LvdH

Technic 2021 Set Discussion

55 minutes ago, GoldVillage said:

True, worse year ever! 6 cars lol... this shit belongs in lego city or in model team. Next year we should DEMAND 6 excavators, or 6 wheel loaders, or 6 cranes, or 6 tractors etc etc etc (u got the point)

Anything less wont be tolerated

Honestly I'm not so much about which type of sets, but machinery is more playable and the main reason not being mad about cars is that cars I really like (and what I imply under cars) are not possible to be done with current parts / panels, since raindrops are very difficult to be replicated with LEGO. But I confess that tractors (with proper tires) and cranes are more desirable IMHO.

Regards

(just one thought - I would be very happy if we got 8284 set with proper tractor tires as a non-flagship set in summer and it could be red, blue, whatever...)

True, I like machinery / so called construction vehicle. Hope no more ‘car’ in 2HY.
Remember I ever did a summary of the flagship from the past and 2020 I did correctly.
I categorised them as truck / construction vehicles / crane / others

Truck = Anything in truck model, exp: crane truck, tow truck, container truck/hauler, etc...
Construction vehicle = Excavator, bulldozer, wheel loader, backhoe loader, tractor, etc...
Crane = Just crane
Others = Something not in the above category, off-roader, etc...

Yearly Flagship set:
2005 - Crane
2006 - Truck
2007 - Construction vehicle
2008 - Other
2009 - Truck
2010 - Construction vehicle
2011 - Truck
2012 - Other
2013 - Crane
2014 - Construction vehicle
2015 - Truck
2016 - Construction vehicle
2017 - Truck
2018 - Crane
2019 - Construction vehicle
2020 - Truck
2021 - (If this trend is good enough, crane should be come again too early, and shouldn’t a second year of truck in a row, so very likely a construction vehicle or others)

Edited by Technicallism

Well, I'd have considered 42114 more as a construction vehicle than a truck.

No offence, whatever you liked to call.

For me, any type except another ‘car’ would be fine as long as look good, but I more interesting about the colour scheme this year.
Hope lego did another rare colour set this 2021 year like they did last year on the Land Rover, I just have a strong feeling & would be very happy they did a set with turquoise, 42117 might be a hints.

Edited by Technicallism

I probably say this every year lol, but I don't care what the subject matter is, I care about how well it's been done. A supercar with the same old unrealistic gearbox? Pass. A knackered old van, but with a realistic gearbox and new leaf springs on the rear live axle? Yes please! 

Note, I don't actually want a knackered old van, it was just an example, and yes, some things have the potential to be better sets than others. A backhoe has far more potential than a van, but that doesn't necessarily mean that any backhoe they produce will be great if that potential isn't met. 

Edited by allanp

9 minutes ago, allanp said:

I probably say this every year lol, but I don't care what the subject matter is, I care about how well it's been done. A supercar with the same old unrealistic gearbox? Pass. A knackered old van, but with a realistic gearbox and new leaf springs on the rear live axle? Yes please! 

Note, I don't actually want a knackered old van, it was just an example, and yes, some things have the potential to be better sets than others. A backhoe has far more potential than a van, but that doesn't necessarily mean that any backhoe they produce will be great if that potential isn't met. 

I am thinking similarly, though I still prefer when we get themes that I am interested in.

2 hours ago, allanp said:

You really do have a point there, though I don't expect new, more realistic gearbox designs anytime soon (it would probably require a lot of new parts) so we're stuck with the same supercar done again and again with different exteriors. That's why I'm hoping for more machinery, even when it leaves something to be desired functions-wise, because at least they still have _some_ functions unlike fast cars. Offroaders are somewhere in between, they often have some interesting functionality, though for example the new Jeep seems pretty lazy out of the box, it could've been so much more like the improvements thread showed.

I'll just say that I like cars, motorsport etc so for me I like all the cars they do. In saying that I do like other themes as well as it gives my wallet a rest :classic:

They do seem to alternate yearly with the flagship sets though don't they? So i would be expecting some type of construction vehicle or the like in the second half of 2021. If the 2nd half of next year is largely non-car related then it would even the count and if that were the case, maybe Lego should have split the car releases up between 1HY and 2HY

On 12/12/2020 at 9:33 AM, GoldVillage said:

6 excavators, or 6 wheel loaders, or 6 cranes, or 6 tractors

I really wonder why can't we have at least one mechanical calculator or drawing automaton. You can do so many fun things with clockwork

On 12/13/2020 at 2:06 AM, Technicallism said:

2016 - Construction vehicle

42055 is a mining machine, not a construction vehicle

The buggy looks like a $50 set. I could see $80 due to the electronic components but $130 is a joke. I don't see it selling whatsoever at that price. 

47 minutes ago, doughnut said:

I really wonder why can't we have at least one mechanical calculator or drawing automaton. You can do so many fun things with clockwork

Because that doesn't sell (well enough).

14 minutes ago, dhc6twinotter said:

TechnicBricks Facebook page is saying the 2H flagship will be a CAT D11T bulldozer.  Price about 439.99 euro. 

I suppose (if info is correct) this will be 3rd flagship in a row that uses Control+

Prices always drop by 30% so the set will become more affordable in a few months...

I'm glad that Cat license is also coming in Lego Technic line!

For that price it had better be the best set ever, and not just in Technic but in all of Lego. Whatever the contents, even with like 30% discount it's still really expensive.

So yeah, can't see myself spending that much on a single set, especially considering that I already have 8 PU-compatible motors and the RI hub, which enable me to build practically anything there's worth building.

(With the above being said, I guess that price could be justifiable if there were in addition to the PU parts a lot of pneumatics, including the new switches and many long cylinders and perhaps a multi-cylinder compressor. But somehow I suspect there won't be any pneumatics at all.)

32 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

I like Lego and dozers but not enough to spend more than 400 euros, they are getting insane more and more...

I agree.  The price seems high for something that doesn't really have that many functions.   

10 minutes ago, howitzer said:

(With the above being said, I guess that price could be justifiable if there were in addition to the PU parts a lot of pneumatics, including the new switches and many long cylinders and perhaps a multi-cylinder compressor. But somehow I suspect there won't be any pneumatics at all.)

The Facebook post did mention Pneumatics, but that sounded more like wishful thinking rather than fact.  Personally, I don't see pneumatics and control+ ever being offered in the same set, but I'd be very happy to be proven wrong. 

Love the idea for a bulldozer, but expected a way cheaper set...

Hmmm... re-issue of 8275, but with a licence and C+ instead of generic and PF. 8275 was a shockwave at the time, first Technic (IR)RC set. It was a great set (and still is today imho), but I can't see a similar type of vehicle being good enough to justify €400+. So it is either overpriced (duhh...) or two scales larger than necessary to accomplish the functions (duhh again...). And I don't think it will hit the level of detail of Sheo's CAT D11T dozer for example to justify that price.

But enough with the complaining, it is really great to see a CAT license. Together with the Liebherr and Volvo licenses, TLG has enough IP-potential to (re)spawn loads of interesting and recognizable construction/heavy industry machinery in the coming years. I like cars most of all things, but I am also sensitive to 'balance', and I hope this additional license can restore the balance in the line-up in the future to a healthy mix of subjects and sub-themes.

A bulldozer ay?! Well it's like I said in my previous post, it doesn't matter what it is, it's how they do it. A bull dozer doesn't really offer that many functions, but it could still be worth it if it's done really well. The first RC pneumatics perhaps? The use of the new planetary gear reduction hubs for drive? All very possible. And for me would go a looooong way towards justifying the price.

But now would this be an Allanp post without some crazy wishful thinking?! What else could there be that would really make it mind-blowing? Oh I don't know. How about a new 6 barrel axial pump about the size of an m motor! Or how about instead of mating valves to motors we get a new compact PU valve!

3 minutes ago, allanp said:

What else could there be that would really make it mind-blowing?

What about a properly executed subtractor mechanism in the drivetrain, instead of the standard '1 motor for left track, 1 motor for right track' approach... Properly suspended tracks with tensioners and all... This would indeed justify the assumed procepoint, but I have come to be a bit cautious to let a pricetag drive my expectations for functionality of a new set... I'm not even considering pneumatics at this point (hoping: YES, expecting: no...)