JintaiZ

75290 Mos Eisley Cantina

A few sellers on eBay have the cantina and side buildings for sale (new) for £150. Obviously no vehicles, figs or dewback. What are people's thoughts on buying that, to make additional buildings for a bigger display?

I do plan to pick up a set with figures at some point, but think this is a cheap way to add maybe 4-5 small buildings to a display?

51 minutes ago, azzer86 said:

A few sellers on eBay have the cantina and side buildings for sale (new) for £150. Obviously no vehicles, figs or dewback. What are people's thoughts on buying that, to make additional buildings for a bigger display?

I do plan to pick up a set with figures at some point, but think this is a cheap way to add maybe 4-5 small buildings to a display?

You are probably better off buying a full set and selling the figures off.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I was thinking of buying two, one complete with figs and a second to part out to make other buildings, hence why I was debating buying the set without figs from eBay to save me money.

So you're advising to buy two full sets and sell the figs of one?

27 minutes ago, azzer86 said:

I was thinking of buying two, one complete with figs and a second to part out to make other buildings, hence why I was debating buying the set without figs from eBay to save me money.

It will be cheaper to buy two and sell off the figures and dewback and vehicles, than it is to buy one complete plus the parts from the buildings from somebody else. 

8 hours ago, azzer86 said:

Honestly it's possible you could make almost the entire cost of the second copy back by selling the figures and dewback of the second one, maybe the speeders too.

On 9/22/2020 at 3:19 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Honestly it's possible you could make almost the entire cost of the second copy back by selling the figures and dewback of the second one, maybe the speeders too.

As good as the minifigures are, I do not think people will get it just for the figs. The people who does get it clearly has a passion for star wars and LEGO.

Edited by JintaiZ

25 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Wow! Who wouldn't buy the set then!?

People that just want one figure and don't want to hassle of selling everything else. There is obviously money in parting sets out but, there is no way I would ever spend time doing it.

On 9/22/2020 at 3:49 PM, Csaba said:

People that just want one figure and don't want to hassle of selling everything else. There is obviously money in parting sets out but, there is no way I would ever spend time doing it.

Yeah... I totally understand that some people just doesn't like parting out sets. However, it's doubtful that someone who wants a specific figure would fork out such a high price...

Edited by JintaiZ

7 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

But you'll make so much money!!! Sell the figures for perhaps $250 and just sell the rest for $200. Easy money.

Maybe a bit less then that, but yeah, you'd earn a lot. The problem is twofold: It takes time and effort, and that you have no guarantee of it selling.This is why most people don't do this. If you're going to spend about as much time on this to have the CHANCE to earn about as much as you would just working for an hour or so, than why not just do the work? I'm actually a bricklink seller, and I don't part out big sets for this reason. If I'm going to spend $350 on something to earn, say, $50 more than what I spent, and there's no guarantee it'll sell at all, in that case just leaving me $350 in the hole, then why take the risk? I only part stuff out if I'm planning to keep some of it (ex: buying the ahsoka tank, and then selling the trooper and ahsoka for about $38, ending with me essentially getting the tank and pilots for $2.)

22 hours ago, azzer86 said:

I ordered the Cantina on the first day and am absolutely thrilled. In fact, I thought about buying a second time - without minifigures - in order to complement my mini diorama with a corresponding building in a similar style and to develop completely new buildings from the parts of the cantina and the small store as such. This would add many chic details to the collection. 

In the end I came up with a list of parts. The side building with the two flat roofs costs in parts around 25 EUR, without interior. So I think 150 EUR is quite reasonable for the cantina with the side buildings and without figures. Anything from 200 EUR without minifigures would be too expensive, based on the price of the parts. 

21 hours ago, MAB said:

In view of what I have written above, I fully agree. That would certainly be the better deal.

Thanks all for the advice.

Unfortunately I don't have the cash at the moment to buy two new sets. As @Mandalorianknight says, I don't want the effort of selling figures individually. I still have two sets to sell that have been sat ready for 6 months but still haven't gotten around to it... 

@NerdYoda I too have a mini diorama (See here for my builds) so was hoping to expand it with a cheap set and get another 2-3 buildings mixed with my spare parts, with the complete set coming some time next year.

Looks excellent @azzer86! Maybe it's really useful for you to wait for the upload of the manual, pack a parts list and order it. That way you could MOD and thus match the sidebuildings to your MOCs and add them afterwards. This would definitely be the cheaper option for the time being.

12 hours ago, Csaba said:

Yes buying a set for one figure then selling off 99% of the set doesn't make sense. However buying a set for 90% of the parts and selling off probably 80+% of the value in the minifigures does.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:31 AM, wesker said:

75133 Rebel Alliance Battlepack
Includes a Duros and Rodian in desert attire. The humans could also come in handy.

75167 Bounty Hunter Battlepack
Includes Bossk and Dengar who were both present at Mos Eisley during an episode of TCW. Bossk's costume was also originally used on a generic spaceman at the cantina in ANH.

75198 Tatooine Battlepack
Doesn't really help populate the bar but could still be useful for populating the streets. Comes with additional Jawas, a Tusken Raider and R3-T2 who can be seen outside the cantina in ANH.

75265 T-16 Skyhopper vs Bantha Microfighters
For the T-16 Pilot.

There's plenty of other characters to pick from if you wanted to buy the figures separately but for now those sets would be a good starting point.

In the end I've picked up all 4 as they were sensible prices and for me, solid value. As I have the 75220 Sandcrawler the vehicle from 75198 will compliment that and the speeder bikes from the others were pretty generic so pair up well. Thanks for the suggestions I think they'll help the scene, especially now I've found a chest of draws big enough to display it properly on

About the discussion of parting the set out or buying just the building, I would definitely wait to buy the building by itself, since the set still isn't available to the general public yet.  When the set is still in production but is widely available, the building will probably be even cheaper than the $150-200 it's going for now.  Once it retires, then it'll go back up in value, but I'm predicting this one sticks around for at least two years, considering how quickly it sold out.  

Looking at BL or eBay right now, it seems like each of the seven new figures average about $25-30 per fig, which is about $175-200 (you may want to keep the extra Hrcheck, since there were two Saurins in the cantina in ANH, so that still gets you at least $150 for everything).  The Dewback looks to be about $40 for just the pieces, so I would guess if you threw in the saddle, that's about $50.  You could probably sell the V-35 for another $20, the Ubbrikkian for maybe $15, Greedo, Wuher, and the main characters for another $20, and that would come out to about $250 and you could keep the two extra Sandtroopers, the 3 Bith to make a full band, the buildings, an additional Jawa, and another Saurin figure.  All that for basically $100 seems pretty good to me.  You could also keep Wuher and swap the head to make a random Mos Eisley patron.  

Now, it's a lot of work to actually sell all that stuff, and the prices may drop once the set's been out for a little while, but if you take the time, it'd make one heck of a cantina display piece.

When the set is still in production but is widely available, the building will probably be even cheaper than the $150-200 it's going for now.  

Agree with this. I want to create the hanger area to put a Mando ship or MF in, and then some city bits in-between that and the cantina. But you would need to know that the extra pieces would be the right ones before getting a whole extra set. I've got 3 of the 2014 cantina sets and 2 sets of the more recent small one, so probably already enough for some city alleyways and small buildings- but a hanger like the one below would need some more specific parts.

150 for the building areas could be a bad deal depending on how many useable bricks you end up with. But I can see a non-figure, non-vehicle version getting down to 120 or less once its not so new and rare. 

iphvsrm88kw41.png

On 9/23/2020 at 2:58 PM, Kit Figsto said:

About the discussion of parting the set out or buying just the building, I would definitely wait to buy the building by itself, since the set still isn't available to the general public yet.  When the set is still in production but is widely available, the building will probably be even cheaper than the $150-200 it's going for now.  Once it retires, then it'll go back up in value, but I'm predicting this one sticks around for at least two years, considering how quickly it sold out.  

Looking at BL or eBay right now, it seems like each of the seven new figures average about $25-30 per fig, which is about $175-200 (you may want to keep the extra Hrcheck, since there were two Saurins in the cantina in ANH, so that still gets you at least $150 for everything).  The Dewback looks to be about $40 for just the pieces, so I would guess if you threw in the saddle, that's about $50.  You could probably sell the V-35 for another $20, the Ubbrikkian for maybe $15, Greedo, Wuher, and the main characters for another $20, and that would come out to about $250 and you could keep the two extra Sandtroopers, the 3 Bith to make a full band, the buildings, an additional Jawa, and another Saurin figure.  All that for basically $100 seems pretty good to me.  You could also keep Wuher and swap the head to make a random Mos Eisley patron.  

Now, it's a lot of work to actually sell all that stuff, and the prices may drop once the set's been out for a little while, but if you take the time, it'd make one heck of a cantina display piece.

If figs wasn't included, I believe there is always a possibility that the license would add a lot of money to the set.

Edited by JintaiZ

10 hours ago, TwoSolitudes said:

150 for the building areas could be a bad deal depending on how many useable bricks you end up with. But I can see a non-figure, non-vehicle version getting down to 120 or less once its not so new and rare. 

iphvsrm88kw41.png

I think it depends if you can find use for the non building elements, such as bar, seating and speeders. The walls and structures I imagine will be fairly easy to use, but there is still quite a lot of non building stuff that may be harder

2 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

I think it depends if you can find use for the non building elements, such as bar, seating and speeders. The walls and structures I imagine will be fairly easy to use, but there is still quite a lot of non building stuff that may be harder

The part out value is going to be high, I believe

On 9/24/2020 at 12:17 AM, TwoSolitudes said:

Agree with this. I want to create the hanger area to put a Mando ship or MF in, and then some city bits in-between that and the cantina. But you would need to know that the extra pieces would be the right ones before getting a whole extra set. I've got 3 of the 2014 cantina sets and 2 sets of the more recent small one, so probably already enough for some city alleyways and small buildings- but a hanger like the one below would need some more specific parts.

iphvsrm88kw41.png

I believe this costs about only $150 because it doesn't use that much rare parts. That said, I don't really look sets as parts picks anyway...

Edited by JintaiZ