LvdH

Technic 2021 Set Discussion

3 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I cannot seem to find it... when will be the release dates for the MB Zetros and the Semi Crane Truck.  Are they they same or different? 

Zetros & Tow Truck: Aug 1st

CAT & Ford: Oct 1st

5 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Great!  But on what exactly?   Is this when @Sariel and others can release any reviews they have done on the Zetros and American Crane Truck?

Yes, reviews of these 2 sets will come on the 16th the earliest.

36 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Great!  But on what exactly?   Is this when @Sariel and others can release any reviews they have done on the Zetros and American Crane Truck?  Also, and I know all this information is elsewhere, but after mining the forum for the past 20 minutes I cannot seem to find it... when will be the release dates for the MB Zetros and the Semi Crane Truck.  Are they they same or different? 

Honestly I don't know all the answers, but IMHO detailed info is to see how axles, chassis... are done or things like that, so I think in their reviews this (detailed) info will appear. I also peek from time to time on vareous topics and instead of new info about sets I got pictures of beautiful custom 1936 Ford convertible in my mailbox, so what can I say? On forum mostly sounds like father of Taz (the tasmanian devil) in cartoon when he says blah-blah-blah, yackity schmackity...

perhaps those dozen images of Zetros are for Independence day 

kind regards

Zetros & Tow Truck: Aug 1st

CAT & Ford: Oct 1st

But why the Tow Truck and the Ford are already listed on the Lego site, and the other two are not?

4 minutes ago, Citromon said:

the other two are not?

Ford is already listed. It will be shipped on Oct 1st.

CAT isn't. Maybe TLG plans to host a premier session for it.

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

CAT isn't. Maybe TLG plans to host a premier session for it.

Or they're still not done changing it from those preliminary pics.

Can anyone summarize the new elements for sets 42128 and 9?  New elements period... not old elements just in new colors.  For now what I am tracking are: 

42128 = New alternating liftarm beam (alternating pinholes) - (9L?, 7L? - I can't remember). Pneumatics are the newer valve and long cylinder, but not brand new right?  

42129 = obviously the tires are new.  PU motors/hub rather than PF.  I know we get the newer planetary gear hubs, newer CV joints.  Anything else?  

12 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Can anyone summarize the new elements for sets 42128 and 9?  New elements period... not old elements just in new colors.  For now what I am tracking are: 

42128 = New alternating liftarm beam (alternating pinholes) - (9L?, 7L? - I can't remember). Pneumatics are the newer valve and long cylinder, but not brand new right?  

42129 = obviously the tires are new.  PU motors/hub rather than PF.  I know we get the newer planetary gear hubs, newer CV joints.  Anything else?  

In this video new elements are shown for the 42129 https://youtu.be/AI4SA6keh8A?t=1274

Did not check complete video (was only interested for the 42129).

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

I think 42128 has beam 11 with alternating pin holes...

The new alternating liftarm is 1x11, it has several. I spotted 9 or something. Pneumatic cylinder 1x11 only came in the Arocs and used they cost €50+ (Exit: seems they dropped in price since I last checked. Still around €40 each though). The pump only came in 42053 and the 2x11 cylinders in a couple sets already. The valves only came in 42080. It also has the orange 3x3 T shape liftarm that previously only came in the Osprey. Otherwise no new parts I believe.

Edited by LvdH

@nerdsforprez The Zetros has a new CV joint part, designed to fit with the new larger CV joints, it's slightly longer and allows and axle to slide in and out freely. This is used on the prop shaft that drives the rear axle, to allow it to extend and retract when the live axle suspension moves up and down.

Thank you everyone for the speedy replies!! 

I am thinking about giving a go at at least one of these models with the parts I already have and then purchasing the new parts on BL or other medium later.  But, as we all know, a new part can easily cost up to a fourth or so of any given set... so I have to consider all this.  

As appealing as the new tires for the Zetros are if I do build it I will try to modify things to handle larger tires.  I will want to make other modifications as well.  

But, these sets may have too many new parts.  It may just be better to purchase the whole set(s) 

45 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

But, these sets may have too many new parts.

Wow, that's one complaint I never expected to see! :laugh:

Generally speaking cheapest parts are when you buy whole set; very often I bought sets as parts packs, so IMHO it is not bad thinking at all

6 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Generally, the fun is in seeing what the designers can do with existing parts.

Yes, and that's why I value B-models, and especially B-models that have little in common with their A-model's subject matter.

But I also like to get new parts, to see what new possibilities they bring.

21 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Not so much a complaint as an observation.  :grin:

As I mentioned before... I am ending my complaints about the Raptor.  Lego can't be expected to knock it out of the park on each set (or at least out of the infield) :laugh:

I am just happy to have two sets I actually am interested in purchasing.  I don't know if I will build the actual sets, but they sure sound fun to modify at this time.  Eager for all the reviews bound to come out soon...

I am thinking about giving a go at at least one of these models with the parts I already have and then purchasing the new parts on BL or other medium later.  But, as we all know, a new part can easily cost up to a fourth or so of any given set... so I have to consider all this.  

I you choose the tow truck, I'm pretty sure you will have most of the parts.

11 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

As appealing as the new tires for the Zetros are if I do build it I will try to modify things to handle larger tires.  I will want to make other modifications as well.  

Remember that larger tyres will have the effect of gearing it up, so you'll have less torque.

7 hours ago, allanp said:

Remember that larger tyres will have the effect of gearing it up, so you'll have less torque.

Yup.  I may do something similar to what I did with 8110 - the Unimog.  Which would mean rebuilding/designing the whole drivetrain.  But yes, your point is well taken  :sweet:

13 hours ago, allanp said:

But, also better clearance beneath the axel. 

And higher center of gravity as well.

Really looking forward to a couple of the reviews, even though I already know I will be getting both sets. The Raptor just isn't the type set I like and the Caterpillar I just can't afford, if I buy the Tow Truck and Trials Truck. So overall I am happy with this wave.

Just finished the Trial Truck, after building the Tow Truck last week. Without giving away any information I am probably allowed to say that I really enjoyed both builds!