said:

Haven’t tried it yet but the engine gaps look like they could be closed up by alternating 1 and 2 stud wide curved slopes.

I think Lego themselves did not use that technique because it would result in a more overtly octagonal looking engine rather than a 'suggested' circular one.

1 hour ago, JekPorkchops said:

I think Lego themselves did not use that technique because it would result in a more overtly octagonal looking engine rather than a 'suggested' circular one.

I would rather have it look octagonal than spiky, by my opinion may change depending on how it looks. 

I've got some mods too, I'll take pictures later but I redid a bit of the skeleton to make the full cockpit area (the light tan plate) fit more figures, added a ladder, changed the spring shooter storage panel to a gun room, made room for a third carbonite (2003 han) in the carbonite storage thing, and switched the seats to black. 

I'll 100% be using your mod ideas for my copy of the crest, they're great!

The most glaring thing to me was the hole in the top of the escape pod... here was my fix... two pieces... that was it...  It was so easy I let the classic train guys take care of it. 

It raised the level of the escape pod by a barely noticeable single plate and preserved the design of the ship quite nicely. 

1759723741_ScreenShot2020-09-13at2_12_24

1567864092_ScreenShot2020-09-13at2_12_39

2016807578_ScreenShot2020-09-13at2_12_46

1878302782_ScreenShot2020-09-13at2_12_55

1417795219_ScreenShot2020-09-13at2_13_03

@all: Thanks for your feedback!

11 hours ago, TeeNuggetTa said:

Do you have any ideas on how to fill the gaps in the engines??

Until now, I have no idea. There are MOCs with good looking engines. But mostly on the wrong scale for the Lego version.

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I've got some mods too, I'll take pictures later but I redid a bit of the skeleton to make the full cockpit area (the light tan plate) fit more figures, added a ladder, changed the spring shooter storage panel to a gun room, made room for a third carbonite (2003 han) in the carbonite storage thing, and switched the seats to black. 

I'll 100% be using your mod ideas for my copy of the crest, they're great!

Thanks. I look forward to the pictures!

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

The most glaring thing to me was the hole in the top of the escape pod... here was my fix... two pieces... that was it...  It was so easy I let the classic train guys take care of it. 

It raised the level of the escape pod by a barely noticeable single plate and preserved the design of the ship quite nicely. 

1417795219_ScreenShot2020-09-13at2_13_03

The classic train guys did a realy good job. :laugh:

Thanks, I also added a ladder but represented it with the grill pieces using a snot overhang as I wanted as much room as possible in the interior cargo hold so I could fit a speeder bike and some crates.   I also added an Ugnaught because... well, because. 

I definitely like the red circular headlights but may change them to a yellow color or clear.   

On 9/12/2020 at 3:26 PM, TeeNuggetTa said:

Do you have any ideas on how to fill the gaps in the engines??

Here 8s my fix for that. 

Its the last two pics. 

In the cockpit, the gap by the grill and printed tile snuggly fits a 1x1 bracket without any disassembly. 
Just starting to think about adding some modifications to the set myself and started here,

Starting to think about adding cockpit detail to 75292, the gap in the cockpit by the dial allows for a 1x1 bracket to connect comfortably without any disassembly

And I added the aerial piece to allow for the childs interest in the ball, seen throughout the series

Also, you can just see here that I added a 2x2 round tile with hole to add a cleaner front to the cannon.

Alright, here's my cockpit mod.

IMG_6728.jpgIMG_6729.jpg

The pictures aren't great, but this mod removes some of the technic skeleton by the cockpit (this does not make it unstable, I made sure to test it) to give more room for the cockpit to fit more figures, and moved the hinge connection of the second half of the cockpit cover with sort of a double hinge that connects back towards the escape pod. This gives much more room in the cockpit, and as an unintentional added bonus the second half of the cockpit can be removed without removing the first half now.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

On 9/14/2020 at 2:54 PM, Zer0100ne said:

Here 8s my fix for that. 

Its the last two pics. 

I think the front of the engine is the same like the Lego version?! But the back of the engine looks very good!

19 hours ago, n1majneb said:

In the cockpit, the gap by the grill and printed tile snuggly fits a 1x1 bracket without any disassembly. 
Just starting to think about adding some modifications to the set myself and started here,

And I added the aerial piece to allow for the childs interest in the ball, seen throughout the series

Also, you can just see here that I added a 2x2 round tile with hole to add a cleaner front to the cannon.

Nice details in the cockpit. I have to update it too. The 2x2 round tile ist a very good idea.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Alright, here's my cockpit mod.

The pictures aren't great, but this mod removes some of the technic skeleton by the cockpit (this does not make it unstable, I made sure to test it) to give more room for the cockpit to fit more figures, and moved the hinge connection of the second half of the cockpit cover with sort of a double hinge that connects back towards the escape pod. This gives much more room in the cockpit, and as an unintentional added bonus the second half of the cockpit can be removed without removing the first half now.

Thats cool, all the heros find their place in the cockpit.

I had created a separate topic the other day but thought I would just post here to keep everyone's mods in one thread. I recently finished building the Razor Crest and as with many of the official sets, the scale pretty good but there is the potential for so much more detail, cleaner shapes, etc. 

I have started with the front end. 

50340057067_197d335aa2_b.jpg

The first task was at the narrow down the nose to match the canopy. In order to do this I had to eliminate the technic beams. The model is very overbuilt so there isn't really a reduction in rigidity here. 

50339213098_65222e674d_b.jpg

Once I had the nose dialed in where I wanted it I cleared out the area under the cockpit to build in the bunk and weapons locker. It took a bit to get both the bunk and weapons locker were usable, fairly accurate, and squished in enough so that the side door was still usable. 

50340056927_1c5a54b555_b.jpg

Next step is to install the lavatory. Then focus on the exterior of the ship. 

15 hours ago, MAG85 said:

I think the front of the engine is the same like the Lego version?! But the back of the engine looks very good!

Nice details in the cockpit. I have to update it too. The 2x2 round tile ist a very good idea.

Thats cool, all the heros find their place in the cockpit.

I did add some 1x1 slopes to cover the studs in the front and thank you. The hack isn't perfect but I'm still happy how it turned out. Been looking for other mods for the back but havnt seen any yet. 

On 9/17/2020 at 2:13 AM, Zer0100ne said:

I did add some 1x1 slopes to cover the studs in the front and thank you. The hack isn't perfect but I'm still happy how it turned out. Been looking for other mods for the back but havnt seen any yet. 

Yes, that's my fault - sorry. On the second look i see it.

On 9/16/2020 at 2:44 PM, Project Inkfish said:

I had created a separate topic the other day but thought I would just post here to keep everyone's mods in one thread. I recently finished building the Razor Crest and as with many of the official sets, the scale pretty good but there is the potential for so much more detail, cleaner shapes, etc. 

I have started with the front end. 

50340057067_197d335aa2_b.jpg

The first task was at the narrow down the nose to match the canopy. In order to do this I had to eliminate the technic beams. The model is very overbuilt so there isn't really a reduction in rigidity here. 

Once I had the nose dialed in where I wanted it I cleared out the area under the cockpit to build in the bunk and weapons locker. It took a bit to get both the bunk and weapons locker were usable, fairly accurate, and squished in enough so that the side door was still usable. 

Next step is to install the lavatory. Then focus on the exterior of the ship. 

Cool, that you post your updates her. This is a good idea with the narrow nose.

I have a update with the interieur. Mando has now a toilet and a sink. Behind a wall there is some technic from the razor crest. I use this drawing as a guide:

https://thymewayster.tumblr.com/post/611032137095954432/so-im-trying-to-write-a-mandalorian-fic-thats

50355789097_3d2ab7c4a0_z.jpgTCR_6, on Flickr

50355789047_3f5192b450_z.jpgTCR_7, on Flickr

I don't now if it's possible, but it would be cool to insert this light brick as a backlight for the two lights in the nose.

50355633011_fed8205e63_z.jpgTCR_8, on Flickr

Edited by MAG85

I've changed to the narrower front, added the 4x8 plate to close out the rear tail gap, tiled various aspects, created a weapons bay in place of the missiles (simple one for now until my BL order lands), put some covers over the body/wing technic pins, done the escape mod from above and changed the cockpit about.  If you change the nose you should be able to find space for the light brick at the bottom of the nose, but I've added some plates at the bottom to help with the shaping which you would have to play around with to be able to push the light switch button.

img_0099.jpg

img_0100.jpg

img_0101.jpg

img_0102.jpg

I think if you play around with this you could get the light brick in the bottom of the nose.

img_0103.jpg

img_0104.jpg

img_0105.jpg

Edited by Hold0511
Pics added

I'm going to modify my Razor Crest too. Larger and higher, but i have no idea, how to beef up the engines? Any Ideas?

Greetings

Edited by Case39

I've got some parts coming from Lego B&P to update the engines - mostly the rear but Ill play around with the front as well.  For now I've added 1x1 LBG wedges to the inverted curved slopes around the front to smooth out the visuals, and tiled around the cylinder to reduce the studs around the wing area.

11 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

I've got some parts coming from Lego B&P to update the engines - mostly the rear but Ill play around with the front as well.  For now I've added 1x1 LBG wedges to the inverted curved slopes around the front to smooth out the visuals, and tiled around the cylinder to reduce the studs around the wing area.

Ok hard to imagine? And the size?

This was the quick mods pending the order arriving

img_0106.jpg

img_0107.jpg

I'm going to try to use some 65617 Brick, Round Corner 3 x 3 (think front engines of the last T-70) to help blend the back, build out the nozzle and then see if I can close out the front, maybe trying 2 rings offset to increase the number of slopes

I did this for my Clone Wars Y-wing (with the armour) engine - might work.

img_5238.jpeg

Edited by Hold0511
Engine pic added

11 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

This was the quick mods pending the order arriving

img_0106.jpg

img_0107.jpg

I'm going to try to use some 65617 Brick, Round Corner 3 x 3 (think front engines of the last T-70) to help blend the back, build out the nozzle and then see if I can close out the front, maybe trying 2 rings offset to increase the number of slopes

I did this for my Clone Wars Y-wing (with the armour) engine - might work.

img_5238.jpeg

Looks nice. How to build this? 

7 hours ago, Case39 said:

Looks nice. How to build this? 

I'll do some pics of the parts for you next chance I get.  I made a quick and dirty build of one nacelle using the bricks I had to hand to give you a feel for it.  It will droop a little as I used a pipe and not a bar for the connection as for now I have left the original lego bulkhead' as was, ideally I'll put a bar in else strengthen up the area behind the DBG wheel.

img_0111.jpg 

#img_0113.jpg

img_0114.jpg

Looks definitly better!

What Parts are needed? 

Edited by Case39