LvdH

Technic 2021 Set Discussion

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Hm this article said what dealer said to me on Saturday (I went to coffee and one wrangler if I'm not mistaken was on display) that solid axles were replaced by independent suspension and only renegade is equipped with solid axles and rear wheel drive (front drive can be additionally be offered as extra...)... But dealer / salesman will tell you anything...

The Jeep Renegade has the same plattform as this car :tongue:

Spoiler

Prueba-Fiat-500L-di%C3%A9sel.jpg

Fiat 500L. It's a FWD minivan, definitively not the kind of vehicle with solid axles or RWD. The Renegade also comes with standard FWD.

According to Wikipedia, the Wrangler still uses solid axles. Hope TLG manages to put them in the set.

29 minutes ago, Kaanere said:

The Jeep Renegade has the same plattform as this car :tongue:

Reveal hidden contents

Prueba-Fiat-500L-di%C3%A9sel.jpg

Fiat 500L. It's a FWD minivan, definitively not the kind of vehicle with solid axles or RWD. The Renegade also comes with standard FWD.

According to Wikipedia, the Wrangler still uses solid axles. Hope TLG manages to put them in the set.

Thanks; my phone just opened website that I linked but first dozen rows so I could not read the rest... I saw the Wikipedia page but very often Wikipedia is far from truth, so I thought that sales personnel has better source than every normal customer. I hope you're right.

Yep, the Jeep Wrangler absolutely still has two live axles. In North America, at least, the light-duty vehicle world has only four dual-live axle vehicles left: the Ford Super Duty trucks, the Ram heavy duty trucks, the Jeep Wrangler, and the Wrangler's pickup variant, the Jeep Gladiator.

It is certainly possible for Lego to fit in the suspension at this scale. See this model of the same car at similar, if not smaller, scale. I certainly hope they include it, since it is a very characteristic feature of the Wrangler. It would be all too easy for them to simplify to a rear-wheel drive car with independent front suspension and a trailing arm rear, as in many other small off-roaders.

11 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Does anyone know the width of LEGO wrangler (set 42122)?

From what I calculate from the leaked photo, it is 15 stud wide

4 hours ago, Technicallism said:

then life axle is doable. thank you

On 10/14/2020 at 9:18 AM, Technicallism said:

I calculated the same: [2L fender] + [11L body] + [2L-fender]. The only moment is here, is how the axles are made - do the wheels aligned with the fenders or placed even wider?

17 hours ago, Void_S said:

I calculated the same: [2L fender] + [11L body] + [2L-fender]. The only moment is here, is how the axles are made - do the wheels aligned with the fenders or placed even wider?

If wider, it could be not more than 1 stud wider, so left & right total 2 studs more.

Safely estimate the model is 15-17 studs wide

23 hours ago, Technicallism said:

If wider, it could be not more than 1 stud wider, so left & right total 2 studs more.

I assume that McLaren Senna GTR is the same width; perhaps this one?

1-mclaren-senna-gtr-2019-fd-hero-front.j

On 10/15/2020 at 6:26 AM, Void_S said:

On 10/16/2020 at 12:13 AM, Technicallism said:

Hey @Void_S, @Technicallism@I_Igor and others!

If the Jeep is 15 studs wide or possibly 17, do you think they will use the slim wheels like the Corvette ZR1 42093 set so that the wheels do not stick out? And also, what kind of front suspension do you think they will use?

On 10/13/2020 at 2:22 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

I certainly hope they include it, since it is a very characteristic feature of the Wrangler. It would be all too easy for them to simplify to a rear-wheel drive car with independent front suspension and a trailing arm rear, as in many other small off-roaders.

Yes, @2GodBDGlory, I hope they will include the suspension too, but I do not know about independent front suspension… Maybe if they use the same wheels as the Corvette ZR1, they could incorporate front suspension. I found that the tires from Corvette ZR1 are 14mm wide and a 1x1 plate is 8mm wide, which means that the tire is 1.75 studs wide and there is 96mm or 12 studs of room in between.. So, if they use the 15459 steering arm that is 5-studs long, they will be able to incorporate the steering and suspension. I think the tires stick out over the sides of the wheel about 1mm on each side, that means there is 12mm total for each wheel. That also means that there is 11 or maybe 12 studs of room in between the wheels. 
Based on what I just stated, I think they will incorporate a basic suspension in the front; but, as to the back, I do not think we should hope for anything complex.

I cannot wait to see what the Lego Technic Off-roader is going to look like!

@Evan-Eleven the Engineer I think it uses common 20mm (a bit wider) wheels...after some research if there will be any kind of suspension, then there will be live axles both to the front and to the end and not independent (that was fake news, at least it is so far...)

9 hours ago, Evan-Eleven the Engineer said:

f the Jeep is 15 studs wide or possibly 17, do you think they will use the slim wheels like the Corvette ZR

As seen in leaked pictures, on jeep there are new small tractor tyres.

If I see correctly, on buggy there is new panel 3x7 (rectangle), in front, blue one.

If the Jeep has proper suspension and steering, winch and fake engine then i think it will be a big seller.

It's not too big and not too expensive, and in a standard yellow color. People will mod the heck out of this.

I like the tires bit they don't fit the Jeep imo. They are agricultural tires and not really offroad tires.

Monster Trucks and racing plane (teal panels!!!) look cool, might get those!

Excavator and skid steer look like great little detailed sets. might get those!

Hovercraft and Senna don't interest me...

Hope to see more detailed pictures which aren't taken with a toaster soon, especially from the Ferrari!

18 hours ago, Evan-Eleven the Engineer said:

Corvette ZR1 42093 set so that the wheels do not stick out? And also, what kind of front suspension do you think they will use?

Yes, @2GodBDGlory, I hope they will include the suspension too, but I do not know about independent front suspension… Maybe if they use the same wheels as the Corvette ZR1, they could incorporate front suspension. I found that the tires from Corvette ZR1 are 14mm wide and a 1x1 plate is 8mm wide, which means that the tire is 1.75 studs wide and there is 96mm or 12 studs of room in between.. So, if they use the 15459 steering arm that is 5-studs long, they will be able to incorporate the steering and suspension. I think the tires stick out over the sides of the wheel about 1mm on each side, that means there is 12mm total for each wheel. That also means that there is 11 or maybe 12 studs of room in between the wheels. 
Based on what I just stated, I think they will incorporate a basic suspension in the front; but, as to the back, I do not think we should hope for anything complex.

I cannot wait to see what the Lego Technic Off-roader is going to look like!

Well, I say it is good news if there isn't enough room for independent front suspension! That way, if Lego is going to include suspension, they will have to include a realistic solid axle (either pendular, or, hopefully, live-axle)!

On 10/13/2020 at 6:23 AM, Gumalca said:

There have been similar or smaller sized sets with suspension on all wheels: 42037, 42005, 9392, 8048. If the Jeep has suspension that would also partly explain why the Senna has a higher part count for the same price. Unless the money all goes into the Jeep licence, but I think that's unlikely because the Defender had a fair price for being licenced.

You're drawing a credible point, bit it is worth noting that a few of those kits; in this particular case, the latter two, are several years retired at this point in time and thus not necessarily too reflective of TLG's 2019/2020 approach to design and source material adherence. The final word, so to speak, remains in the respective value assessments; the 42123 Senna is notably a much more salient deal with regard to PpP, but 665 parts is still well within the proffered normal for a $49.99 US TECHNIC set. All four of the sets that you named are from 2015 or before as far as I recall, so that's a discriminating issue to consider in turn as well.

On 10/12/2020 at 1:11 PM, Citromon said:

I do like 42120 and 42122 (hope from some suspension, otherwise...). That's what I can tell from prel. pictures.  

The Jeep Wrangler (42122) is a nice model, but as a relatively expensive single-model kit at $49.99 it doesn't seem to bring anything too eye-catching to shelves/shelf displays. I would suspect that the "Monster Jam" license is valued much more generously than the respective Jeep license, but different folks have different ideas on what constitutes a nice TECHNIC model. I like to see building techniques that will drive me up the wall. :P

Does anyone know what is up with the alleged/rumored part count for 42124? Yes, there's a chance that it's below 1,000, but it can't be too low at the 374 that it's been rumored at. Is there a chance that 1374 was the intended value? Below 400, as has been discussed, would be absurd, but it's been cited at 374 by multiple sources last month.

Edited by Azani

What is in front of and back pf the jeeps hood? I can't really understand. 

Is that some large sticker on back of the hood? 

It also seems to me, that jeep doesn't have steering. There is no visible HOG knob, also wheels are straight. For steerable cars they are always at some angle in pictures.

7 hours ago, Azani said:

Does anyone know what is up with the alleged/rumored part count for 42124? Yes, there's a chance that it's below 1,000, but it can't be too low at the 374 that it's been rumored at. Is there a chance that 1374 was the intended value? Below 400, as has been discussed, would be absurd, but it's been cited at 374 by multiple sources last month.

Never 1374. It's the successor to 42109 which had 463 pieces. That's still 89 less for 42124, but it's within the expected range.

51 minutes ago, Jurss said:

It also seems to me, that jeep doesn't have steering. There is no visible HOG knob, also wheels are straight. For steerable cars they are always at some angle in pictures. 

I think there is a big tan gear at the back of the cabin for steering.

While I do believe that it will have suspension, I'm more concerned about a fake engine. Because if it really has live axle suspension there won't be much space under the hood for a fake engine, as the model is really not big. Independent suspension would leave more room for a fake engine.

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

I noticed that too :sceptic:

Buuuut i will fit a steering if it doesn't have any.

2 hours ago, Coolusername said:

I noticed that too :sceptic:

Buuuut i will fit a steering if it doesn't have any.

Well in 2020 catalog 42108 set (mobile crane) was shown with all tires inline and has steering, so I think it has steering. IMHO since I build mainly machinery it is great part's pack...about tractor tires we`ll see at the end when official will be published...

Omitting steering from a car would be really strange decision, unless it's a pullback. I mean, this is Technic so _some_ functionality is a must and for a car steering is a no-brainer, the very first function to be chosen when deciding what functions to include.

40 minutes ago, Jockos said:

I think the steering knob is situated behind the cab like the Mack truck

Or where spare tire is...