TechnicBrickPower

NEW 2 Speed Automatic gearbox - Smooth and Compact - has this been done before?

Hi All,

I have created a new design for a 2 speed automatic gearbox that is both smoothly switching and compact. The best of both worlds. I don't know if my new (for me) technique has been used before so welcome your feedback.

Very compact solution and great video to explain the working as always!

Looks similar to the solution Lego designers created for the 8094 Crane (complete instructions) way back to drive boom arm extension and lift with a single motor.

You can't 'reverse' either one of the functions because reversing the motor engages the function that was not engaged before. 

065.jpg

Very nice gearbox! It's impressive that it doesn't skip or grind under load despite containing all the small bevel gears.

By the way, that's an interesting way to install an L-motor in the CAD model part of your video. :classic:

Good work! You seemed to successfully combine parts from your previous designs to create a smooth, compact gearbox that, with the right reinforcement, could be very usable in a MOC.

I find that with Technic progress is often evolutionary, where one makes something, learns from it, makes something better, and continues learning and improving designs. That's why so many of my old models were so pathetic!

On 9/12/2020 at 12:14 AM, emielroumen said:

Very compact solution and great video to explain the working as always!

Looks similar to the solution Lego designers created for the 8094 Crane (complete instructions) way back to drive boom arm extension and lift with a single motor.

You can't 'reverse' either one of the functions because reversing the motor engages the function that was not engaged before. 

065.jpg

Thanks Emiel! My Lego Technic experience doesn't go back that far. That looks interesting - I will have to study it more to understand how it works! :classic:

On 9/12/2020 at 8:58 AM, lmdesigner42 said:

Very nice gearbox! It's impressive that it doesn't skip or grind under load despite containing all the small bevel gears.

By the way, that's an interesting way to install an L-motor in the CAD model part of your video. :classic:

All I can say is "oops". :blush: