LvdH

Technic 2021 Set Discussion

47 minutes ago, abkdt41 said:

Lego needs to come out with a big technic set like 42100 in 2021

2020 was very dull

Yes it will.

From what i seen at the Ferrari 488 GTE on the new arch & new arch extension part, i can foreseen a big, iconic, classic & pretty construction vehicle is coming at 2HY, probably in new color too. For instance, a teal or turquoise with DGB..

Personally i hope it will come at least once a flagship backhoe loader or bulldozer in my life, but I don’t want to turn my wishlist into speculation...

Let’s see what it is in next couples of month.

My expectations for the 2H are also pretty high, as the 1H appears to have a pretty good lineup after all, with all the new parts and stuff. 2020 indeed was pretty dull, and 2019 we had the Liebherr which was way too expensive for me to get, so I hoping for something new and interesting for the latter half of 2021.

36 minutes ago, howitzer said:

My expectations for the 2H are also pretty high, as the 1H appears to have a pretty good lineup after all, with all the new parts and stuff. 2020 indeed was pretty dull, and 2019 we had the Liebherr which was way too expensive for me to get, so I hoping for something new and interesting for the latter half of 2021.

Honestly I have just few expectations for 2H - tractor tires 81mm and 95mm which could be perfect if they (TLC) even reincarnate 8284 set for that purpose, combine harvester with front 95 and rear 81 would be a dream come true, but whatever set TCL makes with those tires I'll be happy and go for tires

15 hours ago, abkdt41 said:

2020 was very dull

For the past few years I got less Technic sets mostly because they became too big and too expensive. And there was an article on Bricket discussing this issue, where increased number of larger sets doesn't always bring more fun and profit. And I like to have variety of sets rather than just few biggest ones. Reasonably sized (and priced) sets for 2021 looks very nice at the moment. 

Edited by zux

8 minutes ago, zux said:

For the past few years I got less Technic sets mostly because they became too big and too expensive. And there was an article on Bricket discussing this issue, where increased number of larger sets doesn't always bring more fun and profit. And I like to have variety of sets rather than just few biggest ones. Reasonably sized (and priced) sets for 2021 looks very nice at the moment. 

The yearly flagship sets are usually released in the second half and the first half sets are generally smaller and cheaper. I believe the huge set trend is TLG answering demand, as the same is happening with other themes too. Small sets haven't disappeared though, and there's usually some nice small to midsize sets every year so I don't think the huge flagships aren't a problem really. 42100 was sort of over the top of course but it was also a technical demonstration of Control+, similar to 8275 in 2007 when PF was released. This year's Volvo hauler already showed that the new system can be adapted to somewhat smaller sets too, and I believe this will continue in the second half of 2021.

14 hours ago, zux said:

Not to mention that there is a limit to the medium of technic elements, the Chiron had noticable flex in its chassis with just its own weight to support, same goes for 42082 for instance.

3 hours ago, vectormatic said:

Not to mention that there is a limit to the medium of technic elements, the Chiron had noticable flex in its chassis with just its own weight to support, same goes for 42082 for instance.

I don't think the Chiron or RTC are really near the limits of ABS plastics, it's more a design flaw. 42055 is extremely sturdy for its size and geometry, especially the base is basically a brick as far as elasticity goes. Studded bricks could be used to make even more rigid constructions but it appears they have been phased out completely except for some very special places like the boom of the RTC.

I don't think weight is the limit. I built a 15 kg Go Card which can easily support and drive a 60kg person. It's all about redistribruting stress onto several bricks evenly. Heck if I had enough technic pieces and motors, I could probably build a 1:1 scale driveable vehicle, the biggest problem would be the wheel bearings and the wheels tehmslves, not the frame/chassis.

Sorry for going off topic.

1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

I don't think weight is the limit. I built a 15 kg Go Card which can easily support and drive a 60kg person. It's all about redistribruting stress onto several bricks evenly. Heck if I had enough technic pieces and motors, I could probably build a 1:1 scale driveable vehicle, the biggest problem would be the wheel bearings and the wheels tehmslves, not the frame/chassis.

Sorry for going off topic.

Off topic but agreed!

10 hours ago, vectormatic said:

I agree with others.  The flex is not due to ABS limits.  In fact, I have 42056 and Chiron on my shelf at the moment.  42056 has a lot more flex than Chiron.  I also have @Didumos69's hammerhead supercar and there really is not any flex (also a 1/8 scale car).  His build prided itself on may angles to provide strength to the frame and he succeeded wonderfully.  Chiron's flex (which like I said I think is at least better than 42056) is due to poor design, not ABS limitations.  

Edited by nerdsforprez

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Chiron's flex (which like I said I think is at least better than 42056) is due to poor design, not ABS limitations.  

Calling it poor design may or may not be accurate. By this, I mean that sometimes structural compromise is required to achieve more functionality. My models see this a lot, since I am rarely willing to sacrifice the internal space for a strong frame when I could use it for functions instead. This may not be the case with this set (perhaps it could have achieved all reliability, and functional goals while being significantly more rigid), in fact, it likely could have been stronger, but it is possible (though unlikely) that it was the best setup possible.

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Calling it poor design may or may not be accurate. By this, I mean that sometimes structural compromise is required to achieve more functionality. My models see this a lot, since I am rarely willing to sacrifice the internal space for a strong frame when I could use it for functions instead. This may not be the case with this set (perhaps it could have achieved all reliability, and functional goals while being significantly more rigid), in fact, it likely could have been stronger, but it is possible (though unlikely) that it was the best setup possible.

Yea, it was not the best.  AFOLs dramatically improved on the design (chassis and other parts) within weeks (days??).  I get your point, but don't think it applies with the Chiron.  No surprise here, I'm no apologist for TLG - but I don't think they really ever create an optimal design.  I get it - I think I have a different take on things than most.  I don't even think it is in their best interest to lord over details the way AFOLs do on many Technic models. 

9 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Yea, it was not the best.  AFOLs dramatically improved on the design (chassis and other parts) within weeks (days??).  I get your point, but don't think it applies with the Chiron.  No surprise here, I'm no apologist for TLG - but I don't think they really ever create an optimal design.  I get it - I think I have a different take on things than most.  I don't even think it is in their best interest to lord over details the way AFOLs do on many Technic models. 

Sorry for going off topic...

I believe that they didn't make the optimal chassis on that Chiron because they wanted to create the "marriage". A completely useless feature. Because of that idea, the connection between the front and the engine isn't that great...

33 minutes ago, chlego said:

A completely useless feature. Because of that idea, the connection between the front and the engine isn't that great...

Might seem useless for you, but that set (and all the 1:8 cars) is more about the building experience and less about the functions.

12 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Might seem useless for you, but that set (and all the 1:8 cars) is more about the building experience and less about the functions.

Unfortunately. It'd be nice if more of the 1:8 sets followed the way T-Lego does it, with a clear defined chassis first, and bodywork afterwards. Without the bodywork the Sian's just kinda shapeless and square. Perhaps Uwe didn't get access to see the chassis, but I'd like stuff like this to change. After builing T-Lego's Centenario, building a clear defined chassis first felt amazing

3 hours ago, kbalage said:

[the marriage] might seem useless for you, but [42083] is more about the building experience and less about the functions.

For a set so focused on building experience, I would say 42083 didn't exactly deliver. The whole set had a lot of dead weight with superfluous liftarms everywhere and an overall incoherent design (the gearbox was a mess) that wasn't at all enjoyable to build. But oh well. it's not about 2021. I think just prefer 1:9 or 1:10 scale cars than those huge 1:8s, so maybe the new Ferrari will be a nice base to mod. :)

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Unfortunately.

I do agree. I love cars with an immense amount of features, and the "form follows function" devise.

Just now, Erik Leppen said:

the new Ferrari will be a nice base to mod. :)

I bet it'll definitely be

On 11/25/2020 at 12:40 PM, aussie_huddo said:

Yeah I hear ya. As a fellow Aussie its a bit annoying that we always get screwed on prices and the value of the dollar but that's a whole other discussion.

Yep another Aussie here, luckily I'm not in a hurry to get them and will be waiting for the sales. I got a bloody Osprey for less than the Ferrari

17 minutes ago, MarkyMark42 said:

Yep another Aussie here, luckily I'm not in a hurry to get them and will be waiting for the sales. I got a bloody Osprey for less than the Ferrari

Lol I know right, what the hell is this BS pricing logic

On 11/27/2020 at 11:00 PM, nerdsforprez said:

So reading through this thread, I was wondering what the fuss was all about... I recently built the Chiron, and it's sturdy as a tank, but operates smooth as butter. Very impressive, zero complaints. But then I realized, I only built the pimped version. I guess y'all really did make substantial improvements! Yey fellow AFOLs! :grin_wub:

On 11/25/2020 at 8:46 PM, abkdt41 said:

2020 was very dull

I totally understand that the 2021 wave might look more interesting than 2020 sets, but I still wouldn't call 2020 dull. The standout sets from 2020 are probably Lamborghini and Volvo

26 minutes ago, Technicallism said:

On right top in box of max-d this set has B model.

But what?

6 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Huh, I don’t recall pullbacks being 2in1 by themselves before, exciting!

2020 pullback sets would like to have a word with you.