Sign in to follow this  
icm

[STUD.IO] The dread pirate William's revenge

Hi, everybody - 

I build a lot of models in Studio but I rarely post them to Eurobricks because most of them are simple copies of other people's builds that I like.  I'll usually copy the outside, making whatever changes I like as I go, then build up the interior structure.  This pirate ship, in contrast, is entirely my own design - well, except for the hull, which is modified from 21317 Steamboat Willie.  But I haven't seen anybody else build a pirate ship based on that hull, so I'll count it.  Comments and criticisms are very welcome; I know very little about masts and rigging for sailing ships, or really anything else about them.

When the Ideas team tackled the Pirate Bay, they found that the fan model was unworkable as a set because it had such a huge footprint (48x64), relied on a huge raised baseplate that's been out of production since about 2009, used obsolete masts that have been out of production since about 2001, and relied on old narrow hulls that have also been out of production since 2001.  Rather than strictly keep the original concept of a large, tall island with a large building and a small shipwreck, they decided that the easiest thing to do to preserve most of the features of the building and also keep the spirit of the thing (which was just to be "the ultimate Pirates set") was to make the entire building be parts of one big shipwreck, sitting on a relatively small, low island.  During the weeks of speculation leading up to the release of the Pirate Bay, some forum users speculated that it would come with parts to restore the shipwreck into a complete ship and sail it away - what a great idea! - but they didn't expect the whole thing to be restored into a sailable ship, leaving nothing behind.

My goal is to redesign the Pirate Bay to keep almost all of the features of the original submission on a 32x64 (two baseplate) footprint without using all those obsolete parts.  I'll be taking a lot of liberties with the design as I go, but it'll be fun to see the result.  The first part of the project was to design the small ship that will then get turned into a wreck.  It uses about 900 parts.  It features room for two cannons, a detailed cabin, a moving rudder, a windlass for the anchor, another windlass and yardarm for the crane/bosun's chair, a crow's nest platform, and a f'o'c'sle deck.  The sail configuration is intended to resemble that of the 1996 Armada Flagship, but I suppose it could be easily modified to something else if that's too unrealistic.

I can post more pictures if anyone wants them, but until then I'd rather keep building, not rendering!

Pirate ship

7 hours ago, icm said:

I can post more pictures if anyone wants them, but until then I'd rather keep building, not rendering!

More pictures are always appreciated - posting regular updates keeps the topic fresh and gives people a reason to come back.

I quite like this!

The color scheme looks good, and while it's not historically or practically accurate, it looks excellent in terms of playability.  The swivel rifles are a cool touch, and I think one could make a pretty sweet captain's cabin in this.

I don't suppose you have an LDD for it?