AViewToALego

Sets that makes your highly emotional?

Hello all you brickers out there! This thread is dedicated to sets that later on in your life had a strong emotional impact on you. It could be nostalgia, it could be the sheer joy of opening a new MISB-set for christmas or anything of that nature. In this topic we indulge ourself in the sentimentality with these sets.

Let me start!

When i grew up in the 90's, every now and then me and my mother went to our local McDonalds. It was the time when they still had those blueish iron chairs and you would usually get polybags in Happy Meals and occationally get LEGO. In 1994 or 1995, I don't remember exactly, I got the 1649-1, the Sea Skimmer. Strange, because when I look it up, it was released in 1989, but no, this was in the 90's! This set makes me emotionally fragile, it's a combination of the fact that it's so darn cute but also the innocence of it. The child-me building this small little set with my fry-greased fingers, completely lost in time and space with my mother. An era that will never return.

Sure, I'm completely in love with 6271 or Eldorado Fortress or Imperial Outpost but nothing compares to this cutie. Just look at it. Isn't she a beauty?

Now what sets makes you emotional? Share with us!

1649-1.jpg

I love all the ideas sets, especially the space-related ones. They are just creative in general and we rarely see sets like that.

Edited by JintaiZ

6927 All-Terrain Vehicle which I knew by its alternative name Mobile Tracking Station. I got it in 1981, the year it was released. It was among my last LEGO sets before a long hiatus. I would not return to LEGO until the early ‘90s.

I remember when I got it showing my mother the smooth, hydraulic-like lifting and lowering action. I thought it was pretty cool - and still do! My mother gave it away along with the rest of my LEGO to charity a few years later, but I recreated it in 2014 from parts I had plus ones I obtained on the secondary market:

atv_a_full.jpg

atv_b_lab.jpg

atv_c_transporter.jpg

atv_d_minifigs.jpg

For me, it started with one of my first sets:

603 Vintage car:

603-3.jpg?200910120633

A few years later I got my first "minifigures" in 

485 Fire Truck:

485-1.jpg?201109081247

And this was the kit that brought my dark age to a close:

8480 Space Shuttle:

8480-1.jpg

I've enjoyed a lot of kits over the years, but these are the ones that really stand out as landmarks in my personal lego history.

My first set was only in 2015 and it was the 10247 Ferris Wheel. I found it a bit challenging but I was very happy with the end result. I can never choose a favorite set but it's a really, really strong contender!!

The starting point of all Lego castles - set 375 is my all-time favourite which I got as a Christmas present in 1980 or 1981.

Edited by The Reader

I'd have to go with the 2005 City Construction Site.  7243.  It was the first "big" set I ever owned (I know, I'm on the younger side of EB!) and I remember distinctly having my mother help me order it online and waiting anxiously for the next few days/week as it shipped.  I still have it, with box and instructions, and don't think I could really part with it.  

For me, 928 Galaxy Explorer probably is up there, even while it wasn't my own set, it defines my love for Classic Space.

On 9/28/2020 at 10:03 PM, Chilis said:

Every set with the original Light&Sound system, OMG :pir-love:

Very true. I remember as a kid my mother took me to legoland in Billund. We got the ferry from Newcastle to Denmark. My mam bought me the 6780 lego space set at Legoland. I have memories of building this set on the return ferry journey. 

I have a strong attachment to Benny’s spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

I was never able to get the larger Lego sets growing up, so this was the first “big” set I ever received. Since then, I’ve gotten many big sets over the years but I have a soft spot for this one. It was a much simpler time back in 2014 and I suppose that this set represents that era of my life to me. 

A more obvious reason as to why I care about this set so much is my love for The Lego Movie itself. Not only is it my favorite animated movie of all time, it’s legitimately one of my favorite movies in general. I loved all of the characters, but Benny was one of the standouts for me. The scene where he finally builds his spaceship is one of my favorite little moments in the film. Naturally, I wanted to have this spaceship in my life too. (I was disappointed that Benny didn’t get another spaceship set with the second movie.)

And despite it only being three years ago, I have a lot of nostalgia for The Lego Ninjago Movie line of sets. I personally believe that it is the greatest theme Lego has ever produced and it’s the closest I’ve ever gotten to completing an entire line of sets. The only ones I’m missing (excluding polybags and things like that) are the Garma Mecha Man, Volcano Lair, four of the CMFs, and Ninjago City Docks. If all that wasn’t enough, these sets also came out during the height of my Lego passion (2017 and 2018) so this theme reminds me of the time before I got somewhat burnt out on Lego last year.

10252 beetle made me VERY emotional
Building on a sunday with my wife
When we were bagset 3 doing we missed the one parts after the other...
It turned out that the &^*^&*(&()* had put in a wrong little partsbag in it...
I cursed lego...
77 parts short in difficult colors and a load of other parts that I didn't need
So I ordered them at missing pieces dept...
and they cancelled it, it was too much
So i cursed them this time from the planet
Phone... took half an hour waiting... (while cursing)
Took me an age to explain that I had a load of wrong parts and that they made a packing mistake

Another person jumped into it...and finally understood what happened and send me the parts
plus 750 vip points for the fuzz

For me it might have to be Starfire-1.

6820-1.jpg

After my dad died, my Mom started hanging out a bit with his cousin, who was a nice older lady and sort of a temporary grandmother figure to me. We all went to the local mall together one day, the lady bought me this toy. I was blown away because it was hard enough to get my Mom to buy me anything, yet this lady who I barely knew had no problem getting it for me. I wall always remember that lady and her name.

Also, I miss that mall toy store. They moved out of the mall and then eventually closed shop. I wish I had like a video tour of that place I could watch every once in a while.

On 10/18/2020 at 10:29 AM, JaBaCaDaBra said:

10252 beetle made me VERY emotional...It turned out that the &^*^&*(&()* had put in a wrong little partsbag in it...

Ha! Wasn't expecting an angry story! Glad you finally got your pieces!

I'm not a Technic fan so this might seem like an odd choice, but: 42093 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1.

42093_alt1.jpg?fit=bounds&format=jpg&qua

I worked at a LEGO Store for just over five years and built over a hundred different display sets during my time there, and this was the last one I ever built. It's also the last LEGO build I ever showed to my dad, who was a huge Corvette fan and who passed away a few months later.

Set 3181, this is the set that got me back into the hobby.  Few years back got a few lego sets for the kids, I was really not that interested.  Purchased this set used locally.  Holding it in my hands brought all the fun back from my childhood.  

My family now has a good collection of Lego now, this is still my favorite.  While most of our sets are collecting dust, this one is still swooping1

image.jpeg.ee110e3618c7e5dd7dc9d4b89131ba13.jpeg

I think I have a few more. In real life order.

My dad got me this set from a yard sale some time in '84ish.

6929-1.jpg

He also got me All Terrain Vehicle and Space Cruiser in the same lot. I totally loved All Terrain Vehicle (good pick @AmperZand!) but Starfleet Voyager was the first one I put together and, well, it's an awesome space ship so it will always be my "first" Space set. Though I didn't get any boxes I did get the manuals AND the catalogues. Good god, the catalogs. I pored over them as a kid. I studied them, and fantasized about owning all the sets. Also they were in French/Italian so it just made everything more mysterious to me.

Next is Alien Moon Stalker.

6940-1.jpg

This is the one "big" set my Mom got me after my Dad died that wasn't from a yard sale. I mean, it's clearly amazing. Just look at it! The deep emerald windscreens, the walking dinosaur like design, the dual rockets, and bendy-arms! I loved the bendy-arms!

Then came the big set my Aunt got me for my 8th birthday.

6392-1.jpg

This was by far the biggest set I'd ever had, and I was absolutely floored that my Aunt got it for me. This was probably the most expensive present I received in my life until this point. I loved the helicopter most, and loved spinning the rotor and "buzzing" the tower. Hmmm...maybe I should call my aunt!

Last was the set my older sister got for Christmas '88.

6932-1.jpg

She was a waitress so she had tip money to get good presents! She actually got me this and the Blacktron Battrax. The presents were wrapped and under the tree well in advanced of Christmas, so I was able to measure both boxes and cross reference them with everything on the shelf at the local toy store! I knew what both were, and proudly announced both to her out loud before unwrapping each. It was kindof a d*ck move, but hey I was 10. But I LOVED the sets. I mean, look at the Stardefender. The deep sapphire canopies, the dual side pods, the icy white mandibles. It's so good! Battrax was no slouch either. It was Blacktron so it was automatically awesome.

Well that was fun. Thanks for the thread, @AViewToALego!

The little anubis tomb, which opens  when you pull on a spear connected on a chain (5983). It had an audio tape with it. It was one of my first sets and is a big part of why I am such a history nerd today.

Edited by Gorilla94