2 minutes ago, AbFab1974 said:

Can’t believe the mystery set is a bronco and another Ford GT40. Why????

enough of the Ford GTs - there are so many other interesting vintage sports cars Lego should source - why doing the same again??

Is the SC line just for the American market now :pir-sing:

as for the other sets - I am rather disappointed in overall.

I had great hope for the Koenigsegg for instance, but I find the model does not do justice to the real car  frankly.

so, from all the cars, the McLaren is probably the only one I really like  

what a disappointment Lego!!!

No Day #1 purchased here. But will be setting discount alarms for them all and buying from Amazon with inevitable 20% discount.

I'm glad to finally see some pics. I have mixed feelings.

GT & Bronco: I'm interested in how the Bronco's roll cage was done. The blue bars look shorter than 3L - short rigid hose maybe? I wish the GT's stripe wasn't done so... lazily, for lack of a better word, being all prints and stickers. The headlights look off, but the rest of the build is pretty solid. The rear looks great. Wish it was medium blue, which feels like a better match for Gulf Oil.

Jesko: They didn't capture the car's super dynamic lines all that well. Making the nose steeper or raking the cabin would have helped a lot. The wing is extremely thick. It's a fine model overall, but not amazing.

Supra: Looks pretty bad. Everything is chunky. A far cry from how elegantly they handled fascia lines on last year's Lambo and Jag SUVs. Not a very interesting build for the rest of it, either.

Elva: I'm really impressed. The splitter and angled sides are clever and cleanly executed. The dash and printed(?) seats are great. Brick built lights, front and back! Tons of subtle bodywork executed well. Very little reliance on stickers. This is a really great model, and easily the standout of this wave for me, even though I don't care about the real car at all.

C3 & C8: The C8 looks generic without the bodywork widening as it approaches the rear fenders - really costs the car a lot of its identity. The rear's detailing is ALL stickers. Hate to see that. The C3 is atrocious. It's extremely square and blocky. The rear deck being completely flat is wild! The windscreen feels like a poor choice. Stubby nose. Honestly, this looks closer to a Nova than a Corvette. Its best aspect by far is the taillight / rear bumper assembly, which is fantastic, but way too much was compromised for just that. If you go search for "lego corvette C3" on Flickr, you can find tons of 6- and 8-wide MOCs that looks massively better. This fails to meet the standard set by nearly everyone else.

Challenger & dragster: These look pretty good. Not much I'd change. Still not a fan of the Challenger's side stripe being partially stickers and partially plates, because it doesn't line up well, but that's pretty minor. The rear pillar technique is something new and interesting. Not bad!

I still don't like stickered headlights, and especially when LEGO tries to add fake glow to them on the box art.

My two favorites are the Dodge pack and the Ford pack.  Some of the other ones do look pretty good, but I’ve always been more of a fan of American cars so those are just the ones that interest me most.  The dragster looks absolutely amazing and I love the authentic graphics.  Challenger looks pretty good, I think the shaping could’ve been a bit better but it’s kind of a hard vehicle to capture using Lego parts.  

I think the C3 Vette looks good, but the C8 isn’t really of interest to me and I’m not a diehard Corvette person by any means, so I’ll likely pass on it.  The McLaren also looks good to me, but again, will probably pass.

The Bronco to me is kind of a stunner, it’s super accurate to the source material and looks great.  The GT I can take or leave, maybe I’ll buy it and sell that one to make back some of the cost.  Are those new tires on the Bronco?  

6 hours ago, User5346 said:

You’re right. But I don’t think it looks good. This is probably because people have said the wheels look too small. Why did they have to change it! At least the fenders look the same so changing them is possible

I think I know what they have done to the wheels:

New wheel

The small border from the inner wheel piece has been removed (blue area) so now the rims take up more space (new rims)

Yes; well spotted!

I think you are right and this could also explain how they manage to fit a round dish, as a wheel cap inside a wheel, on both the C3 Corvette and the old Dodge. (That or they released a new dish with a smaller diameter than part 4740t 

All together, I find it quite exciting as larger alloys will look better on 8-studs Sportscars

Some proper mixed views about the new sets, sometimes pictures don't do a product justice so it will be interesting to see what they are like in the flesh. Although new parts are always a welcome I believe especially for people who like making MOC's

All I know is that I will need a bigger study with more shelves!!

11 minutes ago, zagdima said:

Is this a new part? looks like 3x3 tile

Bn9kzL4.jpg

I think it's probably not because that was the case in F40 as I associate well. 

I've just noticed something. While the Ford GT and Koenigsegg Jesko are using the new larger rim and lower-profile tire setup, the rest are not. They're all using the same design as the Dodge Challenger T/A, just with the new larger insert vs a printed dish. It looks like it's either a wider version of the older tire, or thinner version of the old rim, unless there's a way to make the old ones offest somehow.

Upon taking a closer look at the C8r, I think it’s probably the least accurate of the wave. It should of been pointed at the front like the old corvette (maybe LEGO could of introduced wedge tiles). The front of the car is far to flat compared to the real thing as there’s too many right angles. 
Also it seems like some of the cars use brackets to form the trim underneath the side of the car, however a problem with that is the studs of the brackets become very noticeable. I encountered this problem when I was trying to build my own SC moc, and it seems like using brackets is the lowest possible way to have side trim I think.
In my opinion, I had nothing wrong with the old wheels that Speed Champions used and from these pictures I think the bigger rims just look off. Maybe it will look better in person however I’m considering ordering a bunch of old wheels and rims from bricklink. The new rims are also offered in a terrible selection, only 5 spoke and 9 spoke. Yes the Jesko and supra look fine with these style of rims however the 5 spoke wheels on the elva and GT are not accurate at all. I think if LEGO really wanted to update the wheels, they should of created something to represent a brake calliper and have printing on the centre of the rim with the brand’s logo. I guess these new rims will help in removing the small lip of colour if you did two tone wheels where you use a different colour rim to the wheel. Something to note: the bronco seems to be using the old rim and wheels :shrug_confused: 

One more thing, the use of the small fenders on the C8r and Gt - why? The C8r does not benefit from them as far as I can tell however it probably helps the GT as the front is angled downwards and there is a large piece that creates the splitter. I am definitely considering replacing the C8r fenders with regular ones.

I’d be interested on everyone else’s thoughts on the things I’ve bought up too :)

Edited by User5346

56 minutes ago, User5346 said:

I guess these new rims will help in removing the small lip of colour if you did two tone wheels where you use a different colour rim to the wheel

Unfortunately no, the small lip is still there, but clearly it does not show on black rim (thanks to some photoshopping of Lego’s official pics). However, it is visible on the silver rims (i.e. the Jesko’s ones)

Question: what kind of Transparent red part is used for the Elva’s taillights? Any ideas?

3 minutes ago, AbFab1974 said:

Unfortunately no, the small lip is still there, but clearly it does not show on black rim (thanks to some photoshopping of Lego’s official pics). However, it is visible on the silver rims (i.e. the Jesko’s ones)

That’s true, although I meant no more lip of colour between the rim and tyre. But as you pointed out the lip behind is a bit annoying 

8 minutes ago, AbFab1974 said:

Question: what kind of Transparent red part is used for the Elva’s taillights? Any ideas?

Maybe this? :shrug_confused: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=53705#T=C&C=17

As one who is generally stoked to see new SC sets, buy them all. I must say I have never been as underwhelmed as I am with these sets, I sure hope they are better than what I am seeing here. They just don't look very good at all, to me and why is that Dodge set so pricey. I will likely buy all the sets, always do but if they are as mediocre as they appear to be, it will be my last time and I would expect the line will become much less popular.

I do reserve final judgement until I have sets in hand and really hope to be pleasantly surprised, as literally Speed Champions is one of my all time favorite themes.

1 hour ago, AbFab1974 said:

To me they just look like a 1x1 quarter round flat plate.

Loving the color choices. Some look better at different angles, and some of those stickers as headlights look so weird, a big no. The Ford Bronco looks great.

As an aside: I was so disappointed by the C3, I was thinking about it all day. So I decided to design my own this afternoon (in 6-wide, my preference) to make me feel better.

ttqcDuLs.png yZ5eWrHs.png qxxK7vxs.png

Edited by Carbohydrates

The rear of the elva is incredibly strange on the LEGO version, and I’m thinking of doing a mod as soon as I get it

Elva compared

Wow those double-packs are dissapointing! Only american cars, and I had to google the Bronco - never heard of it.  I'll be getting the McLaren and perhaps the Toyota, but thats it.

Hopefully the next wave will have a more diverse selection of cars.. 

For what it's worth, I'll be getting all of them :) I might get the Dodge and Supra on discount, but I really like the rest of them.

9 hours ago, zachsterosu said:

I've just noticed something. While the Ford GT and Koenigsegg Jesko are using the new larger rim and lower-profile tire setup, the rest are not.

What if in Koenigsegg and GT are normal old tires and rims, and the tires are only painted gray stripe? 

9 minutes ago, Bartlomiej said:

I've just noticed something. While the Ford GT and Koenigsegg Jesko are using the new larger rim and lower-profile tire setup, the rest are not.

Wow I understand what you mean and this is really confusing me now. I doubt there is a painted stripe on the tyre as there no way it’ll be that perfect, plus on the GT you can see silver carry through underneath the tyre. Did LEGO just invent another tyre that’s very thin? I am so confused because the rims on the GT and Jesko have a border between the rim and the tyre, but they are still not using the old 5 spoke ones. But on the elva the rims look the same as the GT and Jesko but there is a border between the rim and tyre! Whattt! :wacko:

Edited by User5346

1 hour ago, User5346 said:

I understand what you mean and this is really confusing me now. I doubt there is a painted stripe on the tyre as there no way it’ll be that perfect, plus on the GT you can see silver carry through underneath the tyre. Did LEGO just invent another tyre that’s very thin? I am so confused because the rims on the GT and Jesko have a border between the rim and the tyre, but they are still not using the old 5 spoke ones

I think all of them use new rims, larger alloys and thinner profile tyres.

For this reason, I suspect all of them have the border/lip between the rim and the tyre - not just the Jesko or GT.

We can’t see it on the other models because the rims are black and Lego has photoshopped the pictures , imo.

btw - from this whole lot, 1 particular feature deserves the Lego Oscar of Ugliness  (and Laziness at the same time), I think: the headlamp stickers on the Ford GT.

Seriously, were these stickers designed by a toddler? Even some AliExpress MOC stickers look better than that - that’s how low it is :pir-bawling:

Given that the model doesn’t look much of anything without stickers anyway, Lego designers should have invested another couple of mins of their precious time, to do some half-decent stickers and redeem themselves a bit on the overall design front. Not like we have been already waiting for 1.5yr for this new SC series :pir-sing:

Anyway, If I buy this set (which I am increasingly likely not to)  I’ll certainly replace those stickers by my own ones. 

6 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

As an aside: I was so disappointed by the C3, I was thinking about it all day. So I decided to design my own this afternoon (in 6-wide, my preference) to make me feel better.

ttqcDuLs.png yZ5eWrHs.png qxxK7vxs.png

Yep - so much better already, when introducing some curves on the front and rear wings. How could Lego get it so wrong?

Hey Lego, time to hire some new designers for the future SC models...

Edited by AbFab1974

8 minutes ago, AbFab1974 said:

btw - from this whole lot, 1 particular feature deserves the Lego Oscar of Ugliness  (and Laziness at the same time), I think: the headlamp stickers on the Ford GT.

I’m pretty sure there’re prints. I don’t think it’s too bad, but it would of been better if they introduced a new whole 2x2 quarter tile instead of two seperate pieces.

10 minutes ago, AbFab1974 said:

Hey Lego, time to hire some new designers for the future SC models...

I always have sooo many questions for the design team, hopefully one day fans get a chance to ask them