LvdH

Technic 2021 Set Discussion

Just now, Erik Leppen said:

(emphasis mine). You're confusing thet terms "adult" and "AFOL". Adult builders probably referse to an audience not previously used to Lego, but with more cash to spend on toys than the average kid. Similar to the 21323 ideas piano targets adults.

That said, I'm really happy that (if?) pneumatics would make an appearance again. It's a much underused part of Technic.

Good point and I did stop and think about that before posting. But then I thought....well....adult builders probably refers more to AFOLs than it does to adults who are not already fans of Lego, as they are not builders. I didn't think it that likely that an adult who is not already a fan of Lego (an AnonFOL?!) would jump into a $450 set without having quite some collection already. But you still might be right. Maybe it's more aimed towards that middle ground of AFOLs that have only small collections. I also thought that it might be aimed at AFOLs that like to build sets only, and not do any MOCcing. But then I thought that a big, boxey bulldozer with it's simple functionality is probably the easiest thing to MOC anyway. So who knows. 

Now I'm not a spiteful person. I always want to see Technic sets selling well. And I would like to see more love for powered up/control+. But when they over saturate the potential buyers with flagships that are only ever PU and nothing else, I'm not sure that's the best idea. A PU/LA driven thing might be more appealing to me (42100 was quite appealing to me) if that wasn't the only flagships we had for several years in a row now. If all you ever ate was ice-cream, eventually you will hate ice-cream. And PU/LA isn't a flavour I preferred to start with!

If there is confirmed 6 sets for 2HY 2021, that will be the highest in recent years.

Since initially some we do not know what it is, we can discuss it using ‘successor’ method from previous model, as I noticed that TLG has been practicing this trend recently & quite systematic.

Example: 

1:8 UCS series in June
2016 —> 2018 —> 2020 —> 2022?

Flagship in October
Liebherr (2019) —> Bulldozer (2021) —> 2023?

Flagship in August
Every year until 2018 —> 2020 —> 2022?

License set in October
Land Rover (2019) —> 42126 (2021) —> 2023?

1:10 License set in January (1HY)
Porsche RSR (2019) —> Ferrari 488 (2021) —> 2023?

1:16 License set in January (1HY)
Covertte (2019) —> Senna (2021) —> 2023?

6 hours ago, Technicallism said:

If there is confirmed 6 sets for 2HY 2021, that will be the highest in recent years.

maybe the unknown one is the remake of Osprey. Otherwise there is no set with Dump-Batteriebox in 2021

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

47 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Compatible as in not interfering with other smart hubs or what? :)

Or we will get a PU-USB wire that can be connected directly to the phone & the app. Too bad it'd use 50% of the available ports :grin:

2 hours ago, R0Sch said:

88015 Technic Battery Box is available as of today for 30GBP / 35 EUR on lego website... it says compatible with Control+ App. Compatible as in not interfering with other smart hubs or what? :)
https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/battery-box-88015

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

Or we will get a PU-USB wire that can be connected directly to the phone & the app. Too bad it'd use 50% of the available ports :grin:

lol...

They could release an app for it where you can "fart" with a button but without the nasty joystick :D

4 hours ago, R0Sch said:

88015 Technic Battery Box is available as of today for 30GBP / 35 EUR on lego website... it says compatible with Control+ App. Compatible as in not interfering with other smart hubs or what? :)

Doesn't appear to be available in the US yet. I wonder if we'll ever get it, considering no US retailer received the 42113 for its unplanned release (I believe the US release was supposed to be a month later than the rest of the world).

1 hour ago, mkbryant said:

Doesn't appear to be available in the US yet.

It is, indeed, not there yet. I strongly think that you'll get it, 'cause every Lego RRP is in $. It would make no sense to prevent the USA from getting it.

2 hours ago, mkbryant said:

Doesn't appear to be available in the US yet. I wonder if we'll ever get it, considering no US retailer received the 42113 for its unplanned release (I believe the US release was supposed to be a month later than the rest of the world).

Nor Canada

33 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Jesus Christ $50AUD... what a joke

Yeah, Lego are starting to make Apple products look like seriously good value for money,

But what it really is? Just battery box with two physical switches, or is there something more really - some BT conntrolled logical section?

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

But what it really is? Just battery box with two physical switches, or is there something more really - some BT conntrolled logical section?

It is a battery box with 2 physical switches. For 30£...

2 hours ago, Jurss said:

OK, now I see the "problem". Power functions was some 7EUR, I think.

Yes, for 35 euros you could almost expect it to contain a rechargeable battery. Of course they would make you buy the charger for extra but, FFS it´s more than a four time mark up on the PF battery box, yet bigger and bulkier looking and with the two output device limitation. The only modest improvement is that there are more pin holes with which to connect it to beams.

I guess they want to help Bricklink parter outers start their pension plans as it is going to be way cheaper to buy sets on discount that no one wants (top gear car for instance) with powered up and control + parts and resell them separately or use the parts.

Edited by valenciaeric

On 1/20/2021 at 2:48 PM, R0Sch said:

Based on the 1 review left on the Lego webshop, it's not exactly going to assist sales, lol

On 1/23/2021 at 12:38 PM, Maaboo35 said:

Make that two reviews. :laugh:

lol, who would think a battery box review would turn into ongoing source of entertainment.....

10 hours ago, mortenm said:

Now there are no reviews *huh*

Well that's just rank BS on TLG's behalf. I think I'm done supporting them as a company. Only secondhand sets from now on for me.

Edited by Bartybum

1 hour ago, Andman said:

Very bad move. Now i have no trust anymore in rating of sets on their website...

Not a nice move I have to agree, but if you check the terms it is actually highlighted there:

In addition, if you wish to share feedback with us about product selection, pricing, ordering, delivery or other customer service issues, please do not submit this feedback through a product review. Instead, contact us directly.

They want people to submit a review based on a product they actually bought, and not their general opinion about the pricing or something else. There's a reason why a lot of online stores only let you submit a review with some kind of proof of purchase.

17 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Not a nice move I have to agree, but if you check the terms it is actually highlighted there:

In addition, if you wish to share feedback with us about product selection, pricing, ordering, delivery or other customer service issues, please do not submit this feedback through a product review. Instead, contact us directly.

They want people to submit a review based on a product they actually bought, and not their general opinion about the pricing or something else. There's a reason why a lot of online stores only let you submit a review with some kind of proof of purchase.

ah, so when they say 'review' (one of the key pillars of which is a commentary on the price), they're actually just lying through their dog teeth.

i see, it all makes sense now

ONLY NICE COMMENTS ALLOWED

we should buy one just to spite them

Edited by Bartybum

23 minutes ago, kbalage said:

That's probably fair enough. Any company wouldn't want "reviews" based on something they never bought because they don't like the price.

If that was the case i'd leave a negative review for everything, as nothing in life costs what I WANT to pay :laugh:

I found it highly unlikely that both of those reviews actually bought one. Especially the first one, which was placed on the same day it became available for sale. And did anyone actually read the reviews on the LEGO website before purchasing, instead of reading/watching Sariel, RacingBrick, Jim or whoever reviews sets regularly?