Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Witch's Shanty

Witch's Shanty

Some say that the Phantom Rider was awaken by an anciant Indian curse, while others believe him to be the evil spirit of a long lost miner. The truth regarding the Phantom Rider's true identity may be found within the desert near a horrible old shack...

Along the desolate tracks leading out of Grave Stone, within the Valley of the Dead, a quiet little shanty stands alone in the desert. Within its rotten wood, lives an old witch, known to few by the name of Millicent Clemens. What spells does she conjure with her book of black magic, and what evil does she call upon to do her bidding? The mysteries of her magic rest within the caldron outside the Witch's Shanty, waiting to be summoned.

witchshantyx500.jpg

Brickster, this is another great addition to your Grave Stone Theme. :blush:

Seriously, I did not know that Wild West had a thing or two related to Witches. However, I am impressed by the way you blend the witch with your theme.

These are some of my thoughts on your latest addition. The tree's structure is well done. It has a very sturdy look. Ok, It's not exactly look like a typical tree filled with leaves, but you filled it with bats instead. Very eerie indeed, suited for the Gravestone theme! :wink:

Now, let's take alook at your sweet little house for our new resident "Millicent Clemens". She has a very good taste. Her red roof is well done. It mixed well with the rest of the structure to illustrate the wooden old luster house which is laying back in the desert. I love the house very much, nice and cosy if its not inhabitated by witch. :laugh:

Lastly, your photoshop effects is very good. It simply brings across the key effects of the whole creation. The Bats, lights, flame and etc are some small little details that you have take note. Well done again! :thumbup:

The tree's structure is well done. It has a very sturdy look. Ok, It's not exactly look like a typical tree filled with leaves, but you filled it with bats instead. Very eerie indeed, suited for the Gravestone theme! :wink:

Thanks for your comments WhiteFang. You're a great MOC reviewer and I always value your feedback. I wish I can take credit for the tree, but it's from the HP Graveyard Duel set. I don't have many brown slopes to have made much of my own creation, so just added the already designed tree. In any case, thanks again.

WhiteFang is right, this a great addition to Grave Stone! :thumbup:

This is the kind of thing I love seeing from you, it's so spooky! :oh::laugh: Secondly, your Photoshop skills are great! You wanna teach me sometime mam?

This is very spooky. Great work here TheBrickster, I love the colours used for the house and the grey bricks up the chimney section. Those large panels are great for roofs, I like that you've used printed ones. The witch herself is very nice, I was expecting a typical black clad witch but was pleasantly surprised. The skeleton in the cauldron is a very cool touch, I love the photoshop effects you've used for him, and the house, makes it like a real set.

I love the backstory to this one as well, tied in with the phantom rider. If there was one thing I don't like about it, is that I think it should say the truth "might" be found as opposed to "may" be found as it sounds a bit more like a definitive origin, which for me ruins a bit of his mystery.

As usual, I love the little details, like the spare wheel and bats. I think in the right foreground corner there should be something though, that space is a little too empty for me.

As for the idea I love it, I never thought a witche's shanty would fit in Gravestone, but it fit in fine. Great work and thanks for sharing.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Thank you all for the feedback.

Seriously, I did not know that Wild West had a thing or two related to Witches. However, I am impressed by the way you blend the witch with your theme.
The witch herself is very nice, I was expecting a typical black clad witch but was pleasantly surprised.

As for the idea I love it, I never thought a witche's shanty would fit in Gravestone, but it fit in fine.

The witch came out nothing like I wanted her to. I really wanted the all-black look, with perhaps a black hood as opposed to the classic witch's hat. I didn't have the black "dress-piece" and the hood piece is burried with my castle sets in the garage, so made do with the HP parts I had handy.

The Backstory: I think it should say the truth "might" be found as opposed to "may" be found as it sounds a bit more like a definitive origin, which for me ruins a bit of his mystery.

"May" is not a for sure either, unlike "would", "will", or "can". I generally choose my wording pretty carefully not to reveal too much or speak in definites. - but I didn't realize many follow the story. It's nice to know.

Thanks for your comments WhiteFang. You're a great MOC reviewer and I always value your feedback. I wish I can take credit for the tree, but it's from the HP Graveyard Duel set. I don't have many brown slopes to have made much of my own creation, so just added the already designed tree. In any case, thanks again.

Although, the tree is a part of HP Graveyard Duel set, but you have taken the tree out and incorporate successfully into your Witch's Shanty set. Therefore, I feel that the credit taken is not more for building that pre-designed tree, it's reflected more on your creativity to make use of existing-sets (parts) and merged it as one MOC of your own. :sweet:

Brickster, thanks for your very very kind comments too. :blush:

WhiteFang is right, this a great addition to Grave Stone! :thumbup:

Indeed, it is! It's a surprise to have a witch in Grave Stone. :tongue:

Edited by WhiteFang

your Photoshop skills are great! You wanna teach me sometime mam?

Thanks ExoBuilder. I'm getting better with my Photoshop skills as well as photographing techniques. I think good photos and background really help the overall appearance of the MOC. I need to look at some new backgrounds now.

A great story with of course a great WW MOC, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I really like the gloomy atmosphere with the bare tree, the bats, the house and the fire with the big pot on it! :thumbup: Perhaps the roof of the house would have been better in red or brown colors - because now it looks a bit corny - and that's a pity because it takes away all the "daekness" of your great MOC. :sceptic:

Can we see some pics of the interior, too? I mean: The witch surely has a big chimney (perhaps with a secret entrance to get in and outside her house without somebody knowing) inside, a table with a chair, some magic books and some other stuff like a rat, a brush to fly, ..., hasn't she?! :wink:

Klaus-Dieter

A very charming building and a well fitting spooky tree indeed, although it looks a little more like a house than a rough shanty,

perhaps due to the solid chimney and the massive red roof that looks like it´s made of ceramic tiles. Nevertheless, it´s really

neat and well done, but I think it doesn´t look very frightening with all that pretty colorful image editing.... the bat eyes and

the green magical lighting on the tip of that wand would be enough for me to do the job.... :grin:

Perhaps the roof of the house would have been better in red or brown colors - because now it looks a bit corny - and that's a pity because it takes away all the "daekness" of your great MOC.

Honestly, I like the red roof. I thing it gives it a bit of character. I got the idea from the red roof plates used on Fort Legoredo. I'v been building Grave Stone MOCs for a few years now and am tired of always using black roofs. I thought the bit of extra color added to the design.

Can we see some pics of the interior, too? I mean: The witch surely has a big chimney (perhaps with a secret entrance to get in and outside her house without somebody knowing) inside, a table with a chair, some magic books and some other stuff like a rat, a brush to fly, ..., hasn't she?!

I didn't build an interior, although there is a fireplace with mantle. If I do so, I'll share a picture or two. I did have something in mind.

it looks a little more like a house than a rough shanty, perhaps due to the solid chimney and the massive red roof that looks like it´s made of ceramic tiles. Nevertheless, it´s really

neat and well done, but I think it doesn´t look very frightening with all that pretty colorful image editing.... the bat eyes and

the green magical lighting on the tip of that wand would be enough for me to do the job.... :grin:

I had a feeling that the red roof would generate some comments like this. See my comment to KD above re. the roof. In regard to the lighting effects, I wanted to capture the look of some string lights that people (like old Millicent) would hang on the porch. I thought they were a nice touch, but didn't want to give the appearance of Christmas lights. In any case, I appreciate your feedback Asuka and value your review.

Wow. I never expected witches in the Wild West! :laugh: Very creative!

Thank you FT. I've been wanting to add a witch to the Grave Stone collection since mentioning her in one of my older MOCs, the Spooky Shack.

Here's the story:

Near the outskirts of town, not far from the desolate town of Grave Stone, a spooky old shack stands next to a dead black tree. It is rumored that someone or something was burried under that old black tree years ago before the gold in the hills that surround Grave Stone went dry. Harold Axewood, a rugged mountain man, lives in the spooky old shack. Some say that Harold was once married to a woman by the name of Millicent Clemens and that he drowned her in the well near his shack, burrying her in a shallow grave under the old black tree. Her spirit haunts the shack and she can sometimes be seen as a witch flying above the tree.

No one visits Harold Axewood anymore, but on any given day, he can be found chopping wood outside the Spooky Shack.

Thank you FT. I've been wanting to add a witch to the Grave Stone collection since mentioning her in one of my older MOCs, the Spooky Shack.

Here's the story:

Near the outskirts of town, not far from the desolate town of Grave Stone, a spooky old shack stands next to a dead black tree. It is rumored that someone or something was burried under that old black tree years ago before the gold in the hills that surround Grave Stone went dry. Harold Axewood, a rugged mountain man, lives in the spooky old shack. Some say that Harold was once married to a woman by the name of Millicent Clemens and that he drowned her in the well near his shack, burrying her in a shallow grave under the old black tree. Her spirit haunts the shack and she can sometimes be seen as a witch flying above the tree.

No one visits Harold Axewood anymore, but on any given day, he can be found chopping wood outside the Spooky Shack.

I knew that I had heard that name before! So she is not dead, I take it?

So she is not dead, I take it?

Actually, she is; as are most villains in Grave Stone. Without getting into a lot of concept re. Grave Stone and the denizens of the town, the witch serves as a symbolic representation of the evil female force, who opposes the power of the undead outlaw and "traditional" gunslingers. She represents an evil spirit seeking vengeance, a sensual allure, and the wisdom of an aged woman. I think witches bring an entirely different kind of evil to the story. Some of these aspects can not be written in or represented by the typical "cowboy" persona.

Actually, she is; as are most villains in Grave Stone. Without getting into a lot of concept re. Grave Stone and the denizens of the town, the witch serves as a symbolic representation of the evil female force, who opposes the power of the undead outlaw and "traditional" gunslingers. She represents an evil spirit seeking vengeance, a sensual allure, and the wisdom of an aged woman. I think witches bring an entirely different kind of evil to the story. Some of these aspects can not be written in or represented by the typical "cowboy" persona.

Oh. So, in short, the people at Gravestone have an undead, most likely unkillable, witch on their hands? Ah hell, I'm glad I don't live there.

very nice- can you show use some inspiration?

Are you asking me to share the inspiration behind this/other Grave Stone/Ghost Train MOCs?

Another fantastically eerie MOC with an awesome, haunting back story. :devil::thumbup:

~Peace