LvdH

Technic 2021 Set Discussion

It's the same price as the Liebherr! It has to have something more than C+ to be more interesting than the Liebherr.

I hoped for a less expensive set with only one motor and pneumatics.

To be a decent dozer would have to have 8 functions, pivot suspension and of course tilt function but being a Lego set I do not count with suspension nor tilting, long ago I achieved them all on my Komatsu D575 and the tilt function it is a real headache.

Komatsu D575

2 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

What about a properly executed subtractor mechanism in the drivetrain, instead of the standard '1 motor for left track, 1 motor for right track' approach... Properly suspended tracks with tensioners and all... This would indeed justify the assumed procepoint, but I have come to be a bit cautious to let a pricetag drive my expectations for functionality of a new set... I'm not even considering pneumatics at this point (hoping: YES, expecting: no...)

I also thought about having a subtractor instead of skid steering and proper suspension for the tracks would indeed be interesting. But yeah, there are hopes and dreams and then there's reality, which is sometimes disappointing.

Btw., wasn't Liebherr R9800 the largest shovel-type excavator in the world? And apparently Cat D11T is the largest bulldozer in the world? Are we getting a pattern here?

Oh great, I was wanted to have a bulldozer & a backhoe in my collection after missed 8275 & 8455.

Is this must be done in yellow colour scheme?

Since same price as Liebherr, I expect another 4k pieces part count.

Edited by Technicallism

8 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I suppose (if info is correct) this will be 3rd flagship in a row that uses Control+

This is a no need to question about.

When Lego invest so many resources to develop Control+ and they’re planned to replace the old PF, you should have expected to see them every wave, and every flagship set maybe.

I could see it needing six motors, so two hubs will surely be needed. Going off the Liebherr’s price of $750AUD, $700AUD (400€ + 10% GST) seems expected for a 4k set with one less motor.

I really don’t think they’d go to all the effort of adding a subtractor or track tensioners, considering the Liebherr didn’t have either.

If this bulldozer is to be done properly, then it should have at least 6 functions.

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

Btw., wasn't Liebherr R9800 the largest shovel-type excavator in the world? And apparently Cat D11T is the largest bulldozer in the world? Are we getting a pattern here?

This pattern has been apparent since 2014. L350F is the biggest loader in Volvo's loader lineup. BWE is the biggest land machine. A60H is the biggest hauler in Volvo's hauler lineup.

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

If this bulldozer is to be done properly, then it should have at least 6 functions.

This pattern has been apparent since 2014. L350F is the biggest loader in Volvo's loader lineup. BWE is the biggest land machine. A60H is the biggest hauler in Volvo's hauler lineup.

So what about biggest & most powerful backhoe loader next? :)

With the Caterpillar licensing line up now, it could be possible probably in next couple of years?!

2 hours ago, Technicallism said:

So what about biggest & most powerful backhoe loader next? :)

With the Caterpillar licensing line up now, it could be possible probably in next couple of years?!

It was my exact thought. Volvo and Liebherr do not produce backhoe loaders, but Cat does :excited:

I see also a Cat motor grader in the horizont (is the Cat 24 motor grader big enough?)

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

42055 isn't based on any real machine.

3 minutes ago, howitzer said:

42055 isn't based on any real machine.

Yes it is. It's based on a type of compact BWE.

40142-2839683.jpg

compact-bucket-wheel-excavator.jpg?h=800

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Yes it is. It's based on a type of compact BWE.

<snip>

It wasn't licensed nor did it even try to replicate faithfully any real machine than I know of. 42055 is based on Sandvik PE100 as much as 8448 is based on a contemporary Ferrari. As in, the model shares some of the basic characteristic of the real counterpart by the virtue of being in the same category of a machine. Yes, both have the bucket wheel and the basic shape of the frame is somewhat similar, but both cars too have 4 wheels and the basic shape of the chassis is somewhat similar, but still there is huge differences too, like the location of the counterbalance and location of the operator's cabin. You could even argue that 42028 is also based on the Cat D11T as they have lot in common than in 42055 has to a real machine.

1 hour ago, mpj said:

Volvo and Liebherr do not produce backhoe loaders

Volvo does produce backoe loaders.

14 hours ago, LvdH said:

The set number is 42131, so that basically confirms there will be six sets for 2H21. 

Not really. In 2014 the 1H flagship ends at 42025, but the next set in 2H starts at 42028. There hasn't been any year lately in which there are 6 sets either. I would expect 4 sets.

42128: Something small and unusual or rarely featured in the Technic lineup. Price should be <100 EUR
42129: Something 1000-ish pieces
42130: Something 1500-ish pieces
42131: Flagship.

Let's look at the patterns. I excluded the supercars.

2015: 42040, 42041, 42042, 42043
2016: 42053, 42054, 42055
2017: 42068, 42069, 42070
2018: 42079, 42080, 42081, 42082
2019: 42097, 42098, 42099, 42100
2020: 42111, 42112, 42113, 42114

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

58 minutes ago, Milan said:

Volvo does produce backoe loaders.

No, they did produce them 10 years ago or more, but they don't produce them anymore.

(At least they are not listed in their product range)

Edited by mpj

2 hours ago, doughnut said:

How do they know?

TLG does extensive research and they have over 80 years of sales figures. They probably know what sells and what not. 

17 minutes ago, mpj said:

No, they did produce them 10 years ago or more, but they don't produce them anymore.

I just looked it up and found this from 2014:

Göteborg, Sweden – As part of the Volvo Group’s efforts to improve profitability and reduce costs, Volvo Construction Equipment will discontinue development and production of its current product line of Volvo-branded backhoe loaders and motor graders. In the future, these products will instead be manufactured by Volvo CE’s Chinese company SDLG.

I don't know if they still make backhoes, but if they do they're branded as SDLG and not Volvo.

30 minutes ago, mpj said:

I just looked it up and found this from 2014:

Göteborg, Sweden – As part of the Volvo Group’s efforts to improve profitability and reduce costs, Volvo Construction Equipment will discontinue development and production of its current product line of Volvo-branded backhoe loaders and motor graders. In the future, these products will instead be manufactured by Volvo CE’s Chinese company SDLG.

I don't know if they still make backhoes, but if they do they're branded as SDLG and not Volvo.

Yep, they were discontinued in 2015, and the production was transferred to their other company in China.
But yeah, I agree that even though its their company, it may not be called Volvo Backhoes anymore.

No need to so particulate about the terms, or something that said by someone. We always do not know what will happen from Lego until it happened.

Well, today is the review embargo for the next wave sets, let’s enjoy!

Why still can’t search the video?

Edited by Technicallism

6 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Not really. In 2014 the 1H flagship ends at 42025, but the next set in 2H starts at 42028.

What about the pullbacks 42026 and 24027? I think they are from 2014 1H. My point is there was no "gap" in numbers between 1H and 2H in 2014.

Just now, kolbjha said:

What about the pullbacks 42026 and 24027? I think they are from 2014 1H. My point is there was no "gap" in numbers between 1H and 2H in 2014.

Oh you are right. I didnt know that the pullbacks are placed after the 1H flagship in terms of set number. All this time I've thought they come before it.

6 hours ago, Jim said:

TLG does extensive research and they have over 80 years of sales figures. They probably know what sells and what not. 

I doubt they have sales figures on a mechanical calculator - they never made it, did they? Anyways, we're going into off-topic now, although I am intensely curious about how TLG makes sets (the process), so if you have any recommendations on book/documentaries/websites - feel free to drop them to me!