Project Inkfish

[MOC] Spec Ops U-wing

I set out to build a U-wing that had been highly customized for a small rebel intelligence / special operations team. My inspiration was both Ryder's U-wing (and Inthert's build) and this one by Adam Alpern:

PC050017

For scale I decided to stick with size of the official set as I already have a modified version of the official set that I am happy with and the LEGO windscreens work really well at this size. I am not a fan of built built windscreens/canopies. 

50331041277_fabf4642fb_b.jpg

• I decided to move the upper canopy forward to give the ship a more aggressive look.
  • Two beefier engines have also replaced the original four.
  • The forward skeleton wings are equipped with blasters, searchlights, and long range communication antenna.
  • The starboard side wing holds a heavy blaster cannon pulled from a T-47 Snowspeeder
  • Slung under the wings are two proton torpedos and a cargo container on the port side and a nano missile pod on the starboard side. 

50330869226_90b2cafd84_b.jpg

50331041182_670ac30f13_b.jpg

50330868946_c1ea8029f8_b.jpg

50331041227_25b7bb837c_b.jpg

Just waiting on a B&P order to build her up. 

Edited by Project Inkfish

On 9/12/2020 at 10:04 AM, sandtrooper said:

This is a really nice build.  You really captured the details of the model pictured above.  Do you have any plans to build it with actual bricks?

Thanks. Yes I am ordering parts now. 

Wow, very beautifull ship and interesting construction technic. The color balance is very beautifull

Let me suggest these proposals for the next step, I know that could be a big challenge but may be not much:

- try to tilt the white border wings (I don't know how to say in english this area), this would be more accurate with the model exposed and should bring the reactors a little bit down

I think it could give more aerodynamics's design

May be simply use a method like in this model:

75281.jpg?fit=bounds&format=jpg&quality=

- Another step could be to create some landing gear:

db339e303be5bd14820effc89b5a4232_S.jpg

- finally, the left pipe don't finish on anything, may be you should return the last piece (bar 5L with handle) or put a tap with nozzle end

Looks great, I love the little ground crew ancillaries as well, they're a great complement to the ship!

The only suggestion I would have is to break up the white a bit more, maybe with some tan or sand blue pieces - it still looks quite clean at the moment, although that might be personal preference.

On 11/16/2020 at 10:31 AM, macaron35 said:

any plan to release the building instructions ?

I second this, you could totally sell the instructions.

I love the physical build, of course the structural mods and new weapons are amazing, but what really makes this moc is all the minor details you've thrown in. I love the little missile rack and that mailbox piece the guy is putting a datatape into being used on the u-wing. The figures themselves are great too, and I've already thrown that nano missile pod design onto one of my bounty hunter ships. This almost gives off a star wars rebels or bad batch vibe, sort of a heavily modified ship for an elite but not super official group that works almost as a family.

I would also love to see more greebling like Inthert's and it would be really really great

Ryder's U-wing (Top View)

btw, what's the percentage of pieces used from the official u-wing set to build up the ops version ?

is it worth buying the official u-wing first ?

I never wanted the u-wing in the first place, too white, too long, too big compared to other resistance ships, but the ops one really has something special

On 11/22/2020 at 7:28 AM, macaron35 said:

I would also love to see more greebling like Inthert's and it would be really really great

Ryder's U-wing (Top View)

btw, what's the percentage of pieces used from the official u-wing set to build up the ops version ?

is it worth buying the official u-wing first ?

I never wanted the u-wing in the first place, too white, too long, too big compared to other resistance ships, but the ops one really has something special

I have the U wing set and I think you don't need to catch it to realise this moc, clearly different approach. It's not a lovely set because you'r right, too white and blue, a very big window under and the doors are not easy to use... And I don't talk about the design with this under cockpit not really well integrated.  What's interesting is the fact that you could play with the wings, that's all for me.

On 11/24/2020 at 9:21 AM, MAG85 said:

Nice customized U-Wing and well presented.

I also like your MOD of the classic Lego U-Wing.

Thank you!

Thank you everyone else for the compliments and ideas. I may try to integrate a little more greebilng into the model. Instructions are in progress, it is a very tedious process in Stud.io.