LvdH

Technic 2021 Set Discussion

The closest precedent to this type of set at this price point is 42029. At 100$ or 90 EUR, this set comes with 1063 pieces. That set also use the same rims. And that set doesn't have any fancy function nor the space for it. So it's likely that this set will be similar.

48 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The closest precedent to this type of set at this price point is 42029. At 100$ or 90 EUR, this set comes with 1063 pieces. That set also use the same rims. And that set doesn't have any fancy function nor the space for it. So it's likely that this set will be similar.

42029 had a winch and tipping bed, so two functions more than we expect from the Raptor ;-)

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Minus the two functions mentioned previously, and a B-model.

I really hope it has a basic two or even three-speed gearbox; just something to flesh out that $250AUD price tag a bit

19 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Minus the two functions mentioned previously, and a B-model.

To be fair, the 42029’s B-model competes with 42070’s...

42 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

To be fair, the 42029’s B-model competes with 42070’s...

42029's B is the largest and most fully-featured forest skidder in the Technic theme, so no. Furthermore, I personally like 42070's B-model.

11 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

I wouldnt hold my breath, 2 speed gearboxes (3 doesnt make sense given current parts) could have been easily slid into just about every car recently released (42077, 96, 111, 125), but havent. Especially now that we have the blue 20z clutch gear, a two speed is incredibly simple, requiring only the input and output axles, but lego still doesnt bother.

Imagine TLG added all possible things to the model of each scale. Would we love it? Definitely! Would we purchase them? YESS! Would other customers (non-AFOL ones) purchase them for their kids? No! They won't pay a fortune for a smaller set.

So, each set of each scale and feature must meet its purpose - to be well-sold in its own category. Small and cheap sets for beginners, medium sets for advanced builders, big sets for fans why really care about gearboxes, authenticity, etc. And "18+" monstrous sets for really adult AFOLs who can allow spending their monthly salary for such a "big boys' toy".

Plus, the sets must no be too overcomplicated to repel the kids. The Defender was an amazing set for AFOLs but just look at the number of complaints of this gearbox even being assembled correctly. And, it t is a pure disappointment for younger people who "wanted this cool offroader" but struggle to put again and again that damn gears. For sure, the proper answer (for us) is "that go to the toys shop and buy any offroader model" but this answer won't work for TLG who obviously wants having their sets to be these "any models".

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

Plus, the sets must no be too overcomplicated to repel the kids. The Defender was an amazing set for AFOLs but just look at the number of complaints of this gearbox even being assembled correctly. And, it t is a pure disappointment for younger people who "wanted this cool offroader" but struggle to put again and again that damn gears. For sure, the proper answer (for us) is "that go to the toys shop and buy any offroader model" but this answer won't work for TLG who obviously wants having their sets to be these "any models".

The thing is, Lego slapped a 11+ patch on the Defender, but a 18+ patch on the Ferrari. It should have been the other way around. TLC always tried to broaden their audience and the thinking is: "gaining two new costumers and losing one is still a win", which is sad but makes total sense for a profit organisation.

As long as 2...5 good ones out of 15 models are out each year, the AFOL fan base is satisfied and won't rebell too much or drop the brand alltogether. As the car theme in technic runs well, I think TLC sticks with the plan of small, medium to big and premium vehicles sizes.

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

Imagine TLG added all possible things to the model of each scale. Would we love it? Definitely! Would we purchase them? YESS! Would other customers (non-AFOL ones) purchase them for their kids? No! They won't pay a fortune for a smaller set.

This isn't relevant to the Raptor since it's an 18+ set. The bean counters are just being shit with 18+ pricing... I'm looking at pictures of 4-speed gearboxes, and they could easily afford to throw in the ~200 extra pieces needed.

Edited by Bartybum

45 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

This isn't relevant to the Raptor since it's an 18+ set. The bean counters are just being shit with 18+ pricing... I'm looking at pictures of 4-speed gearboxes, and they could easily afford to throw in the ~200 extra pieces needed.

They could, but as @Void_S said this is not the target audience of the 18+ Technic sets. TLG started it with the 1:8 supercars, it was successful, but it was probably still too expensive and complex so now they started the low budget "adult" product line. Licensed, good looking (for non-hardcore Technic fans at least) and fairly easily buildable sets with the bare minimum functions, 99% will end up on the shelves anyway. They tested the waters with the Porsche 911 RSR, then the Ferrari 488 was the first to get the 18+ badge, and they continue with this new one. I would be really-really surprised to see anything else inside other than steering, suspension and a fake engine driven through the rear diff. I still love the look, but if you are looking for functions then check out the Technic sets with lower age ratings. 

53 minutes ago, kbalage said:

They could, but as @Void_S said this is not the target audience of the 18+ Technic sets. TLG started it with the 1:8 supercars, it was successful, but it was probably still too expensive and complex so now they started the low budget "adult" product line. Licensed, good looking (for non-hardcore Technic fans at least) and fairly easily buildable sets with the bare minimum functions, 99% will end up on the shelves anyway. They tested the waters with the Porsche 911 RSR, then the Ferrari 488 was the first to get the 18+ badge, and they continue with this new one. I would be really-really surprised to see anything else inside other than steering, suspension and a fake engine driven through the rear diff. I still love the look, but if you are looking for functions then check out the Technic sets with lower age ratings. 

I should clarify that I'm not expecting a gearbox - I'm just expressing my disappointment at the inevitable fact that they won't include one, despite that adding one should by all accounts be trivial for their wallets.

Edited by Bartybum

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

I should clarify that I'm not expecting a gearbox - I'm just expressing my disappointment at the inevitable fact that they won't include one, despite that adding one should by all accounts be trivial for their wallets.

It's a bit tragic considering what's been done in the past with 8466, for instance. This set would be ideal for that sort of setup.

3 hours ago, kbalage said:

They tested the waters with the Porsche 911 RSR, then the Ferrari 488 was the first to get the 18+ badge, and they continue with this new one. I would be really-really surprised to see anything else inside other than steering, suspension and a fake engine driven through the rear diff. I still love the look, but if you are looking for functions then check out the Technic sets with lower age ratings. 

Isn't that bright green Group C looking racer in this category as well?

6 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Isn't that bright green Group C looking racer in this category as well?

You mean 42039? I don't think so. For me the property that clearly separated the "new wave" from the old one was the removal of the HOG knob with 42096. Without HOG steering these cars are not playable in the classic way, no one will try to push them around trying to reach the steering wheel and navigate with it. 42077 and 42039 both had a HOG and even the rally car had some extra functionality with the opening rear section, and they both had decent B models. 

8 minutes ago, kbalage said:

42077 and 42039 both had a HOG and even the rally car had some extra functionality with the opening rear section, and they both had decent B models. 

In other words, they were Technic sets.

4 hours ago, kbalage said:

@Void_Syou are looking for functions then check out the Technic sets with lower age ratings. 

That's opossite what I was thinking when 18+ was brought to light, and there will be very mature and difficult models to build... yeah I know its sounds like good joke right now ;)

Maybe they should bring Racers Theme back?  for those type of models with almost no functions.

4 hours ago, Mane said:

Maybe they should bring Racers Theme back?  for those type of models with almost no functions.

I think they are mostly "shelfers" rather than "racers" now...

In my country, we have a special term for false SUVs and City-offroaders-like cars: parketnik (паркетник: a parquet сar) which meach the car that even looking big, oversized, so brute and powerful (similar to classing Jeep cars) can be driven only on a parquet-flat surface due to extremely weak engine, bad transmission (only FWD even) and other disadvantages. That's what I recalled when was thinking about this "shelfer" (a shelf car) wording...

Edited by Void_S

39 minutes ago, Void_S said:

I think they are mostly "shelfers" rather than "racers" now...

In the RC world those are called "shelf queens" (fully functinal restored vintage RC cars but too precious to run)

Edited by 1974

On 6/16/2021 at 10:19 PM, Bartybum said:

I really hope it has a basic two or even three-speed gearbox; just something to flesh out that $250AUD price tag a bit

Agreed, $250 seems a bit pricey for what you get. Considered that the introductory price for the Land Rover was $260AUD and it had another 1000 parts.

In saying that, I'm still gonna get it :)

4 minutes ago, MarkyMark42 said:

Agreed, $250 seems a bit pricey for what you get. Considered that the introductory price for the Land Rover was $260AUD and it had another 1000 parts.

In saying that, I'm still gonna get it :)

The Defender was $330AUD