LvdH

Technic 2021 Set Discussion

21 hours ago, Leewan said:

Lego need those simple sets as a way to get people who aren't familiar with the Technic system to discover it and eventually buy more similar sets. If all the sets were really complex, sure it would please longtime, hard-core fans, but it might drive potential new customers away.

42102 mini Claas, 42092 helicopter, 42075 first responder, 42079 forklift, 42057 hleicopter, 42045 hydroplane, 42049 mine loader, 42032 tracked loader, 42035 dumper, 42021 snowmobile, for me are all examples of good introductory sets but still good Technic sets with a decent function-to-size ratio. Those work best as Technic. But as you may notice, most of them are construction-type vehicles. Cars have "looks" as part of their design much more than construction vehicles, and therefore, naturally lend themselves better to a build style that can focus on looks more, i.e. System. Yes, the Aston Martin was a miss, but in my opinion the Beetle, Mini, Fiat500, Ferrari and Caterham are all very well done, so a lot is possible.

( see https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=2&catString=36&sortBy=Y&sortAsc=D&catType=S  )

I guess opinions differ, but I just fear that Technic slides down to becoming a car theme, instead of focusing on the vehicles that lend themselves best to the essence of Technic: those with many moving parts, like loaders, excavators, cranes, and vehicles with suspension and gearboxes. I, after all, find myself buying almost no Technic sets lately, the most recent large set being the Bugatti...

On 9/14/2020 at 5:28 PM, Jundis said:

Yep. Merge this with the creator expert series cars and it's a win-win. Nice looking display models with some little functions. 

Hm, what's exactly difference between Lego Team and Creator Expert cars?

Steering? It's available in Ford Mustang.

In other aspects the big cars have evolved at the same degree as the other Lego themes (considering new parts, technics etc.).

For me the difference between the Technic cars and Creator Expert cars lie in the concept of "broad strokes." Technic cars never attempt to fully mimic all of the edges and curves and subtleties. They only use panels sparingly to create the most distinctive lines, and some leaps of imagination are required when one is viewing a Technic car. This is also why some MOC Technic cars, despite using the same Technic panels fairings, look jumbled. Creator Expert cars, on the other hand, go for the details in the shape.

Wait, what? I look away for 5 minutes and we have info about 2021 Technic sets already?

Oh wait, these all look boring. I am not optimistic. Why does it feel like Lego is trying to turn Technic into the old Racers theme. I'm all for entry level sets and diversity, but this year, I feel like we didn't have that many good Technic sets. Like that garbo stunt bike set. I really think that Lego should bring back the Racers theme, for pullback and other car models, and have that be a stepping stone between regular and Technic sets. I think there's enough room in the market for that. I'm also still a bit sore over Lego canceling the Osprey, because of a group of activists who probably hate all kinds of boys toys anyway. I think Lego giving in to them is a bad move, but I also don't think it's something to argue about here.

Another thing I find kind of weird is the way some sets with Control+ are priced. Some cost what you'd expect a set of the size to cost, while others cost a lot more. Why can't all the C+ sets cost the same amount as a normal set? Also, I'm slightly bitter, because Lego could have done that with PF sets to, but didn't, for whatever reason.

I need to see some pictures. I don't have high hopes, but that means I probably won't be as disappointed.

5 minutes ago, keymaker said:

Anyone, anything? I found something like this:

800x444.jpg

At least it's not a F1 bolid.

Edited by Parazels

18 minutes ago, keymaker said:

Just a video thumbnail from a guy who's looking for extra clicks but still has the exact same list that you saw in the this topic. 

21 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Just a video thumbnail from a guy who's looking for extra clicks but still has the exact same list that you saw in the this topic. 

That's a shame, I thought it is some valid indication about Ferrari model.

Edited by keymaker

On 9/15/2020 at 5:14 AM, scynox said:

I hope not, I would prefer other colors.

also why do you say 2022? we had 42110 at 2019 and Lambo at 2020 so why not another big licensed set for 2021? maybe Ferrari is a set to align with Land Rover but not 42096? is Land Rover not considered UCS?

Agree with you on the purple, but everyone will have their own preference on colours. 

The Land Rover is not a UCS set even though it has similar or more part count than the Porsche. I put it on the same level as my Porsche, Bugatti and soon to be Lambo 

2 hours ago, keymaker said:

800x444.jpg

I'm not fully in the recent Ferrari models but this one looks very close to a "Stallone" concept.

2 hours ago, keymaker said:

That's a shame, I thought it is some valid indication about Ferrari model.

Lego would't teaser with showing a real model anyway.

9 hours ago, Parazels said:

At least it's not a F1 bolid.

7 hours ago, Void_S said:

I'm not fully in the recent Ferrari models but this one looks very close to a "Stallone" concept.

That's a LaFerrari, but if that source is unreliable, that's not going to help us.

That is a lot of license, a corvette sized Jeep and McLaren and a 42096 replacement ferrari

The 18+ label confuses me though, unless it isnt on 42096 scale and more like this 

, i dont see any complexity justifying 18+ happening.

Looking at the list, I hope there is at least 1 vehicle that fits the 42098 car transporter. 

And following on from that, is the 42098 car transporter being retired? If it is then I hope we get another mid size truck & trailer model. 

I think they make good models

20 hours ago, Tazmancrash said:

Looking at the list, I hope there is at least 1 vehicle that fits the 42098 car transporter. 

Considering the pieces and the price, both the Wrangler and the McLaren should be in scale for the transporter. Although the McLaren will have problems with the ramp I guess...

6 hours ago, Snazzy Bricks said:

Can't wait for the Senna!

803 Pieces for around $60? nice!

I don't think these prices are really confirmed. The Jeep has 140 pieces less and will cost the same? Maybe the Senna has tracks ... just joking :head_back:

6 hours ago, Gumalca said:

I don't think these prices are really confirmed. The Jeep has 140 pieces less and will cost the same? Maybe the Senna has tracks ... just joking :head_back:

Perhaps there will be a US price difference...

On 9/23/2020 at 9:39 AM, Gumalca said:

The speed champions lineup this year already shows that when licenses are involved, all logic goes out the window (two jaguars > €40, two lambos > €60), but i cant really see Jeep commanding a higher license fee then McLaren

Perhaps the senna has more system style pieces to make up curves and details, versus large (bespoke?) panels on the jeep?

On 9/23/2020 at 9:39 AM, Gumalca said:

The prices provided are usually correct. Maybe the McLaren will be very system heavy, or the Jeep will have large tyres, both of which can impact the price.

Edited by LvdH

hydraulic?

really?

like fluids in the cylinder?

if that is the case that is the most exciting news.

1 minute ago, J_C said:

hydraulic?

really?

No just the naming of the device.

Real hydraulics are way to complicated for use in a toy.
High pressure (relative) leaks, messy.
And ABS is not really a material for use with higher tensions that come with it

Pneumatics are forgiving, a problem results in a SSSSSSSS.
Hydraulics not, a problem results in a mess.

1 hour ago, J_C said:

hydraulic?

really?

Faux hydraulic is more likely

When this set only comes with this part and a simple rod instead of a tilting mechanic, we really can say goodnight to functions on technic models:
53586.png