48 minutes ago, User5346 said:

So it seems the colour on the Gt is medium azure

Indeed it is! I used Studio to follow along to someone's sped-up build footage on YouTube in order to (digitally) build it, mostly because I was curious about a couple build techniques, and found that it has 5 pieces appearing for the first time in medium azure:

• 2x 98282: Vehicle, Mudguard 4 x 2 1/2 x 1 with Arch Round
  • 3x 11211: Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Studs on 1 Side
  • 2x 26603: Tile 2 x 3
  • 2x 27263: Tile, Modified Facet 2 x 2 Corner with Cut Corner
  • 2x 25787: Tile, Modified 2 x 2 Triangular

Its windscreen and headlights are new prints, and of course the wheels/tires and wheel covers are the new 2021 ones as well.

Edited by Carbohydrates

Yea, having 98282 mudguards in medium azure is fantastic news. Making more Gulf livery builds possible now

5 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

98282: Vehicle, Mudguard 4 x 2 1/2 x 1 with Arch Round

ehh, not of fan of these on the sc cars tbh

4 minutes ago, User5346 said:

ehh, not of fan of these on the sc cars tbh

To each their own! The "skeletonized" nature of this part enables a lot of connections that are otherwise impossible. I prefer the form factor of the newest Speed Champions fenders, but there's no substitute for the versatility of the 98282.

6 minutes ago, Carbohydrates said:

enables a lot of connections that are otherwise impossible

Yeah I understand. But the gaps on the GT and C8r are pretty bad, if LEGO is going for accuracy than they should create a new fender similar to the regular sc fender but instead one does not have a bulge that sticks out because all of these Supercars or Hypercars have flat surface fenders.

2 hours ago, User5346 said:

Yeah I understand. But the gaps on the GT and C8r are pretty bad, if LEGO is going for accuracy than they should create a new fender similar to the regular sc fender but instead one does not have a bulge that sticks out because all of these Supercars or Hypercars have flat surface fenders.

Oh yeah, I'd love a flush fender. That would look much more appropriate on many of these cars! The gaps left behind by the use of the City fender are the designer's fault, not the piece's fault, though. There are many, many ways of filling those gaps. Permit me to use some of my own MOCs as examples: inverted slopes, quarter circle tiles, sideways cheese slopes, 1/2 stud offsetting, brackets (especially the 1 x 1 - 1 x 1 inverted), sideways tiles, or upside-down cheese slopes. The gaps left on the front of the GT, for instance, could easily be filled with the upside-down cheese slope method. I checked when I did my little Studio build-along. Haven't seen how the Corvette goes together yet, but I'm sure one of the numerous solutions would fit.

edit: I don't mean to come down on the set designers, by the way! I think they did a marvelous job on that GT. This is intended to be a defense of the 98282 mudguard piece.

Edited by Carbohydrates

53 minutes ago, Carbohydrates said:

There are many, many ways of filling those gaps.

Hmm interesting. I was specifically referring to this gap:

Fender gap

So do you think it’s possible to fix?

9 hours ago, User5346 said:

So it seems the colour on the Gt is medium azure, but in the pictures it looks darker? Any chance @kbalage could compare the GT to last years jag set (if you have it), in a side by side picture so we can see how they look together? That would be awesome

It is medium azure I can confirm. Unfortunately I only have the Quattro from last year, the others are from the 6 stud era.

20 hours ago, noahtheb said:

After seeing more reviews and pictures, I am starting to like the 2021 Speed Champions lineup more. (Except for the Supra, which is still atrocious)

Yeah, my original negative perceptions are changing now that we can see other angles. 

I didn't have the Jaguar set for comparison but the previous GTs look like a City set next to the 8 stud wide one:

Nice job! Think the Ford set now my favourite!

Most of the 2021 SC sets now on Lego site.

Edited by Big Adam

kbalage, just watched your video on the C3 and C8 and I feel so vindicated that I'm not the only person so disappointed by the C3! I have seen so many people excited by the C3, and I don't wish to detract from peoples' satisfaction, but I felt so odd sitting here wondering... are we looking at the same car? That roofline and rear deck are just completely wrong.

I agree, the C3 and C8r are bad, as well as the challenger and dragster. So far, my favorite set of this wave is the Ford 2 pack. 

My heart says to buy all the 2021 sets, but head says Corvette and Dodge twin packs don’t deserve my cash.

Sweetspot may be to buy those two sets in US (delivered to my work colleagues in Miami) as the price difference to EU/UK is ridiculous!

The C8r is desperately missing the pointy front and whyyyyy did they use those fenders on it??? Can anyone tell me if they are used to benefit the car in terms of techniques at all? Otherwise I’m going to need regular dark grey fenders asap to replace them!

Lego missed a nice tie-in with McLaren! Special one-off Gulf livery for the Monaco GP.

Gulf-MCL35-hero-8-1024x683.jpg

I love the F1 (The car on the left), but I'm not a fan of F1 cars (the car on the right). Still, it would've been a better choice than the Dodge Challenger and Dragster.

F1 has a larger following than drag racing for sure, but they've done a lot of F1 cars both in the Speed Champions line and in the past with the Racers Ferrari stuff.  Other than one City set, we've never had any Top Fuel dragster, and this one is much more detailed and realistic.  I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think that set is a lot better than most people are giving it credit for.  Frankly, of the cars, I think it looks the most accurate by far to the source material.

I see the sets are now on the Lego website all apart from the Dodge set though :sceptic: I wonder if that one is going to be released a little bit later on this Summer

5 hours ago, LegoMFP_David said:

I see the sets are now on the Lego website all apart from the Dodge set though :sceptic: I wonder if that one is going to be released a little bit later on this Summer

On LEGO.com PL are all. 

14 hours ago, LegoMFP_David said:

On LEGO.com in Australia there is all but the Corvette set and the Jesko.

Its strange that some of the sets are either all on the website or only certain ones depending on where you live.

On another note best laid plans of 'saving money' I have gone and blown my money on a PS5 so it doesnt look like I will be getting these new sets until my birthday in July!!

On 5/12/2021 at 2:47 PM, User5346 said:

Thing I don’t understand; interview took place in May 2020! What!? That means next years sets are already compete? :shrug_confused:

That's how LEGO works. They're probably working on the last touches to finishing up next years sets if they aren't already done.