Hello everybody,

this is my first post in this form. After having built several models of Swiss trams in model railway scales 1:87 (H0m) and 1:22.5 (IIm) I thought it might be a nice challenge to try it with LEGO.
So, the first attempt is a vehicle from the city of Bern. The prototype is still in regular use and looked after by BERNMOBIL historique http://bernmobil-historique.ch/vierachs-tramzug/
After some first trials I decided to go for seven studs wide. I think that is a good compromise. What still concerns me are the side frames of the bogies. The LEGO ones have nothing to do with the prototype. It would be nice to find a more realistic solution. The main struggle is to find a decent fixation to the LEGO train motor, as I want the model to be powered. Suggestions are very welcomed!
Michael

309906220_Mrlitram07_3.jpg.1de03206284eba19290c22bb6af2bb55.jpg

If you do not plan on using the inside of the car for detailing etc, you could try to constuct a powered bogie yourself with a suitable motor and gearing. That would allow for some more prototypical looks and might result in a speed that is more fitting for an old tram. Which you captured really nicely!

Welcome to Train Tech. What a way to introduce yourself, indeed, great job. I like how you used the "space" to create the angled windows on the front. One small suggestion, if you could extend the snotted tiles to the middle of the car it would eliminate the half plate jump currently there (unless that is a feature of the prototype you are modeling, in which case, never mind).

In terms of building your own motor side, being 7 wide is definitely helpful since it gives you a little more space to work with. In your build it looks like you would have to come from the ends of the motor. You can clip a 1x 4 or 1x6 brick or plate in the hooks on the bottom end of the motor and secure it in place from above using a plate or tile off the top of the motor. From this you can then do clips e.g., for a hose or bar to extend over the side of the wheels that you can then clip off of or studs for snot. Though a brick built truck would give you a lot more flexibility in detailing, e.g., this hard to see example (it is so dark that it is almost not worth showing, but the key feature is that it has robot arms poking out between the wheels to hold a bar that then has 1x1 plate with clips hanging off of it)

Thank you very much for the positive and encouraging feedback! The idea with custom built bogies and gearing instead of the train motor is brilliant. I redesigned the model and was incredibly happy when I realized, that the new and much lower bogies allowed me to simplify the lower part of the body a lot. In the first version I tried to hide the upper part of the train motor behind a skirt of tiles. This was the only solution I found that allowed enough freedom of turn for tight curves. This is now no longer necessary.

So far I don‘t know whether the new arrangement will give a reasonable speed and whether it will derail easily or not. I‘m a bit concerned, because the vertical axle that brings the motion from the motor to the driven axles acts as pivot for the deflection of the bogie. But as I‘m obviously not the first and only one who uses this arrangement I will give it a try.

So, I wait for the missing parts to arrive and look forward to build this MOC for real.

50323213098_fb04e53ca8_c.jpg

50323213008_923f415e5f_c.jpg

50323213018_31cf9903f3_c.jpg

Excellent work! You've included some fantastic parts usage for all your greebles, and produced a very tidy, well-drained model.

I too can't wait to see her in real bricks!