I've waited a few days, to give it some time to let the new line up sink in, so here are my two cents.

Obviously for the AFOL community (myself included), this new line up is a bit underwhelming when compared to the 2020 line up, because SC 2020 set the bar so high it's normal for us to expect that 2021 would be better.

But then again, as we know Lego never intended for SC to be marketed just for AFOLs so it's understandable that the techniques & instructions will have to be simple enough for the younger Lego builders.

I think we have to keep future expectation in check, because with the larger sets being rebranded as "18+" sets, it seems Lego is saying "if AFOLs want a much more accurate build you got to buy those with 18+ labels".

So all in all, this new wave is still pretty good considering that they're targeted for younger builders.

Here are my overall thoughts on the new speed champions, and these are based on the fact that I have been following this thread from day one The speed champions are one of my favorite lego themes, and the theme that I look forward to every year. 

Jesko: Looks great, but I've seen better MOCs. The front is too high in my opinion. However, I will still be picking one up when the wave releases.

Supra: Huge disappointment, way too flat and clunky, I was actually looking forward to this set the most out of this whole wave. Huge letdown overall.

Elva: I never liked this car in real life, but lego captured the curves and angles so nicely I will definitely pick one up for myself when this wave releases. I also like the seat print.

C3 and C8r: I like the C3 in real life, but the flat back is absolutely terrible. The C8r looks terrible as well, without stickers, it would be unrecognizable. 

Dragster and Challenger: I am American, but I've never really like muscle cars. I prefer supercars and hypercars. And I never had an interest for dragsters. 

Bronco R and Ford GT Heritage Edition: I've never heard of the Bronco R before the wave leaked, but I love the Ford GT Heritage edition. The colors are beautiful, and this is a huge step up compared to the 6 wide GT from a couple years ago. I don't like the printed headlights, but the rear is just beautifully designed. I will definitely be picking up this set just for the GT.

Overall, I will be buying the Jesko, Elva, and Ford GT and Bronco R

Agree that the Supra is the biggest disappointment overall.  I’ll merge the outside headlight sticker with the middle one together so that they look one piece and omit the inside one.  I think that’ll help.  

The rear of the C3 is too blocky. Wish it had more curves.  Sometimes I like to leave the livery off but the C8 needs it. 

The Elva looks a bit too plane in the front. Wish the used darker blue bricks. 

3 hours ago, MTBingNinja said:

Agree that the Supra is the biggest disappointment overall.  I’ll merge the outside headlight sticker with the middle one together so that they look one piece and omit the inside one.  I think that’ll help.  

The rear of the C3 is too blocky. Wish it had more curves.  Sometimes I like to leave the livery off but the C8 needs it. 

The Elva looks a bit too plane in the front. Wish the used darker blue bricks. 

Yes, I have noticed that LEGO likes to put racing livery on cars that they can't quite recreate well. 

Yes, it seems LEGO is putting more thought into the interior details of their cars.

Edited by noahtheb
I needed to delete the photos, which were uneeded

3 minutes ago, jpx said:

Brickset have just teased their upcomming review on twitter:

https://twitter.com/brickset/status/1392487271631364096

Where they show a closeup of the front right wheel og the Koenigsegg, and the printing says 24x12, so perhaps its the same tire as previous years

I just wrote about it before that the tire may have a gray stripe printed on it. 

1 hour ago, KMPMOCS said:

https://www.newelementary.com/2021/05/lego-speed-champions-2021-interview.html

The SC designer has done an interview with New Elementary, where he said "This is a brand new co-moulded wheel, where the tyre is built on it"

That's fascinating. For anyone who wants the summary: it's a dual molded wheel/tire combo, in black/black and silver/black, made of plastic and rubber dual molded together. There's also a new family of wheel covers that connect with the "goblet connection" - where the wheel's connection point will connect around the outside of a tube. It sounds as if the old wheel covers should work with the new wheels/tires, though there may be some kind of issue? Perhaps a gap? That's speculation based on this quote: "...the old wheel trim in the new wheel wouldn’t make much sense. This is meant to be a new family, not a not a mix-and-match."

Really interesting that we had a brand new Speed Champions wheel for 2020, with the pin connection instead of the old axle one and the updated rotor molding, and now we have an entirely new one for 2021 as well.

tmFNXWs.jpg

Edited by Carbohydrates

Yea, it's very interesting, and it's great that they're constantly looking to improve the SC line up.

From the interview, I sense that 8-wide SC will be around for next few years, at least.

1 hour ago, Carbohydrates said:

That's fascinating. For anyone who wants the summary: it's a dual molded wheel/tire combo, in black/black and silver/black, made of plastic and rubber dual molded together. There's also a new family of wheel covers that connect with the "goblet connection" - where the wheel's connection point will connect around the outside of a tube. It sounds as if the old wheel covers should work with the new wheels/tires, though there may be some kind of issue? Perhaps a gap? That's speculation based on this quote: "...the old wheel trim in the new wheel wouldn’t make much sense. This is meant to be a new family, not a not a mix-and-match."

Really interesting that we had a brand new Speed Champions wheel for 2020, with the pin connection instead of the old axle one and the updated rotor molding, and now we have an entirely new one for 2021 as well.

From the way the article describes the new wheel and its attachment points, I think the old wheel covers would probably still be able to attach (since like other parts in the 1x1 plate family, they have a similar diameter around the "anti-stud")—but because the inside radius of the new wheel is wider (allowing full 2x2 round parts like the radar dishes to be inserted instead of being slightly too small for them), there'd be a noticeable gap between the edge of the wheel cover and the inside rim of the wheel.. Personally I think bringing the width of those wheel covers "in system" and allowing more existing parts to fit as well is a pretty worthwhile trade-off.

Thing I don’t understand; interview took place in May 2020! What!? That means next years sets are already compete? :shrug_confused:
Also, since the designers are always looking for fan feedback, please get colours accurate. Good example is the urus, should of been bright green and the huracan should of been light grey. This year I think the Ford Gt is the only issue with the blue, I can’t tell but think it’s medium azure, should of been medium blue. Overall though, it’s the best LEGO theme ever. 

I agree, some of the colors are slightly off, but I think the Ford GT colors can be replaced with medium blue if needed. Personally, I like to keep all my Speed Champion Sets in mint condition- no modifications.

Edited by noahtheb
unnecessary quote

10 hours ago, KMPMOCS said:

From the interview, I sense that 8-wide SC will be around for next few years, at least

Exactly the same thing I thought. And I have to admit, I'm very happy about that. 

And in my opinion, it is better now to produce and buy a lot of them than after 2030, when they will introduce sugar cane blocks, which can be "different". 

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

Here's my review of the smaller sets:

*snip*

Great reviews. The construction on the front end of the Jesko and all over the Elva look fantastic. Who would've thought SC would be the place to get weapons in interesting colours!

I like that GR minifigure as well, even if the car is nothing to write home about.

I think I agree with your takes here, although I do still like the Elva slightly more than the Jesko. And to answer your fun question, the other usage of the meat cleaver was ofc in black on the Mini Cooper! Such a great little build.

What can I say, well

-Jesco: The color scheme is great, using a meat hanger is also a great idea. Unfortunately, this spoiler is too thick. And the interior a little too empty

-Supra: Well, it could have been much better. Most puffs in the eyes of this spoiler, jet very strange, some too high, disproportionate at all

-Elva: It's super, nice shape. However, I have to attach myself to the main panel. Seriously?! One that's too high. It could be a little lower. 

I also watched ford reviews:

-GT: The colors are basically cool, the front lamps are prints, which does not change the cactus, that they are not very well matched. However, what is most unseasy is the side aerodynamic panels. I thought the width of 8 studs would be clearly visible inside out, however these panels are tightly applied to the side (i guess it looks worse than the GTE of 2017). The back is cool. 

-Bronco: Great, but why don't the wheels have shock absorbers?! Colors very nice. Nice high profiled tires. But in general, it's just great. 

Now I'm just waiting for the next reviews. 

In conclusion, I will buy all the cars anyway. 

I agree, the spoiler is too thick on the Jesko, but I think Lego made it thick for quality control. If it is too thin, it'll be too fragile, which would be a huge downside for me. I've always liked that most Speed Champions always feel more durable than some of the MOCs I've built. 

Brickset has a review of the Ford 2-pack up: https://brickset.com/article/59273/review-76905-ford-gt-heritage-edition-and-bronco-r

Honestly, the first thing that jumped out to me was the minifigs - is 2021 the year LEGO figures out how to do light printing on dark torsos? The light bluish gray accents on the Bronco driver actually look amazing!

cfEemo1.jpg

Edited by Carbohydrates

After seeing more reviews and pictures, I am starting to like the 2021 Speed Champions lineup more. (Except for the Supra, which is still atrocious)

9 hours ago, kbalage said:

Nice review, thank you for mentioning the lack of a curved windshield on the Jesko.

So it seems the colour on the Gt is medium azure, but in the pictures it looks darker? Any chance @kbalage could compare the GT to last years jag set (if you have it), in a side by side picture so we can see how they look together? That would be awesome

Edited by User5346