LvdH

Technic 2021 Set Discussion

Sorry, I haven't looked into it in detail, but:
All the unlicensed sets lay inside the small and lame Technic category? Or worse, only the smallest +pullback sets are unlicensed?

Edited by Lipko

25 minutes ago, Lipko said:

All the unlicensed sets lay inside the small and lame Technic category? Or worse, only the smallest +pullback sets are unlicensed?

Pullbacks are licensed. Otherwise yeah, only couple of small unlicensed sets.

But there are multiple 2H sets without any info yet, not even rumors so there you might find something larger unlicensed, though the largest ones probably will have licenses.

Technic has become a "licenced supercars (and some other vehicles)" theme, much in the same way as Architecture has become a Landmarks theme. It's not about the architecture anymore. Similarly, the biggest perk of the Ferrari is that it is a Ferrari. Besides that (and a few nice parts), it has nothing to offer. The functions it has (suspension, drive, steering) are also all present in this year's RC buggy 42124, which is a quarter of the parts and offers remote control.

Apparently, recognizability drives sales more than anything. Otherwise, this wouldn't have happened.

7 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

The functions it has (suspension, drive, steering) are also all present in this year's RC buggy 42124, which is a quarter of the parts and offers remote control.

The Ferrari's suspension is more advanced (independent in the rear), it has a fake cylinder engine, and is bigger with a more detailed body. Having said that, personally, the buggy is on my wishlist whereas the Ferrari isn't.

2 hours ago, Lipko said:

There is nothing lame about the versatile skid steer. I shall say good day to you, sir. :sadnew:

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

Technic has become a "licenced supercars (and some other vehicles)" theme, much in the same way as Architecture has become a Landmarks theme. It's not about the architecture anymore. Similarly, the biggest perk of the Ferrari is that it is a Ferrari. Besides that (and a few nice parts), it has nothing to offer. The functions it has (suspension, drive, steering) are also all present in this year's RC buggy 42124, which is a quarter of the parts and offers remote control.

Apparently, recognizability drives sales more than anything. Otherwise, this wouldn't have happened.

Or it's just easier for TLG to release car after car/real thing after real thing and not think of anything themselves. I mean, it's objectively more difficult to come up with an original spin on a non-licensed vehicle than it is to copy something that already exists.

4 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

There is nothing lame about the versatile skid steer. I shall say good day to you, sir. :sadnew:

Or it's just easier for TLG to release car after car/real thing after real thing and not think of anything themselves. I mean, it's objectively more difficult to come up with an original spin on a non-licensed vehicle than it is to copy something that already exists.

I said I haven't looked into it. IT was merely my general impression that Technic is shifting towards licenced good stuff category vs. the obligatory cheep just-get-over-the-design-phase category. I may be wrong, as I haven1t looked into it.

Edited by Lipko

Okay, more info we have now.

42126 - IP Vehicle 2021 - 149,99€ - Oct 2021

42128 - Heavy-duty Tow Truck - 149,99€ - Aug 2021

42129 - 4x4 Mercedes-Benz Zetros Tri.. - 299,99€ - Aug 2021

42131 - CAT D11T Bulldozer - 449,99€ - Oct 2021

Can someone explain what is IP-vehicle??

IP should be "Intellectual Property," right? So something licensed I suspect.

LEGO is pricing me out of Technic sets. As Pick a Brick gets better, I just have no interest in buying such expensive sets. Looking back, I though 8110 at $200 was crazy, and now it's increasingly common and middle of the range.

Edited by Thirdwigg

Heavy Duty Tow Truck should be the next one in the midscale truck lineup. At 149.99 EUR, it share the same retail price with 42078 and 42098. A 4-axle 1000-piece truck at that scale only costs 100 EUR, with reference to 42112. So I guess it either comes with a secondary vehicle, probably a car at the Corvette scale, or is motorized. The car can have a switch that lock and unlock the rear axle, so that when the axle's locked, the tow truck can properly demonstrate the towing function. And if it's motorized, then the Osprey battery box will finally return.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

1 minute ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Heavy Duty Tow Truck should be the next one in the midscale truck lineup. At 149.99 EUR, it share the same retail price with 42078 and 42098. So I guess it either comes with a second vehicle, probably a car at the Corvette scale, or is motorized. And if it's motorized, then the Osprey battery box will finally return.

Just speculation, but I totally agree with you!

Maybe a 42008 successor with a mix of LA and pneumatic?

Edited by mpj

Could the “IP Vehicle” be a successor to the Land Rover? It would release at a very similar date, right when the LR should discontinue production.

My guess for the IP Vehicle is that it's either a Bentley or an Audi.

These are the brands owned by VW Group.

VW-Group-Brands.jpg

Among the brands that have not been featured in Lego Technic, Audi and Bentley are probably the most well known. I have no idea what Seat and Skoda are. Scania and Man are truck brands, and there are two trucks in the lineup already.

Seat is a Spanish car manufacturer and Skoda is a Czech (Czechoslovakian) ditto.

If IP is concerning with VW and we had a rally car? Hm both Seat and Skoda have front wheel drive and I don't remember if there was a car with only front wheel drive (there are Skoda caravans with all wheel drive)...so I tip on M.A.N. or Scania...

Last year we had Ducati...

@Ngoc Nguyen the VW group limitation seemed to be only valid for the 1:8 supercars so far. TLG has several other car IPs used, just have a look at the Speed Champions line or the Land Rover from last year. If the rumors are correct CAT license will be introduced next year so they can easily sign new deals as well.

It could be any brand really. We have several brands in the Technic line alone that are not part of VAG, and there are a ton more in the Speed Champions series. I also find it interesting that it says ''vehicle'', and not ''car''. I remember back when the GT3RS speculation started it was labeled as an ''IP car''. But I guess it could be a translation thing...

2 hours ago, LvdH said:

Could the “IP Vehicle” be a successor to the Land Rover? It would release at a very similar date, right when the LR should discontinue production.

I think a successor to the Defender is likely. Lego has seen that licensed car models sell, so I think it likely that it may start offering 1:10 4x4s in alternating years, just like the 1:8 supercars.

2 minutes ago, LvdH said:

It could be any brand really. We have several brands in the Technic line alone that are not part of VAG, and there are a ton more in the Speed Champions series. I also find it interesting that it says ''vehicle'', and not ''car''. I remember back when the GT3RS speculation started it was labeled as an ''IP car''. But I guess it could be a translation thing...

I was thinking that it could be a plane or boat etc.. They are also classified as vehicles 

52 minutes ago, therealjustin said:

A 1:10 scale new Ford Bronco to go alongside the Defender? Yes please!

Don’t speculate, the information we have now is too limited.

For me, ‘vehicle’ can be car/non-car.
Since the title stated IP-vehicle 2021, i think something new model of vehicle to be release on 2021.

6 hours ago, kbalage said:

@Ngoc Nguyen the VW group limitation seemed to be only valid for the 1:8 supercars so far. TLG has several other car IPs used, just have a look at the Speed Champions line or the Land Rover from last year. If the rumors are correct CAT license will be introduced next year so they can easily sign new deals as well.

No doubt, TLG has been signed quite many new licenses & release more licensing sets recently compare older time. I think one of the reason is they do not want to invest resources to develop B-model anymore, which is the iconic advantage for TECHNIC theme since started.

No B-model for licensing set seems quite logical & best ‘excuse’ for complaining consumer ?

Edited by Technicallism

11 hours ago, Technicallism said:

Okay, more info we have now.

42126 - IP Vehicle 2021 - 149,99€ - Oct 2021

<snip>

Can someone explain what is IP-vehicle??

TLG has used the term "ip-vehicle" in retailer solicitations to refer to any kit based on a property thst they don't own - another '"IP". Not much to go on until NYTF or Nuremberg TF, if I were to suspect.

I really liked the Land Rover so I'm not opposed to a successor. Being a car guy the rest of the 2nd half sets don't really interest me at all.

If the timing was better they could have made a new Ford Ranger (ute, pick up, truck, depending on where you're from) and it's a shared platform with the next VW Amarok. Could have killed made something a little different and still appeased the IP :)