JintaiZ

75290 Mos Eisley Cantina

The new Star Wars set has been revealed - The Mos Eisley Cantina. I know I'm a bit late posting news like this, but I suppose it's better late than never...

53630_Cantina.jpg

Photo: Brickset News

It has 3187 pieces, a whopping of 21 minifigures, and it'll probably retail for $350.

So, how do I feel about it? Well, first of all, this set is amazing, and there's no denying on that? But on the other hand, it feels a bit expensive. For example, if you compare it to NINJAGO City, which is a way bigger set that costs less, I simply feel cheated.

Nevertheless, this is a superb set that will be long sought after its retirement.

What are your thoughts? Comment below!

Edited by JintaiZ

Well, it has been a dream come true set for me. However, I don't really feel like spending $350 on this set...

Edited by JintaiZ

16 minutes ago, Follows Closely said:

No way it is under $400, it may be $500. I love the that we are getting something new instead of a rehash. I'll pass as I have no interest in Star Wars playsets.

I'll have to wait for a 30% discount if you're right...

Update: This set has officially been revealed. It will cost $349.

On September 4, 2020 at 12:04 PM, JintaiZ said:

... it feels a bit expensive. ...

This seems to be a recurring theme with Star Wars sets of late, with the exception of the busts, it seems like all the interesting kits (to me) have had "poor" to "terrible" pennies per part ratios: Bespin Duel (13.6), Snowspeeder (20.2), Obi-wan's Hut (15), Sith TIE fighter (17).  Now by comparison, this kit is a bit of a bargain at just over 11 ppp (especially for the number of minifigs) but it still _feels_ a bit pricey when you see it all together and compare it with what $350 will buy you in non-Star Wars sets, like a couple of Modular Buildings or Ninjago city.

2 minutes ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

This seems to be a recurring theme with Star Wars sets of late, with the exception of the busts, it seems like all the interesting kits (to me) have had "poor" to "terrible" pennies per part ratios: Bespin Duel (13.6), Snowspeeder (20.2), Obi-wan's Hut (15), Sith TIE fighter (17).  Now by comparison, this kit is a bit of a bargain at just over 11 ppp (especially for the number of minifigs) but it still _feels_ a bit pricey when you see it all together and compare it with what $350 will buy you in non-Star Wars sets, like a couple of Modular Buildings or Ninjago city.

Due to the price, I won't be picking this up unless at a discount. In my currency I can get the Hogwarts Castle for $50 more which seems like a better deal...

On 9/4/2020 at 6:31 PM, JintaiZ said:

Well, it has been a dream come true set for me. However, I don't really feel like spending $350 on this set...

same here

and even if I have the money, i'm not sure I will have the space for it

maybe i'll build just the bar counter and i'll buy the minifig for the fun to recreate this scene

otherwise i'll prefer to save $350 to get many other sets

Mixed feeling. Love the set and the minifigs but not much into displaying a playset, especially a 350€'s one...

I will wait for a discount somewhere and will buy it for my kids for when they grow up

I'm all in on it! It's a playset yes, but unlike Cloud City or Hoth this one will look excellent on display. I'm thinking about how I can use the other cantina sets I have to build up the surrounding streets. Can't wait.   

3 hours ago, macaron35 said:

same here

and even if I have the money, i'm not sure I will have the space for it

maybe i'll build just the bar counter and i'll buy the minifig for the fun to recreate this scene

otherwise i'll prefer to save $350 to get many other sets

I'd prefer to spend my money on Disney Castle...

Just now, JintaiZ said:

I'd prefer to spend my money on Disney Castle...

this is also on my wish list

my daughter is still too young but i guess I have to start saving, in a few years (2 or 3) she will be asking about it ;)

4 minutes ago, macaron35 said:

this is also on my wish list

my daughter is still too young but i guess I have to start saving, in a few years (2 or 3) she will be asking about it ;)

And in a few years it will retire...

yes i know but TLG is releasing a lot of expensive sets, I cannot buy them all

maybe in a few years, there will be updated sets :)

2 hours ago, macaron35 said:

yes i know but TLG is releasing a lot of expensive sets, I cannot buy them all

maybe in a few years, there will be updated sets :)

Buy the ones that aren't overpriced :)

43 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Didn't someone do this when the helmets came out, too?

Busted...

I did. Not about their price but about their bricky shape

5 hours ago, jdubbs said:

It's starting to feel like you created this thread just to complain about the price. 

That isn't the point. I created the thread to know about other people's opinions about the set. I'm really just expressing my own thoughts.

4 hours ago, macaron35 said:

Busted...

I did. Not about their price but about their bricky shape

That's LEGO! I'm sure the designers could have easily done one without studs on top, but it probably won't look as nice.

7 hours ago, jdubbs said:

It's starting to feel like you created this thread just to complain about the price. 

Regarding this set......with the piece count, Star Wars Trademark tax and all the new mini figs feel we are lucky its only $350 in the US.  As for those looking for the figures only (like on Bricklink), 21 figures will be easily $150 to $200 by the time you add tax and shipping. Better off skipping going out to lunch for awhile and getting the complete set.  As for am I going to purchase, while I feel in the long run I will get bored of this set being displayed...I will purchase anyways as feel when it retires, the after market will go crazy and that is when I will feel incomplete without it.  That is what seams to happen lately.  

Regarding a deep discount before purchasing as in the questionnaire....I doubt will see this at a discount  in the US.  I was surprised to see the Disney train go on sale last black Friday so maybe it will?  Don't get me started on 8 stud wide trains.....come on TLG hows that supposed to fit in everyone's cites????  Stick to 6 wide.

40 minutes ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

imo it looks perfect, idk how they coudlve done it any better

I agree it looks good....perfect?  I hope so, will wait to judge till I see the YouTube reviews with actual set.  

7 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Didn't someone do this when the helmets came out, too?

I don't care for the helmets.  Price dose not effect my opinion.  Glad TLG has offered them to those who enjoy them. For those AFOL sake hope they offer more in the future.  

I love this; and will save my hard earned spondoolies to buy this.

With regards to the actual set (lets just assume it is expensive and move on), I'm assuming that the beam/rafters just lift off when opening it up?

Loving the Garindan figure!

Edited by dcc123

This is another of those sets that I'd love to build, but not sure I want to own. I love that Lego have done another playset, I love that it's an actual building and not just another vehicle, and I really think it's on par with the Death Star playset. My only real problem is with storage and display space. The cantina doesn't look that impressive from the outside and only becomes recogniseable/iconic once you open it up - but due to the size of the bar in the middle, I'm not sure I have enough shelf space to squeeze it in. Definitely looking forward to getting more information from reviewers.

55 minutes ago, NathanR said:

This is another of those sets that I'd love to build, but not sure I want to own. I love that Lego have done another playset, I love that it's an actual building and not just another vehicle, and I really think it's on par with the Death Star playset. My only real problem is with storage and display space. The cantina doesn't look that impressive from the outside and only becomes recogniseable/iconic once you open it up - but due to the size of the bar in the middle, I'm not sure I have enough shelf space to squeeze it in. Definitely looking forward to getting more information from reviewers.

Similar here. It needs a rebuild to fit a certain space and I'd probably want it to show the interior only with the majority of the minifigures from this set. Then do the landspeeders (plus Luke's) and dewback and "these are not the droids" outside in another section.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

Similar here. It needs a rebuild to fit a certain space and I'd probably want it to show the interior only with the majority of the minifigures from this set. Then do the landspeeders (plus Luke's) and dewback and "these are not the droids" outside in another section.

Perhaps people will sell the landspeeder separately on bricklink.