LvdH

Technic 2021 Set Discussion

7 hours ago, Coolusername said:

Hmm, i hoped it has 4wd, but now if it has steering i don't think it has 4wd...

11 hours ago, Gumalca said:

While I do believe that it will have suspension, I'm more concerned about a fake engine. Because if it really has live axle suspension there won't be much space under the hood for a fake engine, as the model is really not big. Independent suspension would leave more room for a fake engine.

Yes, I doubt that there will be an engine or any sort of drivetrain. While this would be great, and is certainly possible in a fan model, I would expect the suspension to be prioritized in this model, being an off-roader and all. Both drive and suspension would be best, but if it comes down to one or the other, I would prefer the suspension. After all, there really isn't much technical complexity in an undriven piston engine, but it is at least moderately challenging to get dual live axles in a vehicle this size.

17 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

but it is at least moderately challenging to get dual live axles in a vehicle this size.

Since it is small and light model theoretically it could use soft axles as leaf springs for suspension...but whatever TLC will make it will be cute lil' Jeep.

3 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I would expect the suspension to be prioritized in this model, being an off-roader and all.

I do not. Lego has shown over and over again that they value engines more than suspension

7 hours ago, AVCampos said:

The 42001 is tiny, so it wouldn't fit an engine anyway. The 8465 is nearly 20 years old so I'm not sure I'd count it. I suppose my bias is rather from the scope of the 42093-42098 scale vehicles, and that smaller scale suspension is in general so rare nowadays (which was why I was so happy about 42102)

Well, we had the official announcement for 1HY 2020 last year at 18-November-2019.

Assume we have the same period this year too, there are just 3 weeks away, patience guys.....

22 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Since it is small and light model theoretically it could use soft axles as leaf springs for suspension...but whatever TLC will make it will be cute lil' Jeep.

I suppose they could use those, but my guess is that it not durable enough for an official set--those flex axles can pop out at the ends relatively easily. Also, it wouldn't be as realistic, since all Wranglers since 1997 have had coil springs all around. Either way, though, would make a cool set! This is probably my favorite 2021 set we have seen yet!

Just now, 2GodBDGlory said:

I suppose they could use those, but my guess is that it not durable enough for an official set--those flex axles can pop out at the ends relatively easily. Also, it wouldn't be as realistic, since all Wranglers since 1997 have had coil springs all around. Either way, though, would make a cool set! This is probably my favorite 2021 set we have seen yet!

Agree

The Jeep Wrangler honestly seems to be about as military-related as the Osprey was. Although the Jeep is best known for military uses in WWII, there have been military versions of both the TJ and JK generation Wranglers. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler_(TJ) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler_(JK) Look towards bottom of each article). Don't tell Lego, though!

But there is a civil version all over the roads, so I do not see any problem here...

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

The Jeep set is a Rubicon, not a Wrangler. As far as I know, the Rubicon is a civilian model.

"Rubicon" is jut a trim level for the Jeep Wrangler series, the most expensive and off-road capable (discounting limited editions). While there is a military variant of the Wrangler (Jeep J8), very few of those have been produced compared to civillian variants.

7 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

The Jeep Wrangler honestly seems to be about as military-related as the Osprey was. Although the Jeep is best known for military uses in WWII, there have been military versions of both the TJ and JK generation Wranglers. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler_(TJ) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler_(JK) Look towards bottom of each article). Don't tell Lego, though!

I don't think it's the military version...

I didn't mean to say that the model was of the military version, I simply meant that it, like the Osprey, is a model of a vehicle, in civil trim, that is also used as a military vehicle. Though, on second thought, I see what you (I_Igor and Kaanere) mean; that the Wrangler's military variants are almost entirely overshadowed by their civil ones, while the Osprey would tend to be mostly military.

24 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I didn't mean to say that the model was of the military version, I simply meant that it, like the Osprey, is a model of a vehicle, in civil trim, that is also used as a military vehicle. Though, on second thought, I see what you (I_Igor and Kaanere) mean; that the Wrangler's military variants are almost entirely overshadowed by their civil ones, while the Osprey would tend to be mostly military.

Yes that was what I was writing about :wink:

Now to start counting until official confirmation :laugh:

I wonder what functions the Lego Jeep 42122 set will have. It obviously should have suspension as a tribute to the Jeep reputation, but will it have a piston engine and a drivetrain?

7 hours ago, Evan-Eleven the Engineer said:

but will it have a piston engine and a drivetrain?

When dreaming, close Your eyes. This is not the scale.

Not agree.

4x4 is only useful if RC, a manual model has nothing to do with it.

So, IMHO this sel will have

- rear Wheel drive,

- a factice micro engine (as we are used to see now),

- suspensions.

S.

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

When dreaming, close Your eyes. This is not the scale.

I suppose that the Corvette also wasn't the scale?

@Bartybum the corvette doesnt have a proper piston engine, i think that is what Jurss means.

As for features in general, i dont expect anything more then the corvette, that way i might be positively surprised rather then disappointed, realisticly i dont expect proper piston engines, and while 4x4 might be an option in the scale, that pretty much rules out front suspension imho, as i dont see an official lego set fitting suspension, steering and drive in that width/size.

And im probably in the minority here, but im way more interested in the McLaren, wondering if it brings anything new to the table, or if it is just a corvette reskin.

1 minute ago, vectormatic said:

@Bartybum the corvette doesnt have a proper piston engine, i think that is what Jurss means. 

Yeah fair, that I'd agree with in that case

Yes, that is what I'm meaning.

As I wrote before, I think there won't be even steering. There could be some suspension, maybe with one shock absrober on each axle. 

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Hey @Jurss, if there is no drive in the front of Jeep and just a steer axle, do you think they will use a three-link suspension like the Lego Technic 42043? That way they could use the rear axle drive to spin the piston engine while having steering at the same time. I agree with @steph77, the Jeep is going to have:

4 hours ago, steph77 said:

- rear Wheel drive,

- a factice micro engine (as we are used to see now),

- suspensions.