JintaiZ

75290 Mos Eisley Cantina

43 minutes ago, Cyberfounder said:

Too rich for my blood. I actually like the side building more then the Cantina itself. :snicker:

:pir_tong2:

seems pretty amazing, nothing compared to the 1st MBS Betrayal at Cloud City...

8 hours ago, G59 said:

seems pretty amazing, nothing compared to the 1st MBS Betrayal at Cloud City...

Very true...

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

Does anyone know what the size of this is when it’s closed?

52cm wide, I believe

I really hope they release a Mos Eisley battle pack - or even better, a "people" pack - to compliment this set. I'm actually rather surprised one wasn't released on the same day as this since anyone springing for the set would likely pick up the additional aliens.

By my count, this set still needs:

2 or 3 more Bith

2 Duros

Snaggletooth

Muftak (the white furry thing that looks like it is smoking)

BoShek

Nabrun Lieds

Dannik Jerriko

There are many others they could add as well, but the above would fill the place out nicely.

Completely inconsequential observation, but the distribution of pieces per numbered bag(s) is hilariously unbalanced in this set. there are a mere handful of pieces in with C-3PO then the entire Jawa shop and the house use only one number each. I really enjoyed how they spaced out the figs though, for something that has a relatively redundant color palate (especially when owning all the older cantinas, Jabbas palace, and all the Harry Potter sets), this build is never boring and never feels repetitive. As you pointed out in your review the clever use of texture really serves to interrupt what would otherwise be bland tan walls, and there is always the next minifig to assemble in the next bag. 10/10

Edited by Archer

On 9/11/2020 at 4:41 PM, JintaiZ said:

Both of them uses the same license (Disney)

Lego Star Wars has existed far longer than Disney owning Star Wars. There is little logical reason to assume they would have merged all licenses together. It appears more logical that they would continue to keep individual licenses around individual areas of the Disney portfolio. So any assumption that the license cost is equal across sets is not based in good logic

1 minute ago, Mountain Man said:

Lego Star Wars has existed far longer than Disney owning Star Wars. There is little logical reason to assume they would have merged all licenses together. It appears more logical that they would continue to keep individual licenses around individual areas of the Disney portfolio. So any assumption that the license cost is equal across sets is not based in good logic

Still, the price feels a bit off. Especially if you consider the piece count. 0.11 PPP isn't necessarily bad but large sets should have much better value than small sets

23 hours ago, Archer said:

Completely inconsequential observation, but the distribution of pieces per numbered bag(s) is hilariously unbalanced in this set. there are a mere handful of pieces in with C-3PO then the entire Jawa shop and the house use only one number each. I really enjoyed how they spaced out the figs though, for something that has a relatively redundant color palate (especially when owning all the older cantinas, Jabbas palace, and all the Harry Potter sets), this build is never boring and never feels repetitive. As you pointed out in your review the clever use of texture really serves to interrupt what would otherwise be bland tan walls, and there is always the next minifig to assemble in the next bag. 10/10

I believe it has 18 numbered bags.

My 600th post!!!!!

12 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Still, the price feels a bit off. Especially if you consider the piece count. 0.11 PPP isn't necessarily bad but large sets should have much better value than small sets

Price per piece I view as largely irrelevant, as that number takes no account for size, complexity of parts, nor new moulds. It also includes licensing cost which varies. 

It's a number that has so many caveats that ultimately I don't see the point of it.

Edited by Mountain Man

7 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Price per piece I view as largely irrelevant, as that number takes no account for size, complexity of parts, nor new moulds. It also includes licensing cost which varies. 

It's a number that has so many caveats that ultimately I don't see the point of it.

I'm a stickler for PPP, so our stories are different ;)

47 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Sorry, didn't understand your message

Does someone know the sizes of the new Cantina? I’d like to know if it’ll fit my display cabinet :-s

54 minutes ago, Borex said:

Does someone know the sizes of the new Cantina? I’d like to know if it’ll fit my display cabinet :-s

me me me! :)

Price per piece is a worthless statistic. I guess it's decent as a general rule of thumb, but it's upended by the fact that larger pieces obviously cost more and new molds also cost quite a bit. Given the Dewback and the new, possibly one-off mold for Ponda Baba, I can accept $350.

46 minutes ago, Gremer2 said:

Price per piece is a worthless statistic. I guess it's decent as a general rule of thumb, but it's upended by the fact that larger pieces obviously cost more and new molds also cost quite a bit. Given the Dewback and the new, possibly one-off mold for Ponda Baba, I can accept $350.

Ultimately whether a set good value or bad value in isolation is irrelevant, because it isn't sold in isolation. It's a digital decision, of value to the individual . It is either priced at a level combined with other factors such your interest in the theme / set etc, that you either buy it, or you don't. 

For example, the Disney Castle I wouldn't buy even if it was at 100 quid, nevermind 300. Because of other factors such as the above. 

So in terms of value, the Disney Castle is terrible. To me. No one can make a claim on value outside of its value to themselves. 

Edited by Mountain Man

On 9/19/2020 at 5:26 PM, macaron35 said:

one should probably merge the 2 topics ?

I hope not. Keep the other one about just the Cantina and leave the non-SW Disney Castle stuff here.

On 9/19/2020 at 11:26 AM, macaron35 said:

one should probably merge the 2 topics ?

No. The other one is a review of the cantina, and this is, I believe, meant to be a long complaint about the price that morphed into someone arguing about the disney castle being better or something. (Clearly, it is not, the cantina is the best!)

Any ideas on cheap (under 30 quid new on Ebay) that would include good minifigures to help populate the bar? It feels like a few extra characters would help, but I want to make it semi realistic to the era

I'd rather get actual sets that just minifigs. 

23 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Any ideas on cheap (under 30 quid new on Ebay) that would include good minifigures to help populate the bar? It feels like a few extra characters would help, but I want to make it semi realistic to the era

I'd rather get actual sets that just minifigs. 

75133 Rebel Alliance Battlepack
Includes a Duros and Rodian in desert attire. The humans could also come in handy.

75167 Bounty Hunter Battlepack
Includes Bossk and Dengar who were both present at Mos Eisley during an episode of TCW. Bossk's costume was also originally used on a generic spaceman at the cantina in ANH.

75198 Tatooine Battlepack
Doesn't really help populate the bar but could still be useful for populating the streets. Comes with additional Jawas, a Tusken Raider and R3-T2 who can be seen outside the cantina in ANH.

75265 T-16 Skyhopper vs Bantha Microfighters
For the T-16 Pilot.

There's plenty of other characters to pick from if you wanted to buy the figures separately but for now those sets would be a good starting point.

25 minutes ago, wesker said:

75133 Rebel Alliance Battlepack
Includes a Duros and Rodian in desert attire. The humans could also come in handy.

75167 Bounty Hunter Battlepack
Includes Bossk and Dengar who were both present at Mos Eisley during an episode of TCW. Bossk's costume was also originally used on a generic spaceman at the cantina in ANH.

75198 Tatooine Battlepack
Doesn't really help populate the bar but could still be useful for populating the streets. Comes with additional Jawas, a Tusken Raider and R3-T2 who can be seen outside the cantina in ANH.

75265 T-16 Skyhopper vs Bantha Microfighters
For the T-16 Pilot.

There's plenty of other characters to pick from if you wanted to buy the figures separately but for now those sets would be a good starting point.

Great stuff, that's really useful thanks. I saw the 75265 and thought that might be a good option 

5 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Great stuff, that's really useful thanks. I saw the 75265 and thought that might be a good option 

I would add that obi-wan's hut could be helpful if you're trying to add some more builds, too. If not, i'd definitely go with the rebel and tatooine battle packs.