59 minutes ago, User5346 said:

I’m pretty sure there’re prints. I don’t think it’s too bad, but it would of been better if they introduced a new whole 2x2 quarter tile instead of two seperate pieces.

I always have sooo many questions for the design team, hopefully one day fans get a chance to ask them

Cheers - at my end, I only have one fundamental question for them:

WHY?? :laugh:

1 hour ago, User5346 said:

I’m pretty sure there’re prints. I don’t think it’s too bad, but it would of been better if they introduced a new whole 2x2 quarter tile instead of two seperate pieces.

I always have sooo many questions for the design team, hopefully one day fans get a chance to ask them

Well spotted - I think you are right - the round corner 2x2 part could be printed, however there is definitely a sticker on the tile round 1x1 quarter

This could explain why the overall headlamp assy looks odd to me (i.e. gap between 2 parts + difference of colour depth). 

Is it just me, or do these look more like knock-offs, not original lego… I can’t imagine these are the same speed champions designers. The smaller ones from a couple years ago look better than any of these… though I appreciate they tend to look a bit better in person usually… I’ll still buy them all in the name of being complete but I’m just not excited about any of them. 

28 minutes ago, Bartlomiej said:

Does anyone know what a part of it can be? And what can it be used for in this set? 

IMG_20210503_194039.jpg

Yes Central entertainment dashboard (probably with a sticker on the 1x1 tile)

The bracket underneath is a minifig accessory  (ref 65578)

- quite an unusual part!

...and coincidently I used it for the RH side mirror on my latest MoC this week... see below

Mercedes 300 SL 6

Btw Did anyone spot the roof of the Dodge - It seems that Lego has introduced a new tile (6x4 with no studs)...

Edited by AbFab1974

29 minutes ago, AbFab1974 said:

Btw Did anyone spot the roof of the Dodge - It seems that Lego has introduced a new tile (6x4 with no studs)...

On the Challenger? That's the 6 x 6 tile, the one with the matted texture and center injection (vacuum?) mold mark that people don't like very much. I'd prefer to replace it with a few 2 x 6 tiles, personally.

Edited by Carbohydrates

1 hour ago, Carbohydrates said:

On the Challenger? That's the 6 x 6 tile, the one with the matted texture and center injection (vacuum?) mold mark that people don't like very much. I'd prefer to replace it with a few 2 x 6 tiles, personally.

I am not sure if the middle 2x6 replacement tile would attach to the Challenger.

The Ford and Dodge double packs are my favourite (also the most expensive :grin:). I think I will change the black stripe on the Challenger so it's more purple and less black. A bit too wide for my liking.

1 hour ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I am not sure if the middle 2x6 replacement tile would attach to the Challenger.

Eh, I'll link 'em up with turntable tops or boat studs or something, I'm not too worried about it. That 6 x 6 tile is just awful, though.

So what’s everyone’s thoughts on the new wheels? Will people be changing them back to the old ones?

13 minutes ago, User5346 said:

So what’s everyone’s thoughts on the new wheels? Will people be changing them back to the old ones?

I certainly will on some of my MOCs, particularly the recent vehicles I modelled (the vintage ones work well with 'smaller' wheels)

20 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

The 2-packs are all american to the point that most europeans dont have a clue WTF those cars are

LOL! :laugh: I am with you on that and agree that the 2 packs should of had some brand diversity

In terms of my thoughts of the choice of cars:

elva: Probably the worst current Mclaren they could of chosen tbh? It was a really niche model to begin with and was a “hypercar” I think was probably made as a money grab considering production numbers reduced drastically with its multimillion dollar price tag, but in terms of a speed champion point of view something else like a 765LT or even a senna remake would of made more sense.

jesko: I think this is an awesome choice considering the premiumness of the brand name. Really have no complaints here. 

supra: yeah I could see why LEGO would make this as there is a massive market for JDM cars but IMO the scales a little off when you compare the real car to say a Jesko, the supra is one of those thin sports cars that probably would of looked more accurate at 6 wide but I’m all for 8 wide

corvettes: I’m fine with this although I think a street version of the c8 would of have a wider appeal. The stingray will please a lot of old fans I’m sure.

dodge: biggest fail of the wave such a wasted opportunity. There was recently a dodge set with a similar car in 6 wide and the dragster is such an awkward choice. Who really wanted a licensed dragster?! :sceptic:

ford: I’m super happy with a GT rerelease in 8 wide and I love the colour scheme. The Bronco is ehhh and even though it’s not my thing it is quite a good representation nonetheless.

2 hours ago, vectormatic said:

For clarity, i do know what those cars are because i watch some american car shows on discovery, and keep fairly up to date with car new in general, but the average lego aged kid is probably going to call that C8 a Ferrari.. Either way, as i said none of those cars are actually even sold over here, nor were the old bronco or C3, and drag-racing? LOL...

And stuff like the jesko and elva are niche as megabluck, the jesko is limited to 125 cars made, and no-one outside die-hard car nuts will even know of koenigsegg to begin with, never mind some super limited halo model.

Sorry if my post comes off a bit strong, im just very disappointed seeing these final results, after last years rather tasty line-up of R35 GT-R, F8 and the Quattro, getting two super niche cars and the one of the uglier things to come out of japan is just very disappointing

:thumbup: well said man, I totally agree with you

I’ve mixed feelings about this wave. Yes, I couldn’t be happier to learn TLG didn’t killed the SC line. I still like the 6 wide cars more, but I’ve come in peace with this :tongue:.   

The thing is, the cars look great, but some knock-offs sold on Aliexpress look good as well. TLG has (still) a big advantage; licenses. And besides this, I’m pretty sure the quality of bricks of TLG is superior than fake ones. 
But all of this considered, does this justify the big price difference between TLG SC line sets compared with those knock offs? 

Don’t get me wrong, I have a big heart for LEGO. But I see that the competition is getting closer. The only difference between TLG and knock offs is the license and quality of the bricks. And I’m pretty confident those fake brands will improve themselves with closing the gap.

So why would a parent buy a LEGO product for his kids, instead of buying two or more fake SC-sets for the same price? 

Edited by Daanski

46 minutes ago, Daanski said:

The only difference between TLG and knock offs is the license and quality of the bricks.

Well, not necessarily. A year ago in June I bought an LMP2 car in Aliexpress at 8 studs wide. The quality is really great (I was very surprised). The inscriptions and painting were also original from the Team Jackie Chan DC Racing. 

8 minutes ago, Bartlomiej said:

Well, not necessarily. A year ago in June I bought an LMP2 car in Aliexpress at 8 studs wide. The quality is really great (I was very surprised). The inscriptions and painting were also original from the Team Jackie Chan DC Racing. 

Agree.  Love TLG but I bought teh Aliexpress Lamborghini Countach and the "Elanor" Mustang.  Absolutely stunning builds!   The Lamborghini has a full engine bay with working hood, along with the Elanor having a full engine bay and a working trunk with two nitrous tanks in it.  I don't see TLG attempting to do that! 

2 hours ago, Bartlomiej said:

Well, here you go. Those look indeed fantastic, and apparently the sets are as good as the ones from TLG. Cool about the DC Racing car!

This brings me back to my last point: 

3 hours ago, Daanski said:

So why would a parent buy a LEGO product for his kids, instead of buying two or more fake SC-sets for the same price? 

If the Aliexpress cars are 1-on-1 competitive with TLG SC line, I can imagine people will end up buying those instead of the much pricier sets from LEGO. (Hate to say this :thumbdown:). 

Edited by Daanski

1 minute ago, Daanski said:

Well, here you go. Those look indeed fantastic, and apparently the sets are as good as the ones from TLG. Cool about the DC Racing car!

This brings me back to my last point: 

If the Aliexpress cars are 1-on-1 competitive with TLG SC line, I can imagine people will end up buying those instead of the much pricier sets from LEGO. (Hate to say this :thumbdown:). 

...yup.  Bought three Aliexpress cars, delivered at my door for $33.   Crazy cheap, Crazy pleased with Aliexpress overall.   

19 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

Eh, I'll link 'em up with turntable tops or boat studs or something, I'm not too worried about it. That 6 x 6 tile is just awful, though.

Oh that’s genius! That’s what I need for my modded 8 wide Ghost Rider’s Charger. Thank you!

My opinion:

Jesko - 9/10 - I really like it, the rear wing, the green details and the exhaust
Bronco & GT - 8/10 - interesting livery and details, I don't understand if Bronco has suspensions (similar to the Mini Dakar 75894)

Dodge - 7/10 - I like the Black&yellow dragster , the purple Challenger is well done but i think that 60€ it's too much expensive
Supra - 6/10 - probably it would be perfect with a shorter front and no stickers for the front lights

Elva and Corvette are not so impressive

PS I'm surprised by the absence of a Ferrari set

I've seen a few people disappointed at the fact that all three double packs are American cars, so it prompted me to go back and look at the breakdown over the past few years of how those packs usually shake out.

By my count, we've had four American packs prior to this year (Camaro, Raptor + Model A, Challenger/Charger, and Ford GT).  

On the flip side, we've had seven European packs (Porsche 919/917K Pit Lane, Mercedes F1 team, Porsche 911, Ferrari Garage, MINI, Porsche 911 Finish Line, Jaguar, and Lamborghini)

We've also had three larger sets of European cars (Ferrari Development Center, Mercedes Pit Stop, and Ferrari Truck)

I'm not saying you can't be disappointed if you aren't into the American stuff, I'm just saying that this has happened before on the other end of the spectrum, and I'm sure next year it will probably happen again, skewing the other direction again.  When the Jaguary and Lambo packs came out last year, I have no idea what either of the Jaguary vehicles were and I think I sort of recognized one of the Lamborghinis.  

4 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I've seen a few people disappointed at the fact that all three double packs are American cars, so it prompted me to go back and look at the breakdown over the past few years of how those packs usually shake out.

It’s more so the fact that there are 3 American 2 car packs in this one wave. Another thing is, I’m pretty sure that there are more European car brands out there when compared to the amount American car brands, so that could influence the choice of cars that are made into sets.