JintaiZ

75290 Mos Eisley Cantina

On 9/10/2020 at 7:24 AM, TwoSolitudes said:

I'm all in on it! It's a playset yes, but unlike Cloud City or Hoth this one will look excellent on display. I'm thinking about how I can use the other cantina sets I have to build up the surrounding streets. Can't wait.   

Yep, it works for both play and display!

4 hours ago, dcc123 said:

Loving the Garindan figure!

The figures are really the main feature of the set!!!

13 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

imo it looks perfect, idk how they coudlve done it any better

For the price, 10 more figures would do the justice. That means 31 figures in total.

I don't think the price is at all off compared to similar sets like the 2016 Death Star. This is $350 - 21 figs - 3187 parts. It is approximately 7/10 of the price of the DS.

So mutliply by 10/7 and you get the equivalent size of this set if it cost the same, so $500 - 30 figs -  4553 parts.

The Death Star was $500 - 27 figs - 4000 parts. So this set appears better value than the DS. It has the equivalent of 3 figures and 550 parts more than the DS if they are scaled to the same price.

Just now, MAB said:

I don't think the price is at all off compared to similar sets like the 2016 Death Star. This is $350 - 21 figs - 3187 parts. It is approximately 7/10 of the price of the DS.

So mutliply by 10/7 and you get the equivalent size of this set if it cost the same, so $500 - 30 figs -  4553 parts.

The Death Star was $500 - 27 figs - 4000 parts. So this set appears better value than the DS. It has the equivalent of 3 figures and 550 parts more than the DS if they are scaled to the same price.

Not to mention Betrayal at Cloud City which had 350 fewer pieces, the same number of minifigs, and cost the same (at least in US dollars). 

Some people just default to complaining about price, no matter what the reality is...

2 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Not to mention Betrayal at Cloud City which had 350 fewer pieces, the same number of minifigs, and cost the same (at least in US dollars). 

Some people just default to complaining about price, no matter what the reality is...

Betrayal at Cloud City is cheaper in other currencies.

6 minutes ago, MAB said:

The Death Star is just way overpriced.

12 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Yes, true. I think LEGO SW collectors are used to and also willing to pay this sort of price, based on sales of other similar sets. I expected it to be higher than $350.

9 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

The Death Star is just way overpriced.

Yet sells well, suggesting it is not overpriced to the customers that actually buy it. Although I imagine when they priced it 4 years ago, they increased it compared to what it would have been if it was just a 2 year set, knowing it would likely be around for 7-8 years like the last one and that it would be embarrassing to change the price during its retail run.

10 minutes ago, MAB said:

Yes, true. I think LEGO SW collectors are used to and also willing to pay this sort of price, based on sales of other similar sets. I expected it to be higher than $350.

Yet sells well, suggesting it is not overpriced to the customers that actually buy it. Although I imagine when they priced it 4 years ago, they increased it compared to what it would have been if it was just a 2 year set, knowing it would likely be around for 7-8 years like the last one and that it would be embarrassing to change the price during its retail run.

I probably would have bought the Death Star for $440 or so...

In fact, $350 isn't a bad price when compared to other Star Wars sets.

However, when compared to the Disney Castle (which is the same price in my region), the price just feels off. I know I'd rather spend my money on Disney Castle.

If the 75159 is selling well, didn't the 10188 sell better!?

Edited by JintaiZ

8 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I know I'd rather spend my money on Disney Castle.

So buy the Disney Castle and don't buy this one. Problem solved. You can go and play with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Tinkerbell in their big, fairly static castle and Star Wars fans can play with the 21 minifigures, swoosh the vehicles, play with the dewback and so on in this large Cantina set.

They are completely different sets. Not just in license, but in play and display style. The Castle is great if you like big buildings but not much in terms of characters. The Cantina is great if you enjoy minifigures, swooshing vehicles, but also have a great backdrop for them even if it is smaller than the Disney castle. The difference of 16 figures is going to cost you probably $60-80 to buy Disney CMFs to fill the Castle, more if you want specific ones or to avoid duplicates and so use the secondary market. The difference in part count between the two sets is about 800. And the difference in financial value depends on what the parts are. Small parts could be pennies, larger ones more than 10c per part. I don't think they are that far off each other in terms of cost value - but it depends how much play, display and financial value you put in minifigs compared to parts.

Just now, MAB said:

So buy the Disney Castle and don't buy this one. Problem solved. You can go and play with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Tinkerbell in their big, fairly static castle and Star Wars fans can play with the 21 minifigures, swoosh the vehicles, play with the dewback and so on in this large Cantina set.

They are completely different sets. Not just in license, but in play and display style. The Castle is great if you like big buildings but not much in terms of characters. The Cantina is great if you enjoy minifigures, swooshing vehicles, but also have a great backdrop for them even if it is smaller than the Disney castle. The difference of 16 figures is going to cost you probably $60-80 to buy Disney CMFs to fill the Castle, more if you want specific ones or to avoid duplicates and so use the secondary market. The difference in part count between the two sets is about 800. And the difference in financial value depends on what the parts are. Small parts could be pennies, larger ones more than 10c per part. I don't think they are that far off each other in terms of cost value - but it depends how much play, display and financial value you put in minifigs compared to parts.

Both of them uses the same license (Disney), so I don't see why the Mos Cantina has a lot less parts for the same price.

However, I'm very impressed by the Mos Cantina. If there will be a 20% discount I'll not hesitate to buy it!

24 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Both of them uses the same license (Disney), so I don't see why the Mos Cantina has a lot less parts for the same price.

Because of the number of minifigures. Minifigures are significantly more valuable than parts. Add the current cost of 16 CMFs, so $80, to the Disney Castle or alternatively take off $80 from Cantina.

Let's do the latter. Then you have $350 for Disney Castle (~4000 parts plus 5 minifigures) compared to $270 for the Cantina minus 16 figures (~3100 parts plus 5 minifigures).

$350 / $270 gives a price ratio of about 1.30; 4000/3100 gives a parts ratio of about 1.29. Once the value of minifigures is taken into account, they are very similar.

But of course, if you prefer Disney, the Disney set will be more appealing. If you prefer SW, the SW set will. If you prefer one big build, the Disney set. If you prefer more action based play, the SW set. If you prefer character based play, the SW set. If you don't value minifigures at all, the Disney set.

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

Betrayal at Cloud City is cheaper in other currencies.

Your location is listed as the United States. Not seeing what prices in other currencies have to do with your opinion of this set?

20 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Disney Castle has fewer new molds (3 for the Cantina, don't think the Castle had any when it was launched), doesn't have a giant mold like the Dewback, and has far fewer minifigs (21 vs. 5). All of these things directly impact a set's budget and price. The Disney Castle is also 4-5 years old; if it were released today, it would no doubt be $50 more.

And, not all parts are equal; comparing two sets' value solely by their part-per-price ratio ignores that one set may be loaded up with small/simple parts, while the other has more complex molds, larger parts, etc.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

Because of the number of minifigures. Minifigures are significantly more valuable than parts. Add the current cost of 16 CMFs, so $80, to the Disney Castle or alternatively take off $80 from Cantina.

Let's do the latter. Then you have $350 for Disney Castle (~4000 parts plus 5 minifigures) compared to $270 for the Cantina minus 16 figures (~3100 parts plus 5 minifigures).

$350 / $270 gives a price ratio of about 1.30; 4000/3100 gives a parts ratio of about 1.29. Once the value of minifigures is taken into account, they are very similar.

But of course, if you prefer Disney, the Disney set will be more appealing. If you prefer SW, the SW set will. If you prefer one big build, the Disney set. If you prefer more action based play, the SW set. If you prefer character based play, the SW set. If you don't value minifigures at all, the Disney set.

And take $32 off Disney... I'm not crazy about minifigures, and I never buy them separately.

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

And, not all parts are equal; comparing two sets' value solely by their part-per-price ratio ignores that one set may be loaded up with small/simple parts, while the other has more complex molds, larger parts, etc.

I don't think it'll sell well if that's the case. Also, the Disney Castle has large parts too.

Edited by JintaiZ

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

And take $24 off Disney... I'm not crazy about minifigures, and I never buy them separately.

You also need to take the extra off the Cantina too to bring that down to no minifigures. Although the Disney Castle figures are worth way more than that, Mickey by himself is worth more than that. 

Not valuing figures (either financially or play value or display value) is probably why you don't see the value in the Cantina compared to the Castle. It isn't just a Cantina plus a few vehicles. There are many minifigures, and some never done before plus new versions of others. Some of those brand new ones will be selling for $30+ on the secondary market, that is how high people value them. For example, Zuckuss (sw1020) from the recent Anniversary Slave-I, never done before, goes for about $40. It wouldn't surprise me if the minifigures alone could be sold off for about $180-200 and another $20-30 for the dewback. 

19 minutes ago, MAB said:

You also need to take the extra off the Cantina too to bring that down to no minifigures. Although the Disney Castle figures are worth way more than that, Mickey by himself is worth more than that. 

Not valuing figures (either financially or play value or display value) is probably why you don't see the value in the Cantina compared to the Castle. It isn't just a Cantina plus a few vehicles. There are many minifigures, and some never done before plus new versions of others. Some of those brand new ones will be selling for $30+ on the secondary market, that is how high people value them. For example, Zuckuss (sw1020) from the recent Anniversary Slave-I, never done before, goes for about $40. It wouldn't surprise me if the minifigures alone could be sold off for about $180-200 and another $20-30 for the dewback. 

Take $84 off Cantina...

Then the new price per piece, since each minifigure is 3 pieces + accessory = 4 pieces:

Disney Castle: 0.078 PPP

Mos Eisley Cantina: 0.086 PPP

Disney Castle wins this round.

4 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Yup.

Not sure why it's being compared to the disney castle, but at a glance the fact that the cantina has 16 more minifigures and a massive dewback mold makes it more worth it than the castle IMO. Not to mention it's got a lot more going on in the set.

32 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yup.

Not sure why it's being compared to the disney castle, but at a glance the fact that the cantina has 16 more minifigures and a massive dewback mold makes it more worth it than the castle IMO. Not to mention it's got a lot more going on in the set.

Well, compare it to the Yoda. The value will leaves much more to be desired.

18 hours ago, LegoDW said:

As for those looking for the figures only (like on Bricklink), 21 figures will be easily $150 to $200 by the time you add tax and shipping.

I'm trying to mentally calculate how much the figures will go for and I think you're about right with that estimate.

Just basing it off of Cloud City prices, Ponda Baba I would imagine will be about the price of Lando (unless he gets a re-release), so that alone is like $40.  Garindan I think will be around there too, also since there's less of a chance that he gets re-released.  Labria I think will be at least $25 because he has a low chance of being re-released anytime soon, at least not while the Cantina is on the shelf, but he's not as recognizable as some of the others.  Dr. Evazan maybe around there just because he's new but no other new molds?  Kabe, the Bossk-looking guy (forgot his name, sorry) and Momaw Nadon I see around maybe $10-15 just because they're not new molds, but are new characters that, again, we likely won't get again, certainly not in the next 4-5 years, but are less famous than Evazan.  Wuher currently is surprisingly cheap, only about $5, this one I could see being a bit more expensive just because it only comes in a high dollar set, but let's just say around $5 for the sake of estimation.  Lobot, for example, is about a $10 figure and I would say could be comparable there (no new molds, minor character, only been release once or twice before).  The Bith look the same to me and are currently $8 on BL, so I don't see this really decreasing the price that much just because it's a very expensive set.  Maybe $5-8 on those?  Greedo is one I'm not sure about.  I don't think it reaches much about $10 just because that's about what the last two go for, and this one doesn't seem significantly better, it's not going to reach the value of the 2003 release.

The Jawa, Han, Chewie, the droids, Luke, Ben and the Sandtroopers are obviously not terribly exciting, so nothing there as far as value.  

All told, that's roughly $175 for the new characters, adding in Wuher, Greedo, and the Bith comes out to right at $200 or so.  Now, this is just rough estimation on my part based on Cloud City figures (which I would say had similar desirability as the new characters in this one) and previous iterations of figures in this.  

So basically, if someone is looking to buy the set but only cares about the figures, it's almost more economical to just shell out $350 (or wait until a potential Amazon/Black Friday deal and get it for a bit cheaper), sell off the repeat figures and then sell the building on eBay, especially if you wait until the set retires to do so.  

2 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Well, compare it to the Yoda. The value will leaves much more to be desired.

compare it to a $100 statue set? The difference goes from the set you want it to be compared to having 16 fewer figures to having 2 fewer figures, and no new molds either. It makes no sense to compare it to yoda, they're completely different. The only ones that really make too much sense to compare it too are cloud city, death star, and hoth, and IMO it's got a pretty good value anyway, with 3187 parts, 21 figures, giant dewback mold, etc for $350.

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

So basically, if someone is looking to buy the set but only cares about the figures, it's almost more economical to just shell out $350 (or wait until a potential Amazon/Black Friday deal and get it for a bit cheaper), sell off the repeat figures and then sell the building on eBay, especially if you wait until the set retires to do so.  

This is more or less my plan. Wait and look for good deals.

My only complaints are: 1) They could give us more complex built with more inner sections (there should be 4 + 4, not 3 + 3)

2) Arm printing, arm printing and arm printing (and dual molding) - why is Han in this expensive set without his dual molded legs? Ponda Baba and Greedo would look better with arm printing, too. Come on, it is not a battle pack, it´s huge exclusive set. I don´t think that anybody wanted new dewback prints. :hmpf:

42 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

compare it to a $100 statue set? The difference goes from the set you want it to be compared to having 16 fewer figures to having 2 fewer figures, and no new molds either. It makes no sense to compare it to yoda, they're completely different. The only ones that really make too much sense to compare it too are cloud city, death star, and hoth, and IMO it's got a pretty good value anyway, with 3187 parts, 21 figures, giant dewback mold, etc for $350.

Cloud City also had no new parts, nothing outrageously complex in terms of the parts that it did include (at least everything in that doesn't seem to be any more complex than what we're getting here), and zero new molds that I can remember.  We got a re-printed Ugnaught head and a re-color of the Rebel helmet that was put out for Rogue One, those were the only "new" parts (by new I mean they were like 4 years old but had very few uses before then), and we got one set of dual molded legs.  Every other figure either had already been released or was just re-colored existing parts.

This one already had better value than Cloud City just due to having more parts, but include the fact that we get 3 new molds and 3 "rare" molds (Ithorian, Trandoshian, and Rodian head, which, if my memory serves me right, have had 1, 3, and 4 releases each), and the giant Dewback, which is both rare and significantly larger than almost anything else LEGO ever produces parts-wise.

And you're totally right about Yoda too, it's a bunch of basic bricks to create a display model, not a large-scale playset with minifigures and ships and such.

Edited by Kit Figsto

Add $150 to the Cantina, making it $500...and I’ll still buy it. 

Edited by JRBricks

I only care about Ponda Baba, Dr. Evazan, Garindan, Kardue’Sai’Malloc, Kabe, the Saurin, and Momaw Nadon.  I'll have to wait and see if it's better to buy them separately or just get the set.

14 hours ago, OCD_Chad said:

I only care about Ponda Baba, Dr. Evazan, Garindan, Kardue’Sai’Malloc, Kabe, the Saurin, and Momaw Nadon.  I'll have to wait and see if it's better to buy them separately or just get the set.

Since you basically just listed off all the new minifigs in the set (which could easily set you back $100+), it’s undoubtedly better just to get the set IMO.

Start of filming for Kenobi has been confirmed for next spring, by the Jedi Master himself. Wouldn't it be nice to get some more Mos Eisley sets to complement this one?

1 hour ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

Since you basically just listed off all the new minifigs in the set (which could easily set you back $100+), it’s undoubtedly better just to get the set IMO.

You could get the set, keep the minifigs you like, and sell the rest of it.

16 hours ago, JRBricks said:

Add $150 to the Cantina, making it $500...and I’ll still buy it. 

Looks like you're a huge fan!!!

17 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Wait and look for good deals.

Yep, like I said I'll buy it at a discount.

18 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

All told, that's roughly $175 for the new characters, adding in Wuher, Greedo, and the Bith comes out to right at $200 or so.  Now, this is just rough estimation on my part based on Cloud City figures (which I would say had similar desirability as the new characters in this one) and previous iterations of figures in this.

And then for Disney Castle the characters are worth about $130.