There were always problems with the drivetrain when trying to pull heavy loads.

It went up to 12kg total weight (transformer transport) but only with a crack.

Now I've used the new diffs and nothing cracks anymore, even with more weight.

The Actros weighs 2.9kg, the module 1.6kg, the shovel tooth 4.6kg, the large brick 2.7kg and the small 0.33kg, making a total weight of 14.6kg

33 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

That's an impressive pull. Are you using direct drive from the diff and how many driven axles?

it's an 8x4, tho motors are mounted between the steered axles. In the 5x7 frames is a transmission (20:12) and than the 90° angle is implemented by knob wheels.

The Axle ist from Grego's Granite, i changed the central transmisson to 16:16, in combination with the new diffs you only need the first transmission.

Than it's the same ratio as the XL mounted direcly to the old diff.

Here you can see the version before changing the diffs.

800x450.jpg

It's not shown complete, so look here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Huwi/actros-slt

Edited by HUWI

I love when lego is mixed with rc, to have the model you want (body) but with much better performance. How come the u joints can handle the torque? I i use one xl direct to a u joint/driveshaft it instant snaps

You need a transmission to get more RPM and less torque on the shaft.

You can flange the engine directly to the old diff, the truck would be too slow on the new diff. But the new diff is more stable thanks to whole gears and it has more gears in the cage.

Here you can see the new drive with the 20:12 Transmission

800x450.jpg

By using the old Diff you need a higher transmission with 24:8 and a reduction (only a scheme) 8:24 in the axle.

800x450.jpg

Because the T28 isn't full material it cracks. On Exhibition it's normal and diffs are consumables. With my special heavy load also the T12 bevels crack. See the result...

800x450.jpg

8 hours ago, HUWI said:

See the result...

Ooops...

Otherwise beautiful build, love it.

The model can pull 14+ kg? That's impressive.

23 minutes ago, chlego said:

The model can pull 14+ kg? That's impressive.

The pull was here 9.7kg, the tractor with counterweight weighs 4.9kg, so the total weight is 14,6.

My Road Train with 4 trailers weighs 15,6 kg and has the same drive train.

For those who wondering why the Actros has to pull 9kg...

1280x720.jpg

I only have two efferman-modules the side girder bridge is concepted for two double modules. The backwards module ist steered by PU and a linear actuator.

800x450.jpg

One beer crate was pulled, but i thing that killed the diff...

800x450.jpg

Great work. I also like the large-scale transportation scene very much. I also made a trailer and transformer, hoping to complete it smoothly.

变压器3

变压器2变压器1

On 9/9/2020 at 12:03 PM, HUWI said:

You need a transmission to get more RPM and less torque on the shaft.

You can flange the engine directly to the old diff, the truck would be too slow on the new diff. But the new diff is more stable thanks to whole gears and it has more gears in the cage.

Here you can see the new drive with the 20:12 Transmission

By using the old Diff you need a higher transmission with 24:8 and a reduction (only a scheme) 8:24 in the axle.

Because the T28 isn't full material it cracks. On Exhibition it's normal and diffs are consumables. With my special heavy load also the T12 bevels crack. See the result...

I think you can increase the efficiency of the driveline in several ways:

1. Use a row of 24 tooth gears without gearing up from the PU motors - This will reduce the number of gears

2. Use CV joints from 42099 to transfer the torque to the axle - They are currently the strongest joints

3. Use a new diff and a 12 tooth gear powered directly from the CV joint

Using these steps you will reduce the number of gears by at least 2 and increase the efficiency.

EDIT, I missed the updated setup photo, I see you did most of those steps.

Edited by Zerobricks

11 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Use CV joints from 42099 to transfer the torque to the axle - They are currently the strongest joints

That's right, but with the other two steps you don't need it. The universal joints turn smoother.

I forgot to tell, the schemes are the PF setting, but i had no PF XL in storage. The right ratio for PU is still not testet, i'll do it after the exhibition in Berlin next week...

11 hours ago, HUWI said:

That's right, but with the other two steps you don't need it. The universal joints turn smoother.

I forgot to tell, the schemes are the PF setting, but i had no PF XL in storage. The right ratio for PU is still not testet, i'll do it after the exhibition in Berlin next week...

From my experiences PU L and XL motor have basically same performance - same as PF L motors.

2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

same as PF L motors.

Yes, so the PU XL is a bit faster than the PF. I'll check it with my F700, it's PU, but with the old diff.